Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Found this article from a few months back and thought it was pretty funny.

www.vice.com

Male Living Space, Reddit Spaces: Why Men's Homes Are Decorated the Same Way

Without women, straight cis men are happy sitting in rooms that contain solely a Lazy Boy armchair, a 60” TV and an Xbox.
The Male Living Space subreddit is setup for men to either seek advice on their home setups and how to decorate it, or to show off their one armchair, two canvases of New York skyline and three cheese plants setup.

Scrolling through the subreddit will show you room after room that either attempts to emulate the grey and navy makeovers of Bobby Berk for Queer Eye – the kind that is specifically designed not to offend anyone but make men feel better about bringing back women (girlfriends, mothers or both) to their homes with no danger of impeding on their masculinity – or a style that makes no attempt to be stylish at all.

Cas*, the man behind @redditspaces, believes that the subreddit has spawned its own kind of style that men are attempting to emulate before posting. "There are definitely very specific trends that crop up in terms of posts on this subreddit that most people probably aren't aware of," Cas explains, adding that he curates the content on the Twitter account heavily to show the more entertaining faces of the community, people who can't decorate to save their life.

"While its easy to laugh at places that are just an air mattress and a pizza box, the worst offenders will always be people who have too much money and not a lick of creativity or basic housekeeping. I'm talking about people who rent four-bedroom homes exclusively for themselves and decide to exclusively use folding tables for any and all surfaces."

What do you think of the article? Does your place look like this?

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Nothing will top this, don't even try

dkush40_d.webp

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
No. I have a Live, Laugh, Love poster in every room.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
i'm married so i have no input whatsoever on how our house is decorated. i can and do maintain it exactly as i am told to do so.

honestly, it's better this way than when i was single and had nerdy posters everywhere. i feel more grown up.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
As a 30 something male living alone...

Sort of accurate? I have 2 recliners and a big TV, but I have a PS4 Pro!

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I'm failing to see a problem with some of these, some of them look pretty nice. But it's the internet so we need to mock young men for not being the epitome of originality and taste.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Yes BUY BUY BUY fill up your home with tons of useless shit that you have to carry around when you eventually move.

I'm not sure why we have to shame people for living minimalistic.

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I was thirty my house looked like a shrine to geekdom.

Somehow I still got married and she did some re-decorating.

Apparently Transformers etc in a glass case arent for living rooms.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Thing is I just... don't care? Like I don't want more "stuff" The older I get the less stuff I want to own. I get that some people get big into home decor but I could not care less. I don't know why this is such a big deal or so hard for some people to comprehend.

Oct 25, 2017
When I wasn't married, there was no reason for me to decorate. Hell there still isn't, I let the wife do all of it.

Alternatively, why would I spend money on decorating? That could be going to more beer and video games.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
eh personally i like keeping things simple. it makes cleaning and moving stuff so much easier than having a bunch of flowers, decorations, and pictures of family everywhere. i look at my parents house and see all the stuff my mom puts up and get overhwelmed with all the stuff everywhere

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
Felt a lot of whiplash going from that article to the actual subreddit which mostly comprises of really nice apartments and decorating,

Yeah, I looked at the subreddit and really didn't find anything like the article was describing.

Even if that was the case, what is the big deal? Why is a living space devoid of inanimate nic-naks and cheap Target store art an issue?

May 24, 2019
I'll always remember the guy from the old site who decorated his home with swords and ornately framed photos of busty ladies.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I remember visiting some subreddits like that and noticing things were a little samey (like hgtv too but that is a slightly different aesthetic). Any little bit of individuality or colours/textures that clashed or out of the norm were kinda pointed out. /r/malefashion advice after a couple of years ended up like that too.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Why we trying to shame people for being happy lol

I think those places look dope!

I'm 31 🤣

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
They're mostly missing texture (rugs, throws), art, plants, and so on. Those add that cozy feeling.

But nothing too bad honestly.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm content with my basic recliner, TV, Nintendo switch setup but my mom came by and insisted on decorating so now i have a few more fake plants and canvases

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
That's kinda how mine looks lol. I don't care about decorating and other useless crap when all I do is stare at my monitor 15 hours a day. If it's useless, I don't have it.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
"Hey, you should be ashamed for how you've decorated!"

What a shitty fucking article and awful fucking person. Gross.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Easier to clean, easier to maintain. A nice sofa, a great chair, a big TV and a great bed. Don't give a fuck about rugs, plants or whatever.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
I mean, damned if you do, damned if you don't, I guess? Try to have a homey, tasteful space? Take advice from others who have been down this road before?

Fuck you, here's a hit piece on your apartment being cookie-cutter.

EagleBen

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In college I lived in a furnished apartment. When I left town I was able to pack my entire belongings into my Camry.

mikeamizzle

Oct 25, 2017
I was waiting for the article punchline but it never hit. Yeah, single straight guys don't give a shit about interior design. No shit? Lol

this is normal for the majority of people early on life and/oe single. It is what it is.

edit: to answer your question I think it's clickbait