• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

limshowron

Banned for multiple alt accounts
Banned
Apr 17, 2018
lol...since when is rap all about rebelling and sticking it to the man ? Many of those rappers just grow up in that kind Environment and try to get paid by rapping about it. Thats why people listen to the shit...its a snapshot out of a life most people dont know much about.

Also there are plenty of rappers who dont use that kind of language....thats like saying you wont ever read a book because of 50 Shades of Grey.

Very few rappers.

Since the west coast boom in the early 90's, which was purposeful, conscious rappers and the fun rapers are almost all out except some underground exceptions.

Also many rappers are faking growing up in the environment.

limshowron

Banned
Apr 17, 2018
Lets not confuse the beginnings of the genre with its current state. OP quotes Lil Yachty lyrics and you are gonna bring up countercultural music ? Rap/Hip Hop has been mainstream for a while now and appears in many different forms and shapes.

There is a big difference between NWA and Lil Pump. The genre is much bigger than its American beginnings....

There's no difference between nwa and lil pump outside lil pump mumbling.

There is a difference between lil pump/nwa and public enemy/kurtis

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because something can be counter cultural and still be mainstream?

Just like the 80s? And 90s and so for forth...
I'm not convinced this is true. In what sense is it counter-cultural when it is the standard for what popular music is? I'm honestly kind of surprised that you don't see the contradiction in saying something is both counter-cultural and mainstream. If we're going by what is popular with Americans, rap music is literally the prevailing culture.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bitch and cunt are like the word retard. People are going to dig in and keep saying them long past the point where it makes them look like a troglodyte.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I get some people are upset with the dogwhistling going on but at the end of the day you can't really (I mean you can but it's hypocritical as hell) to stand up about injustices and microaggressions on this site and pull receipts on people and then pretend like it's out of bounds when people pull yours.

Invoking the comparison with nigger is not pretending something is out of bouds when your card is pulled. It's dog whistling that serves literally no purpose but to go "gotcha black people". Audioboxer was right when he said people who do this are ignorant at best more like just out here trolling. It has literally zero to do with the conversation.

You also can't try to downplay the connection to it by saying that it's a conversation that is best intraracially when it affects more than black women only.

Black people generally only want to talk about this with other black people not because the music only affects black women but because you can't discuss black stuff without it veering into racism. This thread is littered with examples. You can't demamd of black people to engage in discussions where the outcome is always the same racist dogwhistle shit. And we wont. Honestly, that right was lost a long ass time ago.

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017
You know, for someone who is insisting that his opponent has no ammo, you are resorting to far baser tactics that what you are accusing me of.

1. Who is saying that if people stop saying mean words, far more serious problems would somehow magically fix itself? That is hypebolic right there.

2. You are confusing with intentional sexism with unintentional sexism. No, people saying that stuff probably aren't trying to be sexist, but that doesn't mean that the issues aren't there. The constant use of a derogatory and sexist word (and yes, bitch is both of these things) in a form of popular medium is an example of sexism.

3. I really enjoy the "subtle" implication that those who don't say the word bitch is somehow not in the pursuit of just trying to live life and have fun. As do I enjoy this idea that the ones who take issue with you only live via the internet.

Cos that's all you are worth boo, if you are too lazy to even make an effort to dismiss someone's point why should I be bothered

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017
The small things still matter. You and your mates using it between yourselves might present no issues. Those in your group may be more easy to recognize it and not let it affect how you view women. Collectively though it's not true and if it were we wouldn't still be so far behind with this shit as a group. Sharing anecdotes though do you know any of your mates that are afraid to open up about their feelings because they'll be told they're acting like a bitch? I have seen this with black dudes I know and so they self medicate instead of getting help or they shut down in front of people. I've also seen people who say they only use it in a joking manner only to then call a woman one for something they did that was negligible at best as a problem.

Open up? Like what issues at work? Issues with the fam? None of them have any issues with that since we been mates since we were kids. Last time a thread as silly as this was when one poster decided that the word stupid should be banned because of reeasons, I guess this is a step up I supposed.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with sex. Why do people not understand the difference? It's an insult against a sex (female) not a gender- in any case you are correct with the moral of your story.
This is wrong and a generally useless post.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gendered

Definition of gendered
: reflecting the experience, prejudices, or orientations of one sex more than the other
  • gendered language
; also : reflecting or involving genderdifferences or stereotypical gender roles

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
It has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with sex. Why do people not understand the difference? It's an insult against a sex (female) not a gender- in any case you are correct with the moral of your story.

a) "bitch" is a gendered insult as it insults all women regardless of biology b) how would insulting only women with vaginas be any better than insulting all women?

Dec 31, 2017
Yeah it can get a little much. Oddly enough I hardly ever use the term to refer to a woman, but I say it to my guy friends all the time. It definitely is gendered, but it's also so entrenched in society.

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not convinced this is true. In what sense is it counter-cultural when it is the standard for what popular music is? I'm honestly kind of surprised that you don't see the contradiction in saying something is both counter-cultural and mainstream. If we're going by what is popular with Americans, rap music is literally the prevailing culture.
Countercultural themes and motifs are appropriated and assimilated into mainstream culture literally all the time. It's not a contradiction it's an irony. Rap music is part of a culture industry today, just like it was when Public Enemy and NWA were en vogue. There's no contradiction as long as these assimilated elements don't threaten the establishment and still produce profit.

Last edited:

Ap3x

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
User warned: thread-whining, inflammatory drive-by
Whoever cares about something like that got no real problems or has way too much spare time.

DonShula

Oct 25, 2017
Can't we do the "nigga" approach? Women can and should only use it.

This seems like an appropriate way to deal with it. And because of that, I can't wrap my head around a lot of the stuff in this thread.

Apparently it's within culture to say "bitch" and the degree of offense doesn't match up so it's a no go from a lot in this thread.

Guess I can only speak for my culture and what flies there. I am not, how the kids put it, hip.

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
When someone says "hey don't call me that that's not nice". Your response should be "I apologize and will respect your request". Not "urban dictionary says its fine". "My culture has determined this doesn't mean what you think it does", or any other bullshit.

Oct 31, 2017
Kendrick Lamar just won the Pulitzer Prize for music; the awarding winning album feature songs with the word bitch in it.

"Bitch be humble, sit down"

"a virtuosic song collection unified by its vernacular authenticity and rhythmic dynamism that offers affecting vignettes capturing the complexity of modern African-American life."

But yeah, reduce hip-hop culture to being a trump equivalent because you have an anti black agenda.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not sure of the proper etiquette so I apologize if it is weird i censor it in the topic title but not the topic itself.

Just a general inquiry. A few other hop hop topics got me thinking about other aspects of hip hop and I notice a lot of hip hop and rap refer to woman and females as a bitch. Over and over and over again, without apology. I even sometimes here "she is a bad bitch" as if it supposed to be a term of endearment. I man really....how can this still be acceptable? People get up in arms about almost everything nowadays but the use of the word bitch to describe woman is still prominent in rap and hip hop today, and appears to be widely accepted?

As an example...One of my favorite songs is Count me in by lil yachty, where he refers to woman as bitches three times in the first minute of the song. I love the beat but the lyrics my god...they are embarrassing.

Why is this still acceptable and part of hip hop culture? I just don't understand.

OP if you're going to censor words at least make it the right length of characters.

EDIT: I can't English or count apparently. Someone get me a dictionary and a calculator.

On topic:

Toxic masculinity ups street cred. So does breaking rules. Basically they get double points by saying "F*** You" to PC culture.

Last edited:

limshowron

Banned
Apr 17, 2018
Kendrick Lamar just won the Pulitzer Prize for music; the awarding winning album feature songs with the word bitch in it.

"Bitch be humble, sit down"

"a virtuosic song collection unified by its vernacular authenticity and rhythmic dynamism that offers affecting vignettes capturing the complexity of modern African-American life."

But yeah, reduce hip-hop culture to being a trump equivalent because you have an anti black agenda.

Hip hop culture died In 93.

I'm not sure what culture today's rap is. Well, actually its media produced culture I suppose.

But anyway back to the topic, I don't think the b word makes music be anything less than music. Music is music. Some of the guys using it won awards so if people like it the industry makes money.

Oct 31, 2017
Hip hop culture died In 93.

I'm not sure what culture today's rap is. Well, actually its media produced culture I suppose.

But anyway back to the topic, I don't think the b word makes music be anything less than music. Music is music. Some of the guys using it won awards so if people like it the industry makes money.

There isn't just one "rap culture", it's a huge genre of music which makes the "rap culture is so bad" mantra so overtly racist.

Kendrick, Drake & Migos can all be successful acts with largely different culture around them; they're not all the same because they're black guys rapping

Oct 27, 2017
Toxic masculinity ups street cred. So does breaking rules. Basically they get double points by saying "F*** You" to PC culture.
Rap largely hasn't relied on rappers having "street cred" since the 90s, or I guess since the early 2000s. Well, since people like Common, then Kanye and ilk, and conscious/backpack rap came to prominence.

Also, my take is that while "bitch" still can be used as a gendered insult, it's been somewhat reclaimed and become a more generic term with a variety of uses based on the context, much like "nigga" (although, there isn't a harsher variant). You see it as the typical insult against women, an insult against men, you see women use it like "nigga" to refer to their female crew/friends/associates, you see it sometimes as a term of affection from a man to a women (ie. "That's My Bitch" off Watch the Throne). Pretending its use hasn't evolved isn't helping the discussion

Last edited:

PhoenixDark

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
White House
I'm a huge rap fan. Seeing people deny it's the most obscene and misogynist mainstream music genre in America is pretty hilarious. Yea there's a whole lot of rap that isn't misogynist or obscene...but the dominant majority of rap that's consumed is very much so, as are most of the biggest rappers today and in history. Is there anything you guys are willing to take personal responsibility for without bringing up excuses that have nothing to do with the topic at hand? lmao

The word itself doesn't bother me. I definitely cringe at some of the misogyny in the music I listen to, and take responsibility for it. And on the other hand, I marvel at some of it. This is probably the most misogynist song I've heard in a minute yet I love it *shrug* and can't help but laugh at some of the absurdity.

Status
Not open for further replies.