fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I thought for years that Obama was the exception and that Obamacare was great for example, but he has been blamed for drone killing and many people said he only looked good because there was Bush before.

This makes it very hard to consequently find a good president of USA with good ethics and morality, selfless and dedicated to standing for the middle and low classes.I remmberJimmycarter was praised for being a pacifist in our history books. But otherwise, it is very hard to find a recent good president.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would need to read up on Carter a bit more. Americans have a good view of him, but growing up in Central America he was considered the devil. Cant think of a single good one the past 60 years.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If your answer is "Obama was bad because he was a capitalist who drone striked people" then the answer is there has never been a good American president.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Lincoln maybe? Everyone is pretty varying degrees of bad, including ones I like like Teddy and FDR

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm not a fan of Obama at all, but if he doesn't count as good... I don't know you can find someone. ..

Even when some presidents did more than Obama, they also did plenty of bad.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
Obama owned a tan suit and ate both dijon mustard and guacamole and once used a selfie stick so the only acceptable answer is Ronald Reagan.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
If your answer is "Obama was bad because he was a capitalist who drone striked people" then the answer is there has never been a good American president.

Basically this.
America as a country is based on all kinds of bad shit, and every president made decisions that facilitated bad shit and killed people - flat out.

What's the line for acceptable bad shit in the context of the world we live in? Establish that, and maybe there is a discussion to be had about "good presidents".

Anyway, Obama was good in my opinion. I hope history will allow that opinion to hold over time.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
many people such as..?

For every handful of Ok thing Obama did, you can easily find a war crime or something that further eroded democracy in the US. The legacy of neoliberalism also includes the rise of nationalism, not just in the US but worldwide.

What's the long-term legacy Obama left from a policy perspective? Not much really.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Expecting a US President to not have blood on their hands is... well, you'll be disappointed.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
"Good" is subjective. Because for some (most definitely those who have bombs dropped on them in the regular by Freedom ™ ), there have been zero "good" US presidents. All of our presidents are either in or on their way to the bad place (along with the rest of us).

Now, "good" relative to each other is a different story. Obviously Obama relative to the trash before and after him can be counted as "good" even with all his faults.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A black man who became the president of the US. There has been no greater accomplishment when it comes to playing the game of politics.

Oct 25, 2017
William Henry Harrison.

But really probably Lincoln or FDR and FDR was pretty fucking bad more often then he was good

Correct. Least consequential two term president in history

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
In my lifetime? Carter and Obama.

The hangwringing on Obama even in this thread is absurd. Stop purity testing the decent people when their opposition is literal monsters. It doesn't solve anything.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Here in the offtopic section I can swear I read this multiple times(and the drone killing)

Any Democrat is immeasurably better than any Republican due to things like the Supreme court. That said, whether you classify Obama as good depends on how much you care about the pockets of rich white people vs the lives of brown people abroad.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
Would need to read up on Carter a bit more. Americans have a good view of him, but growing up in Central America he was considered the devil. Cant think of a single good one the past 60 years.

Carter? The most bland, do-nothing president in modern history? Americans barely remember him. Maybe they have a "good view" of him as a person and his actions outside of his presidential term.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
Relative to his peers? Obama. Then Carter or FDR.

Obama was a great leader whose decision making was unfortunately twisted by the current geo-political climate that was left to him. I don't think he could have steered the country in a truly great direction given where we were when he started as President, but I think he did a lot to improve our image abroad as well as doing good work given the bullshit partisan stonewalling that was going on during his second term.