Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
51OgmwZptyL._SY445_.jpg

Yes, Kim, Sagat, and Maki (why her too) are there, but Kyosuke is definitely the character that draws the attention the most.
Of all of the characters that could've been used, why him?

Don't get me wrong, I love Rival Schools, and his inclusion is cool, but I'm definitely not Kyosuke's biggest fan.
Of the hero team, he's definitely my least favorite, so of his inclusion vs Batsu or Hinata or Akira (I know Roberto would never be used) is kinda eh, I'm just glad that anyone was there at all.

But why is he the character to be noted, above every other they could've pushed the game with, why him?

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure there's much to it besides Shinkiro's depiction of Kyosuke looking really cool and suave.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
'Cause he's rad

And he was a brand new sprite and they wanted to advertise that I guess

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
they specifically went with Kyosuke because he was both very popular in japan and he wasn't a shoto

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like a lot of the Capcom cover art from that era just grabbed a few characters at random. MvC2 uses Guile and Psylocke, for instance.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
it's like wrestling, where they push a certain character in hopes they become popular/legendary.

Not sure if it worked, in this case.
He was kinda okay in CvS2, iirc

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
I've always assumed that Capcom USA is run as a skeleton crew that lacks the resources to put any thought into this stuff or is one dude amusing himself with the marketing decisions.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Another case of "US cover becomes shitty for no reason".

Original cover:
17_listImg.jpg
This one is hardly better in terms of actual iconic characters people will know.
It's like the focus group came back knowing no one, so they Photoshopped Chun Li into the middle despite not blending in like the others.

Saikyo

Oct 25, 2017
It's simple why Kyosuke and Maki are in the cover: they are new characters that weren't in CvS, its kind of a tradition in updates having the "newcomers" be the face of the marketing like Aba and Order Sol when Accent Core was released or C.Viper and Abel for SFIV.

Now you tell me why they used sfa3 ryu and wild ambition terry artwork for CvS1 American ps1 cover lol.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I have a general recognition of most of the main cast from SF2 and whatnot
Sagat. The original boss of Street Fighter 1. The second to last boss of Street Fighter II. Huge bald muay thai guy with an eyepatch and a scar across his chest.

Nah this is on you.

Somehow.

Everybody here should be able to recognise the cast of SFII. They're that iconic for a reason.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
I don't play fighting games, but after googling I see he's from Street Fighter. I feel like I have a general recognition of most of the main cast from SF2 and whatnot (Ryu, Ken, Chu-Li, Cammy, Guile, Bison etc) but I honestly don't recognise this guy at all, I guess it's the boring design?

…I'm glad I'm not the only one

I'm guessing you didn't get passed Vega in SF2? He was a pretty common progress wall back then.

Even so, he is was pretty much in every SF game as Ryu's antagonist rival. stop quoting this shit.

Last edited:

Finaika

Dec 11, 2017
I don't play fighting games, but after googling I see he's from Street Fighter. I feel like I have a general recognition of most of the main cast from SF2 and whatnot (Ryu, Ken, Chu-Li, Cammy, Guile, Bison etc) but I honestly don't recognise this guy at all, I guess it's the boring design?
I always confuse him with Dhalsim when I was a kid.

Because they're both bald.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Good chance you have thought about it more than they did. It was probably something as simple as they thought that picture looked cool and would be a striking image for a cover because he is pointing. It was Capcom USA in the early 2000's, not exactly the height of their relevance.

Marz

Oct 30, 2017

What on earth

grand

Oct 25, 2017
In all fairness to that one poster, a lot of people only engaged with the SFII multiplayer so it's plausible that they could miss out on Sagat if they never touched any of the later SFII versions or SFIV

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
You guys are sure giving that guy a lot of grief for not knowing who Li Joe is, not sure how he got on the cover though.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, looking back these were the previous covers:

61E0XVHBZTL._AC_.jpg
5399307814_dea5bbf594_c.jpg

So guess they just wanted to try something else from the classic mainstream characters :D (and all these covers are pretty poor)

This art was made tho,
0d8dc243a6790c8df5185d77434a21e8.jpg

Every single SNK character in this picture is cooler than all of the Capcom cast combined, and I am including Raiden in that assessment.

Ryunosuke Naruhodo

Alt-Account
Banned
May 8, 2021
Extremely despondent that Akira Kazama is in Street Fighter V instead of being a base roster character in a game that absolutely needs to happen, Capcom Fighting All-Stars.
SFV is great and has been successful, the only shame is that she got in so late into the game's life. But Capcom Fighting All Stars absolutely needs to happen, and Batsu Ichimonji needs to be there.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing you didn't get passed Vega in SF2? He was a pretty common progress wall back then.

Even so, he is was pretty much in every SF game as Ryu's antagonist rival. stop quoting this shit.
I never played Street Fighter 2, I never had any interest. The only SF game I've played was IV and I didn't like it very much.

I mostly cared about the MvC games but I also played TvC.