Votes: 174 39.9%
  • Maul

Votes: 262 60.1%

• Total voters

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We're a few days from Kenobi so I thought this might be interesting

On one hand you have Vader who probably blames Kenobi for the death of Padme as much as he blames himself, and also might be slightly miffed about cutting off 75% of his limbs and leaving him to burn to death

Then you have Maul, who lost his legs, career, and his sanity, and ended up spending the next, what, 40 years hunting him?

Who do you think hates him more?

i-hate-you-anakin.gif

darth-maul-mauli.gif

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maul. He made revenge his life. Vader knew Kenobi was alive the whole time and hunting him was a hobby at best for him.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Maul. When Vader met Obi-Wan again he put him down and didn't think much about it beyond leaving spiteful remarks. Maul would have ragdolled his corpse and danced over it.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
Maul mellowed out in the end.
Maul absolutely did not mellow out in the end, he was borderline delusional and hysteric when he tracked him to Tatooine and then lept full force with his lightsaber to kill him. His last question to Obi Wan seems mellow but only because it was his last seconds when he was finally physically and emotionally spent.

Oct 25, 2017
I know people say the star wars cartoon show is supposed to be serious but that is an hilariously goofy looking gif

Actually, now that I think about it: both of them are

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely Maul. Dude literally kept himself alive after being sliced in half because he hated Kenobi lol.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If you've seen Clone Wars, it's Maul easily. Mauls hatred for Obi-Wan literally kept him alive.

I know people say the star wars cartoon show is supposed to be serious but that is an hilariously goofy looking gif

Actually, now that I think about it: both of them are

That's not Clone Wars. This is Maul in Clone Wars.
star-wars-darth-maul.gif

Edit:
Absolutely Maul. Dude literally kept himself alive after being sliced in half because he hated Kenobi lol.

YES EXACTLY LOL

Oct 27, 2017
From what i know Vader didnt spend every living second of his life post-burning trying to find obiwan again despite it being very likely Obiwan didnt die during the purge. He was busy hating himself.

Maul tho? basically did everything to get back at Kenobi after losing his legs. Maniulating governments, invasions, using people, creating criminal gangs, just to find Obiwan

Apr 25, 2020
Definitely Vader.

A lot more emotional baggage there, especially after Anakin got the idea in his head that Obi-Wan and Padme were fraternizing shortly before the duel on Mustafar.

Maul is just your atypical broken ego revenge story. Obi-Wan humiliated him by beating him in a fair fight and it stung him deep. Not much complexity to that.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
Me, because that show is pointless and shouldn't exist.

Eh probably Maul. His entire reason for being, post Phantom Menace, was revenge against Kenobi and then revenge against the Sith.

IN THAT ORDER. Kill Kenobi, then dismantle the Sith establishment.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
i was going to say, didn't his pure unending hate for Kenobi literally keep him alive with dark side force bullshit. could've swore it was similar to Darth Sion from kotor2
I think they said the same for Vader after his defeat in Episode 3, but maybe they walked that back.
Definitely Vader.

A lot more emotional baggage there, especially after Anakin got the idea in his head that Obi-Wan and Padme were fraternizing shortly before the duel on Mustafar.

Maul is just your atypical broken ego revenge story. Obi-Wan humiliated him by beating him in a fair fight and it stung him deep. Not much complexity to that.
Maul is categorically broken and betrayed by Sith philosophy, and is basically the mirror image of the journey Obi-Wan has during the trilogies. Defeated, broken people rise to surpass their limits, but Maul is trapped by rage while Obi-wan is temprered by wisdom. The final battle between them has Maul repeating his old tricks, which Obi-wan has long surpassed.

It's a actually really well done, underscoring the true power of Jedi teaching.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Kenobi fucked up Maul and cut him in half. The only thing that kept him alive was pure hatred for his enemy. Then when he finally came back, Kenobi ruined his plans on multiple occasions again. He was like Maul's nemesis.

Vader just got fucked by Kenobi once and then kinda just let him stay hidden. If he truly hated him he would have searched for him more.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Not even a question really, Maul is just generally much more filled with malice than Vader is and he explicitly targets that hatred at Obi-Wan for years.

It says a lot that the Anakin gif is from... literally the very moment Kenobi defeats him.

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Isn't that how Anakin survived being chopped up and burned alive for so long?

Kinda but no. Maul's hatred and desire was so strong that he mentally lost his mind and was consumed by the darkness in it for what 10-12 years. He was unstable and literally a torso walking around with scraps of metal as a body. Ani laid on a lava beach for 20 minutes and was picked up and given a new body. Maul was abandoned and broken, Anakin was rebuilt.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Vader hated Obi-Wan like a little brother hates an asshole big brother

Maul hated Obi-Wan like a guy that chopped him in half

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely Maul. Vader had a leadership role and was in charge with what I assume a pampered life.

Maul was literally in trash with spider legs stewing in hate.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Much as it seems like Maul, I feel like Vader/Anakin hates him more because he felt like a brother and mentor betrayed him along with the rest of the Jedi. He got a bit Zen about it by the time ANH rolls around to where he's just casually "yeah you're gonna die" about him, but hes's got to be harboring a whole lot of hate against him.

Kinda funny that both of them were amputated by Obi-wan. Star Wars universe loves to lop off limbs for the sake of it, though. Family-friendly violence my ass.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Maul. Vader had a leadership role and was in charge with what I assume a pampered life.

Maul was literally in trash with spider legs stewing in hate.

Vader I believe in canon was perpetually in pain and miserable while being constantly trolled by Palpatine, but yeah he did have contact with others and had something to occupy his time unlike Maul. The solitude would probably be worse imo

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
Maul survived TPM? I heard he was in shoes, but I assumed they took place before the prequels.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Maul started laughing like crazy over learning that Obi was not only alive, but in a position where he could kill him and everything he holds dear.

Maul conquered a planet just to kill Obi-Wan's girlfriend in front of him.

He literally survived being cut in half by fueling the dark side with his hatred for Obi.

Vader deep down is ashamed of failing Obi-Wan

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah.

One dedicated his entire life to tracking down and attempting to kill Kenobi.

The other got in an (admittedly), pretty heated altercation with him that I think ultimately he blames himself for more than anything.

Sep 2, 2018
Vader was miserable, but content with who he was. Obi-Wan was just another Jedi waiting to be killed.

Maul was tracking Obi-Wan until his last day... literally