Which one is the best looking european delta canard jet?

• Dassault Rafale

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • Eurofighter Typhoon

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • Saab Gripen

Votes: 79 69.3%

• Total voters

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Dassault Rafale:

5221.jpg

Eurofighter Typhoon:

eurofighter_typhoon_flying-other.jpg

Saab JAS-39 Gripen:

Gripen-E.jpg

Cast your vote!

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It would be the Rafale if it wasn't for its refueling probe being constantly erect. Instead, it goes to the Gripen.

Last edited:

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
Eurofoghter has always looked kind of dumb with the bottom intakes, Gripen looks pretty sweet, but I have always had a soft spot for the Raffle. The way the fuselage blends onto the canards I always thought was a unique look.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
What's the story behind this canard preference in European fighter jets? Or alternatively, what's with the American dislike for this type of plane?

OP
OP
ODD

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
What's the story behind this canard preference in European fighter jets? Or alternatively, what's with the American dislike for this type of plane?
Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess that the delta wings produce less drag at high speeds, and allows more room for internal fuel tanks. But they also make the plane more draggy during maneuvers, and make the plane unstable at lower speeds. The canards are there to help the plane to take off, to brake and to make them more maneuverable.

OP
OP
ODD

ODD

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, I never thought that the Gripen would be so much ahead. To be honest, it's my least favorite, and I should be partial to it, since my country (Brazil) bought it and will build it locally in a joint venture with Saab from Sweden. I thought that the Rafale would win this, but I guess I have a weird taste, haha! I used to prefer the Typhoon in the past, but I changed my mind.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Whoa, I never thought that the Gripen would be so much ahead.
It's probably because you took the picture with the nice pattern coloring next to the grey other planes, and the angle also slims it down nicely. If you take a different angle, you can see the back side is proportioned weirdly.

Saab_JAS-39_Gripen_of_the_Czech_Air_Force_taking_off_from_AFB_%C4%8C%C3%A1slav.jpg

kinda looks like it's pooping

Rafale looks great from the front, but it reminds me too much of an old MIG and the cockpit area is also too broad. So my number 1 goes to the Eurofighter.

antipod

Oct 30, 2017
It's probably because you took the picture with the nice pattern coloring next to the grey other planes, and the angle also slims it down nicely. If you take a different angle, you can see the back side is proportioned weirdly.

Saab_JAS-39_Gripen_of_the_Czech_Air_Force_taking_off_from_AFB_%C4%8C%C3%A1slav.jpg

Rafale looks great from the front, but it reminds me too much of an old MIG and the cockpit area is also too broad. So my number 1 goes to the Eurofighter.

Just want to point out that your image is of a Gripen D, a two seater schooling version, that makes the cockpit look as it does. Also, maybe even more important, is that the OP image of Gripen is of the next gen Gripen E version. Gripen E is more or less a completely new air plane that shares a similar look to its smaller predecessor. But the hull isn't exactly the same, Gripen E is larger.

OP
OP
ODD

ODD

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I should have thought about that. I've found some images with all three "together" and on similar positions:

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

1-typhoon-rafale-gripen-2-638.jpg

And these plastic models:

d30vsjz-ac58fa56-9cae-4309-9d1d-f66192209040.jpg

About the protuberant engine on the Gripen, it is designed like that to make it unstable, to make it more maneuverable.