AshGambit

Sep 4, 2019
There's auto HDR. Haven't noticed a performance difference but I am running a 3080 and 5600x. The Ryzen bug seems to be fixed.

If you go for the new gen Intel CPUs you get the better performance from the e cores or whatever they're called.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Only difference is the improved UI, performance feels the same.

There's also auto HDR which is neat.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
So far it feels pretty much identical to Windows 10 for me in terms of gaming performance.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Everything has been fine here, running 11 the last two months or so, I don't see a reason to stay with Windows 10 personally.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
If you have an HDR display, there are two advantages:

1. The OS now handles SDR content much better in HDR mode. For the most case, SDR apps no longer look washed out in HDR mode, although I have found some that still don't work correctly - specifically Steam. But it's good enough that it is now feasible to leave HDR enabled all the time, rather than having to switch it on and off any time you play an HDR game.

2. There is an Auto HDR option that will attempt to do HDR conversion on SDR games, similar to the one on Xbox. It's not as good as native HDR support, and doesn't really work with everything, but it can be fun to play around with.

There are also some downsides. I have had some stability issues with Nvidia's drivers that were not present for me on W10. The driver has crashed a couple when doing things like enabling / disabling Gsync or changing refresh rate. It may be related to the fact that I have multiple monitors, with one of them being HDMI 2.1.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I've been using windows 11 for months and I would not recommend upgrading right now. The only reason I continue using it is that I don't want to spend an hour clean installing Windows 10. Regardless of its "official" release status Windows 11 is still a half baked beta OS and has a number of usability issues unrelated to gaming.

Last edited:

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
Windows 11 has a couple of annoying interface quirks, but aside from that is about the same as Windows 10. There is not any strong reason to go one over the other. If you have a stable Windows 10 rig you can stick with it, if you are building a new rig you might go Windows 11 just to future proof.

Dr. Doom

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'd stick with Windows 10 - may be worth upgrading a year later to Windows 11 when they've ironed out the bugs.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Look there's really only 3 compelling reasons to not use 11:

* Not being able to drag things into the taskbar really annoys you that bad.

* You really care about a temporary loss in your NVME Random Write performance.

* You don't meet all the requirements.

I've had ZERO issues. stop making up crazy stories about bugs

Just because you don't have issues doesn't mean people are making shit up either.

There's a well known issue with NVME Random Writes that is destroying NVME Random Write performance by up to 50% right now.

www.neowin.net

Windows 11 crippling NVMe SSD speeds according to multiple user reports

Windows 11 could be causing some performance problems for NVMe SSDs according to user feedback and reports online. The issues vary from reduced random writes to increased access times, among others.

RedHeat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Performance is pretty much the same until Direct Storage finally comes. Otherwise it just comes down to UI and stability.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018

I wish I had known about this before upgrading. Idk why MS does this with every Windows release. Sooner or later they have to backtrack and implement the features that they took out.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Auto hdr is fucking great, makes a lot of game pop like control, Alan wake remaster and kena etc. You can't get hdr on those games elsewhere unless you play last version

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
If you run dual screens it's annoying as hell that you can't have the time on the second screen task bar.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I upgraded 2 out of 3 of my gaming machines to 11 and noticed no issues. So far, the only thing that has been annoying me is the notification menu and the news widget thing. And the battery/volume control being grouped together.

It's Windows 10 otherwise

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017

* You really care about a temporary loss in your NVME Random Write performance.

* You don't meet all the requirements.

Just because you don't have issues doesn't mean people are making shit up either.

There's a well known issue with NVME Random Writes that is destroying NVME Random Write performance by up to 50% right now.

www.neowin.net

Windows 11 crippling NVMe SSD speeds according to multiple user reports

Windows 11 could be causing some performance problems for NVMe SSDs according to user feedback and reports online. The issues vary from reduced random writes to increased access times, among others.

I think the bug fix is out

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Win+Alt+B to enable or disable HDR made it worth it for me. Though some have told me that's on Windows 10 now too.

Heon

Oct 25, 2017
I use both Windows 11 and 10. There are still quite a bit of quirks / bugs / features missing. I'd wait a year or two.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Right now, it's Auto HDR and I believe the new Intel chips perform slightly better on Win11 compared to Win10. Other than that, might as well wait a few more months for polish to be applied before upgrading. I suppose that's a good thing: zero urgency.

Obviously, if you're making a new build, it'll make more sense to use Win11, to save the hassle (and potential bugs) of upgrading later.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Zero performance advantage unless you want Auto HDR and have a compatible HDR display.

Too much stuff is missing so I'm waiting for another year before I update to it (native small taskbar, never combine taskbar buttons, etc).

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The advantages depend on your system. Recent CPUs and GPUs benefit more on a WIndows 11 without VBS fresh install but not on a significant margin. Personally, I did it for the upgrade to HDR and it was worth it.

Heres Hardware Unboxe's take:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
There's just no compelling reaason to rush to Windows 11 specifically "for gaming" as the proposed catalyst.

If DirectStorage had been day one and exclusive that would've been a different story, but it's still not out and MIcrosoft walked back the W11 exclusivity bit.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been running Windows 11 for a while now. It seems to be just as solid as 10 now, after the initial issues with Ryzen. Auto HDR is cool if you have a HDR display. IMO it's safe to upgrade if your PC supports it.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017

TheJesusFish

Oct 30, 2017
I believe Halo Infinite uses Direct Storage, and that's kind of bananas to watch (if you don't have a next gen console). Load times are sub 5 seconds for the open world.

Beyond that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I reluctantly upgraded to Win 11 because I bought Intel 12th gen CPU a while back. Having full CPU support is nice but losing almost all taskbar customization isn't nice. I'd say stay away from Win 11 for now, unless your hardware needs it for best functionality right now.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I reluctantly upgraded to Win 11 because I bought Intel 12th gen CPU a while back. Having full CPU support is nice but losing almost all taskbar customization isn't nice. I'd say stay from Win 11 for now, unless your hardware needs it for best functionality right now.

StartAllBack to fix all Windows 11 deal-breaking UI issues

StartAllBack restores taskbar, start menu, context menus, explorer, sanity, style and order!

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I upgraded don't notice any difference to be honest. I have heard that VR isn't fully supported (steamvr/oculus) in W11 but my index runs fine even though valve doesn't officially support it.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It sucks that gamepass is be such a crapshoot for a lot of people. Ive never had a problem in this W11 install, but i had my headaches on W10. I just wish gamepass would just be something you signed up on Steam.

Indeed, Game Pass on Steam would be awesome. I miss Auto HDR. I am just using SpecialK now to add HDR to games manually.