dharmapolice

Oct 25, 2017
For me, it's gotta be Ni No Kuni 2. I loved the original a lot so I was confident the game would scratch and itch for me, but 10 hours in I realized the game was wasting my time in an interlocking set of annoying ways. The story was extremely flat and had no interest in developing characters, battles were so simple I felt like I was cutting butter with a lightsaber.

What game do you most regret paying full price or even deluxe edition for on DAY ONE ?

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2

I even have the collectors edition of that shit. That art book mocks me to this day.

No Man's Sky is up there, too. The game was just not in a great state at launch. However, unlike Xenoblade Chronicles 2, they fixed No Man's Sky

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mario Tennis on the Switch, off the top of my head. It took like 15 minutes for me to realize that I basically paid for the demo

demu

AVALANCHE
Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I came into this thread thinking that I don't have a Day One purchase regret. But yeah, it's Ni No Kuni II. lmao

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Day 1? Hm...Gears of War 2 was a letdown for me. That stands out so vividly.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Viva Pinata, bought it when a friend recommended it.

One of the worst games ever.

Wyatt+

Jan 15, 2020
Sonic and the Secret Rings. I didn't even have high standards as a Sonic fan. I loved Shadow the Hedgehog. But man, I just did not like that game.

Runner-up goes to Mafia III.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Paper Mario: Sticker Star.
One and done.

I had the 3D trailer downloaded, was following the build-up as close as I could back in those days, then I got the game and jumped in. I hated it right away, it looked great (for an early 3DS game) but the battles were absolutely horrifyingly bad and the story may as well not have existed it was so paper-thin. Absolute rubbish.

Super Mario Party is a close second. I played a round on each board and got bored out of my brains with them. Then tried to play with my SO and she was bored by turn 4, even though we've loved MP4 & 5 together.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
pre-ordered andromeda and ffxv in a short space of time. an one-two punch i will never recover from

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
71u0Q6w7GPL._SL1000_.jpg

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Mount and Blade II Bannerlord

Great game, but I have Steam family sharing on.

My brother-in-law has hit 120 hours since it came out.

He has a wife and kid.

Please, if you're reading this, come back to reality . . .

JK, of course. I don't buy a ton of games day one so it is tough to say. Maybe Mario Maker 2? It's a great game, but I just don't have interest in pouring in the time to make stuff myself and I don't really feel like sifting through all the user made levels to find stuff I actually like. I'd much prefer levels designed by the developers at Nintendo.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
There's a fair few, but Dragon Age 2 might be the most visceral downer for me. The ridiculous mage animations from the very first bit of combat instantly keyed me into knowing I wouldn't like what came next :(

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2. I let the hype get to me and bought it off the PS store for the full (ridiculous) £60 after work day one.
I wish I liked the damn thing it's gorgeous and intricately detailed but it plays like shit and every aspect of the game design frustrated me. It was like picking up a second job to do when I got home.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2. I let the hype get to me and bought it off the PS store for the full (ridiculous) £60 after work day one.
I wish I liked the damn thing it's gorgeous and intricately detailed but it plays like shit and every aspect of the game design frustrated me. It was like picking up a second job to do when I got home.

Words right out my mouth.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia
Final Fantasy XV, I could have bought so many other great games that day and went home with that one.

Dragon Marked for Death, the game isn't bad by any means but I was looking for something to fill my need of another Dragon's Crown, unfortunately it isn't.

ronabs

Mar 15, 2018
Red Dead Redemption 2.

Loved the first one, but dropped RDR2 at the start of chapter three and I don't feel like going back to it anytime soon.

Feb 15, 2019
Mafia 3. I was really excited for more Mafia so I bought it and while I liked the story ( from what little I've played obviously), the mission structure was very disappointing and just killed any desire for me to finish the game. Also I vaguely remember some performance issues ( on PC at least ) as well.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Panzer Dragoon Remake on Switch... The game feels very outdated... also the game felt off technically speaking. movement, hitboxes, and framerate were all over the place.

nss

Apr 10, 2018
Ni No Kuni 2
- what a gigantic bummer and absolute bore compared to the first, also didn't realize how much Drippy just propelled me in the first game

LA Noire
- another chore and bore

Call of Duty Ghosts
- wanted games at launch for my new PS4, but boy I should have just skipped that one

There are probably a lot more that I've suppressed my memories of

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Must be Driver 76 on PSP, why the hell did I bought that shit is beyond me. I ran out of money for the rest of that month and felt like dumb

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
PacMan2600box.jpg

Anticipation vs. Day One Regret: Pac-Man 2600 takes the cake.

Game is retro-cool now, but back in 1982?

Broke my gd heart.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
There are some day ones where I managed to trade them in for equal or more value so won't count them(RDR2 etc)

Then there are absolutely games I pre-ordered and did not end up playing. The most notable one is MWO, was so excited but the gameplay was incredibly boring so much so it bled into Mechwarrior 5 which was my most recent disappointment even though I only paid $1 to play it. I also paid full price for Elite: Dangerous and did not end up playing as much as I would like.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Thinking of this console generation? (i can't remembered pass ones), I'll say Fallout 4. It wasn't a bad game overall, just nowhere near the game Fallout 3 and Vegas were. Also, great idea in giving you the power armor so early in the game.