entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Pack in games died mostly with the PS1 era. Sure there were bundles and still are, but pack in games are different. They usually also come in at console launches as well. So bundles, which are still in existence SKU wise are not pack ins!

NES: SMB and Duckhunt
Genesis: Sonic 1
SNES: SMW
Gameboy: Tetris

The NES later got some interesting pack ins, including SMB3. I remember the SNES getting a LTTP packin too.

I loved all my pack in games honestly. I weep for the Altered Beast folks. Sorry 😂

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I once got a game called Crackdown with a Halo 3 beta.

Turned out to be a really fun game. Loved collecting orbs. I can still hear the quiet thrum.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
SMB/Duckhunt for NES and Sonic 1/2 for Genesis. After that I think the only one I ever got was Windwaker with the silver gamecube.

Also the only Zelda game I've ever beaten.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Let's go old school:

618oBGPcNJL.jpg

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
SMB/Duckhunt for NES and Sonic 1/2 for Genesis. After that I think the only one I ever got was Windwaker with the silver gamecube.

Also the only Zelda game I've ever beaten.
I didn't know there was a Sonic 1 and 2 cart sku. Interesting

Gnomepowered

Nov 23, 2018
I got Donkey Kong Country with my SNES, and never actually did end up with a copy of Super Mario World. Wasn't there a Mario All Stars + World cart as a pack in at some point?

super-nintendo-donkey-kong-country-bundle-us-front-1554185425-44.JPG

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Let's go old school:

618oBGPcNJL.jpg

Seeing these always gives me good memories.

Had a friend who had an NES on the "big tv" in the living room but his parents had an old Atari in their finished basement that they never ever used. We'd be down there playing GI Joe since there was a TON of room and when I got bored I'd fire these up. They had like 30 games. They were ballers.

Had all the usuals, SMB, sonic 2, etc.

But....

I also got the GOAT pack-in with my Xbox

art-10486-4--full.jpg

I didn't get this with my Xbox but I had a friend who really wanted me to play JSRF so she found a copy of this for like $3 at GameStop and gave it to me.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Mega Drive: Sonic 1
SNES: Super Mario World & Mario All-Stars (on one cart):
x5fCNLw.jpg

KJ8VNri.jpg

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Not really sure I get the distinction you're making from pack in games and bundles.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
NCAA Football '05 & Crimson Skies with my Xbox for Xmas '04. Brother and I both got one and so despite it snowing that day (which is extremely rare in South Texas), we stayed inside playing all day.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Not really sure I get the distinction you're making from pack in games and bundles.

Not OP but a pack in should have specific system box art created by the platform holder, like in my example three posts up. I disagree with OP that nobody does it anymore, I know nintendo still do this with the switch, though it's mostly with DL codes now (and of course the wii had the most famous pack in game ever lol), not sure about the others.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
My Megadrive came with Sonic.

Got a Packard Bell PC in 1994 which came with a bunch of random stuff including Megarace, The Journeyman Project and Grolier Encyclopedia.

Got this light gun pack with the C64:

s-l500.jpg

Amiga 1200 came with this:

Zool-Software-Pack-4-Top-Titles-BIG-BOX.webp

Oct 27, 2017
This is all the new console purchases. I have plenty of other consoles bought used.

NES: Super Mario Bros 3
Genesis: Altered Beast
SNES: Super Mario World
PSX: Nothing
Xbox: Tetris Worlds and Star Wars Clone Wars Combo Pack
PS4 Slim: Marvel's Spider-Man
2DS: Nothing
New 3DS: Nothing
PS5: Horizon: Forbidden Wilds

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Not OP but a pack in should have specific system box art created by the platform holder, like in my example three posts up. I disagree with OP that nobody does it anymore, I know nintendo still do this with the switch (and of course the wii had the most famous pack in game ever lol), not sure about the others.
They all still do it. My Wii U came with Mario 3D World stuff on the box and the current God of War PS5 bundle has God of War stuff on the box. Xbox did it with Forza and is about to do it with Diablo. Though it's existing art, not new art created for the bundle. Is that the distinction? Seems... arbitrary.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni

Yeah same here....

Like pack in as there are multiple games in one cartridge (usually are illegal catridges that have roms and are playable lol - my cousins had it when they had their NES back in the early 90s) or a bundle like the God of War Ragnarok PS5 bundle????

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

SMB/Duckhunt....felt like magic having 2 games in the same cartridge.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
As far as I know, this is what was packed-in with each console I've bought/received new (that came with a pack-in, most didn't):

Wii - Wii Sports
PS3 - Sports Champions
Xbox 360 - Halo: Reach/Fable III
Wii U - Nintendo Land
Xbox One S - Minecraft
Nintendo 2DS - Mario Kart 7
Xbox Series X - Halo Infinite

kowhite

May 14, 2019
I remember getting my Sega CD and I got:

Sol Feace
4 Genesis game pack
Sherlock Holmes
Some stupid music video CD thing

You know looking back none of that was great, but at the time getting so many games at once with CD audio! was pretty cool. And that 4 pack had some good games I didn't have on Genesis.

Mar 30, 2018
I can't remember if anything came with my XBOX (my first brand new console), but I got The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition with my Gamecube so probably that.

Skunk

Oct 28, 2017
NES: SMB/Duck Hunt
My Genesis and SNES I traded for a preowned system I believe.
Saturn: Virtua Fighter 2/Virtua Cop/Daytona USA
PSX: Demo Disc
Xbox: Sega GT 2002

Don't think anything else came with anything.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
My early childhood gaming was 90% of the time through playing all the games in this pack. People would scoff at some of those Atari ST ports now but I had a great time.

1100016692.jpg

lunch_box

Nov 5, 2017
C64 - light gun pack
Gameboy - Tetris
Amiga - cartoon classics
Megadrive - Altered beast
Snes - sf2

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
SNES: SMW
I had all of these too except Sonic for Genesis. I got my Genny used just to play the Phantasy Star games. The person I bought it from gave me PS and something else I don't remember.

Also I got a TG16 with Keith Courage, fun system but weak compared to everything else posted so far. More recently Astrobot for PS5 and Wii Sports for Wii.

And not sure if it was a pack in or bundle but all of my cousins got MarioKart with a GameCube AND a 2nd controller for $99. I think that was the xmas deal or maybe at one point just the all the time bundle/pack in, but whatever it was it was a legendary sale for that console. These days you barely get a game for $70!

dtcm83

Oct 28, 2017

That's the only console I've ever received or purchased that had a pack-in game. Kicked off my love of the Sonic franchise.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
  1. Got an Xbox with Jet Set Radio Future bundled in (and also Sega GT 2002, but...yeah, mostly JSRF lol)
  2. My first PS3 was the one that came with Metal Gear Solid 4 bundled in. It was an 80(?) GB model, and was one of the last ones to have native PS2 backwards compatibility before later versions did away with it
  3. Bought a special edition white PS Vita with a copy of Assassin's Creed Liberation
I think that's about it. Probably a couple things I'm missing but those are the big ones.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
Sega Mega Drive with Sonic 1. I cannot remember for all the other consoles.

Musubi

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know there was a Sonic 1 and 2 cart sku. Interesting

Wasn't a SKU with both games on it but I did get Sonic 1 & 2 with it. I think SEARS where my mom got it for me had some deal of some sort at the time where it came with both games. So *technically* not a manufacture pack in I guess but It did come with my Genesis.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Master System: Hang-On and Safari
NES: SMB/Duck Hunt
GB: Tetris
Genesis: Altered Beast
Turbografx-16: Keith Courage
SNES: Super Mario World
Sega CD: Sol Feace, that Sega Classics pack, the FMV Sherlock Holmes game
Sega Saturn: Virtua Fighter

Lukar

Oct 27, 2017
  • N64: Pokémon Stadium
  • GameCube: Super Mario Sunshine I think? I vaguely remember it being included but I could be mistaken
  • Nintendo DS: Metroid Prime: Hunters - First Hunt
  • Wii: Wii Sports (duh)

Truckondo

Oct 25, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
NES - Gyromite and Duck Hunt
SNES - Super Mario World
Genesis - Altered Beast
TG-16 - Keith Courage
Sega CD - Sewer Shark
XBOX 360 - 4th console after RROD. Got Kung Fu Panda & Lego Indiana Jones.
XBOX One S - Minecraft
PSVR 1 - Astrobot & Moss
PS5 -Astro's Playroom
PSVR2 - Horizon Call of the Mountain