Dec 30, 2020
Lol I wish it was edgy
Have the edgiest pokemon.
679.png

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
It's a fun game that forced me to use Pokémon I'd never use otherwise. Also it gave me a Jirachi.

Deleted member 106050

Nov 26, 2021
Pokemon went edgy as early as the beginning of the Pokemon Adventures (Pokemon Special) manga, where Pokemon battles were regularly life or death fights where outright trying to kill the opposing trainer with your Pokemon was common. Blue's Charmelon cut an Arbok in half (though it did get better...) Giovanni literally murders some Magmar, it was a different time

I wouldn't consider Pokémon Adventures to be "edgy", though. It's more of the shonen version of Pokémon. Being edgy implies a degree of self-loathing and/or angst towards the world that simply isn't there. Early Adventures is more violent, but it's a violence that makes sense in context. It's a bit more realistic approach to Pokémon than the games, so attacks and battles have more tangible consequences than simply fainting.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
I just realised that while I want Pokémon to have a little more edge and weirdness these days, I should clarify that I do not want stories about 3,000 year old doomsday weapons that fracture timelines and a 3,000 year old man that burned the world because of his love for a Floette.

Still the stupidest thing Pokémon has ever done.

I don't hate X/Y the way I once did but the story remains abysmal.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
I genuinely can't take anyone seriously who says it was too edgy. Especially in the 2000s when edginess was out of control, now we have to rely on fangames for that kind of edge. The game had an evil team consisting of Power Rangers, disco dancers, a moon girl, and a gorilla man who is the running for most "where the hell did they find this guy?" design of any pokemon game. It definitely took itself more seriously than the average pokemon game but I don't think it ever veered into "ow the edge" territory.

Anyways XD clears, no my 200 hours of playtime as a kid has no influence on this answer. Also pretty sure the professor in XD was boning my mom, not sure what that was about.

Eh, I'd say it's definitely the most edgy seeming Pokemon game on its face. You play as a reforming criminal in a desolate region full of other thugs, the only way to catch Pokemon is to steal corrupted ones, and most of the civilized areas are either run by the big bad syndicate in the open or secretly in the case of Phenac City

It's a shame it never commits to its rough and dirty setting. The second you rescue Rui you're basically doing average Pokemon hero stuff, the bad guys are cartoon villains and the thuggish rest of the pokemon trainer world is window dressing at best. I think one (just one) trainer offhandedly mentions the fact you just stole his Pokemon after you defeat him.

Fowler

Oct 26, 2017
I wish folks would actually engage with the video rather than just reacting off of the title. ThorHighHeels is consistently one of the most enjoyable video editors on all of Youtube and he makes it seem effortless to write compelling scripts that concisely convey the points he wants to cover while retaining a casual stream of consciousness style narration.

I mean, I watched for a minute and had to stop because I found the video deeply irritating. "concise" is not a word I'd use to describe whatever was going on there.

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
I just realised that while I want Pokémon to have a little more edge and weirdness these days, I should clarify that I do not want stories about 3,000 year old doomsday weapons that fracture timelines and a 3,000 year old man that burned the world because of his love for a Floette.

Most Pokémon stories are hot garbage.

Capra

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thor weaves tongue-twisters into every script like it's Bojack Horseman or some shit he's amazing

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va

cmon that shit was amazing, i felt my brain being reprogrammed during that cutscene

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
cmon that shit was amazing, i felt my brain being reprogrammed during that cutscene

Genuinely a series low point for me, narratively anyway.

Between a forgettable cast of friends who aren't really rivals, Team Flare having the stupidest motivation of any antagonists in the series and this weird doomsday weapon plot that was thrown in in an attempt to give the threadbare story the appearance of gravitas and sombreness at the last minute… it's just a mess for me.

I completely get why they went so hard in this direction after people's initial reactions to Gen 5 but yeah. For me it's the beginning point of the failures of modern Pokémon.

Colosseum was edgy, but in an internally logical way that made sense with the setting and characters shown throughout.

Admittedly, I've never played XD and that may be a step too far in the edgy direction for me if I ever do play it.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
I wish folks would actually engage with the video rather than just reacting off of the title. ThorHighHeels is consistently one of the most enjoyable video editors on all of Youtube and he makes it seem effortless to write compelling scripts that concisely convey the points he wants to cover while retaining a casual stream of consciousness style narration.
Bravo!

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
Genuinely a series low point for me, narratively anyway.

Between a forgettable cast of friends who aren't really rivals, Team Flare having the stupidest motivation of any antagonists in the series and this weird doomsday weapon plot that was thrown in in an attempt to give the threadbare story the appearance of gravitas and sombreness at the last minute… it's just a mess for me.

I completely get why they went so hard in this direction after people's initial reactions to Gen 5 but yeah. For me it's the beginning point of the failures of modern Pokémon.

Colosseum was edgy, but in an internally logical way that made sense with the setting and characters shown throughout.

Admittedly, I've never played XD and that may be a step too far in the edgy direction for me if I ever do play it.
i don't even disagree, i just laugh every time i think about a giant man and his tiny flower bride standing in a fiery hellscape

i'm probably not the one to go to for ratings on pokemon narratives though, personally i dont even want to deal with like gen 5's. none of these people matter to me

also i'm like a gigantic fan of the DPP plotline and cyrus, that mopey bitch

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
XD is actually a lot more lighthearted than Colosseum is despite more or less being a direct sequel. the villains are toothless, most of the returning characters are just there to reference the last game's events or got demoted to comic relief. shadow lugia aside, there's virtually no edge at all

Fowler

Oct 26, 2017
i don't even disagree, i just laugh every time i think about a giant man and his tiny flower bride standing in a fiery hellscape

I laugh every time Flare activates the ultimate weapon and the houses in town are just... knocked backwards, yet totally intact, like toy houses flipped to the side. It's meant to be this really "oh damn!" cutscene and instead I'm just laughing at the silly houses lying on their backs like turtles that can't get up.

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom

i'm probably not the one to go to for ratings on pokemon narratives though, personally i dont even want to deal with like gen 5's. none of these people matter to me

also i'm like a gigantic fan of the DPP plotline and cyrus, that mopey bitch

Completely fair regarding AZ. It is hilarious trying to comprehend what they were thinking.

I think DPPt is the most boilerplate post Gen 2 storyline you can get. This isn't a bad thing, though. I took it more seriously than Gen 3's silly land vs water quarrel where both teams are just as idiotic as each other.

Gen 4 is the most basic "get the badges, evil team wants to summon a god, oh no the god summoning plan backfired, now you're the champ" storyline in the franchise. It's not great but I'd put it above Gen 3's, 6's, and 8's plotlines in this vein.

XD is actually a lot more lighthearted than Colosseum is despite more or less being a direct sequel. the villains are toothless, most of the returning characters are just there to reference the last game's events or got demoted to comic relief. shadow lugia aside, there's virtually no edge at all

And that's super interesting to me. I honestly always thought given it was a sequel to Colosseum and had both the EDGY ecks dee subtitle and the EDGY shadow lugia who's got an inverse colour scheme that it'd be even more tryhard. I really should give it a shot one day.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
Gen 4 is the most basic "get the badges, evil team wants to summon a god, oh no the god summoning plan backfired, now you're the champ" storyline in the franchise. It's not great but I'd put it above Gen 3's, 6's, and 8's plotlines in this vein.
yeah mostly i just think it's funny that cyrus is like legitimately a character pulled from shin megami tensei 3

SanTheSly

The San Symphony Project
Sep 2, 2019
United Kingdom
You know, is resetera even truly a gaming forum until we have our own collaborative Pokémon fangame that crashes and burns at less than 10% of a complete region dex designed?

Aug 7, 2020
... I unironically love Pokemon Reborn and Pokemon Rejuvenation, as far as fan games are concerned. Genuinely have more fun with them than the mainline games.

Reborn starts with a terrorist bombing of a train station, frames powerful Pokemon as sentient weapons of mass destruction, and puts you in an extremely messed up slum-like city for the first 15 or so hours.

Rejuvenation also starts with a terrorist attack (one that kills your parent, even) does a lot of weird dark sci-fi stuff, and a reasonable amount of body horror involved with ghost and psychic type Pokemon.

...I might be an edgelord. I swear there's actual idealism and joy deep within those games' writing though.
Pokémon reborn basically is edge with a mix of hope .

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
... I unironically love Pokemon Reborn and Pokemon Rejuvenation, as far as fan games are concerned. Genuinely have more fun with them than the mainline games.

Reborn starts with a terrorist bombing of a train station, frames powerful Pokemon as sentient weapons of mass destruction, and puts you in an extremely messed up slum-like city for the first 15 or so hours.

Rejuvenation also starts with a terrorist attack (one that kills your parent, even) does a lot of weird dark sci-fi stuff, and a reasonable amount of body horror involved with ghost and psychic type Pokemon.

...I might be an edgelord. I swear there's actual idealism and joy deep within those games' writing though.

I'm serious when I say that Pokemon Reborn is well-written edge. I love that game for the best-in-class Pkm game design by a country mile but the characters and plot progression are quite enjoyable, too. And the dev(s) know to balance the edge with a good bit of positivity etc., too.

NathanS

Dec 5, 2017
And that's super interesting to me. I honestly always thought given it was a sequel to Colosseum and had both the EDGY ecks dee subtitle and the EDGY shadow lugia who's got an inverse colour scheme that it'd be even more tryhard. I really should give it a shot one day.
Its going for something a lot closer to "standard Pokemon adventure" in vibes. Just check out the difference in the MC's design to compared to Wes:
XD_Michael.png

He rides a perfectly normal scooter. Even folds in one or more areas with wild pokemon to fight and catch and gets rid of any 'pay to heal' areas. And slap in an expanded map that adds a nice lush green part of the region.

Orre.png

I think its part of why its less well remembered. One can argue its overall better made in some key ways... but its a hell of a lot less interesting. the grit and "stepped out of a modern FF game" bits of character design for Wes was only surface level for the most part, but it still committed to feeling distinct form the normal Pokemon RPG a lot harder.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
XD's lighter tone hits hard though when you get to the SS Libra and all of a sudden the game is blaring that sad music and the whole place is already cleared out, all the pokemon stolen. Kid me had no idea how the bonsly stuff worked though, I probably spent five hours in that ship. I also like the idea that someone honestly named a location CITADARK. Sure hope everyone is behaving on a place called the dark citadel.

Me when I'm trying to eat a comically large piece of delicious pokesnack and I keep getting accosted by a disco dancer or a Sora wannabe.

Last edited:

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Still sad that Shadow Lugia was never used again, also the names used there for the trainers were so ridiculous, they were barely names

Also not even having Wes and Ruri in Gale of Darkness was so lame, really hate when sequels with a different protagonist doesn't have the old one for no real reason

Titantodd

May 3, 2023

Yep, that's totally fair. The bad guy team in both games are treated like actual, genuine existential threats. Both games have a few sympathetic members of the evil team, but their goals are just about as dangerous as you can get.

I kinda hope it's apparent from the other comments that both games are really about taking an extremely screwed up place and making it better little by little though. There is an idealistic bent to them. You absolutely have to work for it, but you can build a better world there.

Aug 7, 2020

I always assume that rejuvenation is actually edgier than Pokémon reborn with a more tragic protagonist.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Edginess aside. Pokemon Colosseum/XD were interesting to me because they predominately featured double battles. Outside of a few gimmick trainers, you didn't actually encounter double battles in the main games very often. I used moves and abilities in Colosseum/XD that I never did in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.

NathanS

Dec 5, 2017
At the same time.... the video linked feels written by someone who has liked... only played Red and blue and even then wasn't paying the slightest bit of attention. Like for example he treats... breaking into a crime lair and needing to find your way through it as if its something Pokemon has never done before then.

solarhorse

Jul 4, 2019
Colosseum and XD are two of my favourite Pokemon games ever. 20 years on and Pokemon has never felt so unique since. I particular like Pokemon XG, which is a rom hack of XD that harder, has more Pokemon to catch and
actually lets you fight robo-Groudon

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
The Orre games are shallow? Has this dude played any other Pokémon game, ever? I'll give you the edginess, but it was 2004/05 so that's a product of the times (tribal tattoo Mario anyone?)

These are the only games in the series that actually make you engage with the game's mechanics beyond "spam A on your strongest move to win". You actually need to use status and stat effecting moves in thought out ways to win. Everything being based around double battles also makes you think much more deeply about team synergy than I ever have in the GF developed games. XD's battle CDs (effectively a challenge mode) give some of the best challenges in the franchise too by limiting your moves, turns to win etc.

These games also have some of (I'd say the) the best soundtracks in any Pokemon game. Every track is just banger after banger, I'd give anything for Tsukasa Tawada to be given the lead on another Pokémon game. They're some of the best games in the franchise, only outdone by Emerald, HGSS and B2W2 imo.