Hulk1988

Jul 7, 2021
Hello,

Today, I tried to purchase a disc drive in advance for the upcoming PlayStation 5 Pro, but they are sold out across all of Europe. The only ones I could find are from scalpers, priced between 160 and 200 euros.

This is very concerning! Many players have a library of PlayStation 5 disc editions, and they won't be able to play their games on the new console if they can't purchase a disc drive. Based on the experience from the PS5 release, scalpers will likely buy them all up for weeks or months, leaving the only option to pay double or triple the original price.

Do you think Sony will be able to produce enough disc drives for the PS5 Pro launch? I'm not so sure. I do not think so.

NextGen

Aug 5, 2024
Yeah, without a problem. Most people buy digital games these days and it's not like everyone buying a Pro will get the disc drive.

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine the number in stock was low so they just sold out immediately. Also, scalpers may have hoarded them.

I wouldn't worry about disk drive production rate failing to keep up with demand.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
People are way overthinking why these things are selling out. The disc drive up until a week ago was probably one of their worst selling devices, because realistically if you wanted a disc drive you'd just get the ps5 with the disc drive. So they probably just didn't make many of the things, and them selling out likely doesn't equate to very high numbers.

they'll make more because they know they'll sell more. It just Takes time for supply to get moving

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
With how high the margin is on the disc drives lol?

tenor.gif

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
It's scalpers, lol. The market of people desperate for a Pro is probably going to be smaller / less exploitable than Pro owners desperate for a drive.

bananas

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Will Sony continue to sell their $20 disc drive for 4x markup? We reached out to a Sony rep who was lighting a cigar with a couple $100 bills he set on fire.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
haven't looked for one because i'm still waffling over the Pro, but i expecting remainder of this year to fairly well into the next they'll be fairly hard to come by

May 24, 2019
They definitely won't make as many as the console. I'm sure they're counting on a lot of people just switching to digital.

theCioro

Jun 16, 2023
RO
I dont think 1:1 parity is the target especially since a lot of people have a digital library.
Keep in mind though that detachable disc is sold for PS5Pro and PS5Slim! So not only the Pro console players will go after it.
Also, scalpers..

Will Sony continue to sell their $20 disc drive for 4x markup? We reached out to a Sony rep who was lighting a cigar with a couple $100 bills he set on fire.
I got one from a Sony listed partner for ~140 euros.... There are 2 in my country that sell it and both had the same price.

Aug 17, 2024
I think it's a matter of time for Sony to release a version of the PS5 Pro with the disc drive integrated as well. I don't think it will take more than next year's holidays season.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
These are the same drives that they already put on a console, so yes. Day 1 might be problematic in the same way online games have day 1 issues due to demand. Should even out pretty quickly.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
The question is will they? I admit it's conspiratorially minded, but I do wonder if they'll intentionally choke the supply of drives to try and force push stragglers onto the digital-only aspect of their console economy.

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
The question is will they? I admit it's conspiratorially minded, but I do wonder if they'll intentionally choke the supply of drives to try and force push stragglers onto the digital-only aspect of their console economy.

It's quite the balancing act isn't it? The disc drive probably makes more $ per unit profit than the console, but also they would very much like disc drives to be extinct.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
They could produce less to push people towards digital but that would be getting a bit into conspiracy stuff 😅

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I think it's a matter of time for Sony to release a version of the PS5 Pro with the disc drive integrated as well. I don't think it will take more than next year's holidays season.
I don't think there's any chance of this. They want an all digital future and are moving towards that. The Pro is a step forward on that journey. They won't take a step back.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
People are way overthinking why these things are selling out. The disc drive up until a week ago was probably one of their worst selling devices, because realistically if you wanted a disc drive you'd just get the ps5 with the disc drive. So they probably just didn't make many of the things, and them selling out likely doesn't equate to very high numbers.

they'll make more because they know they'll sell more. It just Takes time for supply to get moving
I don't know. Never underestimate corporate greed. They may intentionally produce less to force people going digital. They should have at least announced there will a ps5 pro bundle with a disc drive so people don't have to get gouged looking for one before the pro is out .

AdamKoy

Oct 28, 2017
Scalpers and people like me who bought one as soon as the rumor was confirmed. Supply should increase soon after release I would hope.

Ikarus

Oct 30, 2017
One less for me. Been digital only for forever. I'm sure I'm not alone. It's a minority of players who would need them.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
They'll definitely be producing a lot more. It might be tough to get one at Pro launch, but they need these for both Pro and Digital so they're going to restock, don't give in to scalpers. I'm not sure if they'll match Pro numbers, but probably as I think Digital is going to sell a lot more anyway.

vio55555

Apr 11, 2024
Hello,

Today, I tried to purchase a disc drive in advance for the upcoming PlayStation 5 Pro, but they are sold out across all of Europe. The only ones I could find are from scalpers, priced between 160 and 200 euros.

This is very concerning! Many players have a library of PlayStation 5 disc editions, and they won't be able to play their games on the new console if they can't purchase a disc drive. Based on the experience from the PS5 release, scalpers will likely buy them all up for weeks or months, leaving the only option to pay double or triple the original price.

Do you think Sony will be able to produce enough disc drives for the PS5 Pro launch? I'm not so sure. I do not think so.
They probably only need disc drives for around 25-30% of the number of PS5 Pros at most.

So the numbers won't be all that daunting. Lifetime could be around say 10 million, and they'd probably only need 2.5-3 million disc drives (if that, the number could be as low as 20-25%) and that won't include people that already have disc drives that plan to get PS5 Pros.

And at launch it's not like the numbers will be too crazy.

Plus this could push more people to go all digital in which case they'd need less again.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Might be tough to get at a traditional retailer during the launch window, but I suspect you'll be able to get them from Playstation Direct.

WandererJ

May 16, 2024
Sony must have some stupid high margin on those, so yes, of course they will.

Don't give it to the scalpers.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I was going to get the drive in advance after the Pro was announced, but I'll wait. Even with a day-one PS5 Pro to replace my OG edition, I would only use the drive to watch 4K movie discs.

All my console games have been digital since the mid-PS3 era lol (and way before that on PC), so I can wait for Sony to restock the drives even if it is after launch.

Kenseiden

Aug 9, 2024
A Pro is useless to me without a disc drive. Digital games are up to 40% more expensive than physical ones in Australia, so without access to my discs the Pro is a giant paperweight.