ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
While power-ups like the Mushroom, Fire Flower, and Super Star are pretty much guaranteed to be featured in any 2D or 3D mainline Mario game until the end of time, there are plenty of others that crop up more sparingly across the series. I want to know what power-up from a past Mario game you'd like to see make an overdue return in the next mainline Mario game.

For me it's easy. I've gotta go with one of the all-time great power-ups that only ever appeared in one Mario game:

TsHkjnJ.png

How do we live in a world where something as iconic as the Feather/Cape from Super Mario World never made a second appearance in the series? It's madness!

I know some people criticize it within the context of SMW for how it can break or trivialize some levels, but it was such a fun power-up to play around with. Its overpowered nature could certainly be tweaked so that it wouldn't circumvent level design as readily if factored into the design of a new mainline Mario game. I'd be particularly interested to play around with its ascent/descent-based, physics-driven flight mechanics in a new 3D Mario. And besides, it just looks cool. Mario in that bright yellow cape is probably the definitive image of 2D Mario that many people imagine in their mind's eye, especially if they played SMW at the time of release.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
The Goomba shoe, simply because I wanna hop around like an idiot in a big shoe

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's crazy to me that Frog Suit hasn't returned outside of Mario Maker. I get people don't like using it on land but I feel like there's a lot of unexplored potential. Would love it in a 3D game that made swimming feel like Zora Link from Majora's Mask.

denpanosekai

Oct 28, 2017
The Goomba shoe, simply because I wanna hop around like an idiot in a big shoe

I was gonna say the Kuribo Shoe! (I had a first print of SMB3 growing up and they were still called that, eventually renamed to Goomba's shoe)

We kinda got something similar in 3D World with the Ice Skate.

Bunny Mario from Super Mario Land 2.

Super Mario Land 2 was just magical. Amazing soundtrack. It deserves some kind of Switch re-release. The Super Mario Land 2 DX patch is fantastic.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I just want them to mix it up. Bee Mario should come over to the 2D games for a start, the hover technique could be fun (I know there's already Tanooki, but it fits a slightly different mechanical role that doesn't negate the bee suit) and a ground pound could take out certain harder enemies etc.

I mentioned it in another thread, but 2D Mario's settings are bland and they need to crazy in the next one, bring stuff from SML/SML2 like space and treetops to make it interesting again

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
im on the boot squad as well. everytime i get smb3 i warp my way to that level asap to put on the footwear

i also like the rocket ship from smb2 but i guess odyssey kinda brought that back? Bee suit was fun too.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
Anything they use needs to have a mobility effect. Capes, raccoon tails, and bunny ears are always the highest value power ups because they help with the platforming, and since enemies can always either be avoided or beaten with a stomp, things that enhance your jump or reduce your fall speed are also combat upgrades. Meanwhile, fire flowers have been all but meaningless since the first mario bros., because it doesn't help you move. Even stars give you a higher maximum run speed.

So that said, i always liked the NSMB blue shell. Once you work up to a sprint you tuck inside the shell and become a living projectile that will bowl through enemies and bounce off walls, but that can be dangerously hard to control for finer platforming or vertical traversal.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Kinda off topic, but if you like Mario's cape, give Sonic Mania Plus a try! Ray the Flying Squirrel has similar physics-based flight mechanics.

tumblr_inline_p7rt3yUyvX1rl9q0t_540.gifv

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda off topic, but if you like Mario's cape, give Sonic Mania Plus a try! Ray the Flying Squirrel has similar physics-based flight mechanics.

tumblr_inline_p7rt3yUyvX1rl9q0t_540.gifv
Way ahead of ya.

www.resetera.com

Is Sonic actually the best playable character in the series?

One of the many criticisms leveled at the Sonic franchise as it struggled to find its way after its universally praised original trilogy on Genesis is that most of the characters added post-Knuckles in Sonic 3 either felt gimmicky or out of place, stylistically. Looking at the rogue's gallery of...

He's my favorite playable Sonic character.

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Way ahead of ya.

www.resetera.com

Is Sonic actually the best playable character in the series?

One of the many criticisms leveled at the Sonic franchise as it struggled to find its way after its universally praised original trilogy on Genesis is that most of the characters added post-Knuckles in Sonic 3 either felt gimmicky or out of place, stylistically. Looking at the rogue's gallery of...

He's my favorite playable Sonic character.
Nice!

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Cloud Mario. Really all of the Galaxy 2 powerups were fun and get little love. Which is a shame because Galaxy 2 still remains the best Mario game in the series.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
Agree that its the Cape.

Also sadly have to agree with Nintendo that the thing is a balancing and level design nightmare. But its so much fun and has so much depth.