ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes you can just tell that an online opponent is more than likely gonna work your ass over before gameplay as even begun based on any number of readily apparent factors. What those factors are vary from game to game. Here are two examples of what I mean to get things started:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Japanese Flag Icon + Waluigi/Wiggler build

A deadly combination of hailing from a country that tends to skew higher in terms of average online prowess in Mario Kart and using the game's seemingly universally agreed upon best character/kart build. When you see one or more of these opponents online, you should be content with placing in the top half of the pack at best. Just keep your expectations in check.

Splatoon Series - Japanese player name + Charger user

splatoon-2-splat-charger-2.jpg

Another instance where the concentrated popularity of the series in Japan tends to yield a truly fearsome player base online, especially when they're rocking any of the Charger weapons. If you see this combo in a ranked match of Splatoon 3, start preparing your last will and testament. You're not long for this world at that point.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
These Dota heroes are a smurfer's delight. Anyone picking these heroes under 2k MMR is either a 6k+ MMR booster or an absolute scrub.

latest
latest

latest

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of Mario Kart: all those players with super kawaii Mii avatars. They all have big eyes, tiny mouths, and large sunglasses on their foreheads; they're also really good at the game! They must be a clan or something because their names use a bunch of special characters.

F28TOAy.png

iSzkFJMi0Hrt.jpg

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
Not quite the same but in master duel if the opponent has the ash blossom mate they are going to open with 3+ negates. Also in sf5 there a few characters where you see them on the prematch screen and you can tell what kind of player they're going to be before the match even starts. Like you can feel a random ken vs flowchart ken just off the costume

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Everytime I see a Japanese flag I know my chances of winning are basically 0.01% haha

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
When playing killer in Dead by Daylight and you see a lobby where all 4 survivors have flashy cosmetics (alternatively, all 4 are rocking the same cosmetics on the same character, or any similar "these are all an obvious premade" scenario) and toolboxes/flashlights, you're in for a VERY bad time.

Edit: if they switch their equipment in at the very last second, you'd better pull the ethernet plug on the loading screen unless you're another sweatlord like them.

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In Halo 3 5 Star generals in 2007-2010 gave me a fear no other players have been able to do again.

275-2756301_5-star-halo-3-general-rank.png

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone using basic, stale bread-ass characters in fighting games scares the shit out of me, like Ryu or season 1 GGST Ky. Their fundamentals are always on point.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
NBA 2k23 for me. When I play my Park and I see a player averaging 12 points a game I'm like yeah I'm screwed.

When I see that 99% of the time my team loses like 21 to 4.

Oct 27, 2017
Random Kharacter select in MKII online back on PS3 (menu noises were so loud, I can hear this damn memory of playing this game nightly).

Also Reptile mirror matches because he was bottom tier and my go to no matter and knowing that someone else out there was going bottom tier made me think they were pretty damn konfident (wasn't always the case but it still scared me at kharacter select lol).

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone using basic, stale bread-ass characters in fighting games scares the shit out of me, like Ryu or season 1 GGST Ky. Their fundamentals are always on point.

Random Kharacter select in MKII online back on PS3 (menu noises were so loud, I can hear this damn memory of playing this game nightly).

Also Reptile mirror matches because he was bottom tier and my go to no matter and knowing that someone else out there was going bottom tier made me think they were pretty damn konfident (wasn't always the case but it still scared me at kharacter select lol).

Haha. Both of these are excellent and true.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
Anyone who chooses C Viper in Ultra Street Fighter IV is either completely new or an absolutely unstoppable machine.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
in apex when they show the previous champion at the beginning of the match with like 80k kills and his two teammates have 90k and 100k respectively and the emblems and characters look so tricked out, they just look like a custom painted vehicle with tons of neon on them and shit. They dont even look human anymore.
Im just like, "hey I just play this game casually... why am I in the same match as them again?"