• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Expected more of IWs second weekend, but damn it's climbing up fast with its OW numbers and not even out in China. Really interested in its final number at the end of the run, maybe 2.2 bil?

GraveRobberX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think deadpool releasing before solo gives infinity war a slightly better cushion...

not many parents will be taking their 10 year olds to see an r-rated flick, whereas they will take them to see star wars

You would think that, but kids get parents to let them watch most of this

My dad had me and my bro watch Terminator 2 with us, like we were still young. I think I was 11 or 12 baby bro 5 or 6.

Parents just see Deadpool as raunchy superhero, shit they buy so many of the action figures for them

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
My family, being that we're Mexican, forced me to watch How to Be a Latin Lover and I was surprised at how decent that film was. It was also funny how Ken Marino called up every single of his comedian friends to make a cameo.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen a bunch of Overboard commercials on Univision and I'm just now realizing Anna Faris is in that movie. Those commercials make it seem like it's nothing but Derbez 24/7 while this English trailer makes it seem like Anna Faris is the main character.

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
You didn't say anything about standalone or whatever. You said it didn't have anything on IW.

I gave you two things it did have on it.
Are oscars given on the basis of RT and MC score?

We are talking about BP being nominated for Oscars and I am saying there is no category it deserves to be nominated for, same for IW. Maybe they can try for visuals for IW and Costume for BP but other than that, both are same quality wise.

Dec 12, 2017
Are oscars given on the basis of RT and MC score?

We are talking about BP being nominated for Oscars and I am saying there is no category it deserves to be nominated for, same for IW.

Oscars are given out for a number of reasons, some of which includes critical acclaim.

In your subjective opinion, they are equals but in terms of objective social impact and commentary, IW isn't close.

It's laughable to say otherwise.

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One of the things I love about BP is that they took a potentially extremely controversial elephant in the room with the source material, and decided to make it the entire point of the whole movie.

That's some balls of vibranium

Dec 12, 2017
One of the things I love about BP is that they took a potentially extremely controversial elephant in the room with the source material, and decided to make it the entire point of the whole movie.

That's some balls of vibranium

Naw bro, IW and BP are equals...actually, no, BP has nothing on IW and is certainly not deserving of Oscar talk.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Expected more of IWs second weekend, but damn it's climbing up fast with its OW numbers and not even out in China. Really interested in its final number at the end of the run, maybe 2.2 bil?
I mean, that's still a pretty phenomenal number. It was never gonna have a hold as impressive as BP's (let alone TFA).

Why do you people keep setting yourselves up for disappointment?
It's like, the thing to do for a lot of Marvel fans, lol.

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
Oscars are given out for a number of reasons, some of which includes critical acclaim.

In your subjective opinion, they are equals but in terms of objective social impact and commentary, IW isn't close.

It's laughable to say otherwise.
Social impact? IW has got it covered really well. The movie is popular in different circles but it will have more impact than BP.

I just don't see how someone can say that BP deserves Oscar nominations with a straight face. It had terrible visuals, average predictable story, methodical acting and it was a comic book movie through the end with even a goofy final fight scene. It is nowhere close to something like The Dark Knight and that movie never got Oscars wins (aside from well deserved Joker win), so why should Black Panther be considered here?

I would love to hear your reasoning aside from merely pointing out its RT and MC score.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Neither Infinity War nor Black Panther deserve an Oscar in any main category. The CGI on Thanos does deserve an Oscar for visual effects, it is incredible.

Dec 12, 2017
User warned: acting with unnecessary hostility towards other users.
Social impact? IW has got it covered really well. The movie is popular in different circles but it will have more impact than BP.

I just don't see how someone can say that BP deserves Oscar nominations with a straight face. It had terrible visuals, average predictable story, methodical acting and it was a comic book movie through the end with even a goofy final fight scene. It is nowhere close to something like The Dark Knight and that movie never got Oscars wins (aside from well deserved Joker win), so why should Black Panther be considered here?

I would love to hear your reasoning aside from merely pointing out its RT and MC score.

I was gonna respond to this post. I wanted to. Then I read the bolded.

The poster conflates "social impact" with being popular in different circles. Sigh...

Then, the poster calls this film, a film with an "average predictable story".

SLAYVEN, what the fuck am I even supposed to do with this? What kind of reasonable conversation can be had when THIS is the starting point for this guy?

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
I was gonna respond to this post. I wanted to. Then I read the bolded.

The poster conflates "social impact" with being popular in different circles. Sigh...

Then, the poster calls this film, a film with an "average predictable story".

SLAYVEN, what the fuck am I even supposed to do with this? What kind of reasonable conversation can be had when THIS is the starting point for this guy?
You are right, I might have made a mistake here. I don't deny the cultural impact BP has, and I didn't really had the intentions to do so.

The rest of the criticism towards the movie stands for me though. It is a good movie but IMHO, it is also overrated even with its flaws. With that, I have said whatever I wanted to say on this subject.

IW > BP for me. Neither need the Oscars for more visibility. They are already popular enough. They should just focus on movies that deserve it instead.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
A Wrinkle in Time was embarrassingly terrible, you would imagine that if you had a movie that was entirely reliant on three kids, you would get kids who could act.

Amazed at Overboard, I honestly wasn't even thinking it would hit a million it's opening weekend let alone over 10.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Black Panther only needs 6.87 million to cross 700 million mark. Looks like it take at least another 4 weeks, if the drops hold.

I say 2.4 mil —> 1.9 mil —> 1.4 mil —> 1.1 mil.

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed IW and I consider it in my Top 3 MCU movies but the person who said it will be MCU's RotK is wrong. It is not. It is not even on the same level as The Dark Knight.

RotK was just something else. I consider the movie perfect in every way. It had the best visual effects, set and costume design, great direction by Peter (his best work), amazing acting by main and supporting cast, and a satisfying emotional pay off at end.

LOTR is easily my favorite trilogy in movies. It is a pity that The Godfather never managed to complete its trilogy in the same way. Godfather will remain the best Duology forever, I guess.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ROTK didn't get Oscars for quality, it got Oscars as a reward for the trilogy as a whole. So depending on what else releases, it's not outside realm of possibility IW gets a nom.
But there's still another Avengers movie to come to close out the arc. Then the awards will come.

What's bullshit is that Ant Man and the Wasp hits the UK an entire month later then the US. I want my Captain Marvel setup.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
That's a respectable drop.

are you

are you really

You could remove half the Oscar nominees and Infinity War still wouldn't make it.

I generally agree with this sentiment but it's clear that something has to change soon. They're out of touch with audiences and it will only get worse and worse until change happens. There is absolutely a valid argument that a film like Black Panther deserves to be one of freaking 10 best picture nominees. A win? Unlikely. But it's time to start recognizing audience-pleasing blockbusters if they're well made films.

And when it happens, pretentious film dorks will be upset. Oh well.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
RotK was just something else. I consider the movie perfect in every way. It had the best visual effects, set and costume design, great direction by Peter (his best work), amazing acting by main and supporting cast, and a satisfying emotional pay off at end.

No stakes though.

I am obviously poking fun at the "no steaks" people.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
But there's still another Avengers movie to come to close out the arc. Then the awards will come.

What's bullshit is that Ant Man and the Wasp hits the UK an entire month later then the US. I want my Captain Marvel setup.

i feel your pain brother

every single midnight showing, every single thursday 6pm showing, every single tuesday 10am showing... and this is how i get rewarded feige?!

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Neither Infinity War nor Black Panther deserve an Oscar in any main category. The CGI on Thanos does deserve an Oscar for visual effects, it is incredible.

Best original song All the Stars, best costumes

Infinity War for visual effects

That's about it. Though I'm getting pretty certain that Black Panther will also be nominated for best picture as well.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Black Panther will be nominated for Best Picture, yes. 80+ Metacritic, huge cultural phenomenon, not an insignificant chance of being the biggest domestic hit of 2018, socially important in a way the large majority of moneymakers aren't, support from the right people in Hollywood.

BlackNMild2k1

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Black Panther only needs 6.87 million to cross 700 million mark. Looks like it take at least another 4 weeks, if the drops hold.

I say 2.4 mil —> 1.9 mil —> 1.4 mil —> 1.1 mil.

Are you also counting the mid-week gross in those weekend drop numbers?

BP was still doing close to $400k a day during last week. that's $1.6M Mon-Thurs + the Weekend Gross of $3.1M (est)
If it does around $300k a day all this upcoming week x4 days, that's $1.2M + your $2.4M for next weekend, that's already more than half of what's needed to get to the $700M goal.

so unless my math is way off, looks more like 2 (maybe 2.5) weeks away.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I generally agree with this sentiment but it's clear that something has to change soon. They're out of touch with audiences and it will only get worse and worse until change happens. There is absolutely a valid argument that a film like Black Panther deserves to be one of freaking 10 best picture nominees. A win? Unlikely. But it's time to start recognizing audience-pleasing blockbusters if they're well made films.

I mean, the Oscars are already kinda dumb, so whatever

But "ratings are down so we should just plop Oscars on whatever made money this year" would be so stupid. Might as well just say fuck it and go full Spike VGAs at that point if we really are gonna care only about ratings.

guek

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will this be Marvels Return of the King? Im expecting Oscars in January.

I fully expect at least a nomination for VFX and possibly sound mixing but nothing more than that. BP better get a costume design and best original song. BP might also deserve a production design nom but imo IW draws from too many different design influences to get it.

As of 2014, Oscar voters are 91% white, 76% male, with an average age of 63. That's what needs changing, first and foremost.

Last edited:

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I mean, the Oscars are already kinda dumb, so whatever

But "ratings are down so we should just plop Oscars on whatever made money this year" would be so stupid. Might as well just say fuck it and go full Spike VGAs at that point if we really are gonna care only about ratings.

There's a middle ground between what the Oscars are now and the Spike VGAs. You know that.

Hell, not even a middle ground. Just nominating more movies that audiences actually give a crap about.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I would be shocked if any MCU movie ever gets anything at the Oscars above a nomination for Best Score, Best Visual Effects or Best Costume Design. These movies are fun and some of them are great, but Oscar-compatible? Nah.

They're incredibly competent films and even the less solid ones are still a fun way to waste two hours, but they don't really do anything unique with the medium. Lord of the Rings got Oscars because it was a landmark in visual effects and film production - it essentially set the tone for big-budget filmmaking and defined the process by which studios make movies nowadays. And even then, it was Return of the King claiming the lion's share of those Oscars (at least, the important ones - Fellowship and Towers only got recognized for minor awards), primarily as a means of rewarding that production team retroactively for all their hard work over the course of the three films.

The MCU movies are just so standardized and so frequent now that any individual film doesn't really stand out enough for the Academy to make that kind of case for it. Instead, I think they should give Kevin Feige some kind of award for his work in creating the franchise. That's probably the best way to really handle it, because these movies aren't unique, distinctive or artistically-crafted enough to justify a Best Picture nom, but the MCU's impact on film as a whole I think should absolutely be recognized.

Status
Not open for further replies.