Which art style do you like more?

• Megaman X's

Votes: 262 62.2%
  • Megaman Zero's

Votes: 159 37.8%

• Total voters

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
So Megaman X and Megaman Zero are both set in the same continuity, but have hugely different art styles in the transition between the series. Of the two art styles which one do you like better?

Megaman X's:

latest

1fe62752-f430-43c6-850c-56232cdc9803

latest

Megaman Zero's:

latest

latest

UyQS17ncGQIrKxv7DRS8lMDeFazqyo-tCWOUypX0iCI.jpg

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Can't stand those chunky feet on Megaman or Gundams. New Zero wins easily.

Nachos

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely Mega Man Zero. Much more of a fan of the "jagged" line work, as well as the colors.

But I think the OP should swap out the first two examples of the Zero art style. I don't think they're even drawn by the main artist, which makes the comparison harder for people who've never seen either series.

Unless the thread is about character design, which is completely different from art style.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
X for sure. I prefer the more angular look and the use of bolder colors. Zero is rounded everywhere (almost flirting with chibi) and coupled with the more pastel palette makes it look childish.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mega Man X looks kinda lame imo, but Mega Man Zero looks incredible. Adore its art style

leder

Oct 25, 2017
If we're just talking about the design of X and Zero, it's too close to call, both are great in their own ways. If we bring in all the side characters though, Zero wins by a very large margin. Most of the sidekicks and ancillary characters in X look like trash.

Drizzy Finks

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like the Zero art style, though I think I prefer the main series art overall. Too bad the character designer/lead artist for Mega Man Zero has done some disgusting manga in the past.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I really love both so much that it's hard to choose. I think I'm ever so slightly leaning towards OG X art just because of how much it captured my imagination as a kid.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Tohru Nakayama's art feels more material, like it's an solid object.

000000000003_m6ofbflx3k47.jpg

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we're just talking about the design of X and Zero, it's too close to call, both are great in their own ways. If we bring in all the side characters though, Zero wins by a very large margin. Most of the sidekicks and ancillary characters in X look like trash.
OP is talking about Mega Man X and Mega Man Zero as series, not just the characters X and Zero

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love the X games and how they look, Zero just looks cooler to me. The MMZ art book is one of my favorite that I own.

Toothdrinker

Dec 16, 2021
Love both styles, but will always prefer the X series stuff - particularly the more recent artwork tied to DiVE and the latest merch. I'd love to see some kind of amalgamation of the two though, something that makes them feel part of the same continuity. I know it's a stylistic thing, but the aesthetic changes of X and Zero makes it hard to think they're the same characters.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
There's way more hip thrusting in megaman zero's official art than I remember lol

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
MM Zero's aesthetic is over designed IMO. Too angular and busy.

MMX has the perfect balance of chunky retro sci-fi with bright colors & clean lines.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
they're both pretty awesome imo. x is classic for obvious reasons but zero is kind of an evolution of that style

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The armor pieces in X are bigger, rounder and cooler imo.

In Zero, bodies are too slim, armors are also too slim, and doesn't feel like it will protect a lot.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely X.

Not a big fan of Zero's style; though the artist does do some really cool designs.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Zero loved the art they made for that series. Also gets rid of the big boots which I was never a fan of. The music is amazing too probably some of the best in the franchise.