Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
d3k46127kfxz.png

With us currently being at 807 Pokémon (with #807 being the currently-unrevealed Zeraora), it's only a matter of time before we cross the 1,000 Pokémon barrier. When do you guys think we'll hit 1,000 Pokémon?

Last edited:

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
2 more gens

Maaaaybe 3

Edit: If newer gens are Switch only, and thus require higher quality assets from the start, I could see it taking 3 gens.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
I'm thinking Gen 10 we will finally cross the 1000 pokemon threshold. Based upon how large Gen 6 and Gen 7 were. Although if Gen 8 and 9 are more normal sized generations then we could cross that barrier sooner.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Note: The above is speculation and not indicative of insider knowledge

Deleted member 4296

Oct 25, 2017
All I know is the moment they do is the moment I have my midlife crisis. Regardless of how old I actually am at that time.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Hopefully we get enough in the next two that we get there. I will never understand people who think there are too many or think it should slow down.

More monsters ain't huntin no one

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Three generations

They have slowed down and have introduced things like megaevolutions and regional forms precisely because of that. They count as new Pokémon but they do not occupy position in the Pokedex

Oct 27, 2017
Three to four generations from now. Seems like the transition to 3D has Game Freak introducing less Pokemon, and I can imagine that now that they got to make games for the Switch, the number is going to get even lower. I know Generations 6 and 7 got 70-80 Pokemon each, but I wouldn't be surprised if that number dropped to 40-50 starting this new generation.

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
Probably around two to three gens. Gen 6 & 7 only introduced around 70 to 80 new Pokémon each so things have slowed down.
I'm interested to see if they'll keep doing the regional variants or if that was a one time thing for Gen 7.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018

Note: The above is speculation and not indicative of insider knowledge

Getting irritated? ;)
Understandable.

But yeah, around 2028 actually seems reasonable.

20 Years with about 800 Mons -> thoretically in 5 years.
Since it slowed down (Gen 6 and 7) 10 years is more likely.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am still predicting that Game Freak wants to save that 1000 numbering for one special Pokémon or for a soft reboot ala Black and White, so it depends on how many Pokémon they introduce in gen 8.

unless they do a reboot of sorts.

They spent 22 years carefully building up a continuity, they aren't going to throw that away and reboot the series.

Three generations

They have slowed down and have introduced things like megaevolutions and regional forms precisely because of that. They count as new Pokémon but they do not occupy position in the Pokedex

Mega and regional forms don't count as new Pokémon, it's just a cop out method that Game Freak uses without increasing the Pokédex numbering and the game reflect that by putting both Mega and regional form in the appearance section in the Pokédex.

I haven't played Pokemon forever, I'm just here for the most ridiculous designs. And that one definitely qualifies.

I have played Pokémon and I am just here for the most ridiculous posts. And yours definitely qualifies.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
Three to four generations from now. Seems like the transition to 3D has Game Freak introducing less Pokemon, and I can imagine that now that they got to make games for the Switch, the number is going to get even lower. I know Generations 6 and 7 got 70-80 Pokemon each, but I wouldn't be surprised if that number dropped to 40-50 starting this new generation.

Which gen will have Proto-Koffing?

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say Gen 9 will hit 1000, it would be silly to reach something like 970 and then have to wait again lol

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I have played Pokémon and I am just here for the most ridiculous posts. And yours definitely qualifies.

I haven't played Pokemon for a long while, I'm just here for dumb ad hominems. Yours definitely qualifies.
Am I not allowed to enjoy surreal Pokemon designs without having to play Pokemon?

Look up some ultrabeasts. I think they tried to make them make more outlandish (since they are not normal pokemon)

Yeah, I checked them out while reading up more on Stakataka. They are insane. I love it.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Ultra Beasts are basically aliens. For a while there was some debate about if they are even Pokémon or not. (They are)

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I am still predicting that Game Freak wants to save that 1000 numbering for one special Pokémon or for a soft reboot ala Black and White, so it depends on how many Pokémon they introduce in gen 8.

They spent 22 years carefully building up a continuity, they aren't going to throw that away and reboot the series.

Mega and regional forms don't count as new Pokémon, it's just a cop out method that Game Freak uses without increasing the Pokédex numbering and the game reflect that by putting both Mega and regional form in the appearance section in the Pokédex.

They count at the level of new Pokémon in the sense that you can use them as a novelty for marketing and merchandising at the same level as if they were new.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
Ouch :p

It's Stakataka, one of the new Ultra Beasts

assembly.png

Each brick is its own entity and moves on its own

I actually really like that there's so many fucking Pokemon now that I can't keep track of them, so I actually get wowed when I see things such as this.

It's gonna be so cool that there'll be new Pokemon all through our lives, and how kids — tens of generations from now — will be looking at the original 151 like they're the beginning of some kind of ancestral dynasty.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Lol. That disclaimer though.

I think 2 generations from now we'll reach that number. But to be fair I think that region forms should be counted as individual pokemon but that's just me.

Yeah, some evos are less different from the previos evolution than megas and regional variants are design wise.
But i also see what they are trying. Getting new exiting forms, usable for marketing, great for hyping up the games,
but still easier to create than new pokemon.

So they can't count them as normal mons,
since it would muddy the water with theyr core product (new mons)

By the way: we had this since forever. It startet with shinies, and than with different Forms since Gen 3.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Call me old or weird, but I kind of don't really like the concept of Pokemon added in the 3rd version/Sequel. If the blocks, the clown, the poison imp and the electric imp were in the code of S/M and just waiting to be released (ie Marshadow) i'd be more accepting of them.

Anyone else?

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Hopefully never. There's too many as it is :( I'd rather they be creative with what they have or add less. The amount they've added with how little they've improved the core experience has really killed any excitement the franchise used to offer me

Sorry.
Was my favorite game for a long stretch of time too

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Hopefully never. There's too many as it is :( I'd rather they be creative with what they have or add less. The amount they've added with how little they've improved the core experience has really killed any excitement the franchise used to offer me

Sorry.
Was my favorite game for a long stretch of time too
But it's not like the people who design the Pokémon are the ones who make the game itself.