DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
41Gijd%2BdomL._AC_.jpg

Scrappy is seen as the one of the most hated characters of all time and his name is used to indicate a hated character in the audience. The Scooby Doo franchise just acts like he never existed and even in things he was a part of, he's not mentioned such as the OK KO Ghoul School, 13th ghost follow up. He's treated like a nuisance by both CN and the live action movie has him as the villain. Honestly, when I first heard how hated he was, I was surprised as I didn't mind him as a kid as in certain movies, he wasn't that bad. So what do you think of his status

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Dude is annoying, always loud and starting trouble. Still not as annoying as Sesame Street's Elmo, though.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
he was an unneeded distraction to the scooby doo formula

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
he is the mascot of lots of bad things with the scooby franchise

that being said, there are LOTS of thing worse than him on the franchise

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't like the fact that the Scooby Doo franchise itself is playing this up, with the characters pretending he wasn't part of 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo and such. I liked him just fine as a kid, and I haven't watched anything with him in ages, but even if I do find him annoying as an adult, I don't think treating him badly is the right route.

Oct 28, 2018
I can not believe I just realized that he's called "Scrappy" Doo because he's always trying to get into fights. Mind blown.

TurokTTZ

Oct 25, 2017
I never found him annoying.

Hell Scrappy is fine with me.

What exactly is everyone's problem with him?

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
An interesting read from the writter who contribuited greatly to the creation of the character:

In setting the schedule for that year, it had come down to a decision between renewing Scooby or picking up a new series — the pilot script for which I'd written — from another studio. Joe Barbera called me in and said, approximately, "If this doesn't work, Scooby's dead. We have this new character that I came up with…" And he showed me sketches of Scrappy Doo, explaining that this was Scooby's nephew. We would add him to the show and this would make things just "fresh" enough, while still keeping the winning Scooby formula intact, that ABC would order thirteen more episodes. And thirteen more for the season after that, and then there would be the season after that…

As Mr. Barbera told me how he saw Scrappy Doo, I kept thinking of Henery Hawk. Barbera never said that name and may not have even realized he was describing the pint-sized chicken hawk from several WB epics. But that's what it sounded like they wanted. So I went home and wrote a short scene, imagining Scrappy to have Henery Hawk's voice and swagger, and when Mr. B. read it, he called and said, "You've nailed it. That's exactly what I had in mind."

Menome

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I loved him when I was young and he was part of why I watched Scooby-Doo. Nowadays, I get why he's annoying, but I can still watch the episodes with him in.

modoversus

Oct 25, 2017
México
Just remembered that I tought he was ok, and it was not until the Internet that I knew that people hated him and Flim Flam.

I liked 13 ghosts, even tough I tought it was weird that Velma and Fred were not part of the cast.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I liked Scrappy lol. I just didn't like the series themselves once he was introduced outside of his first series, but not because of him himself.

Nov 14, 2017
I remember going out DnB raving back in the day and hearing the MC call out 'da da dada da daaaa!' with the crowd calling back 'Puppy Power!'. So like, there's some love bruv. Some love for sure.

Buttonbasher

Dec 4, 2017
I was once getting a haircut at a Great Clips, and the entire place was silent for the duration of the haircut, until the lady cutting my hair turned around to another stylist to say:

"Hey, what was Scooby Doo's cousin called?"

to which the other lady said with confidence:

"Yippie Doo"

My stylist said "Yeah! Yippie Doo! Doug got Yippie Doo tattooed on the back of his head! Doug..."

The entire place returned to silence until I left. I think about that all the time.

EDIT: The haircut turned out pretty solid

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I liked Scrappy enough, I just didn't like some of those cartoons that have didn't have Velma or Fred, but that's more because they were the de facto "What's new Scooby Doo?" team. Flim Flam is cool too, maybe the teenage Flim-Flam will keep appearing in future SD films and so.

I think the James Gunn film really overblew the hate towards Scrappy.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

CDo9cQC.png

dude is the 3rd most annoying character in this image

and looking at the scooby doo wiki, dude is at least memorable comparable with

YpbzvSp.png

Flim-Flam was much, much, much more obnoxious than Scrappy-Doo.

Also, '70s/'80s cartoons, and Hanna-Barbera in particular, were experts of taking the worst aspect of a show and reworking it to be the main aspect.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
There's very few cartoon characters I wished were real so they could get hit by a steamroller.

Scrappy is one of those characters. The entire non-standard cast in 13 ghosts are others. The entire A Pup Named Scooby rendition is another.

CJSeven

Oct 30, 2018
It's actually a lesson that more tv/movie writers need to learn—if a character is annoying to the in-universe 'normal' characters, there's a good chance they're annoying to viewers, too. Only, we're able to change the channel and watch something else.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hated Scrappy Doo before the modern internet existed. I didn't like those episodes when they'd play on Cartoon Express on USA network. Scrappy was always so annoying. Even worse is the offensive asian stereotype cousin of Scooby that showed up for a while, too.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
100% deserved, he's one of the most annoying additions to a series ever. The reason I grew up not caring that much about Scooby Doo is because for years they only broadcast repeats of the Scrappy Doo era episodes here.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Even as a kid I disliked him, just a one-note annoyance. I know calling him one note is dumb in a show with a pretty rigid formula, but he stuck out even in that framework as being more one dimensional than the rest. Little git. Not quite as bad as Slimer in Real Ghostbusters, but same ball park.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Well, I was never a fan of Scooby Doo anyways, so perhaps that's why I didn't mind him too much. I don't quite understand why people hate him that much. It's one thing to hate him as an obnoxious character that was added in to refresh a dying show, but the vitrol is on another level. And I just came from the FFVII:Remake spoiler thread.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I never hated the character as much as others, I hated how the series moved away from the mystery solving with a team of characters to just Scooby, Shaggy, and Scrappy doing shenanigans. Daphine did rejoin and 13 ghost was decent, but as a whole that era of SD felt horribly misguided on what made the show work.