louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Camelot this decade has been on a revolving door of Mario tennis and gold for diffrent platforms, but after Mario Golf switch there will be no more platforms to develop those tennis and golf games for since the switch successor will be most likely a ways away.

This decade specifically they have done

2010Golden Sun: Dark Dawn Nintendo DS
2012Mario Tennis Open. Nintendo 3DS
2014Mario Golf: World Tour. Nintendo 3ds
2015Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash. Wii U
2017Mario Sports Superstars Nintendo 3DS
2018Mario Tennis Aces. Nintendo switch

A Mario golf title in 2020 coming out the same time Mario tennis did this year seems to be likely

But after that do they revive golden sun, make a sports compilation, an new Mario sports spinoff, a spinoff for a diffrent franchise such as zelda, splatoon or metroid, or a brand new ip?

Or do they skip out on the rest of the switch' s life span and work on Mario tennis: whatever for the switch successor?

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Friggin Gridiron Football. This has been a dream of mine for a long time.

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
I don't think it'll happen, but if they could address that cliffhanger at the end of Golden Sun 3 that'd be great.

More likely, I feel they'll be stuck with a Mario spinoff somehow.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I see it as a waste for them to be making Mario sports games and nothing else. I doubt they are big enough to do anything else at this point.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Please bring back Golden Sun with the money behind it like Xenoblade gets. I want a huge 3D Golden Sun game.

Diddy Kong

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda sad that these guys are just a Mario Sports factory now. Give them some more funds Nintendo.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda sad that these guys are just a Mario Sports factory now. Give them some more funds Nintendo.
This is the problem with Nintendo. They don't spend money. They don't take risks with these smaller devs. Sony does it right. Nintendo should see what the minds of Camelot could come up with in new genres or Golden Sun with more money.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I see it as a waste for them to be making Mario sports games and nothing else. I doubt they are big enough to do anything else at this point.
There are not a lot of good arcade sports games out there so I can't agree that it's a waste for them.

Wish Sega, Midway, etc would also jump in.

Rocket League shows that there is still a big market for arcade sports for the right price.

May 5, 2018
I'd like a Mario Football game (American style). Have Charging Chucks play for a captain character with a few other Mario mooks and it can be fun. Don't know if it'll be on par with Madden, but Camelot can have a crack at making a Mario themed Blitz styles game of anything.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
This is the problem with Nintendo. They don't spend money. They don't take risks with these smaller devs. Sony does it right. Nintendo should see what the minds of Camelot could come up with in new genres or Golden Sun with more money.
Camelot created for Sony the Everybody's Golf series which then Sony passed to Clap Hanz to handle after Camelot defected for Nintendo.
Guess what Clap Hanz developed since its inception? Only Everybody's Golf games and a couple of Everybody's Tennis games.
That's it, literally.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Dawn is still somehow more recent than I felt it was.

Still, dang. Why'd they have to do us so dirty with that game's story?

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
There are not a lot of good arcade sports games out there so I can't agree that it's a waste for them.

Wish Sega, Midway, etc would also jump in.

Rocket League shows that there is still a big market for arcade sports for the right price.

Sure a new sports IP that does something new would be great. Churning out Mario Tennis/Golf games that are slightly different from the last seems like a waste. And certainly for a studio with a long history in various genres, it's silly to have them only work on those.

Camelot created for Sony the Everybody's Golf series which then Sony passed to Clap Hanz to handle after Camelot defected for Nintendo.
Guess what Clap Hanz developed since its inception? Only Everybody's Golf games and a couple of Everybody's Tennis games.
That's it, literally.

Bad comparison. Camelot obviously has/had a much longer and illustrious history in the industry. Regardless in terms of talking about Nintendo overall, they have a multitude of studios that they own or exclusively partner with that have not been built up for larger scale development. It's not surprising that quite a few are/were unprepared for Switch development.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Bad comparison. Camelot obviously has/had a much longer and illustrious history in the industry.
How many small japanese developers with an illustrious history either folded or got absorbed by big publisher? Too much to count.

That's not even taking in consideration how the RPG staff disbanded from Camelot around 2005 which I think is the real reason why the third Golden Sun was released so late in the DS lifespan (killing whatever sales potential it could have had).

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
How many small japanese developers with an illustrious history either folded or got absorbed by big publisher? Too much to count.

That's not even taking in consideration how the RPG staff disbanded from Camelot around 2005 which I think is the real reason why the third Golden Sun was released so late in the DS lifespan (killing whatever sales potential it could have had).

I don't disagree, but that doesn't change the issue with Nintendo. They have a number of Camelot type studios, or smaller, that they have neither bought outright, nor helped to grow sufficiently, yet rely on them for support in lieu of 3rd parties.

tohlew

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious as to how inevitable a new Mario Golf really is. Not that every game Nintendo makes needs to be a million seller, but Mario Golf World Tour didn't get there (while Mario Tennis Open sold 1.5 million), but I have to imagine the workload behind the Mario Golf series is far more than that of the Tennis games. However, World Tour did sell a season pass, which could mean it makes a very healthy profit.

I'd love to see a new Mario Golf, as it's my favourite sports game series (and one of the few games I actually think I'm good at), I just don't know how valuable the series is for Nintendo.

Or maybe I'm a weirdo who is just speculating.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Tennis.

By who? They're independent.

Camelot isn't owned by Nintendo for them to spend money to build them up like that. You don't see Sony doing that for Quantic Dream, Insomniac or companies not owned by them.

Beg for more work

They never owned it, Nintendo does

They do own it along Nintendo in copyright.

Sure a new sports IP that does something new would be great. Churning out Mario Tennis/Golf games that are slightly different from the last seems like a waste. And certainly for a studio with a long history in various genres, it's silly to have them only work on those.

Bad comparison. Camelot obviously has/had a much longer and illustrious history in the industry. Regardless in terms of talking about Nintendo overall, they have a multitude of studios that they own or exclusively partner with that have not been built up for larger scale development. It's not surprising that quite a few are/were unprepared for Switch development.

Nintendo only have Nd Cube, Monolith Soft, 1-Up Studio and Retro Studios as subsidiary studio companies so I wouldn't call it "multiple studios". And all those exclusively partners are third party companies which makes no sense for that to even happen as they're partners because of share of ownership (IS, Hal Laboratory, Gamefreak) or by contract (Camelot, Next Level Games).

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
I don't disagree, but that doesn't change the issue with Nintendo. They have a number of Camelot type studios, or smaller, that they have neither bought outright, nor helped to grow sufficiently, yet rely on them for support in lieu of 3rd parties.
On a closer inspection such small japanese development studios survived due to the Nintendo clout.
Another interesting fact about Nintendo which isn't so common in the industry is that they tend to cross join the rights for new IPs with the original creator while usually the publisher get all the rights for itself since it funded the project.
The reason is that Nintendo deeply believe that a successful franchise is only worthy as long as there is behind it the people that understand and could properly manage it generation after generation.
So there are many game series that people consider Nintendo's which in reality are cross owned with the original creator (Kirby, Fire Emblem, Pokemon are some of the most famous ones).

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mario Tennis.

By who? They're independent.

Camelot isn't owned by Nintendo for them to spend money to build them up like that. You don't see Sony doing that for Quantic Dream, Insomniac or companies not owned by them.

They do own it along Nintendo in copyright.

Nintendo only have Nd Cube, Monolith Soft, 1-Up Studio and Retro Studios as subsidiary studio companies so I wouldn't call it "multiple studios". And all those exclusively partners are third party companies which makes no sense for that to even happen as they're partners because of share of ownership (IS, Hal Laboratory, Gamefreak) or by contract (Camelot, Next Level Games).
How many IP's has Sony funded for these studios they don't own like Insomniac?

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I wouldn't even be mad if they didn't make a Golden Sun. Just make a damn RPG.

Though it's been a decade and a half since the Golden Sun games came out, so it must be practically a different studio by now. Ah well.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait for Mario golf. Love the series and would kill for it on switch

I'd also like to see re releases of Golden Sun games but idk.

Maybe a remastered trilogy or remakes of the originals? I doubt it

IzzyRX