Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Ah yes. *sips* The hip-hop mix tape. A timeless tradition raised and honed in the early days by B-boys on the streets of NY that survives today on drill artists' Soundcloud, from the trunk of a car or via Patreon. While the mix tape was usually a way of spreading your music and beginning your career, Jay-Z, Drake, Nicki have put out mix tapes at their peak. It's a tradition, like Christmas, or in music terms it's like when a rock group would put out a double album.

For me, hip-hop was about the only music I listened to from 1998 to the early 2000s, so my favorites will all be from that period. I had friends obsessed with hip-hop to the point they carried around notebooks that they would write down the lyrics in - they wanted to be rappers themselves but they were beaten down by lack of skill and living in a rural town in the middle of no where.
But I loved the mix tapes, with DJs/MCs like Prince Paul and the Beat Junkies putting out genius as fuck mixes that complimented and mixed into each other like a 3 star restaurant.

Rawkus Presents: Soundbombing II

You may have heard a song from this one - the first track on the album was an up and coming rapper from Detroit; some lower class white kid that had just signed with Dre recently. Something, something/something, "I get weeded"/My daughter scribbled over that rhyme/I couldn't read it. Eminem was all over this underground shit, and not just with Skam - in 1999 he was all over everyone's mix tapes. Warning: his song is from the time when his lyrics were incredibly homophobic as well as the "c-word" and not said in the British way.

But this is seriously banger after banger after banger. Eminem's "Any Man" segueways into High and Mighty (with Mos Def and Mad Skills) and then into my favorite track: Pharaoh Monch and Shabaam Sahdeeq's WWIII.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Superrappin - The Album

This is another 1999 album - it could be argued that 1998-2001 was a mini golden age of underground hip-hop, which I think is why I listened to so many. There just WERE so many good ones at the time. This was a sort of good bye in a way to traditional hip-hop. It thrived as a #2 to gangster rap in the late 80s to the mid 90s and guys like Puffy, Jay Z, Missy, etc changed it as it became more commercial in the late 90s. There was always some crossover: Mos Def, High and Mighty, Eminem were all over these albums from different DJs and different labels.

Superrappin is also my favorite (check out vol 2 as well) - it's a much more chill album. I had a girlfriend ask me once for a really chill album, "something to smoke weed to". I passed her a copy of this and apparently she loved it so much that she recently passed the album to her two teenage kids and now THEY'RE listening to it.

It features one of my favorite hip-hop songs of all fucking time: Frontline by El Da Sensei ft. Organized Konfusion, Mike Zoot & F.T. of Street Smartz. Try and listen to this and NOT bob your head.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Wu-Tang Killa Bees - The Swarm

Let's do something a bit more commercial from that same time period. This is one of my favorite Wu-Tang albums, period. This is when Wu-Tang was approaching it's peak, like impossible for me to change the album until it's all done. We used to make mix tapes of this all the damn time, we kind of had to, you'd be listening to this while cleaning the fast food joint you worked at or cooking food at as a line cook and people would always be like "wtf is this? I'll bring a tape if you can tape this for me".

It also features one of the greatest and emotional 2-hit song combos of all time: Remedy's furious Holocaust song "Never Again" and then Wu Syndicate's grieving, but optimistic autobiographical "Where Was Heaven".

- YouTube

- YouTube

OP
OP
Bengraven

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Best of Biggie 1995 Mr Cee

- YouTube

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQjKSB5pmRU

Dj Clue 4,5,6 (although I haven't hear this in 20+ years)

Holy shit, you legit made me remember this after almost 30 years. I heard this album one night and never found out where it came from. This is like seeing a picture you haven't seen in years and suddenly remembering it existed.

This shit was so damn good.

Aug 31, 2019
I have five hiphop mix albums (just the mp3s these days, but there were originally cds) that a friend at uni made me, not long before he disappeared off the face of the earth. Like one day he just wasn't around anymore, he didn't answer his phone and we didn't know his address. In retrospect I don't know why I didn't raise a safety issue with the uni, but the time for that now has long passed.

I listen to them occasionally and think about him. I'd like to think he's out there but I really don't know..

Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, you legit made me remember this after almost 30 years. I heard this album one night and never found out where it came from. This is like seeing a picture you haven't seen in years and suddenly remembering it existed.

This shit was so damn good.

My commute in High School was like an hour plus (the subway and 2 buses) so I had a lot of time to listen to tapes back in the 90s. And if you remember tapes were longer than CDs so the cassettes had extra songs on them. That biggie tape got played front to back every week back in 95/96 till I got a CD player. I remember dudes used to sell them on the train 2/$10 or something like that. So much good music that never got sample clearance or label issues (Looking at you Black STAR)

Oct 28, 2017
OH SHIT.

That AZ S.O.S.A. album that became "9 Lives" and the leaked version of Nas I AM and of course the THE LOST TAPES.

OP
OP
Bengraven

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
My commute in High School was like an hour plus (the subway and 2 buses) so I had a lot of time to listen to tapes back in the 90s. And if you remember tapes were longer than CDs so the cassettes had extra songs on them. That biggie tape got played front to back every week back in 95/96 till I got a CD player. I remember dudes used to sell them on the train 2/$10 or something like that. So much good music that never got sample clearance or label issues (Looking at you Black STAR)

I was born in the wrong place. We used to read the back of XXL and see mix tape ads for groups we never heard of that might be featuring an MC we liked, then wait for the overpriced dickhead at the stereo store to get around to ordering it. ha, me in 2000, when Amazon was selling only books, paying $30 for Doctor Octagon. Or we'd drive an hour away and go to a used CD store and they'd have them for dirt cheap because everyone wanted the big name groups and no one in that South Dakota city ever heard of Funkmaster Flex.

But yeah, I remember you used to make your own "bonus tracks"! You'd fit the entire CD on both sides of the tape and then have all that extra space to throw some extra songs from other albums. Man...we're old. haha.

Also, as for the commute, I used to joke that it took longer to make the mix tape than the walk. I lived like 3 miles with no car from my school, then jobs. So I'd spend 3 hours making a mix tape with mine and my roommate's albums, then it was a 45 min walk to work.

OP
OP
Bengraven

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
A few years ago I started a training class to work at AT&T. There was this super good looking, professional guy, recent college grad, and he handed out a couple mix tapes one day. Dude made it sound like he was just sharing his favorite hip hop group.

Two days before training was over he never showed up. Found out the mix tapes were his, he decided to follow hip-hop full time and like seven years later, he's still putting out bars.

I have five hiphop mix albums (just the mp3s these days, but there were originally cds) that a friend at uni made me, not long before he disappeared off the face of the earth. Like one day he just wasn't around anymore, he didn't answer his phone and we didn't know his address. In retrospect I don't know why I didn't raise a safety issue with the uni, but the time for that now has long passed.

I listen to them occasionally and think about him. I'd like to think he's out there but I really don't know..

Those are rough - I had a very close internet friend who was obsessed with music and spent a few years as a radio DJ even. She would make these genius mix tapes that just worked, flowed great into each other, blending tons of genres. Not hip hop, but it would be like Goldfrapp, some obscure European pop group, then a B-side Bjork, then like MJ's Man in the Mirror.

I had a dozen of these, from tapes to actual CDs eventually.

We met up when she moved just an hour from me and I realized we kind of worked well together, but because of the distance and my cheap ass car and because I was getting over a long term relationship, I kept putting off things until she finally moved back home and I lost contact with her. I found her later and we started to reconnect, shared music, but then got married and disappeared forever.

I ended up copying a few mix tapes to my Dropbox, but it's hard not to listen to them and remember what could have been, probably SHOULD have been. But I still respect her ability.

OH SHIT.

That AZ S.O.S.A. album that became "9 Lives" and the leaked version of Nas I AM and of course the THE LOST TAPES.

Az! Damn, that's a deep cut memory there.

OP
OP
Bengraven

Bengraven