Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Are there legit reasons or is this like when society just decided one morning to hate Coldplay and Anne Hathaway?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
parachutes and a rush of blood to the head were good

comic sans was never good

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
I thought it became ironically cool lately? Honestly I've always loved it and never got the hate. Other fonts are boring

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why people hate comic Sans so much

He's a pretty funny guy

tumblr_inline_ojhhdbd6El1r4q36m_400.png

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's ugliness is subjective, but seeing as it's one of the like 12 pre-installed fonts that came with old versions of Windows it became overused very fast. Everyone and their mom started using it as a 'fun' font, so it popped up everywhere. The same happened with Helvetica, but since that's such a classy (and classic) font that pretty much fits for everything it doesn't often look out of place, while Comic Sans looks out of place very easily. So combine those two things (overusage and it being used wrong) and you have your answer.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone should reply to this thread until comic sans is made a font option on this forum.

Until then we can not respond properly.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't fit some people's aesthetically profiles. It is in fact a very legible typeface for people for dyslexia.

It's the typeface version of cheap internet logo critique, but more myopic and uninformed.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If you need a cheesy, playful font, this one does it better:

hero.png

Get Comic Neue

Comic Neue fixes the shortcomings of Comic Sans. It's the casual script choice for everyone, including the typographically savvy.

It's way more neat, and still very playful.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I'm so used to seeing it in amateurish applications like flyers and things like that, so that's what I associate it with. I don't think I've seen it used in a way where I think "yeah, that looks good.", but it doesn't boil my blood either.

Real hot take here, but I use Papyrus sometimes and I know that that fact gets me disinvited from the secret graphic designer cabal that meets in the left foot of the Statue of Liberty on Tuesdays. That said, I use it for things like engraved stone pet memorials and things like that, and not in any kind of logo design.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It's a font that is associated with elementary school kids science fair signs and "my first photoshops". It's also been in windows for as long as Windows has been around, so its reputation has been built over decades.

So when adults use it to make a sign about not stealing towels, there's an extreme sense of irony.

It's not that people hate comic sans, it's just it's so often taken out of context and used in ways that are completely unfitting of such a innocent font that make it infamous.

Examples:
probation-comic-sans.png

wanted_comicsans.jpg

Ahd1pnQCEAA0_dy.jpg

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
If you need a cheesy, playful font, this one does it better:

hero.png

Get Comic Neue

Comic Neue fixes the shortcomings of Comic Sans. It's the casual script choice for everyone, including the typographically savvy.

It's way more neat, and still very playful.
I use this one from time to time at the shop and I really like it for certain things.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It's the stigma of kids picking it, when they first use a computer because it looks fun. The cliche.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't live up to its name of being a comics appropriate font.

Typography is very particular and CS is annoying on multiple levels

pants

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As a designer, the short answer is that its sloppy/tacky.

Imagine your message being delivered by someone in sweatpants and flip flops. Its like that.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
Because back in middle school kids would scroll through fonts and randomly pick it because it stood out, and would end up typing whole essays about the Holocaust or some shit in comic sans lol.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I went down a rabbit hole recently, looking at stuff about my favorite game (er-program) as a kid pre-Sims, Microsoft Bob. You can thank this (sadly, failure) for Comic Sans creation.

20160821175125.jpg

www.fonts.com

The Story Behind Comic Sans - Fonts.com | Fonts.com

The Story Behind Comic Sans - Fonts.com | Fonts.com The Story Behind Comic Sans Previous Article Next Article by Ilene Strizver There may not be a designer o...