Deleted member 5148

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I was a 4k early buyer, and I'm pretty much ready for an upgrade, but Im waiting on psv and honestly I'm mostly waiting for Final Fantasy 7 remake in 8k.

I'm willing to wait that long until I get the ps5 and a brand new tv.

But do you think we will have the ideal 8k tvs by then?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
for $15000, sure

and you're not going to get 8K games. stop believing in that

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
I hope not. Devs can barely get their games running good at 4K. You're gonna get diminishing returns at resolutions above 4K anyways unless your TV is massive or you're sitting very close.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
No they will not be. 4k content isn't even that prevalent so no real reason to jump to 8k in the near future.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
We need mainstream adoption of 4K let alone 8k. We barely have content in 4K in gaming or otherwise so it will be a decade of not more before we see the next resolution jump.

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
I really wished that Sony and Microsoft would completely ignore this bullshit. But the marketing department insisted...

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
What's the point? You're not going to see an appreciable difference between 4K and 8K.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
There is like 1 or 2 8K sets available now. The 2020 olypmics are supposedly being broadcast in 8K in Tokyo so we might see some more but affordable 8K won't be a thing for like 5-7 years.

Also, no games will natively be 8K. They'll be upscaled to match the display. There will be very limited native 8K content in general for a long time.

Theonik

Oct 25, 2017
8K TVs are almost ready now. Next couple of years might have some more practical models to consider. (the Sony ZG9 is pretty close as it is if only they supported VRR and full bandwidth HDMI2.1) GPUs though?
Doubt you will be able to play most games at 8K unless you go flagship and only play games 2+ years old for years to come.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
people underestimate how fast 8k will be coming. i can already get a 75" 8K Samsung for under $4500 here.
1.5 year from now, soon after next gen launches, they'll probably be under $2k.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You're not going to be getting 8k games until next-next gen most likely. With the exception of PC obviously.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
Please no fucking 8K for next gen. At this point I'd rather have 4K and better visuals. It is more than enough at 5+ feets of viewing distance, come on! Enough with the resolution fixation lol

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Definitely. They're supposed to start hitting the market next year.
For some reason I understood next gen as the gen after PS5.

Oct 27, 2017
Hahahaha, 8k. We barely get 4k in games at the moment, you think somehow we're going to be pushing 8k stuff in a couple of years? Not a hope. 4k source material on TV/streaming apps is very much reduced compared to the glut of 1080p stuff. It'll be 5-10 years before 8k TVs even start to fall into an affordable range and personally I doubt it will ever become mainstream. The diminishing returns from 4k don't really make it a must have.

Oct 26, 2017
people underestimate how fast 8k will be coming. i can already get a 75" 8K Samsung for under $4500 here.
1.5 year from now, soon after next gen launches, they'll probably be under $2k.

The thing is, It really doesn't matter if we have the TVs. The hardware needed to deliver 8K gaming at AAA level just doesn't exist. And maybe never will, the trade-off just doesn't make sense at all. It's a slightly boost (if any, you need a friggin giant TV to notice the slightly) in clarity and sharpness compared to 4K, it's way better to use that power to enhance the graphics.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
You're not going to be getting 8k games until next-next gen most likely. With the exception of PC obviously.

Not even on PC. Flagship GPUs can only barely manage 4K/60. 8K needs 4 times the performance.

GPU's are, at best only doubling in performance every 3 years, and that rate of progress is slowing while GPUs are getting more expensive.

Best case scenario is that a flagship GPU can do 8K 60fps in 6 years. That's assuming the rate of progress holds and games don't get more graphically demanding.

Realistically, you will never see 8K games.

Oct 25, 2017
México
The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X can barely play games at 1080p/60 fps and they don't even have native graphically intensive 4K games...

A top of the line PC can barely play 4K/60fps games these days.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not even on PC. Flagship GPUs can only barely manage 4K/60. 8K needs 4 times the performance.

GPU's are, at best only doubling in performance every 3 years, and that rate of progress is slowing while GPUs are getting more expensive.

Best case scenario is that a flagship GPU can do 8K 60fps in 6 years. That's assuming the rate of progress holds and games don't get more graphically demanding.

Realistically, you will never see 8K games.

I mean you can run a game at 8k on PC, and obviously I'd think 30fps is most likely the best you're going to get.

Theonik

Oct 25, 2017
Well at least 8K scales up 4K pretty easily?
Like with 4K, you can scale 720p, 1080p, 4K, and with 8K now 480p as well perfectly with nearest neighbour.
The sizes you are looking on these sets being 70"+ kinda makes upscaling no bueno though. Interpolation is getting a lot better now however.

The main driver for 4K and now 8K is that home TVs are getting larger and larger on average YoY. The average US TV is a 55" model now with 65" being really popular as well. At those sizes and at typical distances 4K makes a ton of sense, and if the trend continues and 65" sets take over 8K starts becoming attractive as well, especially as a reach from a 65" 4K set to a 70-85" 8K set.

One big issue TV manufacturers are facing now though is the US market has started massively diverging from the rest of the world, mainly due to space.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I mean you can run a game at 8k on PC, and obviously I'd think 30fps is most likely the best you're going to get.

No single GPU out there can even manage 8K/30 on a modern game. In 3-4 years time that might be more feasible but we're already looking at Ray Tracing at 1080p. The resolution climbing is stopping at 4K. 4K is already higher than it needs to be for full retina for most people's setup.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with games staying at 1080p for another decade or more. For me, even upgrading to 4K isn't worth it. I'd rather stay at 1080p with good performance.