• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Okay. I don't.

I'd see your point if they were the only artists who drew Lyn and Hector for Fire Emblem Heroes but both characters have at least one other artist who have drawn for that game alone. Let alone artists who have redrawn them for art cards or appearances in other games. Calling it modern is inaccurate when there are multiple current interpretations. It makes more sense, to me, to compare how Lyn is drawn in comparison to male characters by the same artist rather than comparing how she is drawn compared to Hector by a completely different artist.
Ok, fair enough. Here's Chrom (also a young royal main character) and Narcian by the same artist. They are both eight heads high rather than six. There's a clear difference in how Lyn is drawn in more childlike proportions compared to the heroic/noble adult proportions of male characters by the same artist.
eXSFtT.png

PiPSPo.png

You can see all art for the game by each artist here. https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Yamada_Kotaro

Last edited:

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
But Hector is, the trend is that the male characters lean from the ideal form (8 heads) to the heroic (8.5+), while many of the female characters lean from child (6) to young adult (7). Why is that?

I mean they for sure want to portray her as younger, but that picture is just bad anatomically? Like if you draw wireframes around her the waist is comically small in proportion to the hip and the chest.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I mean they for sure want to portray her as younger, but that picture is just bad anatomically? Like if you draw wireframes around her the waist is comically small in proportion to the hip and the chest.
Oh, sure, there's all kinds of issues wrong with the anatomy, but why does she need to be evocative of the idea that she's younger and more childlike than her male peers of a similar age? Why can't she have a noble adult bearing just like them?

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
This isn't really the point of the discussion (though as Red says, not an incorrect analysis of the comical proportions). For normal character proportions, characters that are young adults should be proportionally similar (especially when the art of the past characters presents them as such). The asymmetry of the female characters by multiple head lengths is anomalous and gives off an impression of being infantilized.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, sure, there's all kinds of issues wrong with the anatomy, but why does she need to be evocative of the idea that she's younger and more childlike than her male peers of a similar age? Why can't she have a noble adult bearing just like them?

Yeah, I see your point now especially with make art from the same artist. Because if you gave her a normal waist it would be proportionally an adult body, but the artist didn't do the same thing for the male characters.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, fair enough. Here's Chrom (also a young royal main character) and Narcian by the same artist. They are both eight heads high rather than six. There's a clear difference in how Lyn is drawn in more childlike proportions compared to the heroic/noble adult proportions of male characters by the same artist.
You can see all art for the game by each artist here. https://feheroes.gamepedia.com/Yamada_Kotaro
Thank you. I do think that is a bit more fair since FEH doesn't really have a consistent character art style because of all the guest artists doing their own thing. Also just to give the game and artist the benefit of the doubt even if pessimism is usually right.

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
But Hector is, the trend is that the male characters lean from the ideal form (8 heads) to the heroic (8.5+), while many of the female characters lean from child (6) to young adult (7). Why is that?

I'd argue that for anime child proportions are closer to 1 to 5 than 1 to 6. I don't really know the reason why anime may have relatively smaller head to body proportions, and I'm not informed enough about it, so I'd probably look for some information before giving a proper opinion. Generally speaking, however, one of the reasons why the head could be bigger proportionally than in real life (along with the reason why a lot of characters eyes are bigger) is to make it easier to the animators to portray certain emotions despite the medium limitations. Eyes have a really, really big prominence in anime, for example, and a lot of tropes focus on them. The taller the characters are, the less distorsion needs to exist in order to keep the head visible enough so to speak.

Again, this is a first impression, but I think it'd be interesting to see if there are any other reasons why this may happen, and if there is any information. I would especially like to see if there is any overall difference in proportions between people of different ethnics groups too. Isn't Asian people in average a bit shorter than Europeans, for example? Maybe their proportions are a bit different too. I don't know, I'd like to read some information before answering that question.

Lyn's body looks a bit strange because it's like 1 head 1.5 body and everything else is legs, does this have anything to do with what you're talking about?

Well, my argument was actually towards reality, simply because I'm kind of tired with fantasy and "reality but in a fantasy world." I'd genuinely like to see more shows that are about some form of reality. Game of Thrones at one point had this in spades, but as it continues to move forward, becoming more and more focused on the magical aspects of the world, it loses me. It's one of the reasons I enjoyed Lord of the Rings so much. Magic needs more subtlety and apotheosis to actually be... well, magical. It's not really magical if it's mundane (aside from the fact that it's unexplainable).

From a game perspective, if you can throw lightning bolts, it's not all that magical if a dragon breathes lightning. It's one of the more interesting moments in Final Fantasy VI where the characters have a whole scene related to the fact that Terra can use magic. It at least presents magic as something that's exceptional, even though all of your party members are eventually able to do it (there are actually some FFVI hacks that remove the ability of certain characters, such as Gau and Sabin, to use magic - trying to further push that magical ability is exceptional rather than mundane). This is also why the stuff Kefka does in FFVI still has some fantastical aspects to it, because it's magic on such a scale that it perverts reality itself. Chrono Trigger uses this to great effect as well (interestingly, that kind of world-changing stuff never happens in the PSX-era of games and hasn't really happened in Square games since...).

I think what you're getting at with the God of War example is the humanity of characters, and while I find that admirable in any media, in something as played out as God of War is, even in the scenario it fails to hit either with the bombast of the previous games or the more "subdued" (relatively speaking) nature of the main character. I appreciate the reasoning and care put into the characters, but so much of it existing for spectacle often robs it of the gravity intended. There are few moments where I see Kratos as being subdued for the sake of his son, rather than subdued to his son, and that, to me, presents some of the lessons Kratos tried to teach Atreus as disingenuous at best (it also infantilizes Kratos, though that's a different ball of wax).

Game of Thrones kind of started to lose steam once they started deviating more and more for the source material, TBH. It's scalated too much and too fast. I never thought I'd watch a GoT scene that would so clearly remind me of a World of Warcraft CGI cutscene, yet we have the end of the ast season. Don't get me wrong, I like WoW, but the appeal of GoT endgame to me was about seeing the characters from a low-fantasy world cope with the fact that the world was getting more magical as seasons passed, and I feel this hasn't been explored as much as I'd have liked.

I think there should be room for everything, obviously, and I'd love, for example, to engage with a piece of media that took the premise of the Persona series and took the story and its themes to the next level. I enjoy them from what they are, but I think there is much more to do with the core idea that the series builds upon, especially in respect to how the characters react to the existance of this new place they've found. Even Catherine, which is supposed to be about "adults", doesn't really exploit its setting as well as it could. I feel maybe something in line with that example is closer to what you were asking? Without going to 100% grounded, whether its in present times or some past period.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thank you. I do think that is a bit more fair since FEH doesn't really have a consistent character art style because of all the guest artists doing their own thing. Also just to give the game and artist the benefit of the doubt even if pessimism is usually right.
Yeah, fair enough- I have to admit I hadn't even noticed which male characters the artist had drawn so I was then as curious as you were :D
Chrom by the same artist is a fairer comparison than Hector by a different artist.

As someone who plays FEH most days and has played a lot of FE in the past, I'm familiar with trends and the female characters are drawn (by various artists) looking much younger than their original art to a far greater extent than the male ones. Elincia is probably the next biggest offender to me in terms of infantilising the adult female warriors/nobles.
ZkW4DS.png

oQMZzc.png

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'd argue that for anime child proportions are closer to 1 to 5 than 1 to 6. I don't really know the reason why anime may have relatively smaller head to body proportions, and I'm not informed enough about it, so I'd probably look for some information before giving a proper opinion. Generally speaking, however, one of the reasons why the head could be bigger proportionally than in real life (along with the reason why a lot of characters eyes are bigger) is to make it easier to the animators to portray certain emotions despite the medium limitations. Eyes have a really, really big prominence in anime, for example, and a lot of tropes focus on them. The taller the characters are, the less distorsion needs to exist in order to keep the head visible enough so to speak.

Again, this is a first impression, but I think it'd be interesting to see if there are any other reasons why this may happen, and if there is any information. I would especially like to see if there is any overall difference in proportions between people of different ethnics groups too. Isn't Asian people in average a bit shorter than Europeans, for example? Maybe their proportions are a bit different too. I don't know, I'd like to read some information before answering that question.

Lyn's body looks a bit strange because it's like 1 head 1.5 body and everything else is legs, does this have anything to do with what you're talking about?

Game of Thrones kind of started to lose steam once they started deviating more and more for the source material, TBH. It's scalated too much and too fast. I never thought I'd watch a GoT scene that would so clearly remind me of a World of Warcraft CGI cutscene, yet we have the end of the ast season. Don't get me wrong, I like WoW, but the appeal of GoT endgame to me was about seeing the characters from a low-fantasy world cope with the fact that the world was getting more magical as seasons passed, and I feel this hasn't been explored as much as I'd have liked.

I think there should be room for everything, obviously, and I'd love, for example, to engage with a piece of media that took the premise of the Persona series and took the story and its themes to the next level. I enjoy them from what they are, but I think there is much more to do with the core idea that the series builds upon, especially in respect to how the characters react to the existance of this new place they've found. Even Catherine, which is supposed to be about "adults", doesn't really exploit its setting as well as it could. I feel maybe something in line with that example is closer to what you were asking? Without going to 100% grounded, whether its in present times or some past period.
I appreciate the response, and see your point, but I'm not sure why 'big heads allow better expression of emotions' etc, which is a common thing in animation, should apply more to female characters than to male ones. It's not proportions in animation/cartoons across all characters in an art style that's the issue, it's the infantilisation of the female ones vs the male ones that I'm getting at. If Lyn needs a bigger/more childlike head/eyes to better convey emotion, then why don't the rest of the male characters (even by the same artist) also have a bigger, more childlike head and eyes to better convey their heroic steely glares and 'I'm going to mess up your entire army' grins?

Agree with you on GOT by the way, I liked seeing it go from a sort of low fantasy to high fantasy too.

Last edited:

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
Haha, that is absurdly accurate.

I agree that there should be room for everything, but it does feel, of late, that fantasy, Star Wars, and Marvel (or things of similar production) have really pushed out a lot of everything else. Not saying that's bad (Black Panther is amazing), just that... yeah, low fantasy is more appealing for the simple fact that the market isn't as saturated with it right now.

The problem with Catherine is that it has some very distinctly Japanese problems, particularly with regards to its treatment of LGBT characters. The game's really good and the idea is strong, but the execution is such a trainwreck. Many of the Persona games have similar issues, though given Catherine's shorter nature it doesn't have nearly as many issues with pacing as the Persona games. The Persona games have style for days, but everything that's not style related, particularly character designs and plot, still feel like they're from an era that ended two decades ago (and I honestly think Persona 2's writing and character designs are better than Persona 5's, even if they are not as iconic as other entries in the series). SMT Nocturne still feels like the most modern game Atlus has put out, but that's mostly due to the writing and structure, as the gameplay is extremely dated. So... yeah, Atlus needs to line things up better, as well as find a writer that has some chops with modern stories for a modern audience, rather than modern stories for a teenage cis male audience.

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
I appreciate the response, and see your point, but I'm not sure why 'big heads allow better expression of emotions' etc, which is a common thing in animation, should apply more to female characters than to male ones. It's not proportions in animation/cartoons across all characters in an art style that's the issue, it's the infantilisation of the female ones vs the male ones that I'm getting at. If Lyn needs a bigger/more childlike head/eyes to better convey emotion, then why don't the rest of the male characters (even by the same artist) also have a bigger, more childlike head and eyes to better convey their heroic steely glares and 'I'm going to mess up your entire army' grins?

I was bringing a possible reasons (which may or may not be the only one, and of course not the most important), but it's true that overall female character (and young men) tend to have rounder eyes, softer features and a proportionally bigger head.

In this exact case, author bias could perfectly be the biggest reason, and seeing your other examples, it looks more likely as we speak TBH.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I was bringing a possible reasons (which may or may not be the only one, and of course not the most important), but it's true that overall female character (and young men) tend to have rounder eyes, softer features and a proportionally bigger head.

In this exact case, author bias could perfectly be the biggest reason, and seeing your other examples, it looks more likely as we speak TBH.
You say this is just a case, but this happens a lot in anime and video games, intentionally or unintentionally. Being pessimistic I'd feel pretty comfortable saying, after seeing so dang much of it, that it's on purpose, not an accident, and not just a particular artist that is doing this, but a larger trend regarding body representation (as narrow as it already was, observing as it becomes narrower still).

edit: One other thing - just because the fiction is medieval, does not necessarily mean it needs to carry all the historical trappings to meet that aesthetic. Which is to say, when telling a story, you can still easily have a medieval aesthetic without resorting to sexist tropes. It's a story after all, and that means you can choose to not include things that are shitty (and believe me when I say there are no end of shitty things that could exist in such a world - nobody needs to resort to lazy tropes for "believability").

Last edited:

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
And here's me, spending an hour trying to decide what sexist, working class Cornish lads would call a lesbian hundreds of years into the future XD
I feel like there'd be a pasty or clotted cream pun in there somewhere, but that might be low-hanging fruit.

edit: argh, sorry, I didn't realise there'd been two more pages of discussion since Dary's post, I'm just so intrigued by whatever the hell she's writing with futuristic Cornish lesbians.
It's not even just that really. Like quite a bit of my favourites aren't fantastical really.

To quote myself in another thread "Aggretsuko is the kind of anime I've been missing for awhile.

People being sad and uncertain at their shitty lives."

Being totally honest, that's probably my favourite type of fiction.
Aggretsuko is an interesting one because a lot of characters act in very accentuated, cartoonish ways, but it's underpinned with a very relatable melancholy. It works really well for me because it's wacky and over the top but you always end up thinking "oh, too real." So it takes real characters you know in your workplace, and real life stressors, and it makes them cartoonish...rather than just being cartoonish but with nothing real to relate it back to in order to ground and contextualise it.

Last edited:

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Sexist trolling. History of similar behaviour.
So y'all are still complaining about Taki's design, even though Namco made her boobs smaller?

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
So y'all are still complaining about Taki's design, even though Namco made her boobs smaller?

I was paying too much attention to the low poly close-up and how tacky that was. But, WOW, they really made then SMALLER?! Good on Namco they're on their way to making huge strides for positive female characters in fighting games. Smaller boobs, that'll sure make everyone happy.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
But "reflecting reality" doesn't mean "gritty realism" or whatever other attributes you might want to apply to Western games: it means, for example, characters talking/acting like actual people.

A huge part of what makes characters act like actual people is having what some call the inner spark: i.e. acting in ways that make sense for them as people, not in ways that only make sense to advance the plot. There's a lot of writing over this, and I particularly like Eliezer Yudkowsky's:
http://yudkowsky.tumblr.com/writing
Anime / manga characters are the most epic fail of inner spark I've seen in my life. Even characters in braindead dumb movies like Michael Bay's act in ways that are at least vaguely congruent with their situations. Anime characters often behave in ways that we wouldn't expect even brain-damaged real people to. They won't exercise the barest modicum of creative or rational thought and will always, without exception, do what is expected of them to push the plot further (which typically means "fighting everyone").

Someone speaking like an actual person and not talking about something fantastical is what defines boring to me.
[...]
Yeah, I don't want that. If I wanted characters to act like real people, I'd socialize more.

Yikes, man. You are like exhibit A of what I was talking about when I said feeding only on anime and manga is utterly damaging. At least you realize this is horribly unhealthy?

I think you could have fun giving a try to the Abridged version that you can watch in YT for free. It's made by fans: it uses a different voice over, the cut is somewhat different and it completely changes the characters personality in a way that makes it much more enjoyable than the original. Kirito's characterization is completely different and the script in general is written be people that obviously love RPGs and MMOs. In the worst case, I'm sure you'll get a good laugh.

Kirito is much more enjoyable here. He has an ego as big as the Empire State, he's an asshole and a smartass, but it's the script doesn't give him a free pass for being the main character and he's hated by half the cast. He has some obvious issues that this version does bring up more often than not, sometimes in hilarious ways, some others in a more serious light. The dynamic between him and Asuna is much more enjoyable, at least to me, it's much less cheesy than the original series too.

I've watched a little of Dragon Ball Abridged, and while I had a laugh, I think most of the humour comes from familiarity with the source material. I really have no interest at all in SAO, even as a concept (an MMO without spells? *yawn*), so I'm not sure the abridged version will do much for me.

You don't need to make something "grounded" to have it reflect reality, however. No matter the setting of your story, you can make a product that reflects reality as long as your characters act and react in a way that may feel real to you. Compare the old and the new Kratos for God of War. For better or worse, the new Kratos is somewhat relatable and its existence is something that could inspire others. Kratos character arc, anger issues, the fear of passing it to his child, and the hesitation that comes from the fact that he was a distant figure to Atreus for most of his life is something that other people can relate to.

Exactly. Hell, the link I posted about "relatability" is by Tolkien of all people.

The problem is that most people working in those industries, are people that almost exclusively consumed the same type of media they were creating before they became authors, especially in the most mainstream products. One of the first few things that surprised me when I started reading Tokyo Ghoul, is that the author seems to be a relatively cultured person. The beginning of the series is inspired by Kafka's Metamorphosis (which is not a book I like that much, but I'll take it), and quite a few other classic works and authors are referenced. The main character is a bit of a bookworm, and I'm sure you can see the author tastes through the kind of books he reads and recommends to others. It's kind of refreshing, and I think this experience with a wider variety of works comes into play and makes the series (and especially his main character) much more fleshed out and better as a result.

You just sold me on Tokyo Ghoul :). It's on Netflix too so that makes it super convenient for me.

Compare this to your average shonen manga author, who starts trying to publish into Jump when he finishes high school and gets serialized when he is 20-24 years old, only to work on an exhausting schedule during an average of 6 years. I doubt they have time to read books and manuals about creative writting when they have to draw 19 pages every week.

Frankly, my issue is not so much that they're not very book-cultured, but that they're so... otaku, in the Japanese version of the world (asocial recluses). Japanese society doesn't promote deep personal relationships in the best of days, but the scenario you outlined above outright forbids it. Add in a strong selection bias where most manga authors are people who grew on manga and anime (which crawls up its own ass even further with each generation), and they become outright parodies.

"So y'all folks at Scotland Yard are still complaining about Jack the Ripped, even though he only killed two hookers this week?"
"Making boobs smaller" is no reason to stop criticising a design when said boobs are still the size of melons with lovingly rendered nipples. On a lithe Japanese kunoichi, to boot. So yeah, damn right we're still complaining.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
A huge part of what makes characters act like actual people is having what some call the inner spark: i.e. acting in ways that make sense for them as people, not in ways that only make sense to advance the plot. There's a lot of writing over this, and I particularly like Eliezer Yudkowsky's:
Anime / manga characters are the most epic fail of inner spark I've seen in my life. Even characters in braindead dumb movies like Michael Bay's act in ways that are at least vaguely congruent with their situations. Anime characters often behave in ways that we wouldn't expect even brain-damaged real people to. They won't exercise the barest modicum of creative or rational thought and will always, without exception, do what is expected of them to push the plot further (which typically means "fighting everyone").
And ironically enough, video games, western or eastern, tend to follow a very similar line in almost all of their storytelling. The reason for a lot of this is because the storytelling and the gameplay are often kept entirely separate, creating these two bubble worlds where things that make sense in one make no sense in the other. I think it's why the storytelling via game objects in the Dark Souls universe is so compelling. The story is basically a gameplay mechanic that you have to maze your way through via item descriptions and vague or mis-remembered comments from the few people you meet. Or in the case of Demon's Souls, where story elements are microcosms of play, such as Astraea. Papers, Please and VA-11 Hall-A still remain the most cohesive games as narratives on play that I've experienced, whereas most games remain narratives with play (the difference between gameplay as story or gameplay being used to access story). Older games, like D&D, can go either way on these things, and it really depends on the playgroup what they want the game to become. That is, is the game about us? about play? or about the game? Because the former two have a lot to explore, while the latter only has as much as the mechanics allow. In the case of games like D&D or Magic the Gathering, the mechanics allow for quite a lot, but most video games don't have a mechanic with extraordinary potential for complexity, like MtG's stack, nor the dynamism and flexibility of something like D&D.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Frankly, my issue is not so much that they're not very book-cultured, but that they're so... otaku, in the Japanese version of the world (asocial recluses). Japanese society doesn't promote deep personal relationships in the best of days, but the scenario you outlined above outright forbids it. Add in a strong selection bias where most manga authors are people who grew on manga and anime (which crawls up its own ass even further with each generation), and they become outright parodies.

It is often overlooked how many of those authors even make it to a major magazine and even less are getting a regular schedule before their manga are dropped after a few chapters.

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, that is absurdly accurate.

I agree that there should be room for everything, but it does feel, of late, that fantasy, Star Wars, and Marvel (or things of similar production) have really pushed out a lot of everything else. Not saying that's bad (Black Panther is amazing), just that... yeah, low fantasy is more appealing for the simple fact that the market isn't as saturated with it right now.

The problem with Catherine is that it has some very distinctly Japanese problems, particularly with regards to its treatment of LGBT characters. The game's really good and the idea is strong, but the execution is such a trainwreck. Many of the Persona games have similar issues, though given Catherine's shorter nature it doesn't have nearly as many issues with pacing as the Persona games. The Persona games have style for days, but everything that's not style related, particularly character designs and plot, still feel like they're from an era that ended two decades ago (and I honestly think Persona 2's writing and character designs are better than Persona 5's, even if they are not as iconic as other entries in the series). SMT Nocturne still feels like the most modern game Atlus has put out, but that's mostly due to the writing and structure, as the gameplay is extremely dated. So... yeah, Atlus needs to line things up better, as well as find a writer that has some chops with modern stories for a modern audience, rather than modern stories for a teenage cis male audience.

P Studio games are a rare beast, because they can feel quite progressive at times and then do a 180º turn and become really backwards, if that makes any sense. It disconcerts me a bit.

You say this is just a case, but this happens a lot in anime and video games, intentionally or unintentionally. Being pessimistic I'd feel pretty comfortable saying, after seeing so dang much of it, that it's on purpose, not an accident, and not just a particular artist that is doing this, but a larger trend regarding body representation (as narrow as it already was, observing as it becomes narrower still).

edit: One other thing - just because the fiction is medieval, does not necessarily mean it needs to carry all the historical trappings to meet that aesthetic. Which is to say, when telling a story, you can still easily have a medieval aesthetic without resorting to sexist tropes. It's a story after all, and that means you can choose to not include things that are shitty (and believe me when I say there are no end of shitty things that could exist in such a world - nobody needs to resort to lazy tropes for "believability").

I completely agree with that. If it's related to the different concepts of adulthood across the ages that I briefly mentioned before, it's not as much about keeping sexist tropes but about how I'd argue that ages in general work differently in older periods. Even if you go back to the early 20th century, you have a different dynamic than now. My grandparent finished his formal studies when he was 11 or 12. He started learning a profession when he was 12 or 13, and finished his apprenticeship (which meant a bump in his wage among other things) when he was 15 or 16. He married when he was 19 IIRC. Even if you decide that both men and women are equals in the world you're creating, the reality is that your young female blacksmith would have fully joined the working world at an age where people in present day is finishing secondary school. At that point she'd be self-suficient, had been exposed to the "real world" for much longer and she'd have a bigger degree of independence and responsibility over herself than a person that is the same age in the current era.

The way the character is presented and the degree of maturity shown by it is the most important factor IMO. Having a 16 year old mercenary in a medieval period that acts like a present day spoiled 16 years old teenager wouldn't make any sense. You'd expect the characters to act in a way more adult way in that context than in present day. I think some limitations shoud still exist, and I don't think this idea gives a freepass to do whatever you want with the character. I personally wouldn't find it right with characters aged 15 and below.

All of this, broadly speaking. Any attempt to make a moderately believable world vanishes the moment you decide to fill your setting with waifus wearing an armour made of stockings, high heel boots, a skirt, and a cleavage.

Weltall Zero I'd recommend you to read it if possible, mainly because the second season is a mish mash of original (and subpar IMO) content with the fights presented in the manga with little context, and the first season is a bit rushed (eventhough it's much less problematic). The newest season doesn't look that hot either, although it's more like the first one (rushed, but faithful) as opposed to the second season. My biggest problem with the season currently airing is that it's a slideshow and doesn't do justice to the source material. But that's me being a fan :P

You can perfectly start watching the anime up to the end of the first season, which is how I got into the series too. From that point onward I would recommend you to switch if you're interested in how it follows. Keep in mind that most of the rushed materials is the actual dialogue, and not the fights, which may be why a lot of people think Tokyo Ghoul is shonen battle manga edgy cousin as opposed to an actual seinen.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Weltall Zero I'd recommend you to read it if possible, mainly because the second season is a mish mash of original (and subpar IMO) content with the fights presented in the manga with little context, and the first season is a bit rushed (eventhough it's much less problematic). The newest season doesn't look that hot either, although it's more like the first one (rushed, but faithful) as opposed to the second season. My biggest problem with the season currently airing is that it's a slideshow and doesn't do justice to the source material. But that's me being a fan :P

You can perfectly start watching the anime up to the end of the first season, which is how I got into the series too. From that point onward I would recommend you to switch if you're interested in how it follows. Keep in mind that most of the rushed materials is the actual dialogue, and not the fights, which may be why a lot of people think Tokyo Ghoul is shonen battle manga edgy cousin as opposed to an actual seinen.

Sounds like a plan, thanks! To be frank I know nothing about it so I didn't even know it had "battles".

Oct 28, 2017
eds to line things up better, as well as find a writer that has some chops with modern stories for a modern audience, rather than modern stories for a teenage cis male audience.
What's a "modern audience"?
Because you know there's a fresh batch of teenagers every decade or so, and it's probably the target who play more videogames before they start the working hell and drop them in favour of the more quick gachas

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
What's a "modern audience"?
Because you know there's a fresh batch of teenagers every decade or so, and it's probably the target who play more videogames before they start the working hell and drop them in favour of the more quick gachas
An audience that isn't just one niche. Considering the ever increasing deluge of game products (and that Japan's population is shrinking), it's untenable to continually farm one market regardless.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Actually I think fiction reflecting reality would be extremely appealing because at the moment, it would probably be about as novel as genre fiction could get. There are a nigh infinite number of power fantasies out there, what exactly is useful about continuing to add to that pile? Especially in anime/manga/video games.
Appealing, perhaps, but not popular: everyone wants power fantasies these days, hence their ubiquity. Hopefully the cycle will turn around sooner rather than later (or else I'm fucked).

Yeah, I don't want that. If I wanted characters to act like real people, I'd socialize more.
Not gonna lie, I can't get my head around this at all. This is one of the major reasons we have to deal with shitty female character designs: people with no interest in reality demanding further and further exaggerations from it.

I feel like there'd be a pasty or clotted cream pun in there somewhere, but that might be low-hanging fruit.

edit: argh, sorry, I didn't realise there'd been two more pages of discussion since Dary's post, I'm just so intrigued by whatever the hell she's writing with futuristic Cornish lesbians.
I drafted a reply to Xaszatm regarding this, but I always struggle to explain these things out of context...
I settled for the term "bolge/bolgia bandit". Bolgia is Italian for ditch/dike, but can also mean a purse - and it's from the Latin term 'bulga'. Both have been used as terms for female genitalia and the womb. It also references the Divine Comedy, which I do a lot (this Future Cornwall is located in an area of the world colloquially referred to as 'the Eighth Circle' or 'Malebolge', hence why the locals would know/use the term bolgia). Meanwhile, the "bandit" comes from that terribly juvenile schoolyard jeer "arse bandit". Effectively, the full term translates to "a woman who steals away other women (from men)".

Also, they're not Cornish, they're just on holiday at a Brave New World-esque utopia built over the Bodmin moors, trying to infiltrate a smuggling ring via a gambling tournament. And by gambling I mean "an over-the-top fantasy card game".

...yeah, it makes more sense in context...

Anime excels at melodrama for the sake of melodrama. Who cares about established characterisation: we need these two characters to fight! And then become friends. And then fight all over again! And if it doesn't make sense for them to fight, we'll just insert some convoluted plot development about how the rival's magic eyes can only get stronger if he kills his best friend!

RalchAC

Oct 27, 2017
Anime excels at melodrama for the sake of melodrama. Who cares about established characterisation: we need these two characters to fight! And then become friends. And then fight all over again! And if it doesn't make sense for them to fight, we'll just insert some convoluted plot development about how the rival's magic eyes can only get stronger if he kills his best friend!

Basically this.

Oct 28, 2017
An audience that isn't just one niche. Considering the ever increasing deluge of game products (and that Japan's population is shrinking), it's untenable to continually farm one market regardless.
but persona 5 is the game the broke the "niche" in a big way (persona 4 already did that, kind of), i mean it's sitting at 2 millions

Minotaur

Oct 25, 2017
Took me a while to wrap my head around what everyone was saying about lyn. Then i remembered the "moe" anime thing were girls all look like children trying to be cute. Then the criticism on many of the FEH female art made so much sense to me. It does seem like some of the art is leading in that direction.

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
I don't disagree that a lot of anime has poorly written characters, but I feel the conversation has gotten a little ephemeral. I think it would help if people used examples. It's one thing to say "anime characters don't behave like real people and have no internal consistency or motivation", but I can think of plenty of example where that isn't true. I watch plenty of anime and keep up with new seasons, which typically means I watch one or two shows because I think a lot of it is boring or crap. So I have a feeling I agree with most posters in here, but it would help my understanding to have some concrete examples.

I have a real fondness for melodrama, which can be found in media from all countries and from different time periods (gotta love the Victorians). Melodrama doesn't mean characters are written inconsistently, though. They can still follow the rules for their world. Heightened reality can be an interesting tool in storytelling, and it's one I enjoy a lot. What I do not enjoy is characters who do things only for plot convenience or seem to have no internal life. Flat, cardboard characters.

Ah, so they fixed some of it. Good to hear. Haven't played the recent demo.

Assuming it's still 2D with bits of 3D I'd tend to think it's weird. Something like FFT is about as far as I'm willing to go before those inconsistencies start to push me (and even in the PSX era where that kind of stuff was super common... it seemed strange). Even with games like Wild Arms, which I'm a huge fan of, I still think the visuals in combat clash a lot with the rest of the game.

Chalk it up to personal preference. I'm not a fan of Primrose mostly because of how she's such an outlier with the design of the other characters and the game (color palette, etc.), but I assume that's what her story is about?

And I reply a few pages later...

I just really like the 2D pixel art on a 3D plane. If it weirds you out, though, fair enough!

She doesn't look like an outlier in-game at all. Colors in general are muted, and she's not a bright red spot on the screen or anything. I don't know if she's an outlier in the group, but I found her and her story compelling and different from the typical JRPG mold. Hopefully they can keep it up in the rest of the game. The other demo character was much more typical, but still more grounded and on the "serious" side compared to lots of other games in the genre (and he's older, which is nice) so I had no objections to him. We'll see how the full game is, but I'm optimistic.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Man every time this topic comes up, of anime being Bad, it's super frustrating for me.

Anime has plenty of examples of good characterization.

Basically what kaytee said, I guess!!

Moreover, just because most of anime is bad doesn't mean the medium in general is bad. Most of everything is bad! There are definitely trends specific to anime (and other Japanese media associated with anime) that are unequivocally worse than what can be found in, yeah, western media. But the opposite is also true. Don't miss the trees for the forest!

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, man. You are like exhibit A of what I was talking about when I said feeding only on anime and manga is utterly damaging. At least you realize this is horribly unhealthy?

It's the other way around. I gravitated toward anime and manga precisely because I found most reflections of reality boring. I discovered these mediums well into adulthood, so it's not like this stuff raised me.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

The fact that her body (both by 'fans' and critics) is talked about more than her personal story I think says a lot about what the design does.

Same thing happened with FF7's Tifa for so long. She's a great character, but i swear half the time it's just people bringing up giant tits and mini-skirt in a conversation.

EDIT:

Do any of the FE men have even vaguely revealing injured pics or is it just the girls that are so lucky??

Even if not terribly revealing they got a bad case of posing extra girly when they're injured lol

EDIT (again)

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/05/0...-skin/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

While it seemed like another regular update for SINoALICE, Yoko Taro shared on Twitter "I was told that mobile gacha games don't sell unless it shows plenty of skin, so I decided to give Dorothy this equipment."
Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2018/05/0...cha-games-need-show-skin/#XhDOlLwtxh0oihM0.99

Original design:
Dorothy.SINoALICE.600.2265847.jpg

20180502_042712.jpg

"NSFW" design. x)

I like Yoko Taro's off-brand sense of humour. And yeah that new design is badass

Last edited:

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
EDIT:

Do any of the FE men have even vaguely revealing injured pics or is it just the girls that are so lucky??
The other thing that really gets me about these is that when the male characters are injured they have that "struggling but determined" expression, but the female characters look embarrassed/humiliated like they just noticed someone peeping at them.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
The other thing that really gets me about these is that when the male characters are injured they have that "struggling but determined" expression, but the female characters look embarrassed/humiliated like they just noticed someone peeping at them.
I think this is intentional, as most fujos would rather see them be determine than show weakness in battle. Most characters in gacha games targeted to them are like this, take Touken Ranbu (Sword Boys).
latest
latest
latest
latest
7e576c55943536a1a079c227d5c701c6--slums-character-ideas.jpg

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is often overlooked how many of those authors even make it to a major magazine and even less are getting a regular schedule before their manga are dropped after a few chapters.

That applies more on Shounen Jump than other magazines where if it's cancelled, it's later in comparison . And even then, in there if your manga do bad in sales of volumes or on the magazine itself with readers, you get an ending of like 2 or 3 volumes at minimum. But the biggest magazine was always the most difficult to serialize, at the same time that it's also the one where you'll get more sales and publicity if you're successful.

And well, the authors could pick their cancelled works and go to other magazines (and publisher) since they're the owners of their manga but the majority don't do that and instead tries a new manga because the work already failed one time so they don't try it again.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
That applies more on Shounen Jump than other magazines where if it's cancelled, it's later in comparison . And even then, in there if your manga do bad in sales of volumes or on the magazine itself with readers, you get an ending of like 2 or 3 volumes at minimum. But the biggest magazine was always the most difficult to serialize, at the same time that it's also the one where you'll get more sales and publicity if you're successful.

And well, the authors could pick their cancelled works and go to other magazines (and publisher) since they're the owners of their manga but the majority don't do that and instead tries a new manga because the work already failed one time so they don't try it again.

It is more difficult for unknown authors to find something new if their work gets rejected. But if manga authors were also taking reference from Western comics at least, their work would be so much better.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
It is more difficult for unknown authors to find something new if their work gets rejected. But if manga authors were also taking reference from Western comics at least, their work would be so much better.
Horikoshi took alot of inspiration from Western comics though it didn't really make him perfect on progressive issues either.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Western comics are almost unknown in Japan for the majority of people (and also not published in the same frequency and time of manga with late translations) so I don't think that they even think about do that. Horikoshi is the only one that I ever saw taking inspiration from american comics with My Hero Academia.

Deleted member 1041

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that her body (both by 'fans' and critics) is talked about more than her personal story I think says a lot about what the design does.

Same thing happened with FF7's Tifa for so long. She's a great character, but i swear half the time it's just people bringing up giant tits and mini-skirt in a conversation.

EDIT:

Even if not terribly revealing they got a bad case of posing extra girly when they're injured lol

EDIT (again)

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/05/0...-skin/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Original design:
Dorothy.SINoALICE.600.2265847.jpg

20180502_042712.jpg

"NSFW" design. x)

I like Yoko Taro's off-brand sense of humour. And yeah that new design is badass

yoko taro is a national treasure

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA
But if manga authors were also taking reference from Western comics at least, their work would be so much better.

Western comics as in superhero comics? When I was younger I tried getting into Western comics after years of reading manga and was so disappointed because everything seemed so much more stilted and awkward to me. I also didn't feel like anything was actually being made for me, which kind of sucked. I only found more interesting stuff when I was older and took a comics class that introduced me to some indies.

That said, I was reading some really good manga at the time.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Horikoshi took alot of inspiration from Western comics though it didn't really make him perfect on progressive issues either.

Considering his young age, it is sad. Superhero comics is another matter,I was more referring to other genres with mature themes found in Western comics from Europe and America mainly. Eg the comic Blue is the Warmest Color, which was adapted to the popular movie

Western comics as in superhero comics? When I was younger I tried getting into Western comics after years of reading manga and was so disappointed because everything seemed so much more stilted and awkward to me. I also didn't feel like anything was actually being made for me, which kind of sucked. I only found more interesting stuff when I was older and took a comics class that introduced me to some indies.

That said, I was reading some really good manga at the time.

No, other genres that have nothing to be jealous of manga. It is difficult to adjust, but on the other hand it is far easier than being expert in Western comics and delving into manga.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
I think even anime fans want more grounded or human characters. I see a lot of people praise characters that are more foward about their romantic interests in romance anime for example.

Course that could also just be because some fans want a change of pace.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
but persona 5 is the game the broke the "niche" in a big way (persona 4 already did that, kind of), i mean it's sitting at 2 millions
Except... not really. https://personacentral.com/persona-5-best-selling-release-atlus-history-japan/

It is their best-selling game, but not by as much as people seem to think. By a similar account, you could argue that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 broke out of its niche, but I'd say both seem like they're approaching their upper limit.

And I reply a few pages later...

I just really like the 2D pixel art on a 3D plane. If it weirds you out, though, fair enough!

She doesn't look like an outlier in-game at all. Colors in general are muted, and she's not a bright red spot on the screen or anything. I don't know if she's an outlier in the group, but I found her and her story compelling and different from the typical JRPG mold. Hopefully they can keep it up in the rest of the game. The other demo character was much more typical, but still more grounded and on the "serious" side compared to lots of other games in the genre (and he's older, which is nice) so I had no objections to him. We'll see how the full game is, but I'm optimistic.
I'll have to take a second look and dive a little deeper.
I don't disagree that a lot of anime has poorly written characters, but I feel the conversation has gotten a little ephemeral. I think it would help if people used examples. It's one thing to say "anime characters don't behave like real people and have no internal consistency or motivation", but I can think of plenty of example where that isn't true. I watch plenty of anime and keep up with new seasons, which typically means I watch one or two shows because I think a lot of it is boring or crap. So I have a feeling I agree with most posters in here, but it would help my understanding to have some concrete examples.

I have a real fondness for melodrama, which can be found in media from all countries and from different time periods (gotta love the Victorians). Melodrama doesn't mean characters are written inconsistently, though. They can still follow the rules for their world. Heightened reality can be an interesting tool in storytelling, and it's one I enjoy a lot. What I do not enjoy is characters who do things only for plot convenience or seem to have no internal life. Flat, cardboard characters.
I still think shounen manga almost epitomize characters with no motivation (or one motivation). Aside from saving Sasuke, what are Naruto's motivations? I really, even after reading a ton of that manga as a kid, have pretty much no picture of who he is as a person except that he really wants to save Sasuke (like he was picked on as a kid because of the Nine-Tails thing, but that doesn't seem to affect him nearly so much as it's used as a plot point to show that he understands Sasuke). And that's really weird, because even the other characters within the manga often have more varied reasons and lives. Naruto's singular obsession is the central thrust of the manga pretty much right up until it ends. And this is the case for pretty much all shounen protagonists. Black Clover and One Piece - become most powerful wizard, become Pirate King. It's this one note, repeated over and over and it is an acceptable justification for just about any behavior or scenario. And it's also why, even as a kid, I didn't get very far in most of these. I basically gave up or started skipping massive portions (either because huge chunks were explained in single paragraphs by online databases, or they were marked as filler). The idea that One Piece is actually about running through corridors is probably the most accurate description I can think of for a lot of action battle manga. Effectively, a huge portion of most of these is dedicated to chasing the plot (i.e., the battle of the week, or month, or however long this arc is going to go on for), and the result is typically a lot of characters running around with little of consequence happening, in some cases occurring for months of episodes at a time or many, many manga chapters.

And a lot of this started in the anime community with Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. The big transition from multi-episode power-up scenes to running through corridors, or hallways, or open fields... or, in general, running instead of powering-up, makes a lot of the dramatic stakes get lost because while Dragon Ball at least presents a looming threat that is looming larger, it's vague as to whether the plot that's being chased in other shounen manga is of consequence at all. Unsurprisingly, it's not infrequently the case where a battle or confrontation is of no consequence, either because it's negated by some other event happening at the same time, or because it's retconned.

One shounen manga that doesn't fall into this trap is Jojo, but it's also an extremely atypical shounen manga. Interestingly enough, I'd say this is because the structure is built with definite starts and stops, whereas these same points of conclusion in other shounen manga (the transition from Naruto being a kid to a young adult, or the transition of One Piece into the Grand Line and the New World), do not have these nearly so well-defined. They do occur occasionally, but with Jojo these points divergence of are much more structured, much more regular.

The result is manga and anime that go on for too long, as was the precedent set by Dragon Ball, with a big payoff at the end for sitting through a much longer arc that's also largely unnecessary. Something that can largely be explained in a paragraph via a fansite is probably not telling a story that has characters who have... well, much character. This is probably also a result of there just being so damn many characters in these shows as well, but I think that's probably best saved for another discussion (though it is quite ridiculous to have 5 or more characters introduced in a single manga chapter and expect the reader to care about them - especially when even the most dense reader knows they don't really matter and exist for the sake of the plot).

edit: It's kind of ironic, but thinking about it, I think the first time we actually see Naruto as a character is in Boruto, and there we essentially see him as a father who abandons his child for his work.

Last edited:

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
It is their best-selling game, but not by as much as people seem to think. By a similar account, you could argue that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 broke out of its niche, but I'd say both seem like they're approaching their upper limit.
Yeah, I'm really not sure where the "it broke out of its niche" thing came from with either of those games. It's not exactly the same as FF7 selling 10m, up from about 3m for FF6. And the market was smaller then, too...

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Considering his young age, it is sad. Superhero comics is another matter,I was more referring to other genres with mature themes found in Western comics from Europe and America mainly. Eg the comic Blue is the Warmest Color, which was adapted to the popular movie

No, other genres that have nothing to be jealous of manga. It is difficult to adjust, but on the other hand it is far easier than being expert in Western comics and delving into manga.

Yeah... what you're talking about is even more unknown. If it was super hero comics it would be realistic since some comes with a bad frequency but those are completely unknown in Japan and aren't even published.

Status
Not open for further replies.