• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Of course.

It was never going to come out this year. There's literally no way they're going to push out a console quality game in what would be the shortest gap ever between generations.

Ya'll feelings are going to be hurt when this game comes out.

Why is it that with Nintendo they always have to release the games right away. Yet we're still waiting for Shemue 3 and FFVII R

They teased Smash not Pokemon. While rumours abound about Pokemon Switch and we know it will come sooner or later, that wasn't the game teased in the last direct.
It will be shown at E3 as a teaser or trailer.

That will be enough.

Boy stop. Square gets reamed ever other week for not having FF7 ready.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
Nintendo does not need Pokémon to hit their sales target.

A rushed Pokémon would do more harm than good.

Game Freak struggles with the 3DS, let them have their sweet time with Switch fgs.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
What do you mean by "console quality"?

If you are talking about graphics, you'll probably be disappointed.

lmao ive followed Pokemon since Gen 1. I know what to expect from Gamefreak. I didn't mean Dragon Quest XI jump in quality. I just mean any sort of significant jump from 3ds to an HD console game. I don't see it happening in that short of a time

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
User Banned (2 Weeks): History of drive-by posts trying to ignite a console war.
Good thing there's tons of cardboard left in stores after Labo's release.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Game Freak struggles with the 3DS, let them have their sweet time with Switch fgs.
It wouldn't harm in anything and could probably save their poor performance with women and kids demographics (+maybe their japanese numbers stop being ridiculous).

Oct 31, 2017
Well, SSB won't be enough so it means another big game will be released this year if true... And I can only see Retro Studios on it.

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
More at USGamer

Not sure how much stock I put into "precedence" when Pokemon Switch's very existence violates precedence, but eh. It will happen this year. I guarantee it. If it doesn't, I will eat cardboard.
You're taking a risk I think :)

I wouldn't be surprised if they keep their heavy hitter (as well as a new MK) for 2019.
In 2018 they're going to have Smash & probably Bayo 3 for the Holidays imo, and something like Animal Crossing I imagine.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
It wouldn't harm in anything and could probably save their poor performance with women and kids demographics (+maybe their japanese numbers stop being ridiculous).
Of course it would, people are getting tired of Pokémon games, especially hardcore fans, Game Freak have a bad streak since XY, the whole 3DS generation was a huge mess, they cannot afford another XY. If not for Pokémon Go who knows how forgotten the Pokémon franchise would be right now.

And Animal Crossing reels in more women than Pokémon. Kids about the same most likely.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's a fair point, yeah, but again Game Freak already did HD development of all of the Pokemon models like over 5 years ago.
2011, and by Creatures. Game Freak does environment and character models (as well as outsourcing partners). With the division of roles, Pokemon Switch is gonna more test GF's ability to realize worlds that would be expected of the Switch hardware and a full game pricing

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course it would, people are getting tired of Pokémon games, especially hardcore fans, Game Freakes has a bad streak since XY, the whole 3DS generation was a huge mess, they cannot afford another XY. If not for Pokémon Go who knows how forgotten the Pokémon would be right now.

And Animal Crossing reels in more women than Pokémon. Kids about the same most likely.
Nobody is getting tired of Pokémon as it is besides this forum. SM sold more than XY launch aligned and USUM broke Emerald and Platinum numbers just recently. Can't even say it's just GO when XY and ORAS sold well - I say that as someone who only finds XY ok and ORAS the worst game in the franchise.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
I've been saying Spring 2019 in every thread regarding this topic. Every Pokemon Generation has been at least three years, and it doesn't make sense for a new generation on Switch to require even less development time than earlier games.

If it's Fall 2019, then that would actually be later than I expect it. Whether it's Spring 2019 or Fall 2019, the priority is for Game Freak to get it right.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
Every Pokémon thread is the same thing.

I hope y'all are ready to pay $60 for whatever Game Freak has to offer.

IJrglbZ.gif

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Interesting opinion and a reasonable stance. Ultimately, I believe it will be proven incorrect; but Kat supports her opinion well.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
I've been saying Spring 2019 in every thread regarding this topic. Every Pokemon Generation has been at least three years, and it doesn't make sense for a new generation on Switch to require even less development time than earlier games.

If it's Fall 2019, then that would actually be later than I expect it. Whether it's Spring 2019 or Fall 2019, the priority is for Game Freak to get it right.
While true, this upcoming game could very well not be a gen 8 game.

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
Nobody is getting tired of Pokémon as it is besides this forum. SM sold more than XY launch aligned and USUM broke Emerald and Platinum numbers just recently. Can't even say it's just GO when XY and ORAS sold well - I say that as someone who only finds XY ok and ORAS the worst game in the franchise.
A game selling well doesn't mean it's been well received. You can tell Pokémon games are burning faster now. They don't last long on charts because word of mouth is bad. It's only selling well because of the explosive start (hype and brand, both recently on the rise thanks to Go).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USGamer gonna join EuroGamer on the Pokemon L Train. Groudons Represent!

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I'm going with 2019. Nintendo will hit their Switch sales targets -- or likely punch above them -- very easily with Smash Bros. and Fire Emblem this holiday, plus whatever unannounced first-party and third-party content gets revealed at E3 and beyond. Development-wise, Game Freak is traditionally slow; business-wise, Nintendo doesn't need it this year.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Guys, don't assume Pokémon Switch will be a new generation.

Also don't expect it to be a big leap / revolution for the franchise.

Oct 27, 2017
That's a fair point, yeah, but again Game Freak already did HD development of all of the Pokemon models like over 5 years ago.
That was Creature, although I guess Gamefreak made the textures and animations for their games. However, when it comes to 3D modeling from Gamefreak, the examples are everything, but the pokemon, which...well, let's hope they've had a lot of practice

Byakura

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
ya I've never really been super confident in a 2018 date for Pokemon. It would be great sure, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Pokemon's gonna be a no show at E3 and people are gonna be pissed.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A game selling well doesn't mean it's been well received. You can tell Pokémon games are burning faster now. They don't last long on charts because word of mouth is bad. It's only selling well because of the explosive start (hype and brand, both recently on the rise thanks to Go).
A game selling well is what keeps the games coming. Companies don't give a shit about critical reception when they're still making massive amounts of bank. They'd be perfectly fine and probably exactly the same without Go.

Also Sun and Moon were critica darlings at release, literally only thi forum is down on it.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find it difficult to believe that Nintendo would list Pokemon as "2018 or beyond" in their latest financials (recent as of a week ago) if they didn't think there was at least a chance of it releasing this year. If they know it's not going to make it, they would have already changed the expected date.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That was Creature, although I guess Gamefreak made the textures and animations for their games. However, when it comes to 3D modeling from Gamefreak, the examples are everything, but the pokemon, which...well, let's hope they've had a lot of practice
Nah, Creatures would have made the textures as well. GF probably scaled them down for the 3DS

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

They kinda do. Smash alone won't cut it, & Animal Crossing (while big) is nowhere near as big as Pokémon.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo has a long history of stretching out their first-party releases. Totally believable they'll just clear out late 2018 and let Smash Bros. take the spotlight, save Pokemon for 2019/
Well Pokemon ORAS came out the same day as Smash for the 3DS. They haven't been really following that motto too much when it comes to the Holiday season.

Phil Good

Apr 25, 2018
No matter what ends up happening, if Nintendo thinks they can afford to have Smash as their only 2018 heavy hitter, I will take that as cockiness from their part.

Smash is my favourite franchise of all times but I still believe they need another strong title. It doesn't have to be Pokémon but it would certainly be the strongest megaton to go along Smash in order to hold against Spiderman+RDR2+KH3.

E3 will tell us all anyway. An exciting new IP or Animal Crossing would do the job as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 25, 2017
Smash, Fire Emblem, and something else along with a $50 Black Friday price cut would get them to 20 million units easily.
And if Pokemon is coming out Spring 2019, we would be seeing it right around then.

Guys, don't assume Pokémon Switch will be a new generation.

Also don't expect it to be a big leap / revolution for the franchise.
Why not, a new system always meant a new generation.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still putting my money on Spring 2019

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's coming out holiday. Holiday 2019 that is. Game Freak hasn't developed an HD Pokémon game before and Sun/Moon came out in late 2016. Even if they started before Sun/Moon was done 2016-2018 is still a short cycle especially considering the circumstances.