DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Something I've noticed is that crazy anime characters have this certain habit

c6dbc04d012dec7018fc093b1770a7c0.png

maxresdefault.jpg

80957351-added-by-boyddamilkman-at-Anime-Manga-dubbed-.png

So yeah why is this a thing in anime characters?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing it represents an unwell mind like you would hold your arm if your arm was hurt. Probably it was originally done somewhere with that in mind, then it was copied. And then it eventually just became shorthand to easily communicate that. Just guessing though

Oct 29, 2017
It's shorthand. An iconic character did it once, it gained the connotation, and now it is repeated because its an efficient way to convey that emotional state.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Dunno what it comes from specifically or why, now it's just visual shorthand. Like the "Kubrick Stare" kinda thing a lot of insane anime characters do as well. But with wider eyes/fish-eye lens effect added, a lot of the time.

Raticus79

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I was just checking too, think they might actually not have this covered. This one is close:
tvtropes.org

Gotta Get Your Head Together - TV Tropes

The head is where the brain is, and the brain controls all conscious and unconscious functions. So when there's some external, intangible assault on the brain, cranium or ears, it's only natural to seek to protect the head. this is the resulting …

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Some people grab onto their face when they're feeling especially stressed out or emotionally overwhelmed, someone probably made a character do it in a exaggerated way, and the pose became popular and copied.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
Bro, that's the point at which their mind is broken and they go off the deep end.

I also love the trope where you know a character is now evil because their hair is now slicked back; example Aizen from Bleach.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
2240720-seth.png

picard-facepalm.jpg

It's just a TV-tropefied version of a normal reaction. Grabbing/rubbing your head if you're stressed is just common human body language.

Last edited:

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I'm almost certain I've seen this trope in (western) live action but can not for the life of me place it. Hopefully someone else does.

But yeah, I think as others have said, it's just dramatic effect of natural hand motions related to the face. "Holding the crazy in", head splitting apart, signifying a "sickness" inside their head, it also allows for dramatic framing of (usually smiling) mouths and eyes and hair (the other features of a face don't seem as important in visually distinguishing the characteristics anyway).

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
It's a sort of sarcastic attempt to "hide" their Insanity/evil/whatever from being noticed. Like a part of them is thinking "don't look at me", but they're so far gone that the gesture is pointless.

Kinda like how you would cover your mouth if you felt like laughing at something inappropriate.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
They are saying "hello" to the operator and letting them know they have lost it and that now they can kill

Only the finest posters of culture will get this reference

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's a hand sign that represents the five pillars of edginess: misunderstood, no friends, 'tude, wearing dark clothes and disliking popular things. Looking between their fingers as they flash the sign is a desperate plea for help to be freed from the prison of their own making.