Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
Everyone is talking about Metroid right now and I've been meaning to get to the series for years but I've got a bit of analysis paralysis in regards to what order I should play it. I generally want to do things in release order but I will slot in remakes if it works well enough. However, I also like to keep in mind both the gameplay evolution of a series and what the recommended start point is.

So, here's my issues based on the research I've done:
- Metroid and Metroid II are a bit too old school, I'd like to play their remakes instead.
- Super Metroid is generally considered the best in the series.
- Zero Mission has references to Super Metroid and gameplay closer to Fusion
- Samus Returns would feel very awkward between any of the older games.
- AM2R isn't great to play before Super either, given it's a fan game and pulls from the popular entries.

So, I've tried to map out the best way to do this and I've come up with two different options.

Option A:
Super
Zero Mission
Fusion
Samus Returns
Dread

This is the "don't concern yourself with the story, just play them based on gameplay evolution" choice. It also has the benefit(?) of starting with the most popular one.

Option B:
Zero Mission
AM2R
Super
Fusion
Dread

This is the "concern yourself with story moreso than gameplay evolution, but use AM2R instead of Samus Returns to keep it at least somewhat consistent" choice.

I am open to any other suggestions, of course, if there's something better than the two I came up with.

Oct 25, 2017
release order
A
These are not story-heavy games, you will be fine.

Metroid? Star Wars? Whatever, release order.

Sax

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I did this last year (and am doing it again now) and I like option B. I'm even playing both AM2R and Samus Returns. I like the jumping around of styles. Going to try Super Metroid Redux for the first time though to spice things up! (vanilla physics of course, though).

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Release order will probably feel the most natural in terms of gameplay. Story wise Super might "spoil" some things from Samus Returns, and Zero Mission, but it's not a huge deal. This aren't story heavy games.

OP
OP
Ashes of Dreams

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
It's complicated though because "release order but starting with the third one" hurts me enough that slotting the remakes in might feel more appropriately closer to release order for me.

But I take it those who say A feel that the changes and additions to all the remakes make a big enough impact that they have to be after Super? I won't be missing out on any moments in Super meant to play off of the first two?

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
My suggested order is:

Zero Mission (GBA)
Samus Returns (3DS, REALLY hard to go back to this one after Dread) OR AM2R (PC, fan remake using more modern mechanics)
Super Metroid (SNES, stiffer than the GBA games, but by no means mechanically obsolete)
Fusion (GBA)
Other M (Wii, if you REALLY must)
Dread (Switch)

While it's true that compared to Zero Mission and Fusion, Super can feel a bit stiff, clunky, and 1994, it has aged pretty well, all things considered. And it remains an all-time classic.
Samus Returns before Dread is an absolute must. Dread evolves the Samus Returns formula SO MUCH, that Samus Returns is basically rendered obsolete. IMO, it'd be really damn tough to go back to MercurySteam's first attempt after trying out their glorious latest entry. AM2R is a suitable substitute over Samus Returns, even if I actually prefer the 3DS game. SR tries to do a bunch of new things (but fumbles the execution in a few ways), and is basically a beta test for the mechanics they'd essentially perfect in Dread. AM2R, on the other hand, plays things very, very safe and may either feel a bit stale after the other official 2D games, or render them a bit stale if you play them after AM2R. YMMV.

Either way, franchise fatigue is going to be a big risk depending on your personal tastes and tolerances.

THAT said, if you really want to follow the mechanical progression first and foremost, it's pretty safe to say that for most 2D Metroid games, story really takes a back seat.
Fusion is the game that really started to push a serious in-game narrative, Other M double-downed on it in all of the worst ways. Atrocious writing.
Dread picks up where Fusion left off, is largely less heavy-handed in its narrative approaches, but contains amazing payoffs for long-time franchise fans.

The Prime trilogy also went all-in on story, but nothing about them really impacts the mainline 2D series in any way. Almost completely self-contained.

celigio

Oct 27, 2017
Monteranch
It's complicated though because "release order but starting with the third one" hurts me enough that slotting the remakes in might feel more appropriately closer to release order for me.

But I take it those who say A feel that the changes and additions to all the remakes make a big enough impact that they have to be after Super? I won't be missing out on any moments in Super meant to play off of the first two?

You could do the original Metroid and play it with a guide since Super is pretty much a reimagination of that game and get it done quickly

So it would be: Metroid NES -> Super -> Fusion -> Zero Mission -> Samus Returns -> Dread

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
You should play it in release order, but if you are gonna go and do it in story order, dont play AMR2, you should play Samus Returns, becuase AMR2 doesnt add the story bit important for the rest of the series and integrating prime finally as a real side story in between 1 and 2. That an read the zero mission manga, and a summary of Other M.

But again, if you are concerned about gameplay, play the game in release order.

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
I like your Option B, there's a good continuity to it.

One thing I'd suggest, the change in controls from Zero Mission to Super Metroid will feel like a step-down - if you are comfortable downloading an IPS file and applying a rom patch, you can fix this. There are many fan control schemes that bring SM up to the standard of subsequent games.

Not that Super Metroid is particularly difficult to control, its just a step down from Zero Mission.

Also, I know you mentioned 2D, but Metroid Prime is an outstanding masterpiece of a game, and if you are really interested in exploring the series, it shouldn't ever be missed.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Super is great but later games refined the play control. It's a proper place to start, and playing in release order works well because you get to actually feel how the games have changed over time.

Plus, Super is especially iconic. It's a solid intro to the series because it right away establishes the Metroid identity. You can always go back to NES Metroid for kicks when you complete Zero Mission.

Ultimate Bear Cub

Makes illegal "tacos"
Mar 30, 2019
I've played them all except the original NES one and AM2R. Go with release order if in doubt, but don't worry too much about it if acquiring the game you want is difficult. Just play whichever and you're golden.

NES, Return of Samus are optional. Oh wait, they aren't on the menu lol nm.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Release order starting with Super:

1. Super Metroid
2. Fusion
3. Zero Mission
4. Samus Returns
5. Dread

Start with a bang with Super Metroid. Super has a prologue that gives you ALL of the story you need. Seriously, all of it. The first two Metroids were light on narrative.

Fusion is a direct sequel to Super.

Zero Mission and Samus Returns are remakes that are best enjoyed as prequel flashbacks.

Finish with a bang and play Dread.

OR JUST
1. Super
2. Fusion
3. Dread

OR
1. Super
2. Dread

OR
1. Dread
2. Super

Whatever you do, play Dread and Super

This will make Super feel kind of clunky imo.

Samus Returns, a 30fps 3DS game that relies on the circle pad to move and shoot, will not make Super feel kind of clunky, I promise you.

Last edited:

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Release order starting with Super:

1. Super Metroid
2. Fusion
3. Zero Mission
4. Samus Returns
5. Dread

Start with a bang with Super Metroid. Super has a prologue that gives you ALL of the story you need. Seriously, all of it. The first two Metroids were light on narrative.

Fusion is a direct sequel to Super.

Zero Mission and Samus Returns are remakes that are best enjoyed as prequel flashbacks.

Finish with a bang and play Dread.

OR JUST
1. Super
2. Fusion
3. Dread

OR
1. Super
2. Dread

OR
1. Dread
2. Super

Whatever you do, play Dread and Super

Samus Returns, a 30fps 3DS game that relies on the circle pad to move and shoot, will not make Super feel kind of clunky, I promise you.
Losing the ledge grab and counter once you have gotten used to them would surely feel clunky to me.

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Option A.

This will make your playthrough more enjoyable as you won't be going back to more rudimentary entries in the franchise after getting a taste for mobility and QOL features. Metroid lore is really only for nerds anyways. The stories in these games could fit in a 5 page comic book, and any connective tissue between them is minimal.

Besides, going from Samus Returns to Dread is quite the experience.

Limless

Jan 7, 2021
Option G special mix:
Metroid 1 NES
Dread
Zero Mission
Samus Returns
Metroid 2 (On original Gameboy hardware)
AM2R
Fusion
Super

There is a reasoning behind this play order but I wont explain what it is...

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
Don't meant to hijack topic but do y'all recommend Super Metroid with modhack gba physics/controls or just play the OG on SNES online?

OP
OP
Ashes of Dreams

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
Appreciating the input.

In regards to "story" though, there's more to that than just narrative with cutscenes. One of the things I'm worried about starting with Super is if there's anything in the game, be it scenarios, enemies, bosses, situations, references, etc. that are designed to be experienced by people who played the first two and if the remakes of the first two would fill those gaps. My understanding is that there is stuff like that, so the paralysis comes from valuing either that experience or the proper gameplay evolution.

I get this isn't a concern for some people but it is for me. lol

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Zero Mission
AM2R
Super
Fusion
Dread

Don't waste time on chaff or on weirdly out-of-place mechanics (like counters) if you can help it. Story doesn't matter.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Don't meant to hijack topic but do y'all recommend Super Metroid with modhack gba physics/controls or just play the OG on SNES online?

Play the OG. Super Metroid has a learning curve. The jumps are floaty and wall-jumping is not intuitive, so it feels a little weird. The controls are also complicated. It makes use of every button on the SNES pad.

Despite this, Super Metroid controls excellently. There is a reason the game has been religiously speedrun for decades. The mechanics are deep and reward you taking the time to learn them. Samus has movement in Super Metroid that she simply doesn't in subsequent Metroid games (which are swifter and feel great, but place more restrictions on her air mobility).

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Honestly? Doesn't really matter. You should start with whichever entry you think you will enjoy starting with. I will say that it would be really hard to play Dread and then later play Samus Returns, which is a much more sluggish and unrefined game (and the 30 fps really hurts once the pace picks up). I personally played Zero Mission, then Samus Returns, then Dread. There's obvious story stuff I missed, but Dread gets you up to speed with the relevant bits of those stories.

So there is a story there, and there is continuity. That said, it's not that important to your enjoyment of the games. Dread is by far the best feeling Metroid game (hell it's one of the best feeling games I've played in general), so for that reason alone it's a great starting point.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
zero mission
samus returns
super metroid
fusion
dread

the games all feel fine to play. you'll get used to them all after a while and it'll be fine. you'll get more out of it if you build to dread this way though.

Mar 8, 2018
I would advocate for what I call the Remake Release Order. Basically you skip OG Metroid 1 and 2, start with Super, and play through in release order from there.

Super -> Fusion -> Zero Mission -> Samus Returns -> Dread

This gives you the cleanest progression of mechanical and structural ideas, and visual language, as you move through the series. The story is so minimal in the pre-Dread entries that there's no point in a newcomer playing in story order. The series-long arc is essentially incomprehensible without some knowledge of external materials anyway. Better to play in the order of gameplay and visual progression instead.

KeyChainDude

Oct 28, 2017
Option B IMO, there's not exactly a huge plot in each game but this would be the right sequence story-wise.

Gameplay-wise I don't think they are that much different from one another, playing Zero Mission or Super would already give you a good idea for how Classic Metroid felt. If you don't care about the plot you could just skip straight ahead to Dread, which is by far the best one regarding QoL improvements.

Jan 11, 2018
Everyone is talking about Metroid right now and I've been meaning to get to the series for years but I've got a bit of analysis paralysis in regards to what order I should play it. I generally want to do things in release order but I will slot in remakes if it works well enough. However, I also like to keep in mind both the gameplay evolution of a series and what the recommended start point is.

So, here's my issues based on the research I've done:
- Metroid and Metroid II are a bit too old school, I'd like to play their remakes instead.
- Super Metroid is generally considered the best in the series.
- Zero Mission has references to Super Metroid and gameplay closer to Fusion
- Samus Returns would feel very awkward between any of the older games.
- AM2R isn't great to play before Super either, given it's a fan game and pulls from the popular entries.

So, I've tried to map out the best way to do this and I've come up with two different options.

Option A:
Super
Zero Mission
Fusion
Samus Returns
Dread

This is the "don't concern yourself with the story, just play them based on gameplay evolution" choice. It also has the benefit(?) of starting with the most popular one.

Option B:
Zero Mission
AM2R
Super
Fusion
Dread

This is the "concern yourself with story moreso than gameplay evolution, but use AM2R instead of Samus Returns to keep it at least somewhat consistent" choice.

I am open to any other suggestions, of course, if there's something better than the two I came up with.

Release order:

Super
Fusion
Zero Mission
Samus Returns
Dread

If you are still wanting more, then play the others (Metroid, Metroid 2, Other M, and AM2R). Order won't matter at that point.

If you are then also considering the Prime games, play them numerical order and don't worry about the spinoff (Hunters, Pinball, and Federation Force)

Jan 9, 2018
If you are skipping NES and GB games, then start with Super, I think all games that came after control better so Super should be your starting point,

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Option B.
  1. Zero Mission
  2. AM2R
  3. Super Metroid
  4. Fusion
  5. Dread
That's the most interesting order to me. If you don't want to play the original Metroid 1 & 2 (which is 100% understandable), then I don't think any of these games are mechanically different enough to concern yourself too much with release order gameplay progression.

Don't burn yourself out though. All the 2D Metroid games are pretty similar. It's not nearly as bad as, say, playing all the New Super Mario Bros. games back to back, but you'll be repeating the same beats a lot.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
As with everything in media, release order is by far the best way to experience a thing. Movies, games, books, I can give examples for all three.

However, for replays I go nuts, skip around, story order, 1/2 of one then another game/movie then back (something akin to experiencing Star Wars in 1, 2, rogue One, 4, 5, Solo, 3, 6, Mando, 7, 8, 9)

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Whats cool about super is that you return to what you did in 1 and mixes it up a bit and option A misses that so go for B

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
I love Metroid, but I've never understood the reverence for the lore. The stories are practically non existent, especially in the 2d games. Prime series have the most story, but even then it is dark souls style with most of it through scans and data logs, with little actual exposition.

Conclusion: any order you please. I'd reccomemd release order so gameplay mechanics dont feel like they're backtracking (budump-tsshhhh). But, what do I know, the first 2d metroid I ever played was Returns on the 3ds. I loved it so much I just had to play the others, and ended up going backwards just out of chance as I got the games, fusion, then zero mission (both on an actual gba sp), and finally super metroid on a snes mini. And every game was awesome.

Banshee

Oct 27, 2017
Missouri
I like option B. I think I got into the series a handful of years back by starting with Super, and that drew me in, but nowadays when I replay the games, it's pretty much with option B. I never found Super clunky to go back to, either.