• Just a little bit.

Votes: 120 48.2%
  • No, I don't care.

Votes: 98 39.4%

• Total voters

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
The recent release of the first images of the PlayStation 5 and before the Xbox Series X led many people to discuss the size of these consoles. The height of the PlayStation 5 (estimated in relation to the USB ports) has led many to conclude that it is the largest console console to be launched. It will be?

To answer this question I decided to approach the subject in a less common way: why, instead of comparing linear measures such as height, width and depth, do we not compare the volume that each console has? This approach aims to play with that childish problem of the volume of water in two glasses.
volumeexperiment.jpg
For this, some conditions were adopted:

- Only the original versions of the consoles were considered. No revisions and slim versions.

- The list is not complete. I selected some of the most popular consoles. Some were left out.

- The volume has been "cubed". That is, it is the volume of the parallelepid that circulates the console. It can be said that consoles with many cuts can be less bulky than presented here.

- Power supply volumes have been included. It would be unfair to compare consoles with internal and external sources, since it is an essential component for the operation of the device.

- Some measurements are approximate.

- PlayStation 5 measurements are estimated.

So let's get to the results!

Popular consoles ranked by volume:

o3mWT5A.png

5th gen consoles ranked by volume
q69vcP2.png

6th gen consoles ranked by volume
L4dVBHg.png

7th gen consoles ranked by volume
GlK9XAv.png

8th gen consoles ranked by volume
ZeEJtBZ.png

fviSbg9.png

@edit: As some colleagues have pointed out, some measures have been corrected!

Last edited:

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Are the atari 5200 or those with a included display (vectrex) allowed to enter the contest ?, cuz they were bigger me think.

Ceannaire

Dec 12, 2017
Ireland
Interested to see how heavy the PS5 will be. The OG PS3 was both a large and dense machine. the PS5 seems taller in some comparisons, but wonder if there is just a lot breathing room in the console, same goes for the series X

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
thast is a pretty conservitive estimate on the ps5. we have no idea how deep that thing is. It could be twice as deep as a XBSX

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
I think these numbers are wrong. What was your methodology here? How did you do your estimations of the PS5 volume? While the console is taller it's also much deeper than the Series X, and just by the official specs of the Series X, your numbers are wrong.
Play-Station-5-Comparison.png

Series X
301mm x 151mm x 151mm = 6.863 L

For the PS5, even if we were very conservative about the depth we get a larger volume.

PS5
380 mm x 90mm x 220mm = 7.52400 L

The PS3 is also not a rectangular prism as it has tapering edges on the top, reducing its true volume in a basic calcuation.

edited for litres.

Last edited:

Bo 'n Goblins

May 16, 2020
In the interest of transparency and objectivity I would suggest that it is clearly stated whether the PS5 estimates are for the digital vs. bluray version.

Here is what these folks had to say about cubic inches:
"The PS5's total volume is a little harder to measure, since the system isn't a perfect rectangle. That said, dimension estimates would put the system somewhere on the order of 550 cubic inches, or a little bigger than both the PS3 and original Xbox. The Xbox Series X, meanwhile, clocks in at just 418 cubic inches, according to Digital Foundry's measurements."

Source: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020...oks-to-be-the-biggest-game-console-ever-made/

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'd prefer not to have what is essentially a PC tower in my living room so I can easily tuck it and carry it wherever I want

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
The Wii was a slick device, both in size and design/colour. I do find the Switch to blend better in my living room, more than any other console.

OP
OP
iamandy

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
I think these numbers are wrong. What was your methodology here? How did you do your estimations of the PS5 volume? While the console is taller it's also much deeper than the Series X, and just by the official specs of the Series X, your numbers are wrong.
Play-Station-5-Comparison.png

Series X
301mm x 151mm x 151mm = 6.863 L

For the PS5, even if we were very conservative about the depth we get a larger volume.

PS5
380 mm x 90mm x 220mm = 7.52400 L

The PS3 is also not a rectangular prism as it has tapering edges on the top, reducing its true volume in a basic calcuation.

edited for litres.

Hi! Tks for your answer.

I used the dimensions of this site for Xbox Series X:

https://www.dimensions.com/element/xbox-series-x

That's why I used 310x160x160 mm

5e614bf9cadb54488d6161ef_Dimensions-Guide-Digital-Video-Game-Consoles-XBox-Series-X-Dimensions.svg

And for PS5 I used the measures from that same image, but 10 instead of 9. 380x100x204. What is even bigger than yours! =D

OP
OP
iamandy

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
In the interest of transparency and objectivity I would suggest that it is clearly stated whether the PS5 estimates are for the digital vs. bluray version.

Here is what these folks had to say about cubic inches:
"The PS5's total volume is a little harder to measure, since the system isn't a perfect rectangle. That said, dimension estimates would put the system somewhere on the order of 550 cubic inches, or a little bigger than both the PS3 and original Xbox. The Xbox Series X, meanwhile, clocks in at just 418 cubic inches, according to Digital Foundry's measurements."

Source: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020...oks-to-be-the-biggest-game-console-ever-made/

I used an image that only considers the narrowest part of the console, but I increased that dimension to compensate for the drive. So the total volume should be more or less in the middle of the two versions.

Possibly if I consider the base of the console as ars did, the PS5 will go to the top of the list.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I pre ordered an XBO.

I had an og Xbox, fat PS3.

No, not at all.

I do appreciate when consoles are smaller, the revisions, etc.

Ahh, I see the OP is about volume. This will be interesting, lol.

All I'll say is I misjudged the Series X because of volume. That said, volume doesn't help in the long run for where we place these consoles.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
They are correct for the measurements I used. You can even check the spoiler tag at the end of the OP where I left the excel table with the calculations.
Your calculations are right, but your source measurements are not. Microsoft has released official specifications on the Xbox Series X.

Last edited:
OP
OP
iamandy

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Your calculations are right, but your source measurements are not. Microsoft has released officially specifications on the Xbox Series X.
Yes, the incorrect measurements.
I think OP may be wrong on some of their measurements and they need a refresh. We already know the size of the XSX, so they are way off there. Lets see if it gets corrected.

Example:

Thank you all. I corrected!

For PS4 I used a approximation for the base since I'm using "cubed" results.

RewEMV1.png

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Why Include the power brick when most people would seem to care about the visible size, because of how it would stand out in a room set up, when a power brick can just be hidden behind the setup? Well I mean, at least make it an optional Inclusion because despite my point I actually kinda care about the power brick size, XBOX 360 *stares angrily*

OP
OP
iamandy

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Why Include the power brick when most people would seem to care about the visible size, because of how it would stand out in a room set up, when a power brick can just be hidden behind the setup? Well I mean, at least make it an optional Inclusion because despite my point I actually kinda care about the power brick size, XBOX 360 *stares angrily*

When I was making the list I thought about it. My power sources are hidden. But is it fair to compare the engineering works that manage to put everything together in a compact box with others that throw this problem at the consumer?

I thought it would be comparing very different things. The GameCube is an example. It looks compact, but it has a huge font. The opposite can be said of Dreamcast.

Was it a choice? Yes. But I thought it was fair.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand the switch calculations. Is it the size of the dock? Do we include the attached controllers?

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
This is super interesting.
Wow, so much for Series X being HUGE. It's actually A LOT LESS than 2 gamecubes, even smaller in volume than the X360.
Also wow at One X.

OP
OP
iamandy

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
This is super interesting.
Wow, so much for Series X being HUGE. It's actually A LOT LESS than 2 gamecubes, even smaller in volume than the X360.
Also wow at One X.

Do not forget that GameCube and Xbox 360 had external power bricks that are included. But yes, Series X is smaller than most people perceive.