• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Where I live women are not treated much more poorly than men, yes

Rape and lunatic stuff of course happens in any country
And every year more men are murdered than women for whatever reason

When we talk about treatment of women, I talk about how a society is, not some idiot raper or murderer in his own crazy mind

If you want to take the discussion there, go ahead

As a fellow european , you're wrong. Your anecdotal experience doesn't mean much, at the end, women have it harder than men, this is global wise.

I do not fully endorse what the poster you quoted said, but I am pretty sure he did not say what you implied.

Also, it is not about paying women more than men or have men being more often sexually harassed than women but about equalizing them. There is no point of giving women better advantages because then we would have the same problem over again in some hundred years. Just the other way around.

he said women live as good if not better than men. And this is factually wrong.

And I never said men should be paid less than women and harrassed more, just said what is happening NOW. I aim like you in a more equalized (or more equity) in this world.

This is a great post, but you know for a fact that if someone was to do the clown thing you really would get those comments too. People will defend anything.

Anyway, where things get more tricky is when the game is intended to appeal to the same niche of consumers as a DoA game but it's not as obvious from the outside. Or hell, even take DoA - DoA 5's marketing campaign could have fooled you that there would be no fanservice, just a seriously cliched game about hunting down a clone ninja and a fighting tournament set on an oil rig. So if someone buys it and finds that there's a ton of bikini DLC, is that something they should just ignore or is that a problem? Is it a case where they should say 'Shit, I guess this game wasn't for me' or should they say 'This is unfair, I've been suckered into a game full of shit that I feel makes me uncomfortable.' It's those cases where it's not quite clear what the game wants to be where arguments develop, imo.

For the record I fucking love me some DoA and always have, and I'm not adverse to spending a dollar or two on a nice swimsuit for Christie or Helena. But even I thought they were moving in a new direction with DoA5 and was surprised at what the game ended up becoming - I really did buy it for the gameplay at launch (and it delivered in spades).

lol I know that feel, thanks god atleast you can avoid downloading the catalogs. I enjoy Doa5 gameplay and the base game isn't anything close to the likes of Senran Kagura, but the DLC... UGH. A big money saver for me though lol

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Other m was a shit show in terms of way over playing samus sexually, and sexism in general. It's laughable at the closeup shots of zss.

Not to mention Adamn being the epitome of muscular, tall, "badass" white protagonist...who saves samus.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's this even supposed to be proof of? Are the games where these bikini armors show up based on aboriginal settings? Or in regular old medieval fantasy settings where everyone else has full body armor?

Are people allergic to not being intellectually disingenuous?

Please don't quote me if you're not even trying to add anything to the conversation.

This picture shows that there're even real life warriors that just used a loincloth or even just painted themselves.

I'm not saying bikini armor is realistic, practical or even wanted. I'm just saying that there were other examples of even less "armor" used by real warriors in battle.

Don't take another post out of conext just because you jumped to the wrong conclusion why i posted the picture.

post the rest of the aboriginal warriors in games then

Can you stop with this.

I posted this to show real unpractical warriors attire.

With no word have i said that bikini armor is rad or wanted by anyone.

Oynox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Overwatch would be the most obvious for western designs that are sexualized.
Didn't the devs even change some design or pose of a character? Besides that I also have a hard time thinking of games which display sexualized women. Maybe some fighting games?

I also think that representation of women in video games improved much over the past years. Not that women should stop fighting about it, but on the other hand they should not act like there is no improvement.

Cid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a fellow european , you're wrong. Your anecdotal experience doesn't mean much, at the end, women have it harder than men, this is global wise.

A fellow european?
I wasn't referencing Europe
But the Netherlands
1 small country
Europe is made up of more than 50 countries
I wasn't talking about Europe

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Flip your thinking. It's not that women as sex symbols cause societal problems, but rather societal problems cause women as media sex symbols.

We differ in that you don't think there's a problem, whereas I vehemently disagree. Yes, both sexes like sex. I love it, and I won't deny it. But the issue is not sex; it's the perception of women by male designers (predominantely), which is caused by a societal view of women by men (predominately, not exclusively) and it's reflection in media, whether that be movies, comics, or in this case, video games.

The problem has existed for centuries and you're in denial if you won't acknowledge it.

I acknowledge sexual objectification. Where I inject nuance is around how it is perceived/tackled. It won't be eradicated, and in some regards it is healthy. Saying it's existed for generations is almost like saying humans have pleasured themselves and had sex for generations. Being asexual, if anyone is that, is not the biological norm, so we have to accept how a planet with 7 billion humans is largely going to run. A core part of that will always be people seeking ways to enjoy what life they have on the planet, and a big part of that is meeting biological urges/needs. Fantasy helps a lot of people deal with a lack of real-life stimulation, as I said earlier to Lime. It shouldn't be surprising there may be a lot of socially awkward males playing video games, a good portion of which may be virgins (I say this as a factual statement, not as a derogatory statement to anyone who is a virgin). Gaming has always been there as a social crutch for people that find it hard to fit in, in the real world, because gaming is like the ultimate fantasy power play. Unlike TV/movies it's interactive, and unlike books, it's visual (again, a hint here at why males like gaming, visual stimulation).

Our schism of differing opinion appears to come from me taking a psychological approach to this, and understanding and accepting why men go after visual stimulation. Then after accepting that allowing there to be a criticism of an overuse of sexual visual stimulation without implying all of it is sexism/misogyny. I understand the reasoning why it happens and why if it's male creators creating content there is going to be male orientated needs being projected/met.

My solution specifically for the games industry is more diversity in the workplace, but, also a reminder for individual gamers you can buy things that meet your needs as even although this is a male-dominated industry as things stand, there is far more games than anyone can hope to play in their lifetimes right now. One cannot say there isn't thousands of games to choose from, there is.

Last edited:

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
It's mostly a case of suspension of disbelief.

To me, human skin is human skin, no matter the world it stay as fragile anywhere. So if you go to battle against bullets or sharp weapons, you need proper protection. I don't really care for the gameplay, the number of health points and whatnot. I care for a bit of realism, so the protection NEEDS to feel realistic. And obviously, this doesn't go well with the 80% bare skin designs.

I can see how that's a point of contention for you but other people don't feel that way. People can simply accept that donning a piece of gear no matter how impractical will increase a number stat for your defense. Hence why I don't think it helps to label it wrong simply because you are bothered by it.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Sorry if you have said this elsewhere in the thread but what games and characters are you refering to? Thinking back over the big games this year Western games in particular have all had non sexual character designs.

In fact i'm struggling to think of any Western game which has had overly sexualised female characters that has come out in the last few years. Not saying there isn't any just can't think of one.

Most games which come with over sexualised female characters come out of Japan which I can't really see changing any time soon.

Shelob in Shadow of War is pretty bad
Raiders of the Broken Planet's got some questionable designs but a lot of it is derived from Spanish artists aping japanese manga/anime more than anything.
Paladins' girls (are cute) but they've got some blemishes. I think Inara and Ash are among the few non-sexualized designs in that game (Hi-Rez is a shitty developer too so)

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

I'd love for you to tell me where

I am seriously astounded what you read into his posts... it's like some of you put your words in the mouth of others.

Because what he is arguing is not true. He is saying women are not treated worse than men in society and the argument is more men die than women? What are you suppose to take from that?

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem is 100% just weeaboo fanservice now. It's a shame because even the new games have compelling stories and fun gameplay, but the marketing and the aesthetic make you feel pathetic for playing them.

To be fair, Fire Emblem Echoes for the most part for the most part does away with most of the titlation. It does help the artist worked to at least try and make some designs that actually look reasonable yet distinct. Really the only playble character that has any fanservice is Sonya and that isn't much even pre-Awakening in the fanservice department. Fates did go way to far in that direction, I agree, though. I do hope the new game does take more cues from Echoes than Fates but eh, we will see come December/January/whenever that Nintendo Direct comes out. Though it does say something when #FE, the game about idols, somehow feature more sensible designs than a mainline FE title though.

And yeah, I agree with the OP, so much titillation in games is annoying, especially as someone who is asexual so most of it does absolutely nothing for me. It's worse when the game wants me to make the game take a character seriously and her lack of decent design just breaks that for me. Or the cameras obsession with her breasts and ass just undercuts the point.

alexiswrite

Oct 27, 2017
I never had a problem with sexualised characters. I even enjoy some designs to be totally honest. And I think it's not true that this only affects women characters. Take the example of Final Fantasy games. Is Gladiolus really that much better than Cid with his open shirt, presenting his sixpack and muscles? What about Vaan and Tidus? Or how about all the Marvel main lead characters. There isn't a single Marvel movie without a shirtless scene.

Fun thing: I don't know a single women in real life that complains about sexualised characters. I even have a friend who does cosplay of those characters.

In the end it's a personal thing and people who don't enjoy sexualised characters should consume other games/movies. There are alternatives - especially in todays videogame landscape. But videogames are a work of fiction and escapism. And sex sells just as good as explosions, blood and violence. And most people seem to enjoy those things so it won't go away.

The problem isn't sex or sexualisation, the problem is the pervasive nature of it in respect to females. Cid is a problem because she is one of only two prominent female characters in that game and she looks like that, whereas in the same game you pretty much have only one male character who is sexualised in the same way, whilst having infinitely more male characters. The ratios is so skewed. That's what's fucked up.

Saying that people who think that's stupid should not play those games isn't very helpful, mostly because, at least with me, I'm totally down for sex and sexuality being expressed within games. This isn't that. This is about games creating a culture wherein the art created barely includes women if it doesn't get to objectify them first. That sucks man.

David

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neo Yokio
I like boobs so I am not complaining about having them in my games ‍♂️

While I understand where OP comes from, boob-lovers will continue to buy the games they want and the best option here is to have sexualized males so everybody wins.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the devs even change some design or pose of a character? Besides that I also have a hard time thinking of games which display sexualized women. Maybe some fighting games?

I also think that representation of women in video games improved much over the past years. Not that women should stop fighting about it, but on the other hand they should not act like there is no improvement.

That was the Tracer butt pose that you're referring to. Although they changed that pose to one that is literally that of a classic pinup picture

tracer-posekrkt4.png

Cid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because what he is arguing is not true. He is saying women are not treated worse than men in society and the argument is more men die than women? What are you suppose to take from that?

I said clearly, in the Netherlands women are not treated much worse than men
And I also said that I think they might be even treated better than men, no joke

But hey
Believe whatever you want

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
A fellow european?
I wasn't referencing Europe
But the Netherlands
1 small country
Europe is made up of more than 50 countries
I wasn't talking about Europe

I wasn't trying to compare european countries but it's clear you don't want to step outside of your personal bubble and acknowledge the problem, so it's ok. Won't try anymore. When you feel like it, you can google the stats about the true situation of women in the Netherlands (and other countries) other than your known ones.

Lime

Banned for use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You have to sometimes detach sexualisation from individual or group behaviour that is harassment and abuse. The hypocrisy is sometimes people who say they are sex-positive either aren't or it's sex-positive exclusively on their terms. So what they like, what they want and what excites them without even a little bit of care or understanding other people may like different things than them. That's not quite how it works if you truly want to accept both sexes will pursue different, but sometimes overlapping sexual desires/objectification for their needs. Men and women are different, in general, in some psychological and biological ways. Understanding and embracing that needs to happen if we hope to have a chance to discuss things honestly, and not loaded with personal opinion.

If you conflate the two, as always being interlinked, it leads you or others to drop blanket statements too often that actually lose you help because unsurprisingly people do not like being called names/told they are wrong/abusive/problematic like a priest might say self-pleasure is a sin. Someone says they like Quiet, and often there are 100 posts surrounding them implying misogyny/hatred of women/abuse/sexism/etc. Putting aside the fact Kojima has never actually been accused of hating or treating women poorly, as the creator, it's more the gamers who aren't doing anything wrong that respond negatively to you or anyone else not being nuanced enough to somewhat separate sexualisation from blanket accusations of foul play.

Criticising nudity/sexual displays on your TV, or finding they happen too much, is not the same as simply saying it's misogyny and sexism every time it happens. That's what riles some up, zero nuance around the discussion and some just want to go straight to name-calling and serious accusations.

I am not sure what your argument is here and not sure if we have a disagreement. I don't think dumb shitty exploitative objectifying representation of women are necessarily a product of patriarchy or misogyny (sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't), but when they are introduced to a culture that is already rife with misogyny and hatred of women, then regardless of their creation or independence, they contribute to a reinforcement of those very same norms. Which I guess is fine, it's all legal and all to do whatever the fuck these male devs want, but it shouldn't mean that we cannot criticize them for making something terribly boring, trite, and alienating that we've seen a million times before.

Dumb misogynist shit like those latex nuns with guns getting brutally murdered by the Hitman guy or the mute stripper sniper locked up in a cage and being sexually assaulted and beaten up and existing to arouse the assumed straight male player are clear-cut examples of misogyny, *especially* when video games culture have literal organized terror campaigns against women in games. And having this context in mind should alert people to wake up and acknowledge the problems in games and combat misogyny.

As for you implying I do not try and tackle abusive behaviour, the good news for you is how passionately I fight for proper sex education in schools. That is actually a way in which real life respect can prosper though young minds fully understanding sex, consent, respect and so on without parents and teachers standing in the way/being too embarrassed to talk nudity/sex/masturbation/biological desires/etc. Thanks for asking me to help, but I know I'm truly sex-positive (for both sexes) and very clear on where the science stands, and I'm also optimistic about what behavioural changes may occur over the generations if we can focus more effort on education at younger ages.

Great to hear, thank you for your work. I wasn't implying you weren't doing work - just saying that perhaps the effort should be to support those who try to contest the power structures of patriarchy instead of questioning and arguing with them (which those people who always want to question the legimitacy of women's experiences are doing).

I genuinely think many of the worst, most aggressive and abusive teenagers or young men in gaming are either virgins angry at the world for them not getting sex, or individuals with terrible sex education and complete anxiety or inexperience with how to engage socially/flirt/ask a woman out. Some of this, more so if it's a lack of education, can be mitigated and improved on by schooling and public education. At the end of the day, preying, sinister and horrible people are still going to exist, even with education. They just need to be pointed out, and potentially arrested/dealt with by law. The more extreme behaviour (violence/harassment/etc) isn't interlinked with some socially awkward virgin getting titillated by video games characters, though. Or even men who get plenty of sex still seeking out visual stimulation. Men, and women, still masturbate/use sex toys/fantasize even when in healthy, stable relationships

Interesting take, hadn't thought of sex as a factor in these gamer bigots' lives.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I too am a big fan of 2b's design but I recognize how problematic. And disparate The female outfits are vs the male outfits. I do appreciate that for the 3rd route that she dresses appropriately for what I'd essentially a ground invasion.
maxresdefault.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Infinitely thank you Persephone for this thread, and FInale Fireworker for his usual insightful input.
Also to other posters, if you're going to drive-by post arguments that have been made to death, like "sex sells" or "artistic freedom", at least put a bit more thought to it.

It's almost as if women were less numerous in videogame message boards, and also tired to death of saying the same things over and over and being ignored (case in point, you just entirely ignored Persephone with a "lol white knights" argument).

23 years ago, one of the highest-budget and best-selling games made had a female main character for its first half and another female main character for its second half; they looked like this:

200px-Ff6_amano_tina.jpg

Celes.jpg

Contrast and compare with FFXV and tell me again about progress.
Final Fantasy consistently has great female characters with tasteful designs...for the most part. I even like Tifa, though I'll admit her OG FFVII design didn't age well. Her Advent Children design is excellent though.

Cid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yesterday I was working with a collegue, a female captain of a boeing 737, then I called my sister to chat she is a lawyer, then my mom got sick last night so I went with her to a hospital and she got seen by a female doctor
This is real life
I'm telling you people here
This is not only the people I know in my own circle
This is country wide here
Things have changed
Women are now really strong and are getting stronger and more influential by the day

But lets stay with games
Like someone said
It's mainly Japanese games now right?

karkii

Oct 25, 2017
And I also said that I think they might be even treated better than men, no joke

But hey
And we provided you with actual statistical evidence that what you are claiming is not true.

But hey

Also, do you know what anecdotal evidence means?

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
This "it's empowering"/"don't be a prude" argument and the "it sells" argument need to die.

One is not a prude if they think it isn't appropriate in the contexts that it's being used (often in combat situations, and often ones where male characters aren't portrayed similarly).
Also, plenty of other things sell as well. They probably sell better and more often.

We can definitely have sexy characters. We just really need to not make that about turning women into objects. It hurts the game, and it definitely harms people's perceptions of games, let alone perceptions of women.

It's basically why I'm not that interested in Xenoblade. I've never played them, and the new game sounded interesting, but I was turned off by the female character who was not only dressed out of the context everyone else seemed to be in (from what was presented in the trailers), but also kinda just was an object herself (the sword).
I don't much about those games, but that's how the maker chose to portray it, and it turned me off (and the rest of the E3 Direct watch party) from probably purchasing it.

I don't play games to get sexual gratification, and it's unnecessary for it to be there, for me. It also would mean that I would be less likely to play the game in front of others, as I would definitely not want to give the impression that that's what games usually are. I also don't want to signal to women in my life (whom I often am introducing to either gaming in general, or new games) that it's what I like in games and how I see women.

I just want good gameplay.

And before anyone tries to distract from the point by pretending that the perceptions of others don't matter, or that I need not care what others think of my games, I would like to state that it does matter. I love games. I love introducing people to games, and I want them to be able to love them too without some stupid obstacle like "just ignore the sexism in the design, and then it'll be good".

Silvard

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Please don't quote me if you're not even trying to add anything to the conversation.

This picture shows that there're even real life warriors that just used a loincloth or even just painted themselves.

I'm not saying bikini armor is realistic, practical or even wanted. I'm just saying that there were other examples of even less "armor" used by real warriors in battle.

Don't take another post out of conext just because you jumped to the wrong conclusion why i posted the picture.

Can you stop with this.

I posted this to show real unpractical warriors attire.

With no word have i said that bikini armor is rad or wanted by anyone.

That's rich. I'm the one asking what you're contributing by posting just a picture of an aboriginal warrior in the context of bikini armors on females in video games. Now you're acting all defensive when people rightfully called out your indefensible gotcha post, otherwise what exactly are you trying to say with the picture? At least try to articulate an argument that's relevant to the discussion to go with your picture. Are these bikini or loincloth clad women in games where males are also armored this way, like in an aboriginal setting? Or is your point just that in history there were warriors before there was armor, in which case how does that relate to the ubiquity of women in bikini armor in games that have guys in full armor?

Deleted member 11002

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find it hard to bring myself to give a shit what a fake character is wearing in a video game. Especially to the point where I would be legitimately upset.

Vaan in FFXII (first male example that came to my head) has a stupid as hell outfit and is a twink lovers dream, but I just laughed at how dumb it was and moved on with my life because it's a video game and it doesn't really matter.

When I see women in bikini armor I have the same reaction.

And if it helps devs sell to their young male demo, then it's their right to do it, so whatever.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I acknowledge sexual objectification. Where I inject nuance is around how it is perceived/tackled. It won't be eradicated, and in some regards it is healthy. Saying it's existed for generations is almost like saying humans have pleasured themselves and had sex for generations. Being asexual, if anyone is that, is not the biological norm, so we have to accept how a planet with 7 billion humans is largely going to run. A core part of that will always be people seeking ways to enjoy what life they have on the planet, and a big part of that is meeting biological urges/needs. Fantasy helps a lot of people deal with a lack of real-life stimulation, as I said earlier to Lime. It shouldn't be surprising there may be a lot of socially awkward males playing video games, a good portion of which may be virgins (I say this as a factual statement, not as a derogatory statement to anyone who is a virgin). Gaming has always been there as a social crutch for people that find it hard to fit in, in the real world, because gaming is like the ultimate fantasy power play. Unlike TV/movies it's interactive, and unlike books, it's visual (again, a hint here at why males like gaming, visual stimulation).

Our schism of differing opinion appears to come from me taking a psychological approach to this, and understanding and accepting why men go after visual stimulation. Then after accepting that allowing there to be a criticism of an overuse of sexual visual stimulation without implying all of it is sexism/misogyny. I understand the reasoning why it happens and why if it's male creators creating content there is going to be male orientated needs being projected/met.

My solution specifically for the games industry is more diversity in the workplace, but, also a reminder for individual gamers you can buy things that meet your needs as even although this is a male-dominated industry as things stand, there is far more games than anyone can hope to play in their lifetimes right now. One cannot say there isn't thousands of games to choose from, there is.

Who is sexual objectification healthy for? Men? Or the women that it targets?

Your perception is based on a man's perception (I assume), and we differ in that I have experienced this stuff firsthand. It's not healthy, and it's not fun. It's more than a biological issue. Sexualization of female characters should not be the means to an end for one's own personal gratification.

Also, saying that "there are plenty of non-sexual games out there, that's enough" is not the answer. It's not a media issue. It's a societal one.

RookieDood

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Well, TLOU and Uncharted are Western games. In the West, it seems that more dark and cinematic games sell well, games that feel like movies or TV shows. The Japanese market tends to lean towards more unconventional, bizarre, and quirky titles. (Those are obviously huge generalizations, and they aren't meant to insult either market or the people in them. I really enjoy games from both of them frequently.) Also, Mario and Zelda are for kids. Of course they're not gonna be horny.
Yeah, but here's the thing: There are games that sell well, regardless of demography or tone of the game, that don't have sexual objectification of women. But, on the other hand, and correct me if I'm wrong, there isn't a game which focuses solely on the objectification of women that sells as well (or at least sell respectably) as the games I mentioned. They're niche. That's why I don't agree that "sex sells", at least when we're talking about games.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
It's one of the things I kind of hate about being a fighting game fan. Fighting games have pretty much always had some really fan service-y characters but I feel like that aspect of fighting games has gotten really bad as of late. Even when you do find a female character whose default design isn't super fan service-y they almost certainly have an alternate costume that is super fan service-y. I hate it. It's gross and embarrassing.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Fun thing: when women voice their concerns over representations, we're often immediately shut down and shut out of the conversation with the usual bullshit platitudes of 'just ignore it and it will stop bothering you, you're too sensitive, it doesn't affect me so it's not an issue' amongst other handwaving and dismissive responses from men. Those very same predictable, bogus arguments can be found in this thread, unsurprisingly. Saying the same thing over and over to a brick wall that refuses to hear it is just exhausting.
The funny thing about this is men do in fact complain it's not uncommon to have a discussion about a popular manga or anime to have someone complain about Fujo pandering or a company "selling out" to chase after them. (Fujo in this case being short for Fujoshi a Japanese word for woman interested seeing relationships of man with other men). It's also a word that's lots any meaning as it's to describe anything seemed as female fan service.

The more and more this sorta stuff is the more you hear it despite how utterly hypocritical it is. The only reason you don't see it in games industry is female consumers influence of the industry hasn't reached that point.

People with no empathy, no empathy at all.

LightEntite

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's almost as if women were less numerous in videogame message boards, and also tired to death of saying the same things over and over and being ignored (case in point, you just entirely ignored Persephone with a "lol white knights" argument).

23 years ago, one of the highest-budget and best-selling games made had a female main character for its first half and another female main character for its second half; they looked like this:

Contrast and compare with FFXV and tell me again about progress.

I'm not talking about women in videogame message boards, i'm talking about women in real life.

I haven't "ignored" anyone and i'm not really "arguing" anything, i'm just pointing out something i've observed. You don't have to try very hard to find women who are perfectly happy with taking hours upon hours to prepare cosplay of their favorite characters, many of which that happen to be "sexualized male fantasies".

You can make what you will of that, I don't really know what that means in regards to this argument, but it's something that you shouldn't choose to ignore just because you find the essence of it disagreeable.

And I don't really get the point of bringing up Terra or Celes. With the exception of Tifa and X-2 Rikku, there really isn't anything close to approaching the level of Cindy in XV since FFVI released. She's honestly more of an anomaly than the norm, even within her own game.

20161129093607-ffxv-cindy-character.jpg

Cindy, every morning - Yeah, I think just my undies, with maybe a cap, shorts no bigger than my undies and a jacket just barely closed is a good choice.

But... Yeah, let me just wear the same jacket but with belly showing but..what if I get cold? THAT'S IT. GLOVES.

But my legs might get cold too, what if I just wear normal pants or an uniform...?

NO

High tights and white boots, I love wearing white boots in such a clean job as a mechanic.

"Gonna go on a roadtrip with my bros, get into fights with dangerous beasts, trek through the forest, swamp, underground caves, brave the wilderness and the weather"

"Better have my nipples out"

There is honestly no difference between Cindy and Gladio. The reactions that Gladio draws from women make it obvious. I mean you'd be hard pressed to find a preview of the game that involved a female player who didn't fawn over his design at some point.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Persephone nails it as usual.

I would like to add something and that is that there is always someone who designes a character, outfit included. The "character" does not have a choice, it's literally a puppet that the game developer can do whatever he (or she) pleases with. That's a super important distinction.

To exemplify: Quiet didn't choose to wear her dumbass outfit, Quiet didn't choose to flash her ass in front of the camera every two seconds, the people at Kojima Productions made that choice for her and THAT choice is always the one being adressed and rightfully criticized.

Thanks for the excellent OP.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I am seriously astounded what you read into his posts... it's like some of you put your words in the mouth of others.

I just wanna re highlight this so you understand how off base your criticism of my post is.

But hey

This is what your defending. A post with no factual evidence, littered in falacy and head burying. There is literally nothing special about the Netherlands compared to the rest of the West that makes women treated equitably in this society. Nothing.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not sure what you argument is here and not sure if we have a disagreement. I don't think dumb shitty exploitative objectifying representation of women are necessarily a product of patriarchy or misogyny (sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't), but when they are introduced to a culture that is already rife with misogyny and hatred of women, then regardless of their creation or independence contribute to a reinforcement of those very same norms. Which I guess is fine, it's all legal and all, but it shouldn't mean that we cannot criticize them for making something terribly boring, trite, and alienating that we've seen a million times before.

Dumb misogynist shit like those latex nuns with guns getting brutally murdered by the Hitman guy or the mute stripper sniper locked up in a cage and being sexually assaulted and beaten up and existing to arouse the assume male player is troubling, *especially* when video games culture have literal organized terror campaigns against women in games. And having this context in mind should alert people to wake up and acknowledge the problems in games and how to combat misogyny.

Great to hear, thank you for your work. I wasn't implying you weren't doing work - just saying that perhaps the effort should be to support those who try to contest the power structures of patriarchy instead of those people who always want to question the legimitacy of women's experiences.

Interesting take, hadn't thought of sex as a factor in these gamer bigots' lives.

It may come down to us simply differing on you using terms like that in that sentence. Before anyone browbeats me saying "look at you playing the dictionary card", which has happened before, like it or not misogyny has a defined descriptor for me. I do think it's quite counter-productive to try and make people think everything is misogyny. Any depiction of fantasy ridiculousness around clothing/boobs is simply misogyny. Just in the same vein as our societies having an on-going issue with people wanting everything to be called terrorism. Every mass shooting/mass killing is terrorism because of some perceived injustice that the books need balanced because religious terrorism (religion, like politics, is one of the core requirements to have something described as terrorism) may predominantly come from a specific belief system as things stand (different eras in history can have different predominant reasons for X). Well, sexual objectification in games, unlike books, may almost be exclusively coming from males/for males, but that doesn't mean it's all misogyny. People don't say all romance novels are misandry. Or at least anyone with nuance doesn't. That isn't how you garner respect from people and attempt to change minds/influence people/get them onto your side. Being honest and factual does.

As for what I said about education and anger/resentment in men, it's well known. I need not point out what many priests get up to who have celibacy forced on them (unless truly by choice, and you can honestly deal with it, celibacy is very counter-productive to nature/human biology and often seriously damaging psychologically), or what happens in some places in the world where angry young men who are low-status males hit out at women (often violently) and rape/expect sex/have multiple wives/etc.

You know yourself we "lose" many young men to radicalisation. In many of these situations it probably will be resentful, angry, virgins, or men who do not experience much social interaction/success with women. Or even success with male friends/male bonding. As I said to Pirate Bae above, a lot of these men and "boys" turn to gaming because gaming is the ultimate fantasy powerplay. It's visual, it's interactive and it can be enjoyed alone (a lot of men enjoy stimulation alone, even if they are well-adjusted, social and popular men). This may mean gaming has large pockets of abusive men, but this is not gamings fault specifically. It's a consequence of the medium being visually stimulating, interactive and often a crutch for social outcasts.

Education in schools around sex is absolutely fundamental to trying to give knowledge and understanding, but also cut down on the amount of anxious, socially retarded (retarded used as social development here, not mental deficiency) boys who turn into men who completely "fail" at interacting with the real world. They "can't" speak to women, they can't flirt, they can't seem to get sex, they hate themselves, they hate others and it gets really dark. They often close off, hunker down, get resentful, get angry, group together with other angry males and lash out/abuse. Gaming may be an outlet for this, it's not the psychological cause of it. Hence why plenty of gamers can enjoy and appreciate some sexy characters on their TV screens, as fantasy, and they do not abuse women, harass and go around being assholes. I'm not an asshole and even I occasionally like some eye candy, even in gaming. It is what it is, I won't be a hypocrite as I have a great understanding of my brain/body and biology, and also how to separate fantasy from real life.

Your perception is based on a man's perception (I assume), and we differ in that I have experienced this stuff firsthand. It's not healthy, and it's not fun. It's more than a biological issue. Sexualization of female characters should not be the means to an end for one's own personal gratification.

Also, saying that "there are plenty of non-sexual games out there, that's enough" is not the answer. It's not a media issue. It's a societal one.

Do you feel the same way about sexual objectification for women? You can't deny it doesn't exist in romance novels, on TV in some places, or even in some magazines/adverts.

The argument of men get catered for more often than women visually isn't the same as saying sexual objectification is inherently bad, all the time, end of.

I think it's healthy for women as well, that's the difference. I just accept there are biological and psychological differences, on average, between men and women that can end up with sexual objectification manifesting in different ways/different mediums.

Last edited:

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
For many publishers teenage boys are main target and what sells games to them better than boobs. This is sad and I don't think it will end soon. It's all about money
It's ironic that the people say this when the ESA study has shown that the average age for gamers is 35 and women over 18 represent a larger segment of the gaming demographic than guys under 18. Catering to the teenage boy thing is kinda stupid and people need to accept that a lot of guys in their mid-late 20s are still drawn in by pure fan service.

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Other m was a shit show in terms of way over playing samus sexually, and sexism in general. It's laughable at the closeup shots of zss.

Not to mention Adamn being the epitome of muscular, tall, "badass" white protagonist...who saves samus.

Now this, THIS was sexist. On so many different levels.

1. It's not just that the camera is outrageously fixated on her body - it's that it treats her that way despite the fact that she's the main character and the hero of the game. Someone you're supposed to take seriously.
2. She is portrayed as some kind of simpleton with classic female issues like 'motherhood anxiety' relating to the metroid larva and 'daddy issues' relating to Adam. It's a caricature of an actual woman.
3. The relationship with Adam is pure abusive garbage and guts Samus's character and agency.

Still the most blatantly sexist major game I've ever played. Something like Cindy in FFXV, who is a throwaway fanservice character introduced just to be fanservice and only in the game for 5 minutes.... it just doesn't compare.

Ghrellin

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
I want to get out of the way that I am a sex positive feminist, and when I criticise sexualized female character designs, it has nothing to do with prudishness or slut-shaming or anything like that; instead, it comes from a place of frustration, because how the hell are we supposed to combat sexism in gaming when one of the biggest examples of that--that serves to both reinforce and reflect sexist viewpoints--is consistently let slide?

Because yes, if you have a game where all the dudes are covered from head to toe and your one female character is running around in a trash bag bikini and looking thoroughly uncomfortable about it, it's sexist. It reinforces the (already widespread, particularly in gaming "culture") idea that women are objects who exist solely for male titillation and pleasure. It's not "puritanism", it's wanting to be treated like goddamn people.

There's nothing wrong with a female character wearing a bikini if, for example, a game is set on a beach, and the male characters are in their swimming trunks. Complaining about that would be prudishness, and a little ridiculous. But it often seems like developers are so desperate for boobs that they're willing to break the audience's suspension of disbelief and hurt their own narrative in the process, and it's like, wow, do you really want to objectify women that badly? Can't you just leave us alone for five fucking minutes? Because Quiet breathing through her skin is not a compelling reason for a trash bag bikini, within the narrative or outside of it. If you really, really want to stick with the skin-breathing, fuck, just dress her in a sports bra and running shorts. At least that would be practical, and not grossly out of character. Cindy is a mechanic in the fucking desert who walks around in hot pants and a bikini top, because she has grease-repelling skin that never burns, I guess. Meanwhile, Noctis and co. roll up in jeans and t-shirts. It's like, okay, we get it, this game is for dudes and the women are there for eye candy. Can we stop now, please? We're just so fucking tired of this. And then we get steamrolled by dudes who barge in and try to insist that this shit is actually empowering and we're just prudes, and, like, we get it, you don't want anyone to take your boobs away, stop pretending it's some righteous cause, thanks.

(I've talked about objectified female characters in gaming before, and I have received some amazing responses: I'm jealous because I'm a fat ugly loser; I have no idea what I'm talking about and Quiet wearing a trash bag bikini is actually empowering and feminist; "ohmygod why are you trying to take away my BEWBS"... you get the idea. Still, hopefully this time will go a little better.)
I agree! Clothing should be context specific when it comes to both genders.. unfortunately most games are made by males. From a heterosexual male perspective the female body is beautiful, but when that appreciation turns to objectification, I think that realization whether via gaming or movies needs to be checked. Again, personally I love females..their different than me and thats attractive.. doesn't mean I'll design a woman to be damn-near naked during a gun-fight.. or out in the wilderness ( unless its contextually specific that she's lost he clothing through god-knows what), anything otherwise is objectification..Hey and Quiet..she has alternate costumes, why not just initialize her in clothing, and have her naked as an alternate costume? (Again, I'm not condoning, its just if that was to be an option, which totally goes against her lore..FFS puts some clothes on that girl)..and put the appropriate clothing on woman! If came down to an apocalypse, I guarantee that my GF - no matter how attractive she be wouldn't venture out in a bra and underwear.. just saying

Cid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And we provided you with actual statistical evidence that what you are claiming is not true.

But hey

Maybe if you could think bigger then you would understand that there is much more in real life that makes up how women are treated compared to men in a society then a set of topics that are ticked off in a research
Come man, think better
Just like there are some things in the advantage of men
There are other things in the adventage of women
Don't google and stop thinking

I live there my whole life, I know the country, I know the women and men

But enough about the Netherlands

How many games have a Quiet?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
User was warned: do not be condescending and rudely dismissive. If the topic does not interest you, do not post in it.
The problem isn't sex or sexualisation, the problem is the pervasive nature of it in respect to females. Cid is a problem because she is one of only two prominent female characters in that game and she looks like that, whereas in the same game you pretty much have only one male character who is sexualised in the same way, whilst having infinitely more male characters. The ratios is so skewed. That's what's fucked up.

Saying that people who think that's stupid should not play those games isn't very helpful, mostly because, at least with me, I'm totally down for sex and sexuality being expressed within games. This isn't that. This is about games creating a culture wherein the art created barely includes women if it doesn't get to objectify them first. That sucks man.
But there are enough examples where women are not overly sexualised. Why not play these games instead and let other people enjoy their tiddies? It's really not that hard? When I don't enjoy something I don't play it. There are sooooo many games nowadays.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty obnoxious just how much games push this stuff.

I don't understand why it's so hard for game designers to dress women appropriately for the situations they are in, not give them comically large breasts, and not constantly frame their T&A every time they are on screen.

Seriously, show me the market research that says this shit is worth turning off a gigantic swath of customers to your game.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Now this, THIS was sexist. On so many different levels.

1. It's not just that the camera is outrageously fixated on her body - it's that it treats her that way despite the fact that she's the main character and the hero of the game. Someone you're supposed to take seriously.
2. She is portrayed as some kind of simpleton with classic female issues like 'motherhood anxiety' relating to the metroid larva and 'daddy issues' relating to Adam. It's a caricature of an actual woman.
3. The relationship with Adam is pure abusive garbage and guts Samus's character and agency.

Still the most blatantly sexist major game I've ever played. Something like Cindy in FFXV, who is a throwaway fanservice character introduced just to be fanservice and only in the game for 5 minutes.... it just doesn't compare.
Yea, and what you said still doesnt even scratch the surface. Not mentioning how anthony calls Samus by "princess", and other smaller details like that.
This game should be the epitome of sexist garbage, but it's a metroid game and bombed. So a ton of people hear online about how bad it is, but just assume metroid fans are bitching for no reason.

Xypher

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yesterday I was working with a collegue, a female captain of a boeing 737, then I called my sister to chat she is a lawyer, then my mom got sick last night so I went with her to a hospital and she got seen by a female doctor
This is real life
I'm telling you people here
This is not only the people I know in my own circle
This is country wide here
Things have changed
Women are now really strong and are getting stronger and more influential by the day

But lets stay with games
Like someone said
It's mainly Japanese games now right?

Maybe if you could think bigger then you would understand that there is much more in real life that makes up how women are treated compared to men in a society then a set of topics that are ticked off in a research
Come man, think better
Just like there are some things in the advantage of men
There are other things in the adventage of women
Don't google and stop thinking

I live there my whole life, I know the country, I know the women and men

But enough about the Netherlands

How many games have a Quiet?

The following is official data released by the EU, scroll down to page 20 for gender pay gap, look at the graph. Even in the netherlands there is a quite sizable gap. My mother is also in a very high position, yet it doesn't change the fact that even though she had that oportunity, she still earns less money than a man in the same position. Equal oportunities do not equal equality. We are still very far from that.

http://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/document.cfm?doc_id=43416

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Since you mentioned Quiet OP, I'm curious: What do you think of 2B from Nier Automata? If you didn't know, when Yoko Taro was asked about her appearance, he said something along the lines of "I just like girls".

Granted, I still think she looks awesome even if she is kind of dressed that way, however I'm not a woman and want to hear your opinion on her.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I mean, it sells. Especially in Japan, where this trope is insanely prevalent. I also feel like most games' target audience (especially over there) is teen or young adult boys. Sex sells, especially when you're targeting it at a demographic that's going to buy it in a place where it's prevalent.
Which is why we end up with horrible jrpg designs. Cindy from FF XV is the most recent offender. Her whole design is terrible and the only way you can even tell she is a mechanic is by the wrench she is holding in her hand. Don't even get me started on the cutscenes where she cleans your car.

Cid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When is something sexy and when sexist?

Sexist seems negative right?
But how can you portay a women in a sexual way and not get it called by some people sexist?

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
It's one of the things I kind of hate about being a fighting game fan. Fighting games have pretty much always had some really fan service-y characters but I feel like that aspect of fighting games has gotten really bad as of late. Even when you do find a female character whose default design isn't super fan service-y they almost certainly have an alternate costume that is super fan service-y. I hate it. It's gross and embarrassing.
I know, this is me. Some people act as if it was always like that, when I'm old enough to remember fighting game enthusiasts universally looking down on DOA because of its fanservicey focus. Granted, I don't think that's a nice thing to do either (as I believe DOA has its place), but things have absolutely changed. As I mentioned in the other thread regarding SFV - everyone got a boob job, clothes became more revealing, close-ups on breasts and (female) butts are the norm, and in general it feels like a character like Makoto would have to undergo some changes in order to make it SFV.

One thing is fanservice having its place - and I don't mind it. I buy and enjoy DOA games. But just as I wouldn't like all games becoming Mortal Kombat-like violent, I don't want all games going DOA-like fanservicey. I honestly don't think my position is unreasonable.

Clix

Banned

Sexualizing is healthy for both men and women. Hence media, usually film or books, that are geared towards women. Now video games are usually geared towards both sexes, so in that case, if you're going to sexualize... just go all out with all genders. But to say it is not healthy is not true, as many sexual psychologists have been making a point of for decades; for both men and women.

I'm all for sexualization. Men, women. If I could have every NPC in a game that is an adult be in revealing attire, whether man or woman, I would do it. Equal opportunity sexualization.

OP
OP
Persephone

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
Since you mentioned Quiet OP, I'm curious: What do you think of 2B from Nier Automata? If you didn't know, when Yoko Taro was asked about her appearance, he said something along the lines of "I just like girls".

Granted, I still think she looks awesome even if she is kind of dressed that way, however I'm not a woman and want to hear your opinion on her.

Ah, 2B. I'm so conflicted, because the outfit is impractical fanservice and the panty shots are stupid, but that aesthetic is so on point. If the skirt didn't have that stupid slit and she were wearing shorts underneath I'm pretty sure I would be willing to overlook the fanservicey nature solely on the basis of how awesome it looks.

Status
Not open for further replies.