Pearlina will be real

• Yes!

Votes: 51 19.6%
  • Nintendo is cowardly

Votes: 209 80.4%

• Total voters

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
We still have very little info at all, but with the two of them here, this will almost for sure be the last time it could happen. There is zero reason for it not to be, other than the obvious of Nintendo not wanting to "be political".
Between chat logs, many conversations, interactions, pictures, etc....it's just right there, and would be celebrated by the entire fanbase, and be beautiful for Nintendo to finally have a canon lesbian couple.
latest

latest

latest

latest

latest

View: https://youtu.be/b7gRAs4Sx1A

Note-these are just a few examples. I can't even post everything total.

Last edited:

The Quentulated Mox

Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 10, 2022
Is confirming the relationship status of side characters something splatoon is known for in particular, let alone nintendo in general? Lmao

OP
OP
ClickyCal'

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Is confirming the relationship status of side characters something splatoon is known for in particular, let alone nintendo in general? Lmao
No? Doesn't mean it can't happen now though. Also, I don't think they can just be considered side characters. It's just a thing a lot of people want to happen, for obvious reasons. Other Nintendo series also have many relationships depicted.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Not confirming a gay relationship that is super obvious is something that happens in a lot of japanese media in general.

<----------- like here

Oct 27, 2017
In the words of a comment I read on the Splatoon subreddit about something else in the series
There is no heterosexual explanation for this

Not confirming a gay relationship that is super obvious is something that happens in a lot of japanese media in general.

<----------- like here
They have fucking rings. I refuse to acknowledge any other explanation

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
pearl_side_order_artwork_by_yusaku_ishige_dfzt215-414w-2x.jpg

Fear and Loathing in Inkopolis is probably going to involve too much heavy substance abuse for anyone to think of romance

But Marina will still do her best to protect her precious Pearlie when she isn't using her surveillance state panopticon to spy on everyone inking their splat zone, so it will still be very heavily implied

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Hard to overstate how much of a coward you are if you give your main couple matching rings and then pull that shit. Cant stand behind their artists for one second.
Having finally finished the show last night (which was only half as long as most Gundam shows typically get to be as it is), I probably shouldn't have yet did still expect more.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They'll minimize any interactions between the two of them, make them weirdly snippy and at-odds with each other when they DO interact, then one of them will die and be treated as a complete afterthought while the other will hook up with the worst male character in the franchise and have a time travel destiny child before dying herself.

...I'm not even a Bayonetta fan and I'm still baffled at how badly they fucked that all up.

Feb 24, 2018
Not until the Pokémon Company reveal Skyla and Elesa as an official couple. Or Erika as a Lesbian because how obvious can the games be with that!

Though I guess PKMN games are slightly better in this regard?

Also reveal Princess Daisy as a lesbian Nintendo!

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Nope, they'll just be best friends since that's what they are portrayed to be. I'm cool with that since I prefer that dynamic anyway.

Edalyn

Jan 15, 2023
Washington
I would like to let the gays have what they want, but nintendo is homphobic AF. Since they are clearly portrayed as lesbians though, people be weirdly fine with the queerbaiting.
I'm not cool with that since I prefer to let the gays exist.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't consider that confirmed but it does seem to have entered Ace Attorney levels of winking & nodding. Which is more than I was expecting.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
A funny thing is how Marina has a photo of Pearl as her laptop wallpaper

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It's still not explicitly confirmed, but it's so heavily implied that it may as well be. EPD 5 basically stopped short of spelling it out.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I saw another screenshot that confirms they sleep in the same bed
Clearly it's a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory situation where after giving away all their money to charity they have to share an apartment with Marie, Pearl, Marina, Shiver, Frye, and Big Man all sleeping together in one giant bed

OP
OP
ClickyCal'

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly it's a Charlie and the Chocolate Factory situation where after giving away all their money to charity they have to share an apartment with Marie, Pearl, Marina, Shiver, Frye, and Big Man all sleeping together in one giant bed
Meanwhile Callie in the mansion down the block laughing it up

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
Even if you somehow read the pet names, gushing, promises of "us time", and specific commentary from a third party rolling their eyes about how sickening the two of them are as... platonic??? Then regardless the "hitting on Pearl in front of [me]" line is not ambiguous. Like you're in "Sappho and friends" territory if you are actually trying to make that argument. They don't declare they're in lesbians with each other, but they just act like a couple because... they are

And the fact that Acht goes by they/them pronouns means that you can't just tell yourself that Nintendo wouldn't have queer characters, 'cause... there's one right there to begin with

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta say, I didn't expect Nintendo to have the courage to actually do it and it would just be the usual bait in Japanese games. Pleasantly surprised.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Even if you somehow read the pet names, gushing, promises of "us time", and specific commentary from a third party rolling their eyes about how sickening the two of them are as... platonic??? Then regardless the "hitting on Pearl in front of [me]" line is not ambiguous. Like you're in "Sappho and friends" territory if you are actually trying to make that argument. They don't declare they're in lesbians with each other, but they just act like a couple because... they are

And the fact that Acht goes by they/them pronouns means that you can't just tell yourself that Nintendo wouldn't have queer characters, 'cause... there's one right there to begin with
Honestly, they may not need to spell it out. It's so heavily implied that if Pearl & Marina were a real-life couple, you'd know they were together right away.

Gotta say, I didn't expect Nintendo to have the courage to actually do it and it would just be the usual bait in Japanese games. Pleasantly surprised.
EPD 5 are fairly more progressive than the rest of Nintendo. For context, they added an entire pack of Black hair styles (including 360 waves) to Animal Crossing: New Horizons in a free update.