G-X

Oct 28, 2017
With the recent developments around PSVR, both that there are no PS5 versions of PS VR titles and the comment from Jim Ryan I think it is pretty clear Sony is at best taking a wait and see approach for future VR headsets and software, and more likely than not moving away from the technology entirely. As someone with a decent PSVR game collection, and it being my only headset I was hoping we would get an updated unit with inside out tracking and better screens and finally ditch the move controllers, but that ship has sailed so now the next best option would be for some of the best PSVR exclusives to come to PC.

Key among these is Astro Bot Rescue Mission. Much like how Astro's Playroom is being touted as the feature showcase for the dual sense, Astro Bot was the first game that really really impressed me in VR.

From what I have seen of Playroom it doesn't quite capture the expansive world that Astro Bot did, and as someone now at non-Sony headsets this is one of a handful of PSVR exclusives that they should port if they are not going forward with hardware development.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
With the recent developments around PSVR, both that there are no PS5 versions of PS VR titles and the comment from Jim Ryan I think it is pretty clear Sony is at best taking a wait and see approach for future VR headsets and software, and more likely than not moving away from the technology entirely. As someone with a decent PSVR game collection, and it being my only headset I was hoping we would get an updated unit with inside out tracking and better screens and finally ditch the move controllers, but that ship has sailed so now the next best option would be for some of the best PSVR exclusives to come to PC.

Key among these is Astro Bot Rescue Mission. Much like how Astro's Playroom is being touted as the feature showcase for the dual sense, Astro Bot was the first game that really really impressed me in VR.

From what I have seen of Playroom it doesn't quite capture the expansive world that Astro Bot did, and as someone now at non-Sony headsets this is one of a handful of PSVR exclusives that they should port if they are not going forward with hardware development.
Lmao...people just don't have patience on this forum. These posts always look dating AF in the future.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
Unless I missed some news, pretty sure they have said in the past they are developing new VR HW. There are even patents to prove it as well.
They just want to focus on one piece of new HW at a time is all.

RadioJoNES

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think they are gonna make a new headset. A cooler one without the stupid fucking move controllers from 2010.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Sony of course isn't going to talk about new headset when they never officially announced it.

Neither are they going to prematurely announce PSVR2 when it likely isn't going to come out until later, on top of that having to focus on PS5's launch first in terms of marketing rather then causing confusion with two hardware releases.

We may see PSVR2 announced next year or the year after that.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Didn't they file a patent for a new VR controller design recently? PSVR also sold really well, and I remember reading that Sony was quite pleased with it. There will definitely be a PSVR 2. My guess is they are just sending a message not to expect it anytime soon.

Commodore64

Oct 25, 2017
I swear some resetera posters must be incredibly fit with all the jumping to conclusions they do.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
On another note though. Even with PSVR2 being likely made I do wonder if they will do a port version of Rescue Mission regardless? Seeing as we are getting PS5 rereleases of titles but PlayRoom is included with every PS5 so as a side quick thing before Rescue Mission 2 for PSVR2 they can release the OG game reworked as a non VR title.

They'd have to change some stuff but I can see it selling well if they marketed it and sold it at a good price.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
The thing is, VR is a very deliberate part of Astrobot's design. It's not as simple as porting the new one to VR since it wasn't made for it.

Also, Sony is almost assuredly not giving up on VR hardware. There are likely multiple games being developed for the new headset that will probably be out in 2-3 years.

PSVR was proof of concept and it more or less succeeded; now that Sony has more experience under their belt and a much more powerful system, round two will be completely different.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
I'm down with an Astrobot port, but I'm not feeling you on Sony abandoning VR.

Sony must know there are folks like me thirsty for a PSVR2.

sun-drop

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
wellington , new zealand
thats what you got from sony's PR on this?

it's pretty clear they have PSVR2 on the way, and its launch date is about two years away .. they don't want to step on PS5's first year titles with a distracting second platform launch

Mar 23, 2018
I don't think they'd be giving out FREE adapters to PS VR customers for a 4 year old headset if they didn't see a future in VR on PlayStation. They would just tell you to keep your PS4 to play PS VR on. From all accounts they've been happy with sales but think they were still too early with the VR craze before it became ubiquitous.

On another note though. Even with PSVR2 being likely made I do wonder if they will do a port version of Rescue Mission regardless? Seeing as we are getting PS5 rereleases of titles but PlayRoom is included with every PS5 so as a side quick thing before Rescue Mission 2 for PSVR2 they can release the OG game reworked as a non VR title.

They'd have to change some stuff but I can see it selling well if they marketed it and sold it at a good price.
The amount of work that has to go into making Astro Bot a flat-screen title is comparable to making a new game outright, and chances are pretty darn good that they've been working on a full-fledged new game for a while now. Whether or not Astro Bot 2 is strictly VR or playable in both modes is up for debate, but I don't see them making such a big effort to convert a game over like that when there's really not that much call for it.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
If PSVR2 is a few years away, can Sony at least sell me a processor box that will allow HDMI 2.1 passthrough? Integrating PSVR into the PS5 is going to be painful.

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
What did I miss, how has "that ship sailed?"

They're releasing a new console right now, give it a year and a half or two🙄

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Astrobot Rescue Mission is a VR game designed for VR. You can't play it without head tracking. At least not well or in an engaging manner.

Astro's PlayRoom will probably get a DLC expansion or something with new levels.

Rescue Mission will likely get an update or remaster for PSVR2 and a sequel.

Chase1ne

Oct 12, 2020
Clearly, they have shown an interest in future VR. Otherwise, they wouldn't be doing R&D on a new headset or brand new VR controllers, which they've filed patents for.

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of work that has to go into making Astro Bot a flat-screen title is comparable to making a new game outright, and chances are pretty darn good that they've been working on a full-fledged new game for a while now. Whether or not Astro Bot 2 is strictly VR or playable in both modes is up for debate, but I don't see them making such a big effort to convert a game over like that when there's really not that much call for it.
True, I just hope there is a lot of popularity after some early PS5 adopters play Astro.

Then they can make both a VR Sequel AND a non VR title for this gen.

And maybe if they interest is big enough they can do a retooling re release akin to how Spiderman: MM has Spiderman remastered as an "ultimate" bundle.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
No. Astro Bot is a great platformer, but it being so amazing is almost entirely because of its success as a VR title.

It would be like wanting a 2D sidescroller version of Mario 64.

Oct 25, 2017
A bit soon for this. Especially seeing as how London Studio announced an update for Blood and Truth. It's not a PS5 version of the game, but it might as well be.

Also, Rescue Mission in 2D wouldn't even be 1/100th of the experience it is in VR. It'd just be another normal platformer, rather than one of the best games of the last generation.

Oct 27, 2017
No. Astro Bot is a great platformer, but it being so amazing is almost entirely because of its success as a VR title.

A bit soon for this. Especially seeing as how London Studio announced an update for Blood and Truth. It's not a PS5 version of the game, but it might as well be.

Also, Rescue Mission in 2D wouldn't even be 1/100th of the experience it is in VR. It'd just be another normal platformer, rather than one of the best games of the last generation.
I believe OP is saying port to PCVR, not to a 2D game.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get how people are taking Jim Ryan's quote to mean PlayStation has given up on VR. Anyone making VR hardware knows it's a niche for now and they want to try and build an audience. Saying that VR's mainstream success is a few years away doesn't mean they want no part of it until then.

NightHamAlum

Apr 20, 2020
Washington, D.C.
This is a crock of shit. Sony outright said PSVR is still a part of their future plans but that this year was strictly focused on the rollout of the PS5. There's already multiple patents for a PSVR 2 and corresponding controllers. Not to mention making it backwards compatible with the current PSVR headsets.

This is a bunch of nonsense.

That's where I'm at with the game. The platforming is fine and does have some nice execution elements to it that pop up here and there, but it's all the VR integration that really takes it to the next level by making the player not only the camera, but a physical object in the world to help and interact with Astro to pull off the genuinely impressive bits of puzzle-solving it has throughout. The mine cart level alone is enough to prove just how important the VR experience is to the game since you could not pull something like that off in a typical 3D platformer situation.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
How many squats do you need to do to jump to this many conclusions?

Oct 31, 2017
The premise of this thread is highly inaccurate. Just because they aren't showing strong interest in promoting PSVR now doesn't mean they aren't fully onboard with VR. Has it occurred to you that they are moving on to PSVR 2.0. What's the point of having a new next gen console if it's being held back by ancient hardware like the current PSVR? It's pretty obvious they are hard at work on the PSVR 2.0 and they will reveal to us when they are ready. We've already seen numerous patents that show that they are working hard in implementing new technology into future VR headsets.

You also make it sound like Sony has completely abandoned PSVR when they have the devs of Blood and Truth coming out with a patch that utilizes PS5 hardware.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
#1 - Sony is not giving up on VR anytime soon
#2 - sure yeah I'd take an Astrobot PC port cuz it means I could play wirelessly with my Quest but it's not gonna happen on the basis that Sony is done with console VR

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
The original PSVR had something like a 5% attach rate. I have no idea why people thought Sony would be launching with the next gen of VR when the user base to support it won't exist for several years.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
Op seems to be talking about porting to PCVR, not other platforms without VR.

With the recent developments around PSVR, both that there are no PS5 versions of PS VR titles and the comment from Jim Ryan I think it is pretty clear Sony is at best taking a wait and see approach for future VR headsets and software, and more likely than not moving away from the technology entirely. As someone with a decent PSVR game collection, and it being my only headset I was hoping we would get an updpated unit with inside out tracking and better screens and finally ditch the move controllers, but that ship has sailed so now the next best option would be for some of the best PSVR exclusives to come to PC.

Uh not even close.

They're ensuring that PSVR users don't get abandoned in the mean time. All PSVR games will be playable on PS4. So they aren't required to get on PS5 just to continue playing PSVR games.
We can expect a PSVR successor in ~2 years or so.

PSVR is only 4 years old, in a company that tends to only make new hardware every 5-7 years. They've talked about successor quite extensively. Just be patient.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly confident they'll make a PSVR2 for the PS5 but they're probably waiting a couple of years for the PS5 user base to grow. No sense selling an expensive peripheral and developing games for it if the user base isn't there yet.

Nov 21, 2017
Is this just a PC VR port begging thread because Sony obviously aren't abandoning VR I mean for example London Studio just announced a PS5 upgrade for Blood and Truth today.