Horse Armour

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_in_video_gaming

For me, it has to be Sea of Thieves. The game has been in development for a really long time by a fairly large developer so it must have churned through a massive pile of cash. I can't say I've seen a massive amount of excitement for it, especially considering the number of sales it will need to be considered successful when considering its likely development budget. There's also a good chance that PUBG will still be sucking up all the air for Xbox gamers in March.

With Microsoft's focus on games as a service, I can easily see them shutting Rare down if it does flop.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I can top Sea of Thieves, sadly. I just don't see it being something that delivers long-term.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I feel like Sea of Thieves will actually be successful if it's good.

Now Crackdown 3 on the other hand... I'm not feeling too confident about this one.

DREAMS is another one. It looks brilliant, but I don't know if it's something the market will care about. Hope I'm wrong though.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
Crackdown? I can see it sent out quietly after the very long development period.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Sea of Thieves will be way more relevant over time compared to fuckin Crackdown 3 lol

They really greenlit that sequel

Oh yeah Days Gone too, Sony Bend will probably close afterwards if it doesn't meet expectations

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
Sea of thieves / Skull and Bones. I think only one of them makes out doing well over the longer term (depending on release dates of course)

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
SoT has been largely positive from what i've seen of the alpha. i *think* it'll do at least reasonably well - it may even be huge. but yeah, i could also see it being overlooked.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Dreams will probably flop too

I think it will sell okay. Enough to make its money back though? Not sure. They've been developing that game for quite some time.

I have a feeling Crackdown will not make its money back either.

Hopefully I'm wrong though, I don't want them to fail.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I can see Crackdown bombing if it isn't polished to the standard needed.

Otherwise my money is definitely on Metal Gear Survive.

Also I think Sea of Thieves will do very well. Obviously it depends if the content is there long term.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It pains me to say it, but I'm gonna call out Dreams as a potential flop. I think it'll have a small but dedicated fanbase, but it won't come anywhere near being a "success".

Deleted member 5398

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From what Ive played of the Sea of Thieves alpha the game shows a lot of potential, It could be huge if MS/Rare don't fuck it up and don't skimp out on the content.

On the other hand, Crackdown 3 looks like a stinker. Wouldn't be surprised if it gets cancelled, cant see it doing well critically or commercially.

HitMissYeah

Oct 30, 2017
Not speaking of biggest flop, but I can see Ni No Kuni 2 underperforming. Not sure why, just a feeling. Hope it will do well, game looks lovley! Wish you the best in March, Level 5!

king_kerry

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Anthem has the biggest potential to flop.
MGS: Survive - I'm iffy about. Everyone wants it to fail so bad that I can see some parts being fun thus surprising people; changing the perception of the game. But that is IF there are good parts.
Spider-Man PS4 - there's a lot of hype around this and I want this game to be amazing. Insomniac is a great developer, but part of me is thinking that peoples' hype will be so grand that some flaws may diminish the light of this game.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
My guess is Metal Gear Survive - I don't think Konami has any good will left and most MGS fans are more hyped for Death Stranding and waiting for that.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Days Gone is going to be another Horizon situation all over again.

People think it's gonna bomb and it ends up being a huge success.

Spider-Man PS4 - there's a lot of hype around this and I want this game to be amazing. Insomniac is a great developer, but part of me is thinking that peoples' hype will be so grand that some flaws may diminish the light of this game.

Even those shitty Spiderman games last gen sold decently. I can't see this one bombing, especially if it's good. It's going to have both Sony and Marvel marketing strength behind it.

Hell, even if it's mediocre, it's not going to bomb.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow there are a lot of games with major flop potential next year. Days Gone and Sea of Thieves get my vote. Oh and Crackdown.

Magicpork

Oct 28, 2017
let's see how accurate our predictions are this year.. I assume if you asked the same question this time last year, the answer would probably be the Switch :)

Sea of Thieves does look rough to me.. at least for now

Mashing

Oct 28, 2017
I do not believe Dreams has a chance of being financially successful. It'll have a cult following and probably a critical darling, but that'll be it.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Days Gone and Detroit are good candidates as well.
I'm doubtibg Days Gone will flop due to it being an exclusive Sony is hyping up, but Detroit has no chance of flopping. Heavy Rain sold gangbusters, and even the middling Beyond 2 Souls, and relatively niche Until Dawn both sold over 1 million rather quickly.

With as much as Sony is hyping up Detroit, the only way it doesn't surpass 1 mil is if it goes against something like Red Dead 2.

Venom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Metal Gear Survive, Sea of Thieves, crackdown and God of War.

As much as I like the look of SoT, it just stinks of a No Man's Sky type of situation. Not in terms of lies or anything, just in terms of what do you do? What's the end game? What's the point to it all?

As for GoW, it looks so different to any other GoW, personally I like the look of it and the focus on story is a direction that appeals to me. However I don't think the long term fans are all that excited going by the buzz online (not just here).

Metal Gear speaks for itself... so does Crackdown.

I'd like to be wrong though.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Always difficult really. Expected Fortnite to bomb after the first stuff we saw and first previews. But it did fairly well.
Although Battle Royal seemed to have saved it in a kind of way. So i was abit right haha. I see nobody playing the PVE mode.

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
Anthem.

Pretty sure most games suggested ITT will be one of the Xbox exclusives, though.

Fawk Nin

Nov 6, 2017
If Metroid Prime 4 hits in 2018 (probably not), I hope to god it is both a critical and commerical success.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That Ubisoft toys to life game. The bubble has already burst.

I also think Code Vein will flop. I don't think there's much overlap between Souls fans and anime fans.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear Solid seems likely.

And, if it releases in 2018...

Bayonetta 3