Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
There should be a push for looter shooters to be cross platform. They benefit from large population. you can exclude the pvp sections if you're worried.

Was thinking about this while picking up Division 2 and cant play with my brother (pc to xbox)

Ramstein

Dec 3, 2017
TL;DR: In an ideal(communist) world, everyone could play with anyone. But in the real(capitalist) world, that doesn't make as much money as possible.

Feb 15, 2019
Not disagreeing but, there is already a push for cross platform fighting games
I don't ever recall there being a push for cross platform fighting games. I know some of them are cross platform and I know some of them were asked to in some cases like Arcsys when asked for Guilty Gear cross platform. But I definitely don't recall there being a push for it.

Oct 27, 2017
In Destiny's case, they had years long exclusive maps/strikes/weapons/armor only on one platform. Cross-play wouldn't have worked. They ensured that with their anti-consumer business practices.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
As a whole, it's rather surprising to see big AAA Devs/Pubs with more than enough resources not pushing for Cross-Play. We've heard they want to (Overwatch/Apex) but it seems odd no one in the AAA space outside Epic (I guess) has managed to do it yet. The first true AAA game with crossplay like BF6 or a new COD would be a big deal.

I know I went on a tangent there, but i'll bring it back to the OP since the examples given are all AAA.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I wish everything was cross platform. Would make my life way easier. Looter shooters, fighters, whatever.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Not disagreeing but, there is already a push for cross platform fighting games
Well, look at it this way. Which looter shooters are you talking about? Whichever you're thinking of, likely isn't on Switch. It likely is on PS4 but that's not happening because Sony. So you're left with Xbox and PC. Which major Publishers are really doing xbox and PC crossplay (or any crossplay) outside of MS themselves?

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I don't ever recall there being a push for cross platform fighting games. I know some of them are cross platform and I know some of them were asked to in some cases like Arcsys when asked for Guilty Gear cross platform. But I definitely don't recall there being a push for it.
For this reason, I hope Power Rangers Battle for the Grid is a big success.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not disagreeing, but I'm having trouble understanding why a looter shooter would benefit more from a larger audience than say a 100-person round. It's generally just 3 or 4 in a squad, right? You don't need huge playerbases for that.

Obviously, everything should be cross-play and it sucks not being able to play with friends (or brother in your case) on different systems, but I'm not quite understanding where you're coming from.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're right it should happen. But it won't, because the game industry, taken as a whole, is anti consumer.

Consumer need to force their hand on issues like this. I just don't think the interest is there from the general public though. I fear games, like Fortnite and Rocket League will be the exception and the rule.

Cross progression is also something that should exist on a wide scale but does not.

OP
OP
Youngfossil

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not disagreeing, but I'm having trouble understanding why a looter shooter would benefit more from a larger audience than say a 100-person round. It's generally just 3 or 4 in a squad, right? You don't need huge playerbases for that.

Obviously, everything should be cross-play and it sucks not being able to play with friends (or brother in your case) on different systems, but I'm not quite understanding where you're coming from.
Well They benefit later in their lifespan. After it been out for a half of year and everyone is doing end game, making groups for lower level content is hard. A wider pool would help with this issue

tyfon

Nov 2, 2017
Norway
They really should be cross progression at least but I bet they don't want to lose out on the GAS money from double-dippers.
It's very strange though, at least those that force you to log into a 3rd party account should be able to track that stuff.

Same with Apex, Respawn just straight out said their systems didn't support it which I think is BS.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
This little thing called player retention.

If all of your friends play on one platform you are more likely to go there and stay there.

Same with progression. If they allow it you could just up and leave easier.

It's bad business sense

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Well They benefit later in their lifespan. After it been out for a half of year and everyone is doing end game, making groups for lower level content is hard. A wider pool would help with this issue
Ah, I see. That's a fair point. It could be tough finding a balanced group for the unpopular content.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why just looter shooters? All online games should support cross-platform multiplayer and progression.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Depends. Balancing is one thing.

Destiny IIRC for example has some perks that exist on console (ones that affect Aim Assist) that don't exist on PC.

RzrManifest

Banned
Feb 20, 2019

Battle Royales aren't looter shooters. Think Destiny, Anthem, The Division, etc.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
Just give me cross save. I don't even care if i have to pay for the game twice. It's so stupid that all the time I invested on my Xbox Destiny 2 characters are not playable on the PC version.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
TL;DR: In an ideal(communist) world, everyone could play with anyone. But in the real(capitalist) world, that doesn't make as much money as possible.

The ideal scenario is the communist one? This is one of the most idealistic posts that I ever saw on this forum.

_

The true reason: A market leader will never share it's population with another. That and considering that Sony is the market leader now comes with arrogance and irony by themselves and some people actually buys that without consider the variables.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
If Epic could force Sony's hand for Fortnite I'm guessing any big AAA release could get it too if the devs wanted it. We'll see if EA gives a shit about cross play / progression when the next fifa comes out.

Deleted member 31333

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Depends. Balancing is one thing.

Destiny IIRC for example has some perks that exist on console (ones that affect Aim Assist) that don't exist on PC.
Destiny could do cross play for all PvE and maybe PvP cross play for consoles only.

Because its not financially beneficial for them to implement
That's not necessarily true. With cross play multiplayer games remain healthier for longer which could lead to more sales in various ways.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's just because the possibility of it between PS4 and Xbox is a brand new thing and looter shooters are years in the making and come from larger publishers who move slowly. Cross platform play can be put in after the fact, but it's kind of hard for these bigger games to do that. Sort of needs to be an initiative from the get go so things like accounts and networking can be built from the ground up without any issues. I'd expect something like Destiny 3 or Division 3 to push towards cross platform in the future.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017