WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've had this discussion before with friends and would like to get ERA's thoughts on this. Obviously Smash accounts for Nintendo's heaviest hitters, as well as especially iconic third party characters like Sonic, Cloud, Ryu, and Mega Man. But taking all these characters away, who stands as the most iconic character in gaming?

Note: This is NOT a "Who should be in Smash" thread

I have a few candidates:

Master Chief- possibly the most famous FPS protagonist, and the de facto mascot of Xbox. Chief is definitely a gaming icon, despite being more recent than some.

Chun-Li_tatsunoko.png

Chun Li- Possibly even more iconic to Street Fighter than even Ryu.

009c03c9b0f1cd35d2c0756412c952a7b61ac750f8255595d2ec398ceb073bf7

Doom Guy- The OG FPS protagonist, and likely the face of the genre still to many, especially with 2016 DOOM.
latest

Miles "Tails" Prower- Sonic's buddy and the Luigi to his Mario.

I'm going to add characters suggested below that I agree with enough to put on my list:

Space Invader Alien
Lara Croft
Steve?
Simon Belmont
Bomberman
Ray-Man
Crash Bandicoot

Last edited:

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if he counts, but Goku.

For characters that originated from games, Space Invader alien, Lara Croft, Master Chief, Nathan Drake, Kratos

SM0KE

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't played a smash game since melee, so I don't even know all the characters....

What about vault boy?

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If we're counting people who don't originate from Video Games but have been in video games then:

Mickey Mouse
Son Goku
Naruto Uzumaki

Otherwise, I can't think of many characters that are legitimately iconic and haven't been in Smash because when you look at the best-selling non-Nintendo games, not many of them have characters that are the singular protagonists of their games.

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
Possibly someone from the Sony end of the industry:

Crash is pretty iconic
621.gif

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Bomberman
Lara Croft
Master Chief
Rayman

--

Goku HAS to be Kid Goku if he ever ended up in Smash. Perfect fit.

OP
OP
WestEgg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played a smash game since melee, so I don't even know all the characters....

What about vault boy?

I'm on the fence about considering Vault Boy. He's definitely iconic to the Fallout series, but he's an in-universe fiction mascot rather than a gameplay character.

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Kat from Gravity Rush. She's such a remarkable character that she's quickly turned into the de-facto mascot of Sony, and would be perfect for Smash.

gravity-rush-2_09-21-bdkdw.png

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
When you say "iconic video game character" I immediately think of old school Lara Croft. And she's not in smash so...

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The people suggesting anything from persona or SMT like jack frost, nah, you're wrong. They're hardly iconic compared to things in the OP like Space Invader, Master Chief. Crash and Minecraft guy (Steve) would probably be closer.

Kat from Gravity Rush. She's such a remarkable character that she's quickly turned into the de-facto mascot of Sony, and would be perfect for Smash.

I... Don't think so. I entirely expect to never see Kat again.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft Steve and the Dragonborn from Skyrim are probably up there, even if they're not "characters" in the traditional sense.

Lara Croft and Master Chief are absolutely the biggest when you're talking actual named, fleshed out individuals.

Deleted member 26535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I still think that only Nintendo characters should appear on Smash Bros. series.

I am annoyed with this since Brawl I can not fully enjoy these games because of this (and the lack of individual Break the Targets).

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still think that only Nintendo characters should appear on Smash Bros. series.

I am annoyed with this since Brawl I can not fully enjoy these games because of this (and the lack of individual Break the Targets).
Agreed on both points, BTT was secretly the best thing about melee. So much time spent on optimizing your strat and execution.
I think megaman and ryu are fine because they had huge games on nintendo system. Sonic and cloud though.. ehhhhhhhh