Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Clarification to the question: One could argue every Nintendo gen (console or handheld) had an iconic new IP that is popular and well liked to this day (even splatoon for a non succesful platform), so what new Nintendo IP will be the one Switch is remembered for?

You can answer from the perspective of what you think will be popular long term and get a lot of sequels, or what you have liked most yourself though not necessarily falling in that category.

Will it really be Ring Fit Adventure?

My prediction is also the Switch successor will get more successful new IP from Nintendo than the Switch, since it seems Nintendo wants to focus more on new IP in the future compared to their current standards.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Probably Ring Fit Adventure, yeah. You could make an argument for ARMS since Nintendo deemed it a success (hence Min Min in Smash) & was one of the first new IPs from Nintendo EPD on the Switch, but that's in the same >= 2 million sales bracket as Xenoblade & Pikmin (pending Pikmin 4's sales numbers). Astral Chain is another successful Switch-era IP, though that's somewhere in the 1 million range last we heard.

Last edited:

CK Spider

Jan 24, 2023
Brazil
The thing is, when you establish a new IP, you make sequels. The more you make sequels, less you make new IPs. Nintendo has a LOT of evergreen IPs, so it's only natural there's less new IPs each generation.

That said, I know it's not a new IP, but Pokémon Legends has everything to be a new subseries and is the standout of the console for me in terms of new ideas.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The thing is, when you establish a new IP, you make sequels. The more you make sequels, less you make new IPs. Nintendo has a LOT of evergreen IPs, so it's only natural there's less new IPs each generation.

That said, I know it's not a new IP, but Pokémon Legends has everything to be a new subseries and is the standout of the console for me in terms of new ideas.
ARMS & Ring Fit's respective teams had other projects (Mario Kart & Switch Sports respectively).

Order of Out

Jan 31, 2022
Clarification to the question: One could argue every Nintendo gen (console or handheld) had an iconic new IP that are popular and well liked to this day (even splatoon for a non succesful platform), so what new Nintendo IP will be the one Switch is remembered for?

You can answer from the perspective of what you think will be popular long term and get a lot of sequels, or what you have liked most yourself though not necessarily falling in that category.

Will it really be Ring Fit Adventure?

My prediction is also the Switch successor will get more successful new IP from Nintendo than the Switch, since it seems Nintendo wants to focus more on new IP in the future compared to their current standards.

There isn't a "Wii Sports" for Switch, but I don't see RFA being the 'one'. I think Zelda and WiiU ports are the answer, so none. No new franchise has the legs.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
A cop out answer but I think it will be known for the Nu sandbox, craft type of Zelda. There's three games set in the BOTW universe.

noffles

Nov 10, 2017
the new ip game this generation was weak from nintendo

this console will forever be incorrectly remembered for being the only console breath of the wild was on

Abrasion Test

Oct 27, 2017
None of the new stuff. It'll be the gen where every major Nintendo IP got a massive uplift from the sales of the Switch, especially Zelda and Animal Crossing (the latter exploding into true blockbuster status).

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
A cop out answer but I think it will be known for the Nu sandbox, craft type of Zelda. There's three games set in the BOTW universe.

None of the new IPs lol. The defining game was definitely BotW.

I actually think this is the answer. BotW redefined Zelda, which made the series more popular than it had ever been.
Yes but to the point of the thread, I am limitting the discussion to new Nintendo IP and not the games switch will be remembered for in general.

If that were the case, it would have been Zelda, Smash, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Splatoon and Mario no question.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly none. Ringfit maybe, but for now it's a one shot and not a new series like Splatoon.

It's the biggest problem of the platform, which has otherwise some of the best games in their respective series. It doesn't seem to be a big deal for people though. Only the internet is like "oh no, these games are great but I need new IPs".

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
None.

The Switch will be remembered for Breath of the Wild (and Tears of the Kingdom) while massively upping the sales of established Nintendo IP like Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and Zelda.

Hopefully Switch 2 brings in new IP that's very successful and interesting.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
In a just world it would be Astral Chain.

Ailanthium

Shinra Employee
Oct 27, 2017
None. Ring Fit Adventure is popular enough to have another entry, I'm sure, but "iconic?" Consider me skeptical.

Splatoon is obviously from the Wii U, but I do think the Switch is what pushed the game into the kind of game that can be considered a major franchise, and considering how much of a disaster the Wii U was, I think their major push on the Switch really made a difference. Funnily enough, I feel like Metroid's recent successes have also revitalized that IP.

Oct 27, 2017
In a just world it would be Astral Chain.
Agreed

Although tbh i REALLY think the internet overemphaises the importance of new IPs. Plenty of gaming sequels are great and can provide fresh experiences.
Like GOW 2018 is really really different from the OG trilogy and its a sequel still. I also dont think the general gaming populace really cares that much

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
None. Ring Fit Adventure is popular enough to have another entry, I'm sure, but "iconic?" Consider me skeptical.
Ring Fit Adventure will for sure get a playable character in the next Smash game, so it has that going for it.

Yep, it can be done. It's just that it'll be harder each gen unless Nintendo expands.
Splatoon & Animal Crossing are already starting to feel the effects of this since they're both made under the same EPD division with a decent amount of staff overlap.

OP
OP
Marano

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Ring Fit Adventure will for sure get a playable character in the next Smash game, so it has that going for it.

Splatoon & Animal Crossing are already starting to feel the effects of this since they're both made under the same EPD division with a decent amount of staff overlap.
So, with those 2 I think Nintendo will definitely expand for them to be separate teams, considering how successful they both are this gen.

Either way, Nintendo will bring more new IP on the Switch successor compared to the Switch, that much I am sure.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
it doesn't count, but i'd say splatoon in the sense that most players probably never played it on wii u

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Zelda.

It's basically a new IP for all intents and purposes. Rebooted story, completely difficult gameplay, and it's most people's first Zelda game.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
the new ip game this generation was weak from nintendo

this console will forever be incorrectly remembered for being the only console breath of the wild was on
lol many companies would love to have something like RFA, also arms did better than most fighting games

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
from sales perspective alone, Ring Fit Adventure.

from uniqueness, i'd give it to ARMS. there's nothing quite like it around. wish it had made a bigger splash though.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
they're not "new" IPs, but given how mk8, AC:NH, and botw turned out to be absolute monsters on a scale that none of their prior entries could compete with, maybe they can be "honorary new IPs"

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
1-2 Switch. Nintendo favourite company, Maxshaft force most consumers in Asia that preorder the Switch to buy that game and threatened to cancel preorders.

Alolan Rai

Jan 11, 2022
I think BOTW is closest, but really as someone said above the switch was about franchises breaking records.

Animal Crossing
Mario Kart
Smash Bros
Zelda
3D Mario
Fire Emblem
Xenoblade
Splatoon
Pikmin
Kirby
Luigi's Mansion
Metroid
Mario Party

All broke franchise records

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
As far as new IP go, I think Ring Fit, ARMS and Astral Chain are all going to eventually receive sequels and become established series, although Ring Fit is likely going to be the most iconic one. Pokemon Legends too, if you consider it a new sub-series rather than part of the mainline franchise.

1-2 Switch, Mario + Rabbids and Octopath Traveller are all new franchises born on the Switch that already have had a second entry (even if the first one is kind of infamous in certain places online, and the other two come from 3rd parties).

That's besides the point that others have said: the Switch is going to be remembered most by the boost it gave to existing IP, with so many breaking prior all time sales records.

MrMattatee

Oct 27, 2017
Texas (aka, the upside down)
For a lot of switch owners, BOTW was their first foray into Zelda, ACNH for animal crossing, Mario Kart 8 for MK (true for the kiddos).
Animal Crossing New Horizons will be notorious for it's place in our global history.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
As far as new IP go, I think Ring Fit, ARMS and Astral Chain are all going to eventually receive sequels and become established series, although Ring Fit is likely going to be the most iconic one. Pokemon Legends too, if you consider it a new sub-series rather than part of the mainline franchise.
While I generally agree, some may take longer than others. Switch Sports being done means more staff can be allocated to Ring Fit 2, whereas ARMS 2 will have to wait on Mario Kart 10. I'm not sure what the staff overlap is for Bayonetta & Astral Chain, so I can't make an educated guess for that.

Great Martinez Jr.

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 2, 2021
Mexico
While I generally agree, some may take longer than others. Switch Sports being done means more staff can be allocated to Ring Fit 2, whereas ARMS 2 will have to wait on Mario Kart 10. I'm not sure what the staff overlap is for Bayonetta & Astral Chain, so I can't make an educated guess for that.

Nintendo really NEEDS to expand, doesn't it?

Oct 27, 2017
United States
In my eyes, it seemed like there was a dearth of new franchises on the Switch. There was not a release like Super Mario Bros., Halo, or Wii Sports whose title would eventually become affixed to the console name. Rather, I think the platform will be fondly remembered for the number of times it was at the center of an arguably widespread phenomenon.

The unpredictable timing of Animal Crossing and a global pandemic is the instance I will always immediately recall. Despite taking place three years after the Switch's initial launch, the system became difficult to find again. The level of fervor for that experience lead availability to rival that of the PlayStation 2 in 2000 or Wii in 2006. The sales of New Horizons greatly eclipsed those of any previous game in the Animal Crossing series, and it really showed with how many new and returning players engaged with the flourishing online communities.

Breath of the Wild and Tears of the Kingdom also shared a heightened level of excitement that only comes around every once in a blue moon. Breath of the Wild marked the return of the launch day killer app, even if it was also available on the Wii U. Nintendo successfully captured the attention of millions on multiple occasions throughout this generation, a feat that other companies just dream of accomplishing even once during that window.

Apr 20, 2022
Like others said Ring Fit Adventure but for sales rather than as a game series. Who knows If ring fit will become a new franchise or just a step in the fitness category like Wii fit was.

Otherwise rather than new IPs switch will be remembered for having the most successful and possibly best iterations of their franchises to date. MK8 is unstoppable, Smash Ultimate is the most beloved since Melee, Mario Odyssey is up their with galaxy and 64, Animal Crossing became a phenomenon and of course Zelda went nuclear in critical acclaim and sales twice.