Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

View: https://youtu.be/a6W_AF2ana4?si=LVAWc0ClEi9wPajJ

Veridis Joe dropped this short video about white folks who have been able to appropriate and steal black fashion, trends, ways of life, music, struggles, but can never nail talking like a black person. Especially when it comes to slang. When white people start using the language, the shelf life is immediately reduced to near extinction within a month. They will run it into the ground. And then older folks will be confused about the rapid spread and misuse of the slang.

mojo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These white streamers have been trying their hardest to make everything sound as lame and corny as possible

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
the only people who can make slang work are people who already have a cool aura to them like hot people making shitty clothes look nice. normies trying to act cool is not cool. being cool should come naturally

pioneer

May 31, 2022
Pretty much every time a word like "rizz" or "bop" goes from something I encounter online occasionally to something I hear overused IRL it is white people, it is cringey and I'm rarely aware of its origins, Black/AAVE or otherwise. Not sure what a real solution is though because "talk like a normal person" is not something that would get through to the kind of people that adopt language like this in an effort to sound cool/relevant.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
There's a sign at Kwik Trip, a very midwestern line of convenience stores, advertising their new fried chicken with "this chicken has some serious rizz" and everybody has been cringing about it.

It's okay, Kwik Trip. You don't need to.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Im just gonna use this thread to say it annoys me to no end when I see AAVE slang in the new york Times daily crossword puzzle referred to as "gen z slang"

cereza

May 3, 2023
These white kids just come off like this, but with broccoli hair:
19990319-4vHs2aT9.jpg

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
For me it's the taking the terms and beating it to the ground. Followed by the condescending attitude some people toward that new slang while it's being forced by people who can't pull it off. And then if those terms are co-oped by right wing circles or "chuds", I now I have to hear from white people about how no one should use them.

Bio-Frost

Nov 6, 2017
Bend
So thread title said white/ non black folks, but what if im half white and half black, do I somehow have a 50% chance of saying it a non white way?
Just always find stuff like this funny because ive been told my whole life i cant say X or Y because im too white or too black depending on who im talking to.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
There's a sign at Kwik Trip, a very midwestern line of convenience stores, advertising their new fried chicken with "this chicken has some serious rizz" and everybody has been cringing about it.

It's okay, Kwik Trip. You don't need to.
lol This just reminded me of a time I saw a banner outside McDonald's about ten years ago with a Filet o Fish sandwich on it and text that said, "Fish on fleek."

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Man this video was amazing. I laughed so fucking hard at mock conversations. 😆

Edit: Yeah "Woke" got the worst of this though. Its surreal what happened with that word.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
welcome to the internet being overunned by 14 year white kids trying to mimic their favorite black streamer/rapper/influencer.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand this or maybe I'm nor looking it from the right angle.

If any group of people start saying slang and it catches on everyone is eventually going to start using it, then of course corporations are going to use it to market stuff.

As far as I know there is only one word completely banned.

Suichimo

Mar 17, 2021
People, kids in particular, will mimic the media they and their social circles partake in. This is nothing new.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
There was a great interview with Sam Jackson years ago (maybe in print? Or some old Vanity Fair/GQ video?) where he said black people will always be the coolest people on the planet because they have humility. They are aware of themselves and don't have anything to lose essentially. Ever since I heard that interview, white kids stealing things from black culture has always felt so gross because there's no way these white kids have the same sense of struggle that formed this culture. And they don't have the ability to create slang on their own.

Like my son's white Canadian friend calling me "fam" and especially "cuh" on Xbox chat makes me bust out laughing AT him. 14 year old kid listens to Drake and Kendrick and immediately thinks that gives him an invite to the cookout.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Have y'all tried just being lame? We're only stealing cause it's cool as fuck and we're jealous.

I'm definitely part of the problem, but it's an unconscious thing

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I swear I've been seeing "blud" all the time on Internet comments lately. Basically never saw it until a month ago, and now pretty much every Instagram post with comments has someone another person "blud", and I browse some of the whitest shit in all of Whitesville.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Have y'all tried just being lame? We're only stealing cause it's cool as fuck and we're jealous.

I'm definitely part of the problem, but it's an unconscious thing

I'm definitely not immune to it. I mean, I grew up in a redneck town and gangster rap and later underground hip hop was a way for me to escape and differentiate myself from the redneck, white family members and their bland midwestern culture. Like, I use the term "dope" at least a dozen times a day, to this day.

I swear I've been seeing "blud" all the time on Internet comments lately. Basically never saw it until a month ago, and now pretty much every Instagram post with comments has someone another person "blud", and I browse some of the whitest shit in all of Whitesville.

Have you heard of "hood irony"? It's a form of meme that's literally white kids posting like they're old black men using the most basic old school gifs and African voices. It's racist as fuck and "blud" is basically a requirement in every video.

I think the surge of white kids saying "blud" is because of that.

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really know if it's a white thing necessarily. I'm from South Side Jamaica Queens - the white people here used slang effortlessly and I never batted my eyes twice at them. It's just how people talked.

I think it's more an authenticity thing?

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I actually kinda cringe every time I hear or see people say any variation of "it do be like that." It comes across as some white kid trying to be hood or some shit.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I actually kinda cringe every time I hear or see people say any variation of "it do be like that." It comes across as some white kid trying to be hood or some shit.

Yeah it's complicated. I'll usually give that one a pass because they're just quoting and old meme most of the time but like..

I'm very glad none of my white friends ever tried to figure out "finna".

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I've been noticing this more and more. "Finna" is a word I like never saw used online or heard from white people until maybe the last 5 years or so, but it's been used in hip hop since the 80s.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
So thread title said white/ non black folks, but what if im half white and half black, do I somehow have a 50% chance of saying it a non white way?
Just always find stuff like this funny because ive been told my whole life i cant say X or Y because im too white or too black depending on who im talking to.
It could rub people the wrong way, sometimes it's just how it sounds coming from you. Theoretically, I can say the n word all I want, but I also recognize that it sounds awkward and forced coming from me so I don't.

But also from this perspective, I have a nephew with albinism. He is black. He probably should not say the n word when gets older. He theoretically can, but how do we think that's gonna play out?

grumpybat

Apr 12, 2021
USA
Nothing new, but you know slang is saturated and done when it becomes advertising. I've seen 3-4 rebrands/ad campains using "hit different" in the last 6 months. Starry, Knuckles the Hedgehog, etc.

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha
yea this shit is annoying as hell. It used to feel like a gif, youtube, vine or a tweet would catch on and people would make references to it till they gradually faded from popularity, replaced by another reference. And yea those could get tiring fast too. But this phenomenon feels like that distilled to its most odious essence. Those 'meme' references tended to have pretty specific uses, nobody was just out there saying 'HE NEEDS HIS MILK' in everyday conversation like it meant something literal.

He hit the nail on the head with driving words into the ground. It's so much easier to shit out a year's worth of obnoxious internet references in a single sentence now that words themselves are more or less internet memes. New 'it' words seem to diffuse so quickly due to TikTok/short-form videos.

Bengraven