Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

This is ResetEra's weekend box office thread. While the OP focuses on the popular weekend tallies, we typically discuss box office throughout the week as well when notable films are playing. New threads are are posted each Sunday morning, between 8-10am PST.

IwPmSLo.png

0JQ8zg0.png

Xp1VzQB.png

6nJhWUR.png

sefnAEP.png

It's not a good weekend for franchises, specifically old dusty ones as the sixth Terminator movie, Terminator: Dark Fate is seeing an awful future at the weekend domestic box office with $28.9M, a terrible result for a planned Paramount/Skydance Media/Fox tentpole that reportedly cost $185M (some even say it was $196M). Saturday was estimated around $10.9M, +3% from Friday+previews' $10.6M, but still nothing to celebrate.

I heard worldwide, global audiences are also turning their noses ups: China's box office came in at an estimated $28.2M, way under its $40M-$50M many were expecting and No. 2 in the market to local title Better Days which amassed $166.9M. Disney/Fox is hoping that they hit $40M from 36 territories and we'll see about that soon. Japan is the only market left (Terminator: Genisys made $22M). Breakeven for Dark Fate lies around $480M+ according to finance sources, and that's with lofty Cameron-Arnold Schwarzenegger participations. Terminator likes his eyes, will likely see red.

DOMESTIC WEEKEND BOX OFFICE

*Click the chart to view the full source

Weekend Box Office Archive and Appendix

Last edited:

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Christ, I was expecting a lower number of Terminator, but less than 30mil??? Guess this franchise is dead (for the best).

bud

Oct 27, 2017
no idea why anyone would even pump close to $200m in a new terminator film.

no one gives a fuck.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I want to say we are nearing the endgame, but we had Endgame at the beginning of the year.

Db1y4BZ.jpg

I think it's certain to say now that Dumbo is the biggest flop Disney has this year with Maleficent passing it. Still, doesn't look like Maleficent is passing it's original so, dead dragon still holds for this.

Last edited:

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think the weird hostility against Cameron would calm down after Avengers took over but I guess not.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Just give up on this stupid franchise. It hasn't had a good film in almost 30 years.

Carpathia

Oct 25, 2017
I guess Linda Hamilton did nothing to attract moviegoers.

Is probably best to let the franchise rest for a decade and try again with a completely new story.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I'm convinced Genisys still stunk so bad, people opted to skip this one. Which sucks.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So Terminator is bad? After finding Joker totally excellent I can't make heads or tails of critic reviews.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Joker is still a beast.

Terminator just doesn't interest me after the bad taste Genisys left in my mouth.

Oct 27, 2017
The Terminator franchise has been abysmal for Almost 30 years now. It's obvious no one has been able to bring something fresh and exciting to reinvigorate it. It's about time it's laid to rest for a long slumber.

Dec 12, 2017
If only that hostility was directly tied to his bombs. He's like a punching bag all year round only beaten by Snyder.
Preach.

OP acting like Cameron hasn't gotten shit on for the last 10 years since the release of AHBUHDAR. His most prominent haters are on record both here and at the other place, The Phantom Zone.

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I never thought we'd live in a world where a Halloween sequel to the original with Jamie Lee Curtis (the 11th installment) would open to more than triple of what a Teminator 2 sequel with Linda Hamilton would. Not complaining but that just goes to show had far down that one franchise has gone.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Terminator seemed to really be banking on Cameron's name to pull in the crowd.

Doesn't really seem to mean much to the current generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.