ChuckXL

Banned
May 3, 2018
They certainly always sold enough to qualify. Did EA do one giant run of each year's installment of Madden, never allowing for the million seller rebranding that Xbox and Playstation would do? Was EA just opposed to it in general?

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
By the time such a branding would be rolling out, they already have next year's game to sell you.

Similarly, I never recall seeing such branding on CoD games past the early 2000's console spinoffs pre-CoD3

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i mean gamestop and co dont even want used sports games. those things go straight to the garbage once they are no longer relevant

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Because the goal is to sell the next year's game at full price, not offer an older game at a discount.

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
i'd be curious to see how deep sale numbers drop after the first week of the season.

i'd also like to see what percentage of the e-waste in the world is comprised of annual sports titles

Lemony1984

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 7, 2020
Cos there's never been a need to do a new print run of a Madden game after the fact.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
Next year's game is ready to come out by the time this branding would be confirmed and the new copies released

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
The only time I've ever seen a Greatest Hits label for an annually-released sports game was for Madden NFL 12 for PS2. And that's likely only because it was the last Madden game on PS2:

image-0.jpg

Apr 7, 2018
It did happen a few times back on the PS1 but it's probably not worth reprinting when a new one is around the corner.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Those labels are there to give a game a second run at retail. Since outdated sports games become useless to most players once the new one comes out, it doesn't make sense to reprint the old title.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
They want to sell you the new version rather than a second wave.

You can also get used copies of old sports games literally for like $1-2 at Gamestop.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
No reason to sell a budget version when a new version comes out and moves massive amounts every year

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
Not needed. By the end of the year- the games all almost all universally $19.99 or less (and worth less than that once the year new game releases).

There's no reason to make a SKU for an old that's generally been rendered obsolete by its successor 12 months later.

Maybe some ultra-rare exceptions, where a very specific game/year in franchise ends up standing above the rest- NHL '94, NFL 2k5 come to mind. But that's REALLY rare occurrence.