Why do they far outdo the competition? Would more support see their own software suffer?

• Kings/Queens of a smaller pond effect; they definitely benefit from slimmer offerings

Votes: 78 14.3%
  • Nah, the market just likes their stuff more, and votes with their wallets

Votes: 453 83.3%
  • Idk, never really thought about it

Votes: 13 2.4%

• Total voters

Uniomni

Banned
Jun 13, 2022
I've seen it said that Nintendo software sells so much because it is largely unchallenged due to the absence of major 3P titles in their ecosystem.

But even when they had a bunch of 3P support, didn't they still far and away sell the most software on their platforms?

From Nes to DS at least?

Thoughts? The latest financial report spurred this thread of musing

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
When it comes to making games, Nintendo are masters at their craft. Nintendo first party games are legitimately fun regardless if they may not be made in the highest resolution possible like a lot of folks on Era want. Plus, we've all grown up with Nintendo games and have a nostalgic attachment to their mascots so that factors in too.

Oct 25, 2017
I think people just buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. Third party support doesn't really matter because there's better places to play those games.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
They make the most appealing software. People buy the hardware specifically for their games. It's really that simple.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Are we still going with the narrative that Nintendo/Switch doesn't have third party support?

There are 4525 games on Switch. Not all of those are first party games

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo games have a good reputation, they don't get steep price cuts, and in general the people that buy Nintendo systems buy them for Nintendo games so they have been growing an audience for generations.

A lot of us have been playing Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid, etc all our lives. The IP/Brand power obviously makes a difference as well.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
This is completely backwards. People are buying Nintendo hardware because it plays Nintendo software. If the software wasn't appealing, the hardware would also flop.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine whoever says that doesn't know what the NES or SNES were. Nintendo games selling well, even on platforms with strong third party support, isn't new.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I buy Nintendo hardware exclusively for the software, because their software is, more often than not, pretty damn good. And I assume most people do too.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
They're that dope. We've trusted them since the 80s and quality-wise they haven't failed us.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Extremely strong IPs, many of which have built their reputation and maintained an extremely high quality standard for over 30 years, will do that.

Oct 27, 2017
Are we still going with the narrative that Nintendo/Switch doesn't have third party support?

Not that they don't have 3rd party support, but 99.99% of those are not AAA 3rd party games. Switch is Nintendo games, indies, or mostly watered down AAA ports. Which is fine, I mean its one of the most successful consoles of all time.

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
I can't think of any other publisher that has such memorable games and characters in their genre.
It has an universal charm and is mostly timeless.
It appeals to a lot of people.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Mix of high quality, consistent first party titles with a lack of (very) large third party titles

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think people just buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. Third party support doesn't really matter because there's better places to play those games.
Basically this, it's not uncommon for Switch owners to have another system for third-party games. There are exceptions to this, such as how Sonic sells better on Nintendo than elsewhere.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
reggie-nintendo.gif

ArmadilloGame

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Switch has exclusives (or timed exclusives) from Square, Capcom, Sega/Atlus, Ubisoft and more. They have basically everything AA or below in size, and also getting basically every AAA multiplatform game that can run on the system. What lack of support is there?

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
The kings of a small pond argument ignores the consoles on which they had great third party support but first party still sold like crazy. Like Switch for example.

Their games don't sell because of the state of their consoles. Their consoles sell because of the state of their games.

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
It's a mix of creating desirable hardware and appealing games.

Wii U proves that 1st party cannot carry their systems alone. They have to make hardware people actually care to own as well.

You mix that with good games and they create situations where games sell like crazy.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Even when their consoles didn't have third party support, their handhelds did. So at any given point you can see how they perform when they're not holding up the fort entirely by themselves.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
They generally make very very good games. Like, very good. And everyone knows it.

And they also appeal to a really wide demographic. Kids to older people and every taste.

They've got it nailed. Nothing to do with third party software. If Mario Kart 8 and Animal Crossing and TOTK were on PlayStation or Steam they'd sell tens of millions too.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
so is the implication that if Nintendo Switch received games like COD and Assassin's Creed on their platform, their first party software would suffer (significantly) in sales ?

I'm not convinced honestly.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I have more games on my Switch -- both first-party and third-party -- than on any other platform (except PC, but that library dates back to at least 2004 when Steam became a thing).

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
The Switch has a great third party support and both 1P and 3P games are selling really well.

More third party support from those developers that didnt care about the console might have made the system to sell even more but 1P games would not have been affected with this at all. Switch users after all own both 1P and 3P games and enjoy playing with all games.

GDGF

Oct 26, 2017
I actually have far more third party games on my switch than first party.

03-AALIYAH

Jul 21, 2023
In one word : quality - from gameplay to art direction and fun. They rarely miss.

3P support is probably of non consequence for them - but the reverse isn't probably true, I think sales cannibalism was a problem for 3P back on Wii IIRC ?

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
The market values Nintendo content more. Not only more than 3rd party offerings on Nintendo platforms. But more than 1st party offerings on non-Nintendo platforms.

3rd party offerings on Nintendo platforms and 1st and 3rd party non-Nintendo platform content consistently falls in price after a period of time.

If it weren't the case Nintendo that consumers value Nintendo content higher they would find it impossible to maintain launch pricing 7 years after release of a game and still sell it.

Last edited:

Cali32

Oct 11, 2020
I have 33 games on my Switch (all physical). Out of those, 8 are first party and the rest 3rd party. :P

lordmrw

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Cmon man how many more years are some of you going to parrot the people just buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games narrative? They've sold over a billion units of software and counting, publishers wouldn't go through the trouble of porting their high end games if they didn't sell

Oct 25, 2017
I've only bought Nintendo's home consoles" since the Wii U and honestly it's probably fifty fifty when it comes to the distribution. It helps that the switch (and the wii u gamepad to a lesser extent) are great for indies. Obviously Nintendo's first party stuff was a huge draw but is still a big library wade through and their prices stay expensive too.

Will more than happily buy third party stuff on the switch unless the port is really bad, and devoured whatever I could get for the Wii U. Black Ops 2 of all things being a highlight.

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
In a lot of cases there really isn't anything like what Nintendo does at the quality Nintendo does. They have very recognizable characters. They don't over saturate the market of these games.

Not all of these are true for all theie franchises, but for a lot of them all of them are true.

Oct 26, 2017

You do not want to play that numbers game with Switch. Like 50 of those are first party games, 500 are legit third parties and (mostly, to be fair) retro titles, and the rest is absolutely garbage tier shovelware.

Justin Bailey

BackOnline
Oct 28, 2017
Simple answer: people buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. Any third parties that also benefit there are riding the coattails of that sentiment. Nintendo have built brand loyalty by putting out a diverse bit distinctive style of high quality, family-friendly games for decades.

Apr 20, 2022
Nintendo simply makes quality games that most people want. I mean they can make a console that's underpowered, has funky features that are hard to utilise or lack of 3rd party giants like FIFA and they can still sell the console purely because of Nintendo games. That's insane brand strength

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
To an extent with the Switch, the quality of the game and the IP does not matter that much. As long as it's a reasonably appealing IP and the game isn't straight up bad, the Nintendo brand will boost the majority of their game sales. The strength of the IP will determine the magnitude of the sales though. It's impressive Nintendo has reached this point. Also, this is not to say they don't make quality games. They do, but let's not pretend like everything they release has that high a bar.

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of like Mario Kart and like Wii Sports, did Nintendo games even sell that much pre-Switch? Switch has been a combination of a device that people really like using, and some incredible must play titles like BOTW and Animal Crossing that massively drove adoption especially in the Switch's early years, and all franchises are benefitting from that, even franchises that have historically sold poorly, like Metroid Dread

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I feel a relatively high percenage of the games that skip the Switch every year are not really to the interest of most of NIntendo's userbase, like most EA games or Ubisoft's open world games to name a few, if those were on Switch or it's succesor they would sell well but would not generate a lot of interest, so nah, I don't think it's that important.

Breadfan78

Dec 8, 2022
Their games are different each time and usually introduce some form of new gameplay instead of just changing what the long grass and talent trees look like.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Not at all to disparage any other devs or publishers in any way

A lot of regular customers that buy video games on Nintendo machines, especially, buy maybe 5 games max. There's only 1 place to get NINTENDO games, and when given the choice between Mario Kart and another game from another publisher, at full price specifically, they're gonna buy Mario Kart. They might give other games a try, but they'll always bounce back to the 1st Party Nintendo games when they're looking for something new (to them.) Most of the other heavy-hitter IP simply aren't on Nintendo's machine, either, so people that only have "a nintendo" only have so many options when it comes to the big franchise games they may hear about.

That's my perspective, of course! I have no real data to back all that up lol

Oscarzx n

May 24, 2018
Santiago, Chile
Outside of like Mario Kart and like Wii Sports, did Nintendo games even sell that much pre-Switch?
On the Wii, DS and 3DS I feel there were the Nintendo games that sold really well, like 6 million+ (Pokémon, Mario platformers, Wii-series, Animal Crossing or some Mario spin offs), and the ones that barely hit 1 million and in a quite lot of cases not even that, with very few games in the middle.

level

May 25, 2023
Simple answer: people buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. Any third parties that also benefit there are riding the coattails of that sentiment. Nintendo have built brand loyalty by putting out a diverse bit distinctive style of high quality, family-friendly games for decades.

This is pretty much the answer. Nobody's buying the switch to primarily play third party games so when they get the console, their money goes on mostly first party games.

Family-friendly also contributes to it. It offers wide appeal through the ages. Bigger pool of interest means more sales.