• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mainstream America aka young people aka millennials

Name me a rock band that has hit the mainstream like Drake, Cardi B, or Migos.
Pop culture is a fucking monster. No way that rock music will ever top it. I don't think it even tries. The music is too out there unless it's fucking nickelback or some bullshit on there.

Cherry picking in what context? If we're talking about what's "popular" yes, there are a lot of "bitches" but the genre is deep enough that you can't say that it's ubiquitous across the board.
What I'm saying is that you'd have to dig deep to find a rapper in the mainstream that isn't misogynistic whereas if you went through mainstream rock bands you'd have to dig deep to find misogynistic ones.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
The thing about "bitch" is this, like "gay" before it: there are many uses of the term which do not in any way directly refer to women, but the entire reason the word exists in the usage it does is because it has association with women, and you're essentially using the word to say "you are acting like a woman, and that is a bad thing."

Cow

Oct 25, 2017
Rock music is dead to the mainstream in 2018. To suggest otherwise is madness.

Oct 25, 2017
The Billboard Charts do not equal culture.

I mean, one of the supposed 'cultural icons' of today rips the style off frequently, and another based an entire tour off it, so...

HE didn't say dominant. He said it was irrelevant.
Fair enough. I'll say that the rock aesthetic is still one that is being chased by some of the more up-and-coming hip-hop acts like Lil Uzi Vert or Trippie Redd. It's also likely that some other, much larger acts incorporate some of its elements. Irrelevant is a pretty blanket term anyways. It's gonna have some ties.

That being said, the sentiment of that poster I think does still matter. Rock, in its more traditional forms aren't in the mainstream, and haven't really mattered for a while. To be honest I don't even remember the context of this in the thread (I think it was that hip-hop is dominant in mainstream American culture, and thus the use of the word there matters more than it does in rock; Also hip-hop simply does incorporate the word a bit more)

flkRaven

Oct 25, 2017
From the billboard top 10 for rap, 7 of the songs contain the word bitch. It's def skewed tho because 2 of the songs are cardi b, but maybe not since 2/3 'no bitch' songs are from drake.

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Maybe you can be insulting without being misogynistic?

It's like asking why you can't call black people niggers as as insult. If you're going to make it specific, you might as well make it specific, no? Why try making insults uninsulting, right?
It's nothing like that. What an awful comparison.
Ignoring the stupid comparison, are you saying that bitch is a word that no one should use anymore? That's what it sounds like.
Society will stop saying bitch, while music, movies and TV shows continue to?
Yeah, okay...

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I wouldn't consider that rock. They're more on the pop side

see: my previous post about rock music gatekeeping.

I mean, I guess if you say that's not rock music thats cool. People gatekeep all the time in hip hop saying "this ain't REAL hip hop". Not here to argue, Pop-rock is a genre, and they fall in that category

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
lol This thread.

Forgot Drake murdered every other hip-hop artist and is now the only one in the game.

Lat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
then we're just gonna go down a rabbit hole of what is and isn't rock music.
Rock has tons of genres under the umbrella of "rock".
Here are some examples:

• Death metal
  • Metal core
  • Sludge metal
  • Heavy metal
  • Thrash metal
Now tell me does Maroon 5 sound like this:

Would it be fair to say that Maroon 5 sounds more top 40 and would complement a R&B or hip hip song rather than Gojira?

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rock has tons of genres under the umbrella of "rock".
Here are some examples:

• Death metal
  • Metal core
  • Sludge metal
  • Heavy metal
  • Thrash metal
Now tell me does Maroon 5 sound like this:

Would it be fair to say that Maroon 5 sounds more top 40 and would complement a R&B or hip hip song rather than Gojira?

The Beatles sound more closer to Maroon 5 than what you posted so where do we go from here?

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I always wondered why everyone laughed at that part, cuz I couldn't understand what was said by the audience members, thanks for helping me finally figure it out

hard to make it out in that shitty video to be fair, on netflix its clearly:

Lady: "Do Mr.Rogers!"
Random asshole: "Shut up bitch!"

and Eddie drops the mic and loses it :p

args

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User warned: Dismissive drive-by posting, thread-whining.
just don't listen to it if you don't like it and stop bitching lol

Wooden Robot

Oct 27, 2017
I love hip hop too but bitch is honestly a tame example. Sometimes I'm listening to new stuff and I'm just like "Damn really?" Anyway it leaves me wondering if anything like #metoo will ever effect the music industry.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Refer to him being such a Nice Guy so I decided to use his last two years

Which is lacking in misogony

I mean if we ignore the man's entire discography before More Life sure, he's cut down on the misogyny a lot. But I wouldn't really say he's left all that shit in the past. He's just less obnoxious about it now.

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bitch is the same as the word nigga, the context defines whether its being used positively or negatively

Also white people should reserve their cultural judgement until after theyve resolved their own misogyny and racism

Deleted member 17952

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nov 9, 2017

At least it seems to have gotten better since gangsta rap in the 90s. I remember thinking this was the most misogynistic song I ever heard before.

Status
Not open for further replies.