Realyst

Oct 27, 2017
Was reading the Atlantic's Obama interview, and I read how Obama believes that we're missing a "common baseline of fact" like a Walter Cronkite or someone that everyone agrees will give the American people an honest observation of current events.

I agree with him that having someone talking to us every night that has widespread appeal but is also a pillar of integrity is truly necessary for those of us that lack the ability to form our own opinions. I just don't know if we can ever have someone like that in modern times with all of the noise we deal with each day, thanks to social media and an overabundance of extremely loud media personalities with close to zero integrity. Or, finding someone that doesn't work at the behest of a multinational conglomerate, or that will not let someone else dictate what needs to be said or ignored.

But, say that this is actually possible (I truly hope that it is!) in our currently hyper-partisan environment. Who would that person be, and how do we signal boost them for the good of the country? Does this person currently exist?

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
For me, for many years it was Jon Stewart, which is incredibly sad in a way. But I watched The Daily Show nightly for many years.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I don't know if it's the case now but even my extremely republican family trusted Dan Rather growing up.

Personally, he's my go-to for media.... reality. I'm nothing like my family but he's always just been the calming, reassuring person in journalism for me especially in these days.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Obama is largely describing a media environment that doesn't exist anymore. He's no dummy, he acknowledged on NPR that such a role largely can't exist anymore due to how tribalistic partisans consume media from VASTLY different sources today - further driving their polarization.

It's also why things like the Fairness Doctrine don't really have a place in the modern media landscape. Thanks to information technology, there's really no way to put that genie back in the bottle.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Tom Hanks with Obama as a distant second.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the issue: If a sane person that was well regarded by all sides spoke up to try to get everyone on the same page, you'd find that suddenly one side would no longer like that person any more

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
Tom Hanks and Oprah.

Oprah has her issues, but there's a reason she still gets lots of big interviews. Regular American still sees her as the definitive Talk Show Voice.

Mar Tuuk

Oct 31, 2017
Top 3
Obama, Joe Biden, or Donald Trump
Millions of people trust any of these three, just look at the election.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
For me, for many years it was Jon Stewart, which is incredibly sad in a way. But I watched The Daily Show nightly for many years.
It's incredible that Stewart, Oliver, Colbert and & Noah are all comedians but they are all educators and much more stable than other comedians.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
in pure number of people?

it honestly might be donald trump

most liberals dont generally trust most other liberals, for good reason. why would you?

but millions of people would and literally do trust him with their lives

because theyre idiots

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
This is all kinda missing the point. Cronkite was trusted because we, collectively, trusted the newsmedia to tell it like it is. To stand above the fray. To tell us the truth and hold the feet of the powerful to the fire. It's why conservative talk radio, among others, demonize them so much. If they make it so people feel like they can't trust the fourth estate, then we're just going to slide more and more into partisanship. A functional democracy needs a trusted newsmedia. Without that, it's just all lies and bullshit from everyone, and those seeking power will always lie or mislead us. It's why having the someone acting as an impartial referee is so important.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
Trump. Roughly 70 million people believe every word he says without question.
I don't think we can confidently say that. It's hard to tell which are the die-hard Trump voters that do trust him with their lives, but I bet there are millions upon millions of Americans that don't trust him but like worldview. I know a number of Republicans that agree that he's an idiot and a liar, but they still voted for him because they like his racism, or they hate the Democrat party that much.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Here's the issue: If a sane person that was well regarded by all sides spoke up to try to get everyone on the same page, you'd find that suddenly one side would no longer like that person any more
Yeah, there's probably some celebrity out there who's been able to keep their head down and not say anything remotely political and thus not earned the ire of either side yet. But they also wouldn't have built up enough trust to survive the first time they opened their mouth and said something radical like "maybe wearing a mask wouldn't be the worst thing in the world."

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
in pure number of people?

it honestly might be donald trump

most liberals dont generally trust most other liberals, for good reason. why would you?

but millions of people would and literally do trust him with their lives

because theyre idiots

maybe the Pope?

I doubt there's quite the same level of devotion there(which is a weird thing to say comparing a literal religious figure to fucking Trump but....) but just in pure binary "trust/don't trust?" terms he's probably got Donald beat

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
maybe the Pope?

I doubt there's quite the same level of devotion there(which is a weird thing to say comparing a literal religious figure to fucking Trump but....) but just in pure binary "trust/don't trust?" terms he's probably got Donald beat

There are 70 million Catholics in the US. Trump got 73 million votes. Close, but Trump ekes out a win!

google says there are 51 million catholics in america
I thought that too, but I think that's just adults and doesn't count the kids/teens. Wikipedia says the 2016 count was 70 million+ total.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
maybe the Pope?

so i went on a little trip just for fun

google says there are 51 million catholics in america
and pew research says only 77% of american catholics have a favorable view of the pope
so 39 million american catholics

doesnt mean anything i guess, just fun numbers to share for the thread. i dont think "favorable view" and trust are the same thing really. and i have no idea how to even start counting how many people "trust" donald trump, surely not votes