jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
You know the one (if you're American. Idk if they did this elsewhere). The teacher would put on the show and have you take notes or answer questions from a worksheet. It had a catchy tune. The intro was a camera zipping through a series of white, cg rooms with animals from around the globe. I think the intro ended with a picture of a dude doing a spread pose and he had like eight limbs (if you've seen the intro for cunk on earth you know what I'm talking about.).

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
Yesss that's the one! That shit was dope!! I wonder if they still play that in schools today. Hell, there are youtubers and tiktok people with similarly informative content.
I'd be surprised, since the videos are from the mid to late 90's so the information may be outdated. It was based on a book series and those are still being made I think.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
maxresdefault.jpg

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
Yesss that's the one! That shit was dope!! I wonder if they still play that in schools today. Hell, there are youtubers and tiktok people with similarly informative content.
I graduated HS in the mid 2010s and some of my teachers from time to time would show education-focused YT videos from Crash Course, Veritasium, etc instead of older stuff from VHS or DVDs like I was used to in elementary school in the 2000s.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
This is definitely after my time. The shit I was shown in school was mostly still 70s era filmstrips and warbly VHS tapes of stuff that still looked like it was from the 70s even in the 90s.

septentrion2

Apr 11, 2023
I suppose I was lucky, I had science teachers that actively taught.

History teachers though...
History teachers just showed Band of Brothers and Ken Burns docs.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Back when I was in the 6th grade in the mid-80's, our teacher would take us to the Library's media room to watch a slide show on the Galápagos Islands and other science stuff.

The way it worked... there were the slides and there was a tape. And whenever there was a beep on the tape, the person handling the slide machine would advance to the next one.

I loved being the one that did that. And I would usually always get to do it. Except this one time. And I was pissed. The machine had a switch that would let you advance through the slides quickly, so unless you tapped the button ever so slightly, you would advanced two or three slides. So without anyone noticing, I flipped the switch.

My poor classmate kept skipping slides And having to go back. And try to get on the correct slide. Till the teacher told me to get back on the machine. I flipped the switch back to normal speed, and there were no more skipped slides.

So young and so evil.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Honestly, my science teachers rarely showed movies or science TV. Sometimes they'd break out a laserdisc for the novelty, but that's it.

When it came to distracting us with film instead of teaching us, nothing beats Music class. We watched Perfect Harmony or Newsies more than we actually learned anything about music. Otherwise, we were allowed to play around with the Macs that they had installed in the room. I remember people surfing Netscape or playing Missile Command.

Looking back, it was kind of a disgrace. Obviously as a student I wanted every opportunity to phone it in, but some of these classes were absolute jokes.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
I went to a broke public school in California during the 90s. Audio visual equipment in my district was a pipe dream back then

amphteamints

Aug 21, 2018
Unfortunately, Milwaukee
My high school Biology teacher was fresh out of college (like seriously he was 23 my junior year for chemistry and 24 for biology, had him twice) and he also played rugby. I don't remember what year it was (i can't remember if chem or bio came first) but he got real fucked up in a weekend tournament and had a cast on one arm, a sling on the other, a broken nose, and a black eye, and was on a bunch of painkillers but the school couldn't find a substitute cause our district was basically out of subs, so they worked out a deal where he came in and let him play all three original Jurassic Park movies for us before we started studying dinosaurs.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
bill bill bill bill bill
Bill Nye the science guy

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
That feeling you get when you turn your brain from pay attention mode to watch TV mode. It was awesome

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I ever watched Eyewitness in school but I did have both the Reptile and the Dinosaur episodes on VHS that I watched a ton as a kid.

I do remember the Voyage of the Mimi though.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Mr Wizard or 321 Contact

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Lbbaker

May 21, 2018
Elementary school was Magic School Bus and Bill Nye. Middle school was all Science Court. Had no idea at the time H. Jon Benjamin was one of the main voices even though I watched Home Movies on Adult Swim lol

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
Not science, but anyone remember the kangaroo math detective? It was called Math Patrol and it was so trippy that I still think about it. It was produced in the late 70s, I was born in 1980 and we watched it through elementary school.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Bill Nye. Had a teacher that had recorded all of them on tape.