Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Look at the colours! The abilities! The world map!

Can we please take Donkey Kong out of development jail and bring him to the modern era? Kirby looks fantastic, now I want a Donkey Kong game with Tropical Freeze level difficulty to complement it.

Even Crash 4 presents a good target for what a Donkey Kong Country 3D World could look like.

2792aab0c0597acd17f0d8bcf39a2a349a230bf2.gifv

And while you're at it Nintendo, make Diddy Kong Racing as well

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
After playing Luigi's Mansion 3 (which is one of the most impressive games on the Switch), I feel that Next Level Games would be a good fit for a DK 3D game

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
Banned
May 22, 2020
Nintendo has consistently not known what to do with Donkey Kong as a franchise since Rare left them behind. The Returns games were good thanks to Retro Studios but with them tied up with whatever is going on with Metroid Prime (presumably, that other game they claimed to be working on but never announced never materialized), I wouldn't hold my breath for Nintendo to do anything worthwhile with Donkey Kong.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Isn't the Mario team working on a 3D DK game right now? I like to think we will hear something about it soon enough.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
If it is anything remotely like the garbage they pushed on us with DK64, I have zero interest.

Do love me some Donkey Kong Country, though. Donkey Kong Country 3D might be cool but then again, the last two Country games have been really bad

parski

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 13, 2017
Why are the comments disabled for that trailer? It looks SLICK!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A new 3D Donkey Kong is fine so long as it's not another DK64.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Nintendo has consistently not known what to do with Donkey Kong as a franchise since Rare left them behind. The Returns games were good thanks to Retro Studios but with them tied up with whatever is going on with Metroid Prime (presumably, that other game they claimed to be working on but never announced never materialized), I wouldn't hold my breath for Nintendo to do anything worthwhile with Donkey Kong.

I'd love a Donkey Kong take on Mario Odyssey but instead of moons you're getting bananas instead. Just that level of development quality and world design.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of wonder if Bowser's Fury was a test ground for DK, if that's what the team is indeed working on.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
honestly would be fine with another 2d one as well. nintendo hasn't really put out a 2d platformer in a while, maybe because the switch dpad is so bad lol

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Just want to add my voice to the echo chamber that it is time for another Donkey Kong and while I would be happy with another 2D (Tropical Freeze is the GOAT platformer) I am super ready for another attempt at 3D

ZiZ

Oct 27, 2017
Having three 3D platformers might be too much for Nintendo. They need to be unique and very different from the others. I could see Donkey Kong go further in the mario odyssey direction, with large expansive worlds. Kirby could go the Mario 3D World (or Bowser's fury route). Mario is where they try new things.

grumpybat

Apr 12, 2021
USA
Star Fox Grand Prix RIP.

3D DK has to be the next step.

OP
OP
Arta

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having three 3D platformers might be too much for Nintendo. They need to be unique and very different from the others. I could see Donkey Kong go further in the mario odyssey direction, with large expansive worlds. Kirby could go the Mario 3D World (or Bowser's fury route). Mario is where they try new things.
But why? Mario Odyssey was over 4 years ago, 3D World is a remake of a Wii U game and Bowser's Fury is a tech demo. We aren't exactly inundated with Nintendo first party games, let alone 3d games or 3d platformers.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
DK64 was bad.

So you're basically asking for a new entry in a franchise featuring a genre unsuccessful within that franchise.

It'd be like if I made a thread asking for a new Zelda FPS because I liked "Link's Crossbow Training" ten years ago

OP
OP
Arta

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just want to add my voice to the echo chamber that it is time for another Donkey Kong and while I would be happy with another 2D (Tropical Freeze is the GOAT platformer) I am super ready for another attempt at 3D
Don't get me wrong, I want both.

Know what would be really crazy? If the Yooka Laylee devs also came out with a YL game at the same time (it's been two years since Impossible Lair)

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
DK64 was bad.

So you're basically asking for a new entry in a franchise featuring a genre unsuccessful within that franchise.

It'd be like if I made a thread asking for a new Zelda FPS because I liked "Link's Crossbow Training" ten years ago
DK64 was bad because of core gameplay decisions that were made when designing the game. The concept and potential execution of a modern 3D Donkey Kong game can be made very, very well and if anything, watering down that potential due to a subpar Nintendo 64 game is thinking inside the box of a box of a box of a box.