Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
This has always bugged me in most versions of the character, May and Ben should really be one generation older than he is but they are almost always the age his grandparents would likely be. Case in point both my parents are the eldest in their families as a result most of my aunts and uncles are 20 - 30 years older than me.

In most families the aunts and uncles are similar age to the parents, so why do Marvel keep insisting on them being old enough to be his grandparents? MCU got it right with Marisa Tomei who is noticeably older than Peter but not so much older than it became unrealistic or a distraction.

Last edited:

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
In the original Spider-Man movies I always just assumed they were his great aunt/uncle. I call my great aunts/uncles just "aunt/uncle Name" so never seemed that weird to me.

But yeah, I don't know why it's like that in the comics if they specify that Aunt May is the sister of one of his parents

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Because they wanted Aunt May to be in ill health. Keeping Aunt May alive was a brilliant idea on Lee and Ditko's part because Peter was afraid he could go through what he went through when Uncle Ben died all over again.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Because that's the age they are? Seems kind of weird to act like it's something they "keep" doing as opposed to most adaptations just being faithful to the age they were in the comics. And yeah most aunts and uncles would be their parent's age but obviously that's not the case 100% of the time.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In the original Spider-Man movies I always just assumed they were his great aunt/uncle. I call my great aunts/uncles just "aunt/uncle Name" so never seemed that weird to me.

But yeah, I don't know why it's like that in the comics if they specify that Aunt May is the sister of one of his parents

Ben was the brother of Peter's biological father. May was his Aunt by marriage. There is no blood relation between Peter and May.

Olinad

Oct 30, 2017
I call my great-aunt just "aunt" as well, so it's not that weird.

EDIT: also, there can be brothers and sisters with 10+ age gaps, and people having children late... Aunt May and Uncle Ben were usually on the older side in the original comics IIRC.
Doesn't make the MCU Aunt May wrong in any way tho.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
User Banned (2 Week): Boys Club Rhetoric
To defuse some of the sexual tension.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Because, narratively, Stan Lee wanted Peter to have a sickly old aunt to worry about while out fighting crime. It's plausible that she and Ben were significantly older than his parents, and it's plausible his parents were on the old side when he was born, so while odd there's nothing too crazy about it.

Really, his living with an elderly person in ill health who relies on him is more important than any specific blood relation. Make her Grandma May or his great-aunt, it doesn't really matter - that's preferable to me in an adaptation than aging her down.

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Sometimes your aunts and uncles are way older than your parents. My dad is 12 years younger than his oldest brother and that's far from the widest sibling age range I've encountered.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Ben Parker is Richard Parker's brother. Ben is about 20 years older than Richard. So he's about 40 years older than Peter.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't that depend on how old May is though? Some families have large gaps in the age of siblings. I have some aunts and uncles who are 20 years older than my parents.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Back in the 1960s, when Spider-Man was developed, anyone over 35 basically looked like what we see a 90 year as now.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
If Trouble were canon, Aunt May may would have aged from this

latest

To this

latest

in the span of 15 or so years.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I always assumed she was a Great Aunt growing up. My great aunts/uncles all died decades ago, but when I was high school age some were alive and I still called them "Aunt molly"

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
I am not sure but i think Ditko likes to use white hair to mean as an authority figure for Peter's supporting cast. Even at the risk of making them look older than they should.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when Aunt May had the best death scene in comic book history, only to be revealed that she was actually a genetically altered actress planted by Norman Osborn?.....God why do I still read these things.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Case in point both my parents are the eldest in their families as a result most of my aunts and uncles are 20 - 30 years older than me.
If we're using meaningless examples from our own family I have an uncle and aunt who are younger than me, kinda weird that Peter isn't raising Aunt May huh

There can be 30 year gaps between siblings. More if you've got half siblings through a father. Not that uncommon.

thecowboypoet

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is the real answer.

She was most likely in her late 50s early 60s but they made her look 90.
It's like The Doctor, the first Doctor's actor was 55 when he started in he got the role. Capaldi was 56 but seems way more youthful. David Bradley played a very convincing version of the First Doctor in his 70s.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
She was designed during the 60s. It was typical for that generation and generations preceding it to have siblings with wide age gaps between youngest & oldest (as birth control wasn't as much of a thing). Especially with the gaps the world wars could've caused.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it made no sense in the original 1962 version - Pete was 16, Ben and May were in their 60's or 70's. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe Dorothy anther Uncle Henry/Auntie Em kinda influenced their creation? May has definitely gotten dragged to different extents in different versions since then.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
If we're using meaningless examples from our own family I have an uncle and aunt who are younger than me, kinda weird that Peter isn't raising Aunt May huh
That…would actually be a pretty funny and good twist. Make Peter a young father figure who has to negotiate the responsibilities of early parenthood while also being a superhero. Maybe May is still his aunt but his grandpa died instead of uncle Ben or something.

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
I always wondered this too lol. I think in the MCU Tony says to Marisa Tomei "aren't you a little young to be someone's aunt?" and I was like no..... shes probably the exact right age lol

I just assume comic version is his Great Aunt

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
This has always bugged me in most versions of the character, May and Ben should really be one generation older than he is but they are almost always the age his grandparents would likely be. Case in point both my parents are the eldest in their families as a result most of my aunts and uncles are 20 - 30 years older than me.

In most families the aunts and uncles are similar age to the parents, so why do Marvel keep insisting on them being old enough to be his grandparents? MCU got it right with Marisa Tomei who is noticeably older than Peter but not so much older than it became unrealistic or a distraction.
Marisa Tomoei is grandmother age. She's in her late 50s. Perfectly normal grandmother age to a teenager. So she's not really parent / aunt age either. I just don't think we really see woman that age in staring roles. They are either young, middle age mother or old ass grandma.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Family planning doesn't really extend past immediate, so things can happen that could be perceived as "weird."

I have a great aunt (who I ironically just call "aunt" because...that's what you do) and thus my grandmother's youngest sister that was born.....when my grandmother had her first daughter (my oldest aunt). So yeah, that overlap was kinda wild. She's survived two of her sister's daughters too.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I never jived with the idea that the MCU incarnation was preferable just because she had a more conventional age dynamic with Peter.

And yeah, older folks can have kids pretty late in life. When they were originally creating Peter, May and Ben, there wasn't any reason to believe that Peter's parents were notably younger than Ben and May.

MarcelloF

"This guy are sick"
Dec 9, 2020
Not that hard to come up with an explanation.

Like, maybe his mom and dad had a kid late and were already 40 when they had him, Ben could be around 15 years older than him, so when Pete's 15, Ben and May are in their 70s 🤷‍♂️

I'm 12 years older than my sister, my brother is 17 years older than her.

I never jived with the idea that the MCU incarnation was preferable just because she had a more conventional age dynamic with Peter.

And yeah, older folks can have kids pretty late in life. When they were originally creating Peter, May and Ben, there wasn't any reason to believe that Peter's parents were notably younger than Ben and May.
MCU May kinda sucked before No Way Home.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
there's a lot of variations in ages between family members, especially in previous generations. both my mom and dad have like 10 years between their youngest/oldest siblings.

that said, i've always viewed may/ben as grandparents due to their portrayal in the raimi films lol

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
its not entirely uncommon to have much older aunts and uncles, and in this case it was probably meant so that they can play up and portray Uncle Ben and Aunt May as more stereotypical "warm friendly parental figures".

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Because one of the core aspects of spiderman is a hero trying to balance the different aspects of his life while trying to be a hero. So aunt may is depicted as being older and more frail to give an additional thing to worry about.

Also if I recall she's actually based on dorothy's aunt from the wizard of Oz specifically.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I mean you can have families where siblings are many years apart from each other. So it is not out of the realm to have an aunt and uncle that are way older than your mom and dad.