• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
On a console with games like Super Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild and Xenoblade Chronicles 2, I really don't want Game Freak to release a Pokemon game now and then a year and a half later release a superior version (whether as a third version or "sequel") that renders the first purchase obsolete.

Switch is known for games getting updates and patches to improve performance and also to add new free content. The big games also get big DLC updates that are huge on content. Is there really any excuse for us to get an "Ultra" version of a Pokemon game this time around? I will be hugely disappointed if so. I'm quite confident that there is a possibility we will get Odyssey 2 and BotW 2 in some form this gen (see Galaxy 2 and Majora's Mask), but these will not render the first games obsolete and make them feel inferior.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Are you not fussed buying a Pokemon game yet again knowing that a better version might be available a year and a bit later, on a console where every other game is getting tons of updates and fixes, free additional content and huge DLC packs?

Last edited:

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, we don't even know what the next Pokémon game is going to be other than "On Switch".

But yes, if they choose to do that, they will "get away with it", because the primary audience is children and they just want more Pokémon.

I really wish they would just do content dlc (which would also have the added benefit of keeping mythicals actually secret) but so far, they've been given absolutely no reason to believe that they can't just sell it as another full priced game.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
Probably. It helps that Pokemon games are very linear, and a lot of the changes/additions of the 3rd versions are part of the main campaign.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be ok with free DLC with the third version being a Complete Edition. Let's everyone have their cake and eat it.

What I really wish they stop doing is forcing upgrades for compatibility. That's some old school Capcom shit and even they stopped that

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
Well I bought Moon. I didn't get Ultra Moon/Sun. I would buy a Switch version of UM/S though.

Gen 8 would be better but I will buy the first console Pokemon mainline game no matter what.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'd also like DLC/expansion because switching games everytime can be a hassle, I wonder when they'll finally make the jump.

Seedy87

Jan 4, 2018
This has happened since Pokémon Yellow was the follow-up to Red and Blue. I don't think that it will change, and, to be fair to Game Freak, it doesn't need to. Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon have sold 7.51 million copies, which, while lower than Sun and Moon, show that there is an audience still hungry for an iterative experience.

More than anything, I think we have to be fair to Game Freak in that this is their first 'jump' to high definition development - Tembo the Badass Elephant aside. If iterating on the first Pokémon game for Nintendo Switch buys them the time necessary to deliver a more comprehensive release two years later, I'd always opt for keeping the community engaged.

I don't really see why there's any need to complain about what has been their long-held strategy for the core series. Vote with your wallet. If you don't like it, don't buy it. But, as we've seen since the series inception, they make more than enough sales from an iterative game inbetween releases to justify it.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. It's a relatively small amount of work for nearly a 50% boost in sales. Why wouldn't they?

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Any game will get better if they receive a year and a half extra work, no? As long as the first versions are substantial enough they'l get away with it. I never felt any first versions to be lacking in content, they're all 80+ hours of adventures to me which is a huge amount of time.Whether or not third version worth buying depends on the game, I didn't buy US/UM.

Besides they could get away with selling two versions of a game where there are no technological limitations for them to be two games now.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Considering they just did it? Yes?

There's no guarantee that it'll happen, as we saw with Gen 6. I fail to see the issue here

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
They should release all new contents through a DLC plus a retail version containing everything.

As a consumer I find the "third version" inexcusable. I rather prefer an actual sequel like Black 2/White 2.

Of course, Pokémon is a juggernaut franchise so those enhanced versions still do sell.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's why you wait for the better game then. Pretty much every game does this with their GotY releases or ultimate releases that contuan all the updates and DLC in one for usually a lower price. Why the hate-on for Gamr Freak?

Jack Frost

Oct 25, 2017
They will get away with it and get away with two separate versions and the defense will be "it's just the tradition".

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
User Warned: Antagonizing other members
They will get away with it and get away with two separate versions and the defense will be "it's just the tradition".
No. They do two versions to encourage social play.

It's not their fault if you have no friends and decide you pointlessly should buy both versions

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
This has happened since Pokémon Yellow was the follow-up to Red and Blue. I don't think that it will change, and, to be fair to Game Freak, it doesn't need to. Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon have sold 7.51 million copies, which, while lower than Sun and Moon, show that there is an audience still hungry for an iterative experience.

More than anything, I think we have to be fair to Game Freak in that this is their first 'jump' to high definition development - Tembo the Badass Elephant aside. If iterating on the first Pokémon game for Nintendo Switch buys them the time necessary to deliver a more comprehensive release two years later, I'd always opt for keeping the community engaged.

I don't really see why there's any need to complain about what has been their long-held strategy for the core series. Vote with your wallet. If you don't like it, don't buy it. But, as we've seen since the series inception, they make more than enough sales from an iterative game inbetween releases to justify it.

The problem is, up until the 3DS, Nintendo consoles couldn't really provide updates and patches to games, and even on 3DS it wasn't a very common thing compared to the Switch. For the first time ever we will probably be getting a full new Pokemon gen on a home(hybrid) console where pretty much every other major game provides free updates and patches, and even free content and massive DLC packs that really change up the game. It just wouldn't sit right with me to have BotW and Odyssey on my shelf which are the best versions of themselves with added content. And then Pokemon Gen 8 when there's a superior version out there.

Any game will get better if they receive a year and a half extra work, no? As long as the first versions are substantial enough they'l get away with it. I never felt any first versions to be lacking in content, they're all 80+ hours of adventures to me which is a huge amount of time.Whether or not third version worth buying depends on the game, I didn't buy US/UM.

Besides they could get away with selling two versions of a game where there are no technological limitations for them to be two games now.

I don't see what the rush is to bring this game to the market. US/UM hasn't been out for long. As for the games being substantial enough, if ridiculous things happen like the message speed is faster or the battles are faster or item inventory management is easier in an updated version when these could easily now be patched in, I think personally that would be unfair. Quality of life improvements should be included in my opinion. This will arguably be the biggest and most selling game on the console.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Considering they sell millions with revamped verisons why would they move towards DLC? I don't think there's anything to fix here.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The problem is, up until the 3DS, Nintendo consoles couldn't really provide updates and patches to games, and even on 3DS it wasn't a very common thing compared to the Switch. For the first time ever we will probably be getting a full new Pokemon gen on a home(hybrid) console where pretty much every other major game provides free updates and patches, and even free content and massive DLC packs that really change up the game. It just wouldn't sit right with me to have BotW and Odyssey on my shelf which are the best versions of themselves with added content. And then Pokemon Gen 8 when there's a superior version out there.
The thing you forget is that the enhanced versions aren't just the same game but with fixes and extras at the end, they fundamentally change the narrative in a way that doesn't really work through DLC.

Will there probably be updates to the games when Pokémon hits Switch? Probably (and probably free due to their view of not forcing kids to buy extra content that should be in the game)
Does it affect enhanced editions? Probably not.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering they just did it? Yes?

There's no guarantee that it'll happen, as we saw with Gen 6. I fail to see the issue here
Full price for bullshit upgrades and broken compatibility is the issue. It's what Capcom used to do before they wised up and adapted to the changed market.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

It's not their fault if you have no friends and decide you pointlessly should buy both versions

While I agree with this regarding the version split - and honestly find it kind of hilarious how many people don't seem to get that they don't have to buy both - I don't think the same is true for the third versions.

Although, I haven't kept up with the past few gens. Have they totally moved on to the Black 2 / White 2 thing, which seems to have more value by way of positioning itself as a sequel, or have they fallen back on the Crystal / Emerald / Platinum style?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
While I agree with this regarding the version split - and honestly find it kind of hilarious how many people don't seem to get that they don't have to buy both - I don't think the same is true for the third versions.

Although, I haven't kept up with the past few gens. Have they totally moved on to the Black 2 / White 2 thing, which seems to have more value by way of positioning itself as a sequel, or have they fallen back on the Crystal / Emerald / Platinum style?
A bit of both, but USUM were more towards the latter, but had the most fundamental changes of any enhanced version

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
They will, alot of people are paying and liking it, easy money and little work.

I'm against this but i think im in the minority.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
It just wouldn't sit right with me to have BotW and Odyssey on my shelf which are the best versions of themselves with added content. And then Pokemon Gen 8 when there's a superior version out there.

Think about it this way: why would gamefreak care what sits right with you? If 7m people or so are willing to buy an updated version of the game at full price, they're not going to miss out on that.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
The thing you forget is that the enhanced versions aren't just the same game but with extras at the end, they fundamentally change the narrative in a way that doesn't really work through DLC.

They might change the way how they create these enhanced versions to fit a new, more modern, business models. Or, they might think ways of keeping both a retail presence AND a DLC to previous owners.

For example, new plot elements will unlock if you restart the game---new contents, areas and such can be unlocked straight away.

You always make like some things are impossible because Game Freak "never did that" or "always worked in this way" but you know that a company can adjust business models and development processes to accommodate new needs, right?

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
awaywithit.gif

See you all in 3-4 years when Pokémon Switch (2 versions) sells 16 millions and Pokémon Switch (third version) sells another 8 millions.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I don't care, I usually have my fill of a generation by the completion of the gen's inaugural title.

Just hope they change the formula.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017

Do you have a history with this poster?

I appreciate all the work you do on your site but this response seems a little personal and not really responding to what they posted in this thread.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Gen 8 is going to get a Diamond and Pearl remake.

Gen 9 will probably get an updated version.

Bulbul

Nov 20, 2017
Get ready for the updated version and Monster Hunter World Ultimate/Gold/Dos/X/Unite/Freedom

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
They might change the way how they create these enhanced versions to fit a new, more modern, business models. Or, they might think ways of keeping both a retail presence AND a DLC to previous owners.

For example, new plot elements will unlock if you restart the game---new contents, areas and such can be unlocked straight away.

You always make like some things are impossible because Game Freak "never did that" or "always worked in this way" but you know that a company can adjust business models and development processes to accommodate new needs, right?
Chances are they'd go more the Black 2 & White 2 route if they choose to do it again

I have never bought both versions and have socially interacted on many video games that have one SKU.
Way to miss the point.

By having two versions, there are slight differences in available Pokémon that encourage social trade. It's much easier to do the "Oh, you have Red? I don't have an Oddish yet. I have Bellsprout from Blue. Want to trade?" than there to be one version and have "Oh you chose Charmander and went to Route 22 first? That's great, you can find an Oddish there now. Can you trade it with me? I chose Squirtle and went straight through Route 2".

Nobody is meant to buy both versions. They don't incentivise it.

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah the version split is great as it's what the franchise is all about in my opinion, and there really is no excuse in buying both versions now with online trading being a thing.

Whether they go for the third version or sequel approach, they aren't real sequels. It's not a full new game but it's priced like one. Even on the back of the US/UM box it specifically tells you new Pokemon appear to give you an incentive to buy as its not a full new game. I don't see why this can't be a £20 DLC pack add on, and all the fine tuning and adjustments being provided for free (besides the whole point of because they can get away with it).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing you forget is that the enhanced versions aren't just the same game but with fixes and extras at the end, they fundamentally change the narrative in a way that doesn't really work through DLC.
Adding on a "New Game +" with bonus story elements is completely doable though. Fuck, just look at what happened to Final Fantasy 15. You can't say "doesn't work" when history proves otherwise

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

I appreciate all the work you do on your site but this response seems a little personal and not really responding to what they posted in this thread.
It's my go to response whenever people bitch that they still do two versions because it's frustrating that people act like it's a scam to get people to buy both when it isn't.
Adding on a "New Game +" with bonus story elements is completely doable though. Fuck, just look at what happened to Final Fantasy 15. You can't say "doesn't work" when history proves otherwise
There's a difference between "bonus story elements" and a fundamental change in the narrative structure

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
People who grew up with the earlier Pokemon games are really the only ones who seem disappointed, kids don't know better, so they'll buy Pokemon Sun 3, 4, and 5 if they made them.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game Freak is literally the masters for making the most amount of profit for the least amount of work into their DLC. Now it'll be 60$ for a few dialog changes and a half baked story add on to the same game release a year before and they will sell around 7 million additional units because of move tutors. I hope they Switch over to season pass instead of 3rd copies.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What do you mean "get away with it"? They've been doing third versions for years. We all know they're coming so if it's that deep to you then wait for the third version.

Of course I could also see them going the dlc route and offer a downloadable upgrade. But that would break years of precedent so it's anybody guess right now

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

Joe's post was pretty abrasive, but it's probably the complaint that's familiar rather than the person. This argument come up a lot and you get people bringing up the same ideas, like giving you one cart which allows you to play both versions a la Digimon Anode/Cathode Tamer, which... even if you're compelled to buy both versions, I don't know what that solves unless it allow you to do the multiplayer functions with youself.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the version split is great as it's what the franchise is all about in my opinion, and there really is no excuse in buying both versions now with online trading being a thing.

Whether they go for the third version or sequel approach, they aren't real sequels. It's not a full new game but it's priced like one. Even on the back of the US/UM box it specifically tells you new Pokemon appear to give you an incentive to buy as its not a full new game. I don't see why this can't be a £20 DLC pack add on, and all the fine tuning and adjustments being provided for free (besides the whole point of because they can get away with it).

Third versions are indeed not sequels, they're the equivalent of GOTY or Complete Editions.

Black 2 and White 2 though? That was an actual new sequel which followed up on the story from Black and White. To call it "not a real sequel" just because it takes place in the same region is pretty disingenuous.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it could come a year and a HALF later.

But yes they will do this. Why? Because they did it before and got away with it. Kind of like how we have to pay to play online: someone took the risk, it paid off, and now it's too late to go back.

I hope they at least update the base game to make it compatible with the third version i.e. items and forms.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between "bonus story elements" and a fundamental change in the narrative structure
That doesn't defeat my suggestion though. If the narrative change happens after the initial release, and you have to start the game from the beginning anyway, how is that any different than "New Game +" DLC?

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
It's my go to response whenever people bitch that they still do two versions because it's frustrating that people act like it's a scam to get people to buy both when it isn't.
Okay, I am sure that gets grating. I don't mind the two versions, though I bought Blue on the first day of western release.

I hope Switch continues the tradition, even if most people trade online, it gives them a reason to.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
I just want Pokemon on Switch, happy to accept a port or something to get a game on it now and then they can make their next big adventure as well if that's going to take longer