Rare, Insomniac & Nintendo EPD have the best selling New IP Exclusives this gen. Are you surprised?

• You gotta be kiddin me, Yes!

Votes: 36 19.8%
  • No, these things happen

Votes: 69 37.9%
  • You don"t know what you're talking abt

Votes: 77 42.3%

• Total voters
Aug 26, 2018
These 3 games have the coveted title of being the best selling Exclusives which are New IPs for the Xbox, Nintendo & PS4 this gen.

Sea of Thieves is the best selling New IP & an exclusive (*most players) for Xbox One at 5 Million Players ( As of Aug 1, 2018), I think its around 7-8 Million especially since the game peaked in December when streamers like Ninja, Summit, Dr.Disrespect started playing it. I think after the Anniversary update next month, it will peak again and will be more popular than last year.

1-2 Switch is the best selling New IP & an exclusive for Nintendo Switch at 2.86 Million players ( As of Dec, 2018). While the big hitters for Nintendo have always been the Zelda, Pokemon, Marios of this world, 1-2 Switch being on top is a surprise in my opinion but I really enjoyed my time with it.

Horizon Zero Dawn is the best selling New IP & an exclusive for PS4 at 10 Million which was announced on its 2 year anniversary ( Feb 28, 2019) which is an incredible number for a new IP. This is even more commendable considering Killzone,their last release didnt exactly set the stage on fire for being a launch title for the PS4.

My question to you all, you see the list, what do you all think?

If I told you at the start of this gen that Rare, Guerilla Games & Nintendo EPD(Arms was made by the 'Garage' team inside EPD) how would you react?

Last edited:

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Is Spider Man really considered a new IP? It probably has more video games in its history than any other superhero.

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Sea of Thieves - Players =/= "best selling"
Arms - 1-2-Switch sold more
Spider-Man - Not a new IP

Close thread.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Splatoon sold more than Arms, and probably Sea of Theives.

plus Arms is 9th gen and all the others are 8th

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
To be fair, Microsoft hasn't released many new IPs with the potential to be comercial hits. Spider-Man doesn't count either imo, considering how it's motherfucking Spider-Man.

Arms is really surprising, I imagined Splatoon on the Wii U would've sold more.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Next thing you'll tell me is that a Mickey Mouse game is a new IP :P

But yes ARMS deserves respect

Although technically you have Splatoon and 1 2 Switch for new IPs too for Nintendo

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
How the heck is Spider-man a new IP? As a licensed game, by definition it cannot be.

Not to mention there are a bunch of other Spider-man games.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Shouldn't 1-2 Switch be above ARMS (unless you discount potential sales from console bundles)? And I'm not sure if counting Spider-Man, a known property, is exactly fair. Either way, I'm happy for the success of the games mentioned.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Sony - Horizon Zero Dawn
Microsoft - Sea Of Thieves
Nintendo - Eirher Splatoon ( For Wii U), 1,2, Switch if you include copies from consoles, or Arms

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
BladeRunner2099
Aug 26, 2018
Spider-Man is not a new IP.
Is Spider Man really considered a new IP? It probably has more video games in its history than any other superhero.
Spider-man isn't a new IP.
Next thing you'll tell me is that a Mickey Mouse game is a new IP :P

But yes ARMS deserves respect

Although technically you have Splatoon and 1 2 Switch for new IPs too for Nintendo
How the heck is Spider-man a new IP? As a licensed game, by definition it cannot be.

Not to mention there are a bunch of other Spider-man games.
Have you heard about this niche comic superhero called Spider-Man?

I don't know what I was thinking but I'm sorry, got it wrong. It was HZD for Sony.

Last edited:

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sea Of thieves moved 5 million units? When did this happen?

Edit

I hit google and can't find any info to support this so I'm confused as to when this happened.

edamame

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad ARMS was successful. I'm not good at it but I loved playing it! I still have the theme song in my workout music rotation. Now where's that comic book at, Dark Horse...we're still waiting!

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I would think Labo has sold better than Arms if you combined their SKUs together but with Labo only Nintendo would know the number of unique households to contain Labo.

Also Splatoon is really the new IP that sold best this gen.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hell naw. At best maybe 1 million
Players are not the same as sales OP, and you know that; people have already told you

This is misleading. I'm not getting into the mau argument but I tried SOT for ÂŁ1 and OP is turning that into a sale? And also claims that the game is 7-8 million when it barely registered at retail here in Europe? And fell of the NPD after the first/second month?

Just wow!

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
These 3 games have the coveted title of being the best selling Exclusives which are New IPs for the Xbox, Nintendo & PS4 this gen.

Sea of Thieves is the best selling New IP & an exclusive (*most players) for Xbox One at 5 Million Players ( As of Aug 1, 2018), I think its around 7-8 Million especially since the game peaked in December when streamers like Ninja, Summit, Dr.Disrespect started playing it. I think after the Anniversary update next month, it will peak again and will be more popular than last year.

Arms is the best selling New IP & an exclusive for Nintendo Switch at 2.1 Million players ( As of Sept 30, 2018). While the big hitters for Nintendo have always been the Zelda, Pokemon, Marios of this world, Arms has carved an audience for itself with good content updates.

Spider Man is the best selling New IP & an exclusive for PS4 at 9 Million players ( As of Jan 7, 2019). For all of Sony's famous in house Developers, it was Insomniac, a 3rd Party that delivered the goods. Now many of you will say its Horizon Zero Dawn at 10 Million which was announced on its 2 year anniversary ( Feb 28, 2019) but I think Spider Man would have sold 1+ Million in Jan, Feb and overtook HZD which at this point wont be selling similar to Spider Man which is only 6 months old.

My question to you all, you see the list, what do you all think?

If I told you at the start of this gen that Rare, Insomniac & Nintendo EPD(Arms was made by the 'Garage' team inside EPD) how would you react?

CORRECTION: I don't know why I put Spiderman as a new IP, I was wrong. I also considered Nintendo Switch as this gen, could have taken Wii U but Nintendo Switch was a new gen console unlike 1x and Pro which is why I took it as current gen.

Are you seriously sitting up here trying to claim Sea of Thieves sold 8 million units? Or even 5 million? Where is your source for this? And Spider-Man may not be a new IP, but Horizon Zero Dawn is. And Horizon Zero Dawn has sold well over 10 million units.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure if SoT has really sold more than Quantum Break. I'm sure a lot of those SoT players are coming from gamepass
it may not have technically sold the most copies, but it's for sure the new IP that has made the most money for MS. with game pass now being a thing, it's going to matter less and less in MS's opinion how many actual copies a game has sold.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2099
Aug 26, 2018
Are you seriously sitting up here trying to claim Sea of Thieves sold 8 million units? Or even 5 million? Where is your source for this? And Spider-Man may not be a new IP, but Horizon Zero Dawn is. And Horizon Zero Dawn has sold well over 10 million units.

https://www.seaofthieves.com/news/five-million-players is the source for 5 Million.

As far as 8 Million, many streamers started playing sea of thieves especially after the Shrouded Spoils update in late november, the really famous ones like Ninja, Summit1g, Dr.Disrespect, KingGothalion who all have sizable following and we know what happens when the big ones start playing them to the sales, so I thought another 2-3 Million from Aug-March 2019 was not unreasonable. Joe Neate, in many dev updates spoke about the big spike in players after cursed sales.

Spider Man, I was wrong.