Dec 2, 2017
I've been replaying shadow the hedgehog this week, and I forgot you needed to play through this game 10 times to achieve the last story. It don't help the game is a very dull collectathon either. Either way, padding in the worst possible way.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
FFVIIR
this is how it feels to me
2020-04-15.jpg

edit: I really like FFVII R for what it is peeps... no disrespect... It just feels like square put 160% when they could have done 115% and no one would have complained.

if we're talking about just general filler... I've felt the xenoblade games hava a lot of fluff in the sidequests... and also FFXV... I feel like it's a modern game problem

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
It would be an exaggeration to bring up stuff in Final Fantasy 7 Remake, but it's fresh on my mind. It's not the worst though....

Would Bravely Default count? It's at least part of the plot, so I don't know.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking .Hack. Probably a 25 hour RPG stretched out to 4 games with each being around 25 hours. And all four have MAYYYBE 5 hours of actual main story content.

And I still loved them anyway.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I've been replaying shadow the hedgehog this week, and I forgot you needed to play through this game 10 times to achieve the last story. It don't help the game is a very dull collectathon either. Either way, padding in the worst possible way.
LOL Wow. Although the 2000s was also the time of FF10-2. Not necessarily padding, but the conditions to get the real ending were just absurd!

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Bravely Default, but it's not as bad as people make it out to be

Most the boss refights are 100% optional

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most egregious offenders:
1) Guarma section of RDR2. Ranch hand busy work at the start of Epilogue One in RDR2. Both dreadful episodes that made me want to drop the game.
2) Walking sections and Nate As A Child sections of Uncharted 4. Absolutely fucking awful and not what I signed up for.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
FFXIV, fun game but all those padding fetch quests to make the MSQ longer.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FFVIIR
2020-04-15.jpg

if we're talking about just general filler... I've felt the xenoblade games hava a lot of fluff in the sidequests... and also FFXV... I feel like it's a modern game problem

Xenoblade games are awesome, outside X for obvious reasons. But most of the side stuff is optional, they're all killer no filler in terms of main story.

FFXV just isn't complete, if anything the game needs padding lol

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
I love P5 but P5.

GoW 2018, could've used a tad less filler.

Mario Odyssey is fantastic, but a lot of it was filler that felt fun to play. It could've used more variety as a collectathon.

Exist 2 Inspire

Powered by Friendship™
Apr 19, 2018
Germany
Can't really think of any. Since i usually like 95% of the games i play, padding just means more of the game i like to play for me lol.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, the Final Fantasy VII Remake, it's 60% relevant stuff and then 40% filler, you could cut entire chapters and lose very little.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like the entire game design behind rogue lites is to pad a 3 hour game into something much longer. Grinding: the game.

Children of Morta is one of the few to get it right.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword's ridiculous latter 3rd and Bravely Default's second half come to mind.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Hate to say it, but there is a lot of completely needless padding of quests in the Witcher 3, that feel put in there just for the sake of being long. The thing that sticks out in my mind is when you finally

find Ciri in the island, you have to first find like 5 dwarves on the island or something for no reason. It never comes up again and has no bearing on the plot. Plus it really kills the moment of finding Ciri.

Oct 25, 2017
May not be the worst but close to the end of Wind Waker, having to find those Triforce pieces felt real unnecessary.

Frostinferno

Oct 25, 2017
Lightning Returns is almost entirely filler/padding.

It has about five hours of main quests and 30 hours of doing silly underdeveloped side quests and creature farming for drops.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
any game that makes you do pointless side quests to get the true ending so ys 8 and smt 4

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Xenoblade games are awesome, outside X for obvious reasons. But most of the side stuff is optional, they're all killer no filler in terms of main story.

FFXV just isn't complete, if anything the game needs padding lol
I love the xenoblade games Especially X haha
Maybe I misunderstand the padding then... if we're talking main story then I guess I'll stick with FFVII remake

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
I remember loving Megaman: Battle Network 2 as a kid, but I replayed it recently and got really frustrated at the clear attempts at padding out play time.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
FFVIIR
2020-04-15.jpg

Someone needs to tell whoever made this image that the original FF7 remastered is on the PS Store, Steam And Switch right now and they can play it wherever they want. Seems like thats what they're looking for.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Any game that makes you go back and do every boss fight again

Also, The Great Maze in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Took way too damn long to finish it.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
People complaining about FFVIIR don't know what padding means.
unnecessary new characters and weird nonsensical battles? ... look some of it is even really enjoyable but it's 5 hours of filler between getting off the train and getting to tifa's place... lol... somehow they managed to turn 5 minutes into 5 hours... amazing really. This whole game is a pad so they can buy themselves time in making the rest of it... haha... I'm not how anyone could think that it doesn't have padding when it's whole existence is to pad out the experience across multiple releases.

Like I said I like it... but its all over the place.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
The Library is probably most people's first reaction, especially from Halo itself, but I'd pick Assault on the Control Room first (at least, I think that's the one).

Something like half a dozen copy/pasted bridges and room segments that you get to go through - and then in a later level you replay the same goddamn thing but backwards.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Arkham Knight Riddler boss fight. You solve all the side mission challenges then the boss fight starts. He takes like one hit and leaves and goes "haha! I won't ACTUALLY fight you until you find all my trophies!" Go fuck yourself, Riddler. Fight me.

FFVIIR
2020-04-15.jpg

I wouldn't call FF7 filler heavy. The same sections are there, they're just much longer than they were originally (like the junkyard and the 2nd reactor being a couple of screens as opposed to half hour to an hour long actual levels). There are side missions sure but you could skip most of those if you really needed to. If the game was the exact same length there would be so many more complaints.

Besides, the added content does add important stuff so it's not like it's not enjoyable. What can anyone tell me about Biggs from the original FF7?