What is the worst Anniversary celebration in video game history

• It's Sonic 06

Votes: 37 49.3%
  • No, Really it's Sonic 06 and Sonic the Hedgehog Advance

Votes: 48 64.0%
  • It's something else (elaborate in reply)

Votes: 12 16.0%

• Total voters

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
They say teenage years are rough but I can't imagine anything rougher than Sonic 15th anniversary

It got the double whammy of
81zTEGsWsOL._AC_UL600_SR600,600_.jpg

and
s-l1600.jpg

And it's even more surprising when you consider that Sonic Anniversaries are usually pretty good
sonic_anniversaries_by_skcollabs_debgroo-pre.jpg

Heck 2021 was the year they showed Sonic Frontier !

So what is in your opinion the absolute worst celebration a franchise got?
It's not use if old.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Ape Escape blue balled the hell out of its fans for its 20th anniversary.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is a one and done. I mean, in perspective - Mega Man's 35th Anniversary had nothing, and Mario's 30th had those Switch had those basic 3D game ports I think?, and those are still leagues better than what Sega did with Sonic that year!

Kinthey

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
3VlGZO3.jpg

This logo turning out to be MGS Revengeance's second year anniversary instead of an announcement of a sequel. Almost expert level trolling

OP
OP
mael

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I think this is a one and done. I mean, in perspective - Mega Man's 35th Anniversary had nothing, and Mario's 30th had those Switch had those basic 3D game ports I think?, and those are still leagues better than what Sega did with Sonic that year!
You're thinking of Mario 35th anniversary and we got Mario 3D All Stars, Bowser's Fury, Mario 35 and the game&watch clock thing out of it.
Not glorious or anything but fairly solid.

Mario 30th Anniversary was fantastic!
2 Amiibos

s-l1600.jpg

and we got Super Mario Maker too!

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
3VlGZO3.jpg

This logo turning out to be MGS Revengeance's second year anniversary instead of an announcement of a sequel. Almost expert level trolling

I had completely forgotten about this. I've suffered psychic damage all over again.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
Not exactly a "video game" anniversary, but the WWE 2K20 Smackdown 20th Anniversary edition was awful.

Not only was the game really bad, they messed up the limited edition autograph that was included in this $130~ edition and the wrestler involved had to go out of his way to make it right for people.

solidr

Oct 28, 2017
s-l600.jpg

This thing, a fucking snes mario all stars rom and not even the version with super mario world

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It cant get any worse than a fucked up port of a genesis game and a game so rushed it climbed up the lists of worst game of all time.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
You're thinking of Mario 35th anniversary and we got Mario 3D All Stars, Bowser's Fury, Mario 35 and the game&watch clock thing out of it.
Not glorious or anything but fairly solid.

Mario 30th Anniversary was fantastic!
2 Amiibos

s-l1600.jpg

and we got Super Mario Maker too!
Your right, I somehow remembered the worst bit of that anniversary and blocked out all the good stuff lol. Bowsers Fury alone was well worth it.

kiich

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jan 2, 2018
The whole 25th anniversary of the Persona last year was pretty crazy. We got teased tons of announcements with even teasers leading fans into believing Persona 6 would be announced by the end of it all. Some of the announcements where pretty stupid things such as...wallpapers and I guess kitchen utensils?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Woah op, be careful, the curious sorts that rate sonic 06 have slowly infiltrated this site like hydra or something.
They all whisper "all hail shadow" into each others ears via pms

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Probably Resident Evil. We expected some sort of classic collection, hell even a simple rom dump, but what did we get? Another lame RE MP game.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Persona's 25th anniversary amounting to an illustration, a fork, two cups and a shampoo bottle will never fail to crack me up.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Persona's 25th anniversary amounting to an illustration, a fork, two cups and a shampoo bottle will never fail to crack me up.

I don't remember there getting a fork or a shampoo bottle. I do remember the mouthwash bottles though.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Any anniversary where the publisher basically just publishes an illustration on Twitter.

Of course, as other have mentioned ITT, getting shit on is so much worse than getting nothing. Sonic 2006 is still the "king" there.

Ahh, good ol' Force Fed. Wasn't even a bad game, but it just...wasn't what Metroid fans wanted at all.

Very glad the series is in a better shape now with Dread, Prime 1 Remastered, etc.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
It's definitely Sonic's 15th Anniversary. Ugh.

Banjo-Kazooie's 10th Anniversary was meh too, with the disappointment of Nuts & Bolts. The game bombed so hard it killed the franchise and we haven't had a new Banjo game since. The original HD remaster on Xbox 360 was nice though.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I mean you opened the thread with one of the worst games of all time so yeah it's hard to top it.
Was a real rough year to be a Sonic fan.

On the flipside though, fuck were Generations and Mania both so good as anniversary games.

Stavo

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 26, 2022
Brazil
Resident Evil REverse.
Even more so because it was supposed to be a celebration of the franchise's 25th anniversary but it got delayed for about a year and, despite the fan feedback for REsistance, it was still bundled with RE Village. Meaning you could not purchase it separately.

Federation Force is probably worse, though.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
It's been a slog waiting for all the collections to get released. At least MMBN was received very well. But are they gonna drag their feet with Star Force and Legends or finally do something worthwhile?
I don't have any hope or expectations honestly.

Also, Mega Man 11 supposedly did well all things considered according to Capcom, but then radio silence.

Star Force and Legends? Heh..good luck

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Two of Mega Man's 15th anniversary games are X7 and BN4.

Not as bad as Sonic though because Zero 2 was also released that year and is one of the best games in the series.

OP
OP
mael

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
i realize I put the bar so over the top it's kinda hard to pass.
Like how do you top a game that's usually billed as one of the worst game of all time!
Outside of something like Bomberman Act Zero being an anniversary, it's hard for anything to come close....
Although the Final Fantasy XV funeral stream was mindblowing,
what elevates the thing was the thread here
www.resetera.com

Final Fantasy XV - "Special Program Stream" aka Funeral Service on November 8th

Looks like a stream will be happening at midnight on November 8th EST. Most likely having to do with the new DLC coming soon. Exciting It's either just a comrades update or comrades and a look at the first DLC episode.

Like read from the start, I think the forum went through the 5 stages of grief there.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
It's impossible to beat the double combo of messing up a Genesis port and Sonic 06.

Doing nothing is easily better than that.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Crash got a crappy Mario Party knockoff for his 10th anniversary

It was so bad that even the Sierra producers hated it IIRC

Cian

One Winged Slayer
Feb 17, 2018
Glad to see other folks mention the FFXV Funeral Stream. I don't think its as monumental as Sonic's 15th, but the sheer expectations for the stream and how much it was hyped for the result to be "we're cancelling all the DLC and Tabata doesn't work here anymore" was just unbelievable, an incredible moment in misreading the room