Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
Alexandria, Egypt
3454_Art-of-Lord-of-Rings_p8.jpg

(Tolkien's very own depiction of Sauron in his disfigured Dark Lord guise.)

Sauron is arguably Tolkien's greatest villian and he has appeared in various forms of media now, but is your favourite depiction of him thus far?

Briefly on Sauron:

In the Silmarillion and Tales of the First Age Sauron was a being of Valinor perverted to the service of the Enemy [Melkor] and becoming his chief captain and servant. He repents in fear when the First Enemy is utterly defeated, but in the end does not do as was commanded, return to the judgement of the gods. He lingers in Middle-earth. Very slowly, beginning with fair motives: the reorganising and rehabilitation of the ruin of Middle-earth, 'neglected by the gods', he becomes a reincarnation of Evil, and a thing lusting for Complete Power – and so consumed ever more fiercely with hate (especially of gods and Elves). Sauron was of course not 'evil' in origin. He was a 'spirit' corrupted by the Prime Dark Lord (the Prime sub-creative Rebel) Morgoth. He was given an opportunity of repentance, when Morgoth was overcome, but could not face the humiliation of recantation, and suing for pardon; and so his temporary turn to good and 'benevolence' ended in a greater relapse, until he became the main representative of Evil of later ages.

Sauron should be thought of as very terrible. The form that he took was that of a man of more than human stature, but not gigantic. In his earlier incarnation he was able to veil his power (as Gandalf did) and could appear as a commanding figure of great strength of body and supremely royal demeanour and countenance. But at the beginning of the Second Age he was still beautiful to look at, or could still assume a beautiful visible shape – and was not indeed wholly evil, not unless all 'reformers' who want to hurry up with 'reconstruction' and 'reorganization' are wholly evil, even before pride and the lust to exert their will eat them up. But many Elves listened to Sauron. He was still fair in that early time, and his motives and those of the Elves seemed to go partly together: the healing of the desolate lands. Sauron found their weak point in suggesting that, helping one another, they could make Western Middle-earth as beautiful as Valinor. It was really a veiled attack on the gods, an incitement to try and make a separate independent paradise. Gil-galad repulsed all such overtures, as also did Elrond. But at Eregion great work began – and the Elves came their nearest to falling to 'magic' and machinery.

Sauron desired to be a God-King, and was held to be this by his servants; if he had been victorious, he would have demanded divine honour from all rational creatures and absolute temporal power over the whole world. By a triple treachery: 1. Because of his admiration of Strength he had become a follower of Morgoth and fell with him down into the depths of evil, becoming his chief agent in Middle Earth. 2. when Morgoth was defeated by the Valar finally he forsook his allegiance; but out of fear only; he did not present himself to the Valar or sue for pardon and remained in Middle Earth. 3. When he found how greatly his knowledge was admired by all other rational creatures and how easy it was to influence them; his pride became boundless.

Sauron was "greater", effectively, in the Second Age than Morgoth at the end of the First. Why? Because, though he was far smaller by natural stature, he had not yet fallen so low. Eventually he also squandered his power (of being) in the endeavour to gain control of others. But he was not obliged to expend so much of himself. To gain domination over Arda, Morgoth had let most of his being pass into the physical constituents of the Earth — hence all things that were born on Earth, and lived on and by it, beasts or plants or incarnate spirits, were liable to be "stained". Morgoth at the time of the War of the Jewels had become permanently "incarnate"; for this reason, he was afraid, and waged the war almost entirely by means of devices, or of subordinates and dominated creatures.

Sauron from Peter Jackon's LOTR trilogy:

Sauron-at-Mount-Doom.jpg

DistortedPastAnnashummingbird-size_restricted.gif

AltruisticNearCivet-max-1mb.gif

Sauron from the Mordor videogames by Monolith Productions:

latest

annatar-celebrimbor.gif

Sauron from Amazon's Rings of Power:

RPAZ_S1_FG_108_Still054_R1_3000-scaled.jpg

sauron-halbrand-the-rings-of-power-sauron-ilk-g%C3%B6r%C3%BCnd%C3%BC%C4%9F%C3%BCsahne.gif

a4463cab5cb9067b5bee376a8c029e0e0004528c.gif

halbrand-the-ring-of-power.gif

Any of the above, or are there other depictions of Sauron that you prefer?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think the elven design in the Mordor games skews the closest to how I personally pictured Annatar based on Tolkien's writings.

Characterization-wise, it's a little more complicated than that. I didn't really enjoy the Halbrand subplot in Rings of Power because it places way too much blame for Sauron's return to power and the end of the Third Age squarely on Galadriel's shoulders, but at the same time I also don't really consider the Jackson Sauron to even be a character. He's just a suit of armor and a presence, which to be fair, is kind of how he is by the time of the War of the Ring, but it's also not super interesting beyond that.

Fitz

Oct 25, 2017
I'll take anything by Nasmith. He hasn't done a lot of Sauron as far as I'm aware, what there is is his usual quality though:

TN-The_Shadow_of_Sauron.jpg

I'm not super in to any of the live action depictions, but I did like this glimpse in The Hobbit films:

latest

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
I know that shadows and rings of power leaned more lore accurate, with Sauron being a master manipulator.

But I can't deny that Peter Jackson's eye for cinematic scale is still my favourite.

It's not sauron, but it's why I love his version of the Witch King documented in the extended definition DVD. Jackson kept demanding a bigger version of the flail, until it was too big for him to hold and that was the perfect one for him.

I admit that's my personal preference though, it's a little larger than life and just thoroughly entertaining to watch.

I am also glad he decided against making Sauron Aragorn's final boss fight and cgi'd over it with a troll, but I'm curious what his take on Sauron's manipulative form would have looked like.

Last edited:

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a fan of Vickers performance. I could see him portraying many different aspects of Sauron's personality going forward. Looking forward to seeing more of him in RoP.

That said his voice in the LotR trilogy has an incredible presence. "You cannot hide….. I see YOU!" will be burned into my head forever.

I do get a kick out of Spike Spiegel voicing him in the games as Annatar, silly as those games are. Cool design as well.

Only one I can think of that I really dislike is Cumberbatch's voiceover in the Hobbit trilogy. Didn't hit like I think PJ thought it would

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Rings Of Power was the first on screen media that made Sauron interesting for me. Really gave some depth that was accurate to Tolkien too.

Hoping Vickers still plays him particularly for the whole fall of Numenor.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
As others have said, the look of PJ Sauron is iconic but RoP covered a period where he is arguably more interesting with his scheming and corrupting.

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
Movies version is pretty iconic with the badass armor but Halbrand character is a very good depiction of Sauron getting the things he wants with the power of charisma

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm quite interested to see where Rings of Power goes with him. The PJ version is basically non existent so not much to say there.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
For "fair" Sauron I vastly prefer the games because that's how I imagine him during that period.

Halbrand is a bit weird to me because becoming a man seems silly considering Sauron's several thousand year history with Elves and their special unique status among the Valar. I was under the impression that men were lesser beings than elves in basically 95-99% of things (where men excel seems to be in their character and less in deeds and accomplishments). So seeing him as a man is only slightly more logical than presenting himself as a dwarf frankly and that's just because men play a much larger role in Middle Earth.

But PJ's abstract and undefined form of Sauron was perfect to me. The monster is always far more frightening when you can't really see it yet it's always present and looming. Sauron comes off as an idea that prays on your sanity and crushes your spirit.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
For "fair" Sauron I vastly prefer the games because that's how I imagine him during that period.

Halbrand is a bit weird to me because becoming a man seems silly considering Sauron's several thousand year history with Elves and their special unique status among the Valar. I was under the impression that men were lesser beings than elves in basically 95-99% of things (where men excel seems to be in their character and less in deeds and accomplishments). So seeing him as a man is only slightly more logical than presenting himself as a dwarf frankly and that's just because men play a much larger role in Middle Earth.

But PJ's abstract and undefined form of Sauron was perfect to me. The monster is always far more frightening when you can't really see it yet it's always present and looming. Sauron comes off as an idea that prays on your sanity and crushes your spirit.

That the final product of the movies was that he was a monster, robbed of his body, but could still influence people is also just a metaphor perfect for today.

That even Aragorn, directly confronted by the gaze of evil ideology was briefly convinced and listened to whatever he had to say, where gandalf felt he might need to step in, before he says "for Frodo" is just a really hero defining moment.

PJ made TLOR with an eye for an action movie, and I can understand how that upsets fans of Tolkien, but it really was effective and well done with how Sauron was handled.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
The charisma in Ring of Power was pretty interesting to see - the trilogy's look is iconic but really just a hulking non-presence.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
His Marvel iteration is great. A weird departure from the books, to be sure.

img_7080voibw.jpeg

OP
OP
Edmond Dantès

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
Alexandria, Egypt
I'll take anything by Nasmith. He hasn't done a lot of Sauron as far as I'm aware, what there is is his usual quality though:

TN-The_Shadow_of_Sauron.jpg

I'm not super in to any of the live action depictions, but I did like this glimpse in The Hobbit films:

latest
Nasmith's is certainly a great adaptation of Tolkien's stretching hand painting.

I'll give a shoutout to Alan Lee's depiction of Sauron forging the One Ring.

alan-lee--sauron-forges-the-one-ring.jpg

John Howe to my knowledge hasn't attempted a standalone piece of artwork depicting Sauron in humanoid form.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

Well, in the second age he's only ever described by Tolkien as a man, never an elf.

View: https://twitter.com/RoPTolkien/status/1630701438950154243

View: https://twitter.com/RoPTolkien/status/1662259536827232257

I'll give a shoutout to Alan Lee's depiction of Sauron forging the One Ring.
Going to be an epic scene in season 2, probably set to a version of Where The Shadows Lie.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
Edmond Dantès

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
Alexandria, Egypt

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
They really dragged out Halbrand's reveal imo and made me dislike that version. In his first scene he says looks can be deceiving and his second episode he's looking for a forge, and the rest of the series continues with him leaving blatant hints, like Simon Skinner from Hot Fuzz.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Yes indeed. I'm intrigued as to how they're going visualise him infusing his life force into the One Ring.
I'd think it would be much more than just this detail, but I'm kind of expecting he'll put his blood into it. Which would tie into not the book but the movie The Fellowship of the Ring prologue where Sauron is holding a knife after he presumably forges it. "Only blood can bind."

ff737d5812501727c0f730c8587db330

I also wonder how they'll handle it when - book spoilers ahead - his 2nd age fair form dies when Numenor falls, sinking underwater. Maybe they won't have the Vickers form actually die but be more ruined like Darth Vader, which would still relate somewhat to the writings as I believe his flesh is being described as on fire after Numenor.

Dec 22, 2017
Rings Of Power was the first on screen media that made Sauron interesting for me. Really gave some depth that was accurate to Tolkien too.

Hoping Vickers still plays him particularly for the whole fall of Numenor.
Same here. I absolutely despised how PJ made him a big-strong-bad-guy, and it's still my main hang up with his trilogy.

OP
OP
Edmond Dantès

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
Alexandria, Egypt
I'd think it would be much more than just this detail, but I'm kind of expecting he'll put his blood into it. Which would tie into not the book but the movie The Fellowship of the Ring prologue where Sauron is holding a knife after he presumably forges it. "Only blood can bind."

ff737d5812501727c0f730c8587db330

I also wonder how they'll handle it when - book spoilers ahead - his 2nd age fair form dies when Numenor falls, sinking underwater. Maybe they won't have the Vickers form actually die but be more ruined like Darth Vader, which would still relate somewhat to the writings as I believe his flesh is being described as on fire after Numenor.
That would certainly be an effective way to portray such a pivotal moment in the history of Arda and Middle-earth and considering they've taken inspiration from the aesthetic of PJ's trilogy, it would make sense.

Regarding Numenor and bodily destruction, it wouldn't be far removed from what Tolkien wrote in the Akallabeth. Either way he ends up with a disfigured body and incapable of ever taking fair form again.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
That would certainly be an effective way to portray such a pivotal moment in the history of Arda and Middle-earth and considering they've taken inspiration from the aesthetic of PJ's trilogy, it would make sense.

Regarding Numenor and bodily destruction, it wouldn't be far removed from what Tolkien wrote in the Akallabeth. Either way he ends up with a disfigured body and incapable of ever taking fair form again.
Yes! And Tolkien seemed unclear himself about how it would work if Sauron were to die with the One Ring in Numenor and then be carried off like a spirit in the wind to Mordor while still possessing the One Ring. Or at least that's an answer that doesn't make sense for a lot of people. Maybe in this adaptation, the Ring will be what keeps Sauron (barely) alive and is why - if it wants to continue tying into the films - he dies simply when his finger with the Ring is cut off.

Same here. I absolutely despised how PJ made him a big-strong-bad-guy, and it's still my main hang up with his trilogy.
I also appreciate how they didn't go with the one-note totally angelic looking while obviously evil deceiver image that a lot of people had of him, thanks in part to Shadow of Mordor. As can be seen from Tolkien's words in the OP, he had real (starting out as good) motivations and a penitent phase, and all of that writing (outside of LOTR) was directly carried into RoP.

View: https://twitter.com/RoPTolkien/status/1673177805230579712

Last edited:

Xuxa Fan

Apr 30, 2023
I think the elven design in the Mordor games skews the closest to how I personally pictured Annatar based on Tolkien's writings.

Characterization-wise, it's a little more complicated than that. I didn't really enjoy the Halbrand subplot in Rings of Power because it places way too much blame for Sauron's return to power and the end of the Third Age squarely on Galadriel's shoulders, but at the same time I also don't really consider the Jackson Sauron to even be a character. He's just a suit of armor and a presence, which to be fair, is kind of how he is by the time of the War of the Ring, but it's also not super interesting beyond that.
Funny you say that. My thought of him in the films is even more simpliflied. To me, he functions on the equivalent to the Death Star in the Star Wars movies. I felt that Saruman and the Witch King provided the point of view from the villains to the audience. Sauron felt like he was a force of nature, no more potent than a ferocious storm to contend with because it never felt like he was coordinating things the way that Saruman was and to a lesser extent the Witch King.

Last edited:

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Out of interest, did Tolkien ever go into any sort of detail on what Sauron was like pre-Melkor? I know he was called Mairon and was a talented smith for Aule. But I don't know if any more detail was provided. I wondered if the pride and vanity that fueled most of his continued fall over the Ages was already present there. Obviously to some degree otherwise Melkor wouldn't have had something to prey on to lure his allegiance.

I also really love that someone as vain as Sauron, who appeared in the guises of beautiful or impressive men or elf-like beings, destroyed his own ability to take on fair form in the Fall of Numenor that he orchestrated. As he fell further from motivation to "fix" and reform Middle-Earth and into petty greed and anger, he physically degenerates himself. Tolkien is pretty big on evil deeds and works degrading the culprit over time, mentally and physically.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Funny you say that. My thought of him in the films is even less nuanced. To me, he functions on the equivalent to the Death Star in the Star Wars movies. I felt that Saruman and the Witch King provided the point of view from the villains to the audience. Sauron felt like he was a force of nature, no more potent than a ferocious storm to contend with because it never felt like he was coordinating things the way that Saruman was and to a lesser extent the Witch King.
It's true that they really don't go into any detail whatsoever on Sauron himself, not even what he is. Is he a man? A wizard? Some kind of demon? As it turns out he's an angel, with a very extensive backstory and characterization. But that's glossed over in the film, he's simply "the Dark Lord", the opposing force. And I think that is absolutely fine. The movies are already very long, very detailed, in spite of being compressed and simplified, and knowing more about Sauron isn't really relevant in the story they're telling. He doesn't really need to be more than the ultimate antagonistic being. As you say, Saruman and other characters are given a more direct point of view for the bad guys. That is pretty much the role he serves in the books as well, as all of his once admirable qualities and motivations have long since degraded to nothing and he is only a big ball of greed and rage threatening to engulf the world, that must be stopped.

So I think they made the right decision there, even if some of his depiction is a little overly literal like his Eye looking around like a lighthouse is a bit goofy, but I think the initial depiction of present day him as an abstract force Frodo glimpses when he wears the Ring is terrific however.

OP
OP
Edmond Dantès

Edmond Dantès

It belongs in a museum!
Aug 24, 2022
Alexandria, Egypt
Out of interest, did Tolkien ever go into any sort of detail on what Sauron was like pre-Melkor? I know he was called Mairon and was a talented smith for Aule. But I don't know if any more detail was provided. I wondered if the pride and vanity that fueled most of his continued fall over the Ages was already present there. Obviously to some degree otherwise Melkor wouldn't have had something to prey on to lure his allegiance.

I also really love that someone as vain as Sauron, who appeared in the guises of beautiful or impressive men or elf-like beings, destroyed his own ability to take on fair form in the Fall of Numenor that he orchestrated. As he fell further from motivation to "fix" and reform Middle-Earth and into petty greed and anger, he physically degenerates himself. Tolkien is pretty big on evil deeds and works degrading the culprit over time, mentally and physically.
Tolkien didn't detail Sauron pre-Melkor in narrative form, only in correspondence with his readers.

There is this brief explanation as to what originally lured Mairon to Melkor.

"Sauron had never reached this stage of nihilistic madness. He did not object to the existence of the world, so long as he could do what he liked with it. He still had the relics of positive purposes, that descended from the good of the nature in which he began: it had been his virtue (and therefore also the cause of his fall, and of his relapse) that he loved order and coordination, and disliked all confusion and wasteful friction. (It was the apparent will and power of Melkor to affect his designs quickly and masterfully that had first attracted Sauron to him.)"

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
It seemed that Sauron was always obsessed with creating order, before and after Morgoth got hooks into him. I mean, he even gave his orcs social security numbers to catalogue and organize them. Sure he's known for his grandiose evil, but I wouldn't be shocked to learn that Sauron spent all those centuries in Mordor handcrafting each individual orc.

Sauron is what you get if Roboute Guilliman goes evil.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
(It was the apparent will and power of Melkor to affect his designs quickly and masterfully that had first attracted Sauron to him.)"
This part specifically sounds like how the showrunners have talked about Halbrand's offer to Galadriel - that in episode 8 he believes he can put his plans into effect faster with her at his side. Almost like he is looking for a new Melkor.

Aminga

Oct 27, 2017
Def. ROP, I liked seeing the character actually being a character as opposed to being a giant floating eyeball that eventually just falls down.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
It seemed that Sauron was always obsessed with creating order, before and after Morgoth got hooks into him. I mean, he even gave his orcs social security numbers to catalogue and organize them. Sure he's known for his grandiose evil, but I wouldn't be shocked to learn that Sauron spent all those centuries in Mordor handcrafting each individual orc.

Sauron is what you get if Roboute Guilliman goes evil.
It slightly reminds me of Supernatural the TV series, when Crowley, a demon who eschews the usual grandiosity and melodrama of demons to emphasize practicality and common sense, becomes the new ruler of Hell. He does away with all the realms of torture and torment, and replaces it all with a gigantic queue in a bland empty hallway, where all souls in Hell silently stand in line, with a number, occasionally moving forward. When they eventually reach the front, they just loop back to the start. It's simple, efficient and still a punishment, as he puts it "no one likes waiting in line".

Where Melkor would like to smash things into pieces out of resentful anger, Sauron would like a well oiled machine working without all that chaos and disorder of mortals with free will.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
While visually the movie trilogy made him look cool, so far RoP has done more fleshing out and it can only get better in the next seasons I think, so I go with that version for now.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
They really dragged out Halbrand's reveal imo and made me dislike that version. In his first scene he says looks can be deceiving and his second episode he's looking for a forge, and the rest of the series continues with him leaving blatant hints, like Simon Skinner from Hot Fuzz.
It's only blatant if you are a hardcore lore nerd.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
PJs has got the cool factor. That intro is amazing.

But RoP actually gave Sauron substance and made him infinitely more interesting.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
It's only blatant if you are a hardcore lore nerd.
I'm not hardcore in the lore. He was demonstrating freakish strength in a tavern fight in episode 3 and was really suspicious. From my experience hardcore lore fans were less likely to believe it was Sauron because they believe it'd be lore breaking to call Sauron Halbrand.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not hardcore in the lore. He was demonstrating freakish strength in a tavern fight in episode 3 and was really suspicious. From my experience hardcore lore fans were less likely to believe it was Sauron because they believe it'd be lore breaking to call Sauron Halbrand.
I honestly thought they were setting him up to eventually become the Witch King or some other Ringwraith. Hadn't quite factored in the weird time line compression and that he wasn't approaching the elves with "gifts".

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
It seems to want to be in the same continuity, so it kind of is for all intents and purposes?

New Line has a credit for every episode and gave permission for the balrog. All the actors are obviously cast to look like they're LOTR selves, even Gil-Galad.

Bear McCreary has referred to how Elrond will evolve into PJ cynical Elrond.