• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I'm sorry that this bothers you so much. Personally I don't know many women that play console video games. So I don't really understand the perspective. All of the women I know spend time playing games on their phones and their tablets. I shop; a lot. I spend a great deal of time talking to other consumers and enthusiasts that are buying video games. They are pretty much all dudes. And when it is women, 7 out of 10 times they are buying for someone else. I had a lovely 15min conversation with a young mother just the other day that wanted to know all the ins and the outs of the Switch so she could buy one for her children.

If you want to boil it down to its most simplest nature, video games are made by guys, for guys. They are the ones driving the vast majority of the revenue on console game sales. There are plenty of guys that like these games. Developers are supplying things that meet this demand. Some developers are also fortunate enough to create their own vision free from outside control. So they can make whatever they want to make. If a good percentage of people are repulsed by a title, then it won't sell well, and future iterations likely won't get financially supported. But they do sell well. Because people like them. The vast majority of people don't have any problems of principle with either MGS V or FF XV.

I, too, am surprised there aren't more women making video games directed towards women. That way you could look past many of the games that were obviously made for other audiences. I'm not sure why there aren't more women making video games. I'll admit that I don't know much about the barriers in the industry that prevent more women from making games. But everywhere I go, everywhere I shop, everywhere I have conversations online, it's mostly dudes. If there were more women buying console video games I'm sure that you'd see more console games for women. It's kind of a catch22.
As a woman who's likely played video games since before you were born, you really don't know what you are talking about. Recent studies have found that women play games at nearly the same rates as men. And no, we are not playing tablet games and candy crush or whatever.

So no, video games are not made just for men. We play just as much if not more. Educate yourself and then think about what we have to deal with to even enjoy a hobby.

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. But I assume this is a temporary thing, and you're supposed to find a job soon or something? Certainly you can't stay in that situations for very long term, like me? Because it's not exactly the same thing, then...
I don't wanna get into it at the risk of derailing but yes and no. The long term has come up though and given that I do most of the housework if certain things don't pan out my gf is fine with me basically being a house husband.

LunarEmerald

Oct 27, 2017
I mean you can find a metric fuckton of studies today talking about sexism not only in modern society as well as various others around the globe but also in societies that existed more than a millenia ago. Like, I don't understand how you and others are trying to deny this. Especially considering the context of this medium and a very sizable portion of the audience's reaction to basic feminism let alone more nuanced discussions about it.

Nobody is denying that sexism exists. It certainly does. What I'm denying is video games playing a great part of it.

psychowave

Oct 25, 2017
When I see a sexaulised male character, i'm like "Damn, that's fucking hawt." Same thing with a female character. Best example would be MGS, yeah the designs are very fan servicey, but I appreciate the sexiness of both genders,
maxresdefault.jpg

4fdc5e289901da45ff5b821af8f658f0--post-metal-character-design-references.jpg

While I get what you're getting at, these things aren't really the same either because it's two guys wearing swimsuits at the beach vs a woman wearing a bikini to battle. Like, men being sexualized in a situation where it makes sense for them to wear little clothing vs a woman being sexualized in a situation where she should be covered up. I haven't played any MGS games tho so correct me if there's some context I'm missing.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
In that case, no, I don't believe in that kind of stuff. I'm taking my own lifestyle as an example. My hubby supports me financially, I've never had a job, and hopefully never will. How would this lifestyle be possible if I was a guy? I'm GLAD that I'm a woman, not the other way around, lol.
Honestly? All the more overt examples from my experience came from workplace so... I suppose that explains that.

Last edited:

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
When I see a sexaulised male character, i'm like "Damn, that's fucking hawt." Same thing with a female character. Best example would be MGS, yeah the designs are very fan servicey, but I appreciate the sexiness of both genders,
maxresdefault.jpg

Would you have liked if Big Boss and Kaz were dressed like that for all of MGSV, though? Do you not think it would just make the game feel kinda silly and it would be hard to take the story seriously with them dressed like that throughout all the serious moments?

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Nobody is denying that sexism exists.

Think again:
The evidence is that a bunch of women have experienced sexism therefore society as a whole is sexist towards women?
I'm actually being dead serious here. I haven't seen any instance of women being at an systematic disadvantage in todays modern society.

What I'm denying is video games playing a great part of it.

Based on? What is your argument? What is your source, other than "because I believe so and I'll ignore actual tangible proof to the contrary without providing any myself".

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
It's not a thing. It's pretty much anyone who is condescending, whether man or woman. But somewhere down the line someone decreed that only guys can be condescending. It is also used as a catch all for someone disagreeing with a woman.
It is most certainly a thing. In fact, gaming has the clearest examples of it.

For example, in league of legends. There exists a stereotype in the game that the champion Sona is mostly played by women. This is because she's viewed as a noob friendly healer and doesn't require critical thinking for a champion.

One day me and my online friends were playing together and came across a women playing Sona in our match. She did a good job and so we added her. Next match she chose to be the jungler and one of my guys was like "you know how to jungle right? You know which routes to take? I can ping it for you."

You're seeing something similar in Overwatch. People assume women only play Mercy cause she's easy to play and then feel the need to put on their tutoring cap when they find a woman who plays something different.

Nephix

Nov 2, 2017
Some really classy gentlemen jumping in here saying "duuuuh I think both female and male sexualization is fine hyukhyukhyuk"; well no shit sherlock, many of us wouldn't think it an issue if the AMOUNT of sexualization was EQUAL among the genders.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Nobody is denying that sexism exists. It certainly does. What I'm denying is video games playing a great part of it.
Great or small does not matter. Everything plays into it. That's how these things work. The pervasiveness of these kinds of attitudes and depictions help to normalize certain perceptions and expectations. That's achieved by being present across our culture and society in our movies, tv, news media, fashion, games and on and on. There is no one smoking gun, it's death by a thousand cuts. Which means you have to deal with it everywhere. Games don't get some pass because they're not as prevalent, though they really are these days, as other forms of media.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm being a bit reductive in summing up my life here but I'm a guy who's currently mainly supported by his girlfriends full-time job so such a lifestyle isn't exactly exclusive to women.

I mean to be fair, this is absolutely one of the few things women have an advantage over men on in terms of societal pressures. You're a lot more likely to be looked down on as a man being supported by a woman than the other way around. This is why I don't like the "privilege" argument much because it sort of ignores individual circumstances. Hell, there have been times I've wished I was born a woman so that it would be easier to obtain the lifestyle I ultimately want. It's all about how much value you place on certain aspects of life I guess.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Have you never seen studies that say x is good for you and another says that it's bad for you. Studies don't really prove anything and are heavily subjective from small sample sizes. That's why I don't pay attention to studies.
Context is key, what gets repeated from various studies regarding health concerns is 'do/don't do x', which is often based on a lengthy conclusion packed with nuance, then filtered through a press office to add drama, filtered through a journalist to add scandal, and then filtered through a sub-editor so it fits on the page. If you can read the data and methodology, and research who funded it and why, and thus place the results in context while reading conclusions, studies are very useful. It's a fair bet that peer-reviewed studies in STEM journals are held to a higher standard than an amateur survey of a few hundred people by a third-sector press office looking for biased results to support further funding. Likewise, only looking at tabloid headlines of 'red wine/chocolate/meat will/won't kill you' without such context is useless. Doesn't mean that disregarding all data is sensible when the studies worth looking at tell you exactly how it was gathered so you can draw your own conclusions.

ShinkuTachi

Oct 29, 2017
As a woman who's likely played video games since before you were born, you really don't know what you are talking about. Recent studies have found that women play games at nearly the same rates as men. And no, we are not playing tablet games and candy crush or whatever.

So no, video games are not made just for men. We play just as much if not more. Educate yourself and then think about what we have to deal with to even enjoy a hobby.

Agreed!
Anyone trying to argue that "women don't play on console or pc" has definitely never played a MMO. Having spent years on both FFXI and FFXIV, I can anecdotally confirm that women roll deep on console and PC. Many of them are guild leaders, and lead pretty prominent social guilds and hardcore raiding guilds in the MMOs I mentioned. So yeah, to object to the idea that women are playing games on console and PC is to ignore reality.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I've never understood this "women don't play games". Sure it's male dominated especially when we only look at AAA gaming, let's fix it. But my personal experiences tell me that they enjoy gaming just as men do. As a kid I had total of 4 girls as neighbours and all of us used to play games all the time, my sister too. They introduced me to Commander Keen and I introduced them to Mario. As a teen I played competitive Counter-Strike. It also had woman only clans and my own had few women too. Similarly with Wow, there's been women in my guild through the lifetime of the game. So all of these different genres at different times, I've always seen women playing games. Even my mother played Nintendo, Side Pocket, Bubble Bobble and ofcourse Tetris were her favorite and we played together too. Nowadays she still plays a lot of Facebook games. I really want gaming to be even more welcoming, to everyone women or men. But some of the attitudes in these last few pages make it damn hard.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I mean there quite literally is a person ITT denying it, and yea, video games are definitely part of the problem. You should really read up on some of the things devs had to deal with due to publishers trying to appeal solely to male gamers.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand everything about feminism and sexism, but I'm right there with OP. I hate seeing female video game characters designed with impractical slutty outfits and that's one of the reasons I really liked Aloy's design, even though some of her alt outfits are definitely still falling under the eye candy shit even if it's low key.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017

Sorry, Fiction. In this thread we've arbitrarily decided that studies don't mean anything, so...

Hope you enjoy candy crush, I guess?

goddamn this thread has gotten stupid over the last 10-15 pages.

NicasDream

Oct 30, 2017
Nobody is saying that sexism has been around for ever They're saying video games aren't doing
anything to change it and glamorize it to the point we're its difficult for women to enjoy games
Without insane amounts of sexism in them something like that I think

Imagine you love shooters except every game that's coming out is an Rpg with one level
in the game that has a shooting segment Idk my brain hurts now but its pretty clear to see
if you look

LunarEmerald

Oct 27, 2017
Context is key, what gets repeated from various studies regarding health concerns is 'do/don't do x', which is often based on a lengthy conclusion packed with nuance, then filtered through a press office to add drama, filtered through a journalist to add scandal, and then filtered through a sub-editor so it fits on the page. If you can read the data and methodology, and research who funded it and why, and thus place the results in context while reading conclusions, studies are very useful. It's a fair bet that peer-reviewed studies in STEM journals are held to a higher standard than an amateur survey of a few hundred people by a third-sector press office looking for biased results to support further funding. Likewise, only looking at tabloid headlines of 'red wine/chocolate/meat will/won't kill you' without such context is useless. Doesn't mean that disregarding all data is sensible when the studies worth looking at tell you exactly how it was gathered so you can draw your own conclusions.

Hmm. You do have a point there. Company reputation is important.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Agreed!
Anyone trying to argue that "women don't play on console or pc" has definitely never played a MMO. Having spent years on both FFXI and FFXIV, I can anecdotally confirm that women roll deep on console and PC. Many of them are guild leaders, and lead pretty prominent social guilds and hardcore raiding guilds in the MMOs I mentioned. So yeah, to object to the idea that women are playing games on console and PC is to ignore reality.

And that's even though a lot of women hide their genders online for a variety of mostly self-evident reasons.

I remember some... individual on GAF saying that he considered women gamer to be a myth because when he went to shops or conventions he never saw any women gamers socializing with him or the other dudes. I was left wondering how he didn't immediately collapse from the combined weight of irony and self-unawareness.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
It might just be my own experience/bubble talking, but in regards to "women don't play games", not only is that utter bollocks, but I find women play a greater variety of games across a broader spectrum of genres than men, who predominantly focus on whatever is big/popular/cool.

I've noticed the same pattern in other media, too, especially reading: I rarely meet men who read and, when I do, they tend to focus on a very narrow field of interest (usually SF).

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I leave for a few hours and somehow this thread has morphed into "sexism doesn't exist and women don't play games."

I guess Blizzcon being nearly half women in attendance was just an illusion my brain was casting.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm. You do have a point there. Company reputation is important.
'Reputation' is something built up by what various people say. How do you know which of the various people to listen to, the ones who vouch for those companies?
And that's even though a lot of women hide their genders online for a variety of mostly self-evident reasons.

I remember some... individual on GAF saying that he considered women gamer to be a myth because when he went to shops or conventions he never saw any women gamers socializing with him or the other dudes. I was left wondering how he didn't immediately collapse from the combined weight of irony and self-unawareness.
There's at least one poster in this very topic saying the same thing.
Can't find women because they already believe such women don't exist, and no evidence is strong enough.

Jade

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
User was banned. The email address and IP proxy used suggest it is a troll.
I mean to be fair, this is absolutely one of the few things women have an advantage over men on in terms of societal pressures. You're a lot more likely to be looked down on as a man being supported by a woman than the other way around. This is why I don't like the "privilege" argument much because it sort of ignores individual circumstances. Hell, there have been times I've wished I was born a woman so that it would be easier to obtain the lifestyle I ultimately want. It's all about how much value you place on certain aspects of life I guess.

Where I come from, if you're a guy, age 25, and you don't have your own apartment, car and a steady job by that age, people are going to treat you as a manchild / loser. I can't even imagine the pressure a lot of guys feel. There is no equivalent to this for women. Nobody had any expectations out of me, not even my parents. I don't own anything and I don't have a job, and yet nobody is disappointed in me. Lucky me I guess lol. Suicide rates being sooo much higher for men make perfect sense when you think about it.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I don't wanna get into it at the risk of derailing but yes and no. The long term has come up though and given that I do most of the housework if certain things don't pan out my gf is fine with me basically being a house husband.

Which is 100%, perfectly fine. I know couples where the woman works and the husband takes care of the kids and households. Don't ever let someone with a social perspective mired in the 19th century make you feel insecure about that.

Where I come from, if you're a guy, age 25, and you don't have your own apartment, car and a steady job by that age, people are going to treat you as a manchild / loser. I can't even imagine the pressure a lot of guys feel. There is no equivalent to this for women. Nobody had any expectations out of me, not even my parents. I don't own anything and I don't have a job, and yet nobody is disappointed in me. Lucky me I guess lol. Suicide rates being sooo much higher for men than for women make perfect sense when you think about it.

You realize all of the above is a consequence of the very same ingrained societal sexism, right? I mean, yes, peer pressure is shitty for men (also for women in many places, though), but having no expectations for women beyond looking good and catching a good husband is not exactly the epitome of women empowerment.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017

Well, if sexism exists in society then it follows that it also exists in the entertainment said society consumes. And since there is no easy solution to this problem, we have to work at making it better step by step. This means we have to combat these views where ever they occur. This includes gaming. I mean how often have i seen the sentiment expressed by dudes, that don't want to play as a female because they see them as the weaker sex. Just because they haven't experienced media that showed them that woman could fill the same roles as men. This is why we need to get to more equality in gaming, to break this feedback loop.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It might just be my own experience/bubble talking, but in regards to "women don't play games", not only is that utter bollocks, but I find women play a greater variety of games across a broader spectrum of genres than men, who predominantly focus on whatever is big/popular/cool.

I've noticed the same pattern in other media, too, especially reading: I rarely meet men who read and, when I do, they tend to focus on a very narrow field of interest (usually SF).
I'll happily stick my hand up to this- I read a lot (or what I consider a lot, at least 20 books a year) but around 75% of that is genre stuff: Sci-fi, fantasy, horror, detective stories. The rest is mainly non-fiction. My wife reads more broadly and mixes all manner of stuff in comparison.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think more men would be opposed to these designs. I know back in the day when I was like 12, I started getting embarrassed by some of them. And then later, I felt insulted.

Men, you should feel pissed that developers dangle some titties in front of you to shake money out of your wallet.

MaskedNdi

Oct 25, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

You are directly comparing men in swimsuits on the beach to a woman in a swimsuit on a battlefield.

The game with the beach scene, Peace Walker, also allows you to see the female lead, Paz, in a bikini on the same beach.

In MGSV, neither of the game's female characters is clothes. You have Quiet in her bikini-and-tights combo and Paz in her underwear.

There is no male objectification, aside from the (amazing) model swaps.

brUPWLH.gif

Honestly, I would be pretty thrilled if female game characters only had to wear swimsuits at the beach or the pool.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, growing up, I had a completely different perspective of nerdom and gaming because in every group, women were the majority. In video games, my love of Fire Emblem, Shining Force, and JRPGs came from my friend who knew Japanese and could import some of their weirder games like SMT. My anime club consistent of like 8 girls and 2 boys (we watched Code Geass a lot...I never said we had good taste), hell, my first D&D campaign had the head cheerleader of the group as the GM. Most of the boys who were into gaming were into specific genres and franchises and liked calling every other one "gay". I learned so much about gaming variety because my closest friends in high school were so eager to try new stuff even if it sucked.

Then college happened and a good number of my friends moved away from nerdom in tears due to the rampant sexism throwing them away. I will never forgive them for that. Ever.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Where I come from, if you're a guy, age 25, and you don't have your own apartment, car and a steady job by that age, people are going to treat you as a manchild / loser. I can't even imagine the pressure a lot of guys feel. There is no equivalent to this for women. Nobody had any expectations out of me, not even my parents. I don't own anything and I don't have a job, and yet nobody is disappointed in me. Lucky me I guess lol. Suicide rates being sooo much higher for men make perfect sense when you think about it.
Of course there is an equivalent for women.
-Get a man (but don't be a 'slut')
-Have babies
-Don't complain when the man dumps her at 45 for a younger model.

Dunno where you live, but if you are a person following the societal expectations for your gender, of course your society will reinforce that you're one of the 'good' ones.

LunarEmerald

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned For: Thread Shitting. Clearly, many people in this community and in this industry find this to be a topic worth discussing.
Nobody is saying that sexism has been around for ever They're saying video games aren't doing
anything to change it and glamorize it to the point we're its difficult for women to enjoy games
Without insane amounts of sexism in them something like that I think

Imagine you love shooters except every game that's coming out is an Rpg with one level
in the game that has a shooting segment Idk my brain hurts now but its pretty clear to see
if you look

With that analogy I would accept that industry has moved away from brought me to it and find something else. I rather use the energy to find something I like than try to change something. Here's another analogy. You're a fan of a gaming magazine. There's one console you like but over time the magazine starts neglecting it; favoring the other consoles over it. Do you send an angry letter and tell them to change it or do you find a new magazine that does cater to your taste?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, I live in California and a good chunk of 25-30 year old guys live with their parents. That also might be because housing and apartment prices are so pathetically expensive that you cannot live on your own here even with a decent salary.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
With that analogy I would accept that industry has moved away from brought me to it and find something else. I rather use the energy to find something I like than try to change something. Here's another analogy. You're a fan of a gaming magazine. There's one console you like but over time the magazine starts neglecting it; favoring the other consoles over it. Do you send an angry letter and tell them to change it or do you find a new magazine that does cater to your taste?
Have you read the mod edit in the OP?

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
You are directly comparing men in swimsuits on the beach to a woman in a swimsuit on a battlefield.

The game with the beach scene, Peace Walker, also allows you to see the female lead, Paz, in a bikini on the same beach.

In MGSV, neither of the game's female characters is clothes. You have Quiet in her bikini-and-tights combo and Paz in her underwear.

There is no male objectification, aside from the (amazing) model swaps.

brUPWLH.gif

Honestly, I would be pretty thrilled if female game characters only had to wear swimsuits at the beach or the pool.
There's also Raiden doing naked cart wheels against enemey soldiers in MGS2 (unless being naked on the battlefield for woman is somehow worse then a guy doing it), and him being tied up and interrogated whilst naked isn't supposed to be for sex appeal?
maxresdefault.jpg

And bull on that. Venom Snake is Phantom Pain is a living sex appeal object. There's a reason why "everyone's gay for Big Boss exists."
Gecco-Venom-Snake-Limited-Version-San-Diego-Comic-Con-2017.jpg

LunarEmerald

Oct 27, 2017
User Ban Extended(to 7 days): Refusal to accept the entire point of moderation.
I do think it's quite ridiculous that mods can say "don't use this argument. we don't like it" Since when do mods get to add rules at their leisure for their convenience?
But I'll drop the point since it's frowned upon.

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
There's also Raiden doing naked cart wheels against enemey soldiers in MGS2 (unless being naked on the battlefield for woman is somehow worse then a guy doing it), and him being tied up and interrogated whilst naked isn't supposed to be for sex appeal?
Raiden's situation is meant to make him feel vulnerable more than anything but I can see the sex appeal angle as well to a certain extent. Not to dismiss that a naked man can't be fanservice, but I believe Kojima wanted it to be more comedic and ridiculous, similar to Johnny in MGS1.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking in general:

The absolutely most annoying thing about the conversation surrounding sexualization and objectification of women in gaming is the appeal to artistic freedom as some sort of sacrosanct principle that you can't argue against.

Being an artist doesn't magically entitle anyone to never be criticized. It's a job like any other, especially in the cesspool of an industry known as gaming where it's very rare to get a true "auteur" experience versus a cooperative effort from hundreds of people that's ultimately being filtered through an abominable corporate lens by the time it reaches your console. Regardless, if you're shit or problematic at your job, people have a right to let you know about it and criticize you. Of course, no artist is obligated to change their work in response to criticism because we generally hold freedom of expression in high regard. However, criticism is included in that "freedom of expression" bit too; people get to say whatever the hell they want about your work even if you've stopped listening. On top of that, the dismissal of criticism doesn't mean the criticism is logically invalid or obligated to stop. That's the eternal push and pull of the basic conversation between the audience and the artist. And trying to elevate the "artist's vision" to the level of religious dogma where critique of any aspect of it, misogynistic or otherwise, becomes equivalent to an attack on the medium does nothing but shut down the conversation. You are literally ruining the discourse and the medium's potential for growth. Stoppit.

No seriously, fucking stoppit.

It's even worse when people get it in them that they're actually "protecting" or "fighting for" the artists with these kinds of arguments. As far as I was aware, working artists in general- not always, but in general- are healthy and functioning adults. We don't need your Internet white-knighting to save us from the encroachment of feminism. Seriously, I'd rather people just admit they want nothing more than to see digital tits and ass (which I don't get with the prevalence of free Internet porn, but if you want to drop $60 on that shit be my guest) and that they don't care about the greater social ramifications of the rampancy of misogyny and gaming, than to try to dogwhistle about the impregnable existence of the artist's vision. Seriously, as an artist, I'm not that special. You upholding me as someone who cannot ever be criticized under the guise that I draw a boob that tickles your jollies is actually really fucking creepy. Get away from me. ಠ_ಠ

Nickle

Self-Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
This is kind of off topic, but do women gamers just not use forums or fansites that much? This is one of the more progressive forums, and even here it's probably at least 70% male. In a lot of places I visit, it's closer to 90% males.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
This is kind of off topic, but do women gamers just not use forums or fansites that much? This is one of the more progressive forums, and even here it's probably at least 70% male. In a lot of places I visit, it's closer to 90% males.

I'm curious as to what the breakdown for Twitch is as well.

Chaparral

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I do think it's quite ridiculous that mods can say "don't use this argument. we don't like it" Since when do mods get to add rules at their leisure for their convenience?
But I'll drop the point since it's frowned upon.

When you have someone such as yourself spouting off shit without at least backing it up other then 'i don't believe in (such and such)' then yes, the mods can say and do what they want. Especially when said arguments are used by many Gamergators and alt-right types to derail and shut down discussion on this very issue.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

We do.

We're just not going to tell you about it because y'all be trippin'.

MaskedNdi

Oct 25, 2017

This ignores the fact that entire genres are dominated by objectifying character designs. How many fighting games can you name without scantily-clad female characters? What about character-action games? How many JRPGs? What's the objectification-free alternative to Yakuza, or Persona, or the Arkham games? Incidentally, I play several games a month, so I'm going to need plenty of options. Sticking with your analogy, if there's one magazine that's neglecting women who game, and no alternative magazines, my options are to ask for better magazines or quit reading magazines entirely.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
In that case, no, I don't believe in that kind of stuff. I'm taking my own lifestyle as an example. My hubby supports me financially, I've never had a job, and hopefully never will. How would this lifestyle be possible if I was a guy? I'm GLAD that I'm a woman, not the other way around, lol.
Well that someone sees it to be okay for a man to provide for a woman but not the other way around is ofcourse sexist.

Edit: Oooh, honestly not surprised.

Last edited:

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
maxresdefault.jpg

I mean, the whole point of Raiden in MGS2 is that he is literally supposed to represent the average player living out their action hero power fantasy...and so the game takes every opportunity it can to humiliate and demean him. That scene isn't played for sexualisation - it's played for humour. And it's laughing at you.

Status
Not open for further replies.