Votes: 367 38.9%
  • Baldur's Gate 3

Votes: 577 61.1%

• Total voters

Gunman

Aug 19, 2020
Witcher_3_cover_art.jpg
Baldur%27s_Gate_3_cover_art.jpg

These are the two most critically acclaimed WRPGs of the last decade plus. Which is the better game to you and why?

Lamine

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 28, 2023
Personally, i consider TW3 with the DLCs top 3 games EVER made
so it's that

EccoCid

Mar 7, 2018
London
As story, characters and world I prefer Witcher 3. But gameplay goes to BG3. I found Bg3 world a bit too cartoony and silly and didnt provoke any emotions on me with its story.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Baldurs Gate III is my favorite game with 1000 hours and I got bored of Witcher 3 in 20. Wish it was a more difficult choice for me.

I can't do CDPR, I liked Cyberpunk even less.

ryzz

Oct 23, 2018
Witcher 3 for me. Can't believe it came out nearly 10 years ago, it was ahead of its time.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I got bored and didn't even finish The Witcher 3.

I loved Baldur's Gate 3 so much it's one of my favorite games of all time.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
In BG3 I'd be in a combat encounter waiting through 20 animations of a lot of goblins attacking, and it really tests my patience. I'd rather play TW3.

teed

Aug 25, 2023
They're both amazing and hard to compare. But the thing that came to mind instantly as a separator for me is that, while neither of them have great main story arcs and big bads, TW3's are just boring and unoriginal but BG3's actively hurt my enjoyment of the game from the end of act 2 onwards.

Also BG3 isn't getting DLC.

Edit: Some more points I'll give to TW3 are character writing, Geralt and Ciri's relationship, world design, and quests. Points to BG3 would be combat and not having Gwent.

Last edited:

SunBroDave

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3 is fantastic, but Baldur's Gate 3 is the GOAT because it's the full package more than any other game has ever been the full package. It is incredible in basically every single aspect

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Witcher 3, especially with the DLCs. Baldur's Gate 3 is great overall but the writing and story just doesn't come close to the Witcher.

Last edited:

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
In BG3 I'd be in a combat encounter waiting through 20 animations of a lot of goblins attacking, and it really tests my patience. I'd rather play TW3.

the last stretch of BG3 was unraveling before my eyes, if it's not ridiculous wait times for enemies to even start animation (cpu calcs) it was the plethora of bugs.

a sour bite to end the meal on, but I still loved the game, not as much as the witcher tho 😎

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Both are amazing, but if I were to go through them?

Story? Witcher
Writing? Witcher
Quests? Witcher
Characters? Baldur's Gate
Voice acting? Tie
Music? Tie
Gameplay? Baldur's Gate
Gwent? Witcher

On paper it would look like Witcher 3 for me, but because Baldur's Gate is not that far behind in some categories and Witcher 3 is REALLY far behind in gameplay (My most important category by a country mile), I actually have to give it to Baldur's Gate.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Baldur's Gate 3. I love The Witcher 3, but the amount of time I've put into BG3 is insane.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Yeah, why wouldn't we?
What are you going to call Fable? lmao
I was under the impression Playground Games was in Australia for some reason. But nevermind.

Just think the world vs a country with game labels continues to be weird as hell, but it's not like that's ever going to change.

A game can be a made in Belgium and Poland and we'll consider it the same as games made in France, the U.S. and Canada.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I hope I can try BG3 one day if this competition is so tight, because Witcher 3 was probably the best time I've ever had with a game.

Jan 20, 2022
Very different style games so hard to compare. I think Baldur's Gate excels at player freedom, but the overarching story it tells isn't super interesting. Witcher 3 is a tremendous open-world RPG and really the ultimate realization of the BioWare-style game. for my personal tastes, the presentation and gameplay of The Witcher 3 elevate it. Combined with it's DLC, it might just be the single greatest game I've ever played.

ShiftyCow

Nov 4, 2017
Easily BG3. I don't even think Witcher 3 is a particularly great game. Combat and quest design is godawful.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
TW3 for me for sure .Way better story writing. Story in BG3 is weak and if you have played enough larian games you know it's kinda the same story beats in all of them (however I did like Shadowheart's story/writing)

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
They're too different. This thread is almost just "action vs turn-based". TW3 is more my cup of tea though.

Which is better by my arbitrary "objective" headcanon? BG3 tbh.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I liked Baldur's Gate 3 but was not so enamoured with it as most people. A bit too streamlined in terms of classes and gameplay for a proper CRPG. DnD is also not really my jam.

Witcher 3 isn't really in the same genre but I loved the game more due to its excellent writing and storytelling.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really think they're directly comparable in any substantial way, because their goals are SO different.

I personally enjoyed TW3 more but they both succeed at the specific thing they're trying to do. I just don't think you can match them against each other.

Raigor

Banned
May 14, 2020
I was under the impression Playground Games was in Australia for some reason. But nevermind.

Just think the world vs a country with game labels continues to be weird as hell, but it's not like that's ever going to change.

A game can be a made in Belgium and Poland and we'll consider it the same as games made in France, the U.S. and Canada.

Btw Belgium is much closer to France than it is to Canada and the US 🤣

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
Banned
May 22, 2020
They are completely different games. But I vastly prefer Baldur's Gate 3. I'm much more into real roleplaying, character choices, and that sort of thing than I so the big open world question mark filled map shit.

Stormblessed

Feb 21, 2019
Very different games. Both incredible. BG3 is a much much more involved RPG with better combat, but I liked the story and quests more in Witcher 3. Also prefer the setting of the Witcher as it is more serious.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
TW3 is held back (considerably) by its combat. IMO, it is simply just not fun to fight.

BG3's encounter design is phenomenal and the amount of choice and decision making every single combat instance allows is unrivaled.

Plus one of the most open-ended gameplay toolsets ever, a beautifully realized world, a strong story, and possibly the best NPC companions of all time, and it's BG3.

TW3 is maybe one of the best games of its generation... BG3 has a real argument for being the best game of all time, IMO.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
I tried going back to W3 when the RT update came out, and I just couldn't deal with the janky gameplay

grimmgoose

Oct 4, 2023
I liked Baldur's Gate 3, but my wife and I played it primarily through co-op on PS5, and that was probably the buggiest experience I've had in years. I recognize that co-op isn't "standard", but it definitely put a bad taste in my mouth for the game.

That being said, I gotta give it to the Witcher 3.

Nov 17, 2019

I just want to point out that "western" doesn't really mean "not japan". Generally speaking, when people say western they mean western europe and countries whose culture is heavily influenced by it. So Canada, the Americas, Australia etc. Japan gets a lot of focus because they make a lot of prolific games but games from China or Korea would also not be considered western.