• Microsoft

Votes: 41 10.3%
  • Sony

Votes: 113 28.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
With new consoles launching soon, allow us to relive our favorite console launch. If you could include a little story or anecdote it would be nice :)
For me, it has to be the Switch since it was the first console I've bought on launch day. The store messes up my preorder so I had to buy one from the stock they had there. But Zelda was worth it.

I've added a poll but since there's so many options I reduced it to the hardware manufacturer.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
My only real launch memory is lining up outside of Target 3 days before the ps3 came out. Others in line weren't too happy when one of us would leave to go to work/home/school/whatever.

Egocrata

Aug 31, 2019
SNES.

Got a VHS tape with a magazine that was an extended ad. BLEW my mind. Got it at the end of the school year. Never looked back. Best console ever.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
N64 and first booting up Mario 64 easily. Runner up would be the PSP - watching the Spiderman UMD and playing Virtua Tennis on it felt like something from the future.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Most fond either Wii or PS3, I didn't even really use the Wii after I got it but the hunt with my parents was so fun, sold out all the time, people camping, going crazy. Plus if I remember right it was around the same time as that tickle me Elmo doll everyone wanted.

PS3 just because it was the first console I'd be buying with my own money and I was so excited, bought it and had no games for months lol

I wouldn't say fond for it but PS4 was cool because Amazon sent me 2 on accident.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
PS2. It's the only console I waited in line for, although I have bought many of them day 1, this one I had to wait in a 12 hour line outside of a Best Buy, and it was just a great flipping time. A bunch of people getting to know each other, playing football in the parking lot and sending randoms on snack runs. Good shit.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
For launch nothing will top the Dreamcast.

There we so many great games available and will be the biggest jump graphically this industry will ever see

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
The Gamecube, it was such a massive upgrade over the previous gen and the N64. And although it wasn't released on launch day(launch window), Smash Bros Melee was one of the best launch window games ever.

Parcas

Dec 12, 2017
Nintendo Wii launch was magical, just how it captured everyone's attention, playing with family on Wii sports, Zelda...

crookedaxis

Oct 27, 2017
Switch. It was the only console i bothered buying at launch because of Zelda. Was not fun paying nearly $800 for it at the time, but that's the brazilian experience.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Whoops, I thought this was going to be a generation question.

For me it would have to be the Microsoft 360 launch because it was the first console I got at launch window since it was the first one that I afford without needing to ask parents for money.

The videos and screenshots were also hyping me up, it truly looked like next-gen (Even though it wasn't really until Gears).

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I'm not even sure why but the 360 may be the console i have the fondest memory of at launch. I think it was probably a combination of my age and the hype i had for halo 3. The N64 i had more fun with but i don't remember it quite as well.

Samurai 47

Jan 6, 2018
United States
Nintendo Switch all the way. I remember the excitement when I booted up the console playing Breath of the wild, as a long time handheld gamer (been through DS, 3DS, PSP era), still feeling so wild you can play full home console game on this tiny console.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Switch was amazing with Breath of the Wild. Played it all night then went to school the next day. Could barely keep my eyes open.

Ozzie666

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
PS2, had to arrive at 4AM in the blistering cold weather. They gave out tickets and I was the second last one to get one. I ended up with a terrible cold, but I had the newest NHL to keep me company for the next week in bed.

CoinReturn

Nov 7, 2017
I was the rich kid on the block with all the consoles from NES onward. Out of all of them, Dreamcast was the most extraordinary console launch, and playing the Mario 64 demo kiosks at Toys R Us before the N64 launch was my most memorable experience.

Jan 16, 2019
My favorite is Xbox One, only because it was the first console I purchased day one at a midnight release as an adult with a few buddies.

Not my favorite console ever but my favorite launch memory wise.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It's easily the Wii for me. I was 12 when it came out which is like the perfect age for a console launch (at least if you were exposed to games from a young age like I was, I guess if you started gaming older high school would probably be preferable). I was old enough to have experienced the entirety of the Gamecube's lifespan from start to finish, so I was familiar with what the lifecycle of a console is like (and I was there for the last couple of years of the N64 as well), but not old enough to the point where cynicism had crept in, as new games still had that sense of childhood novelty. I spent all Summer anticipating that console and when it released it delivered, as Twilight Princess is one of my favorite games ever and the thing became a cultural sensation.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I've only been involved with one launch: the Wii. It actually took like a week or so to finally get one because my pre-order wasn't part of the first batch. I got Zelda: TP, ExciteTruck, Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz, and Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam (the latter two I didn't care for and traded in.). I had also bought a USB Wi-Fi Adapter because I didn't understand how our Internet worked...and the connection was spotty at best, but I was able to download F-Zero, Bomberman '93, and Bonk's Adventure. I was amazed at Twilight Princess, still the best Zelda I've played.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
So I had no intentions of buying a Switch at launch. I was going to hold off because I had plenty of games to still play and thought that I could get a bundle down the road. Mario was coming out later in the year and I wanted to play that, so I could wait. Plus, the game I wanted to play the most was Zelda and that was on Wii U so I could just play it there. I still wanted to play Zelda at midnight though, so I headed out to a 24/7 grocery that I've used for midnight launches.

Now, I had no intention of buying a Switch. I didn't even leave until after midnight to make sure I wasn't tempted because they had to have been sold out by the time I got there. And so I get to the store and they have stacks of them. More than enough for everyone in line, and more than enough for people who get in line after me. I'm still adamant that they'll run out before I get up there and that I don't want one, I'm only getting Zelda.

The cashier just asked what games and accessories I wanted and if the gray controllers were fine because they were out of red/blue. He had it scanned before I even got up there. "Yep, that's fine. Zelda please." And that's how I ended up with a Switch on launch day. With the games I've played since, it was not a bad choice in the end.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I don't think I've ever had a console at launch.

However, the Dreamcast was magical when it released. The buildup to it, the games it released with, how far ahead it was of... well, everybody. "Arcade perfect" was a term thrown around a lot back then, what console ports strived to be, and when the DC launched it finally seemed to be the norm (not really, but close enough anyway).

I remember saving up and going to buy the DC with Sega Rally 2, and it came in a cool black bag with the DC logo in white. I still have it.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Jumping around in 3D in Super Mario 64 was magical, but GameCube's launch was a far better experience for me. I was in high school at that point, and me and my friends had enough pocket money to buy and share games. There were so many amazing GC titles in that November/December launch period, such as Super Smash Bros Melee, Star Wars Rogue Squadron II, Super Monkey Ball, Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion, and Wave Race: Blue Storm. And the GC had actual third-party support like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3, SSX Tricky, and all the sports games. It was also a HUGE jump going from ugly, janky 3D games to smooth, pretty-looking games. The graphics in Rogue Squadron II, Luigi's Mansion, and Wave Race were mindblowingly impressive and still look good today.

My grades took a hit that school year because of how much time I spent gaming with friends. SSBM, in particular, was a massive timesink. I got my shit together in the fall though. But yeah, the first several months of GC was a crazy stupid time.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Playstation 1 was pure hype. Wipeout, Ridge Racer, Battle Arena Tohshinden, CD audio, everything looked and sounded sooo much better than anything else you could play at home. I can't even say how many times I ran that demo disc with the dinosaur and manta ray.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TurboGrafx + Genesis
www.resetera.com

Remembering the 16-bit console launches - 30 years later

30 years ago, July 1989. We're less than a month away from the launch of (two of) the 16-bit consoles in North America. What did you think about this time period, pre-launch and the early months of releases? Feel free to discuss the launch era of these systems for other regions, too. And even if...

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
My only real console at launch memory is for the PS4. I worked at Target at the time and pre-ordered it through there, and showed up at 8am to pick it up on my day off. The super cool part was that I got to use my 10% team member discount, the 5% redcard discount, and an additional 10% discount on electronics via a coupon sent out to team members. Don't think I was supposed to be able to do that, but a friend of mine was the manager and did an override.

Ended up paying like $335 for it in all, bought Killzone and Battlefield 4 and had a great time that day. Showed Killzone to my older brother to show off just how good the new console looked, and then wrote a review on it for my games blog.

Was a great time, and a great start for a dope console.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
So it's a tie for me.
Nintendo wii I waited outside in the cold for 2-3 days.
Xbox 360 I got a week early after gamestop called me to come pick it up and I got 3 games and loved all of them.
These 2 were BY FAR the most hyped I've ever been for console launches.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
The first console I got near launch was the GameCube, I think that Christmas. The NES etc... I would always get years later. Anyway, with the GameCube I had Rogue Squadron and Luigi's Mansion. Fun times. And the first (and last) console I actually lined up for was the Wii. Walmart let us sit in the Garden Section, so had a roof at least.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
OG Xbox with 3 friends crowded around a tiny TV playing MP Halo: CE.

Nothing can ever top that.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I was able to buy my Wii at the NOA company store at launch. Got it with Twilight Princess and Trauma Center!

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Dreamcast, I took a day off from school to go pick it up and bought most the launch games.

Second is the Xbox 360, called in sick to work so I could set for 18 hours at a Walmart after GameStop fucked me over on my pre-order.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
OP, your survey lists companies and not consoles.

Microsoft, Nintendo, Sony and Sega have had both great and horrible launches each.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Launches I had a good time with: PS2, DS, Vita and PSP.

I didn't get my PS1, Game Boy Colour or GBA at launch, but those were really cool too (my parents told me we were going to the dentist after picking me up from school... And then drove me to an electronics store for the PS1, which was the first game system I got).

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll appreciate the Wii launch more and more as time goes on. First time I was old enough to camp out overnight for a new console, also pre-internet preorders completely taking over everything to the point where people don't really camp out for shit anymore.

Also helped that it launched with a new Zelda game. Played Tetris DS with everyone in line, froze my balls off in -20 degree Canadian November weather. Good times, good times.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
Weirdly, PlayStation 3. I was so hyped.

I still adore Resistance and MotorStorm to this day.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Honestly some of the most exiting times I ever felt toward video games was the months leading up to N64
That was the first time I remember knowing about a console before it launched. Those kiosks were magical.
the sounds
The colors
The toys r us
The VHS tapes and Nintendo powers leading up to it...

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
9/9/99

Maybe cheating, as it is the only time I picked up a console a launch? Strong feelings all the same.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
My first ever console launch experience was with the X360. Preordering a launch console in September, and then finding out come the day before release in November that you missed the cut off by 5 people and thus won't be getting a unit till the next wave, was crushing to me. I had to sit there with my CE copy of Perfect Dark Zero for a full month post launch before EB Games had a console for me. I read that game manual like a million times.

The next year we didn't pre-order a PS3 so we had to wait till January for units to become available. I remember walking into the Best Buy that had them in stock, seeing them on the shelf, asking a sales person if they were for sale, and then buying it. I had taken a bus from LaSalle all the way to almost the other side of Windsor Ontario, and the nice cashier noticed my school backpack and double bagged the console for me. I then had to take a bus to Future Shop to buy an HDCP compatible DVI monitor (I think HDMI monitors were either unavailable or way too pricey). Taking that console out of the box was still my most hyped moment. Such a premium feeling machine.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
The launch itself - definitely the Wii. On launch night, my friend and I knew the staff at the local game store where we'd pre-ordered, and they invited us inside. Instead of waiting in a line like so many other launches, we spent the hours until midnight playing games on the store's TVs. Mostly Melee, as I recall.

Runner up - the Nintendo 64. I'd pre-ordered it for $249 at Electronics Boutique, due to arrive on 9/29. Instead, they called a day early, to let me know stores were breaking street date and I could pick it up immediately, Plus, Nintendo had lowered the price, so they owed me back $50. That's hard to beat.

On the game side: the Switch. Breath of the Wild is such a joy, probably my favorite game ever. No other launch game, not even the amazing, world-changing Mario 64, can top it for the best launch experience.

Runner-up: the Gamecube. It's the only console I've picked up pre-launch (US), as I'd imported the Japanese version. Playing Monkey Ball and Wave Race before launch was very cool. And even Rogue Leader, by a couple of days, as instructions to mod the Japanese unit hit the internet a few days before the US launch, which turned out to be quite easy to do, and Funcoland sold me the game 10 days early.

And there you are. All Nintendo launches. Well, what can I say, they're the best. Not that I haven't had great experiences with the other companies, I certainly have. My first Day 1 console, the PS1, was unforgettable. Hell, just that pre-launch demo disc is a thrill. Soul Calibur on Dreamcast was mind-blowing. Even some now quite unimpressive games, like the first few Xbox 360 games I beat - King Kong, Kameo, and Call of Duty 2 - were a memorable thrill to play at that point.

There's hardly been a launch that I didn't love. And I won't shame them here. :)